Texas nationalist group rallies for secession

Go for it, douchebags

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Texas nationalist group rallies for secession

#1  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 06, 2011 3:33 pm

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/pol ... 58701.html

AUSTIN — The Texas Nationalist Movement marked Texas Independence Day with a rally on Saturday at the Capitol urging Texans to save the state by seceding from the United States.

A small but enthusiastic group of Texans gathered on the steps of the Capitol, as an assortment of massive Texas flags blew above them in the chilly afternoon breeze.

Outrage was spread evenly toward Democrats and Republicans as leaders of the movement expressed their disgust for the growing national debt and the federal government's treatment of Texas.

"Texas can take better care of itself than Washington," said Lauren Savage, vice president of the movement. "We are here to raise interest in the Legislature of the possibility of secession to cure the ills of America."

Members are demanding that state lawmakers introduce a bill that would allow Texans to vote on whether to declare independence.

Fed up with federal mandates, the burden of unsustainable taxes and disregarded votes, members say secession has been a long time coming.

"This is a cake that's been baking for 85 years," said Cary Wise, membership director of the Texas Nationalist Movement. "All this administration has done is light the candles."

Demonstrators said they have had enough of state leaders who are conservative in rhetoric but big government proponents in reality, calling out GOP Gov. Rick Perry as one of the biggest frauds.

"I would love to debate Rick Perry live because we could once and for all show that the guy is a big government fraud who claims to be conservative," said Eric Kirkland, member of the Constitution Party of Texas.

CONTINUED
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Texas nationalist group rallies for secession

#2  Postby laklak » Mar 06, 2011 4:14 pm

We'd have club together and hire a coyote to smuggle you out 914, you'd be deep in enemy territory.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 06, 2011 4:51 pm

laklak wrote:We'd have club together and hire a coyote to smuggle you out 914, you'd be deep in enemy territory.

Thanks!

Still, outwitting Texas border guards can't be that damn hard.

"These are not the droids you're looking for."

"Say what?"

"These are not the droids you're looking for. Hail Palin."

"Oh, okay then, go ahead."
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby The Plc » Mar 06, 2011 5:05 pm

It seems they have serious grievances - who isn't annoyed at deceitful and hypocritical politicians? And at least they've shown a bit of sharpness in recognising that the Republicans, for all their free Market rhethoric, are just interested in maintaining that nice big corporate and financial nanny state for their donors and associates, something the rest of America appears to be blind to.
The Plc

Print view this post

#5  Postby chairman bill » Mar 06, 2011 5:10 pm

I think you should give Texas back to the Mexicans, and sell Alaska back to the Russians. $5 should about cover the paperwork expense. Let Spain have Florida, give the mid-West to the various dis-possessed First Nations, keep California & the eastern seaboard & states along the Canadian border. Better still, let us have our colonies back. That should sort most of your problems.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby nojesusknowpeace » Mar 06, 2011 6:01 pm

As usual, a group representing a tiny portion of a society is given press far beyond the range of its own importance.
There have been more than a few "Texas separatist movements" in the past and all have ended as this one likely will: in failure.
Texas is currently experiencing a financial crisis from which it will take years to recover.
Any talk of "secession" would have to take that into account.... and probably won't.
All human behavior can be explained by two things: 1) No one can ever really change...and 2) Nobody ever really learns their "lesson."
nojesusknowpeace

Name: J Mixon

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby lordshipmayhem » Mar 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Strange. I was assured that it was the United States that had to secede from Texas...
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Weaver » Mar 06, 2011 9:37 pm

Texas is in the bottom 5 States for child poverty, child nutrition, school dropout rates, educational standards, and a host of other metrics - in spite of Federal mandates to try to drag them upwards.

Fuck 'em - let them go and watch as they collapse. It would serve as a good example to the other idiots.

Well, you'd think so, anyways - but, apparently they didn't learn much from their last shot at secession.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby locutus7 » Mar 06, 2011 10:14 pm

Yes, let them, and some of the other southern states, secede. It will raise the IQ of the rest of the country and get rid of a bunch of evangelicals. Wonder if that nationalist group accepts donations?
"The idea of a "god" creating the Universe is a mechanistic absurdity clearly derived from the making of machines by men." Fred Hoyle

"Your book of myths is about as much use as a fishnet condom is for birth control." Cali
locutus7

Print view this post

#10  Postby quill » Mar 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Weaver wrote: let them go and watch as they collapse. It would serve as a good example to the other idiots.

Well, you'd think so, anyways - but, apparently they didn't learn much from their last shot at secession.

Unfortunately, that's the chief characteristic of an idiot.
"Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it’s just the opposite." ~John Kenneth Galbraith
quill

Print view this post

#11  Postby Wiðercora » Mar 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Oh, Texas. You could be so much, yet you choose to be so little.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 06, 2011 11:00 pm

locutus7 wrote:Yes, let them, and some of the other southern states, secede. It will raise the IQ of the rest of the country and get rid of a bunch of evangelicals. Wonder if that nationalist group accepts donations?

I would so donate.
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#13  Postby The Plc » Mar 06, 2011 11:01 pm

Isn't one of the world's great physicists, Steven Weinberg, from the Lone Star State? You wouldn't want to lose him...
The Plc

Print view this post

#14  Postby Timinane » Mar 07, 2011 12:11 pm

Did I read correctly.

To cure the ills of America, Texas must secede?

Do these guys realise they make it sound like Texas is the problem with America or are they that stupid to implicate themselves in ruining America.
"With that speed of backtrack he shouldn't be in the CofE, he should be in the Lib Dems" Ian Hislop
Timinane

Name: Timothy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 07, 2011 12:16 pm

Timinane wrote:Did I read correctly.

To cure the ills of America, Texas must secede?

Do these guys realise they make it sound like Texas is the problem with America or are they that stupid to implicate themselves in ruining America.

The latter.
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#16  Postby AntonNym » Mar 07, 2011 2:45 pm

I say they should go for it. An independent Texas would be quite interesting, they could elect Palin as president. It would serve as a wakeup call for the rest of the US as soon as they see how things are getting even worse.

I'm not too familiar with Texas myself but if they are anything like the other independist groups i know i don't take them very seriously.
AntonNym

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Festeringbob » Mar 07, 2011 2:49 pm

AntonNym wrote:I say they should go for it. An independent Texas would be quite interesting, they could elect Palin as president. It would serve as a wakeup call for the rest of the US as soon as they see how things are getting even worse.

I'm not too familiar with Texas myself but if they are anything like the other independist groups i know i don't take them very seriously.

palins not a natural born texan, unless she proves she has a long form birth certificate
Liberty Prime is online. All systems nominal. Weapons hot. Mission: the destruction of any and all Chinese communists.
Festeringbob

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Apollonius » Mar 08, 2011 4:37 am

The US should boot Texas out for being stupid.
Healing the sick, casting out demons, and raising the dead since the first century...
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 08, 2011 4:56 am

914, where would you go if Texas seceded? Would you stay?
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 08, 2011 5:14 am

Mac_Guffin wrote:914, where would you go if Texas seceded? Would you stay?

Nope.
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs