Texas re-writes history for all America

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Texas re-writes history for all America

#21  Postby Aca » May 18, 2010 8:57 pm

HughMcB wrote:

He's as qualified to comment on this as Paris Hilton on quantum mechanics. :facepalm:

or for anything else... :mrgreen:

edit: paris hilton i mean :drunk:
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#22  Postby HughMcB » May 18, 2010 9:02 pm

I would say she could comment on making sex tapes but to be fair even that was disappointing.

Perhaps she could comment on getting unduly famous off bad sex tapes?
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

FOX: Atheists Want Their Version of Religion Taught in Texas

#23  Postby BrandySpears » May 19, 2010 8:52 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwGoeSqaF1A[/youtube]
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: FOX: Atheists Want Their Version of Religion Taught in T

#24  Postby Rumbelow » May 19, 2010 10:43 am

Those two guys don't really come across as the brightest crayons in the box.
Rumbelow

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby trubble76 » May 19, 2010 10:49 am

BrandySpears wrote:vid snipped

Yes, I want all schools to teach that religion is all bollocks, but I'd settle for them teaching about religion in RE class as long as they don't push one religion as "true", and as long as they stay out of the science syllabus.
Not unreasonable, I feel.
:coffee:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby NineOneFour » May 19, 2010 10:56 am

Don't preach in my school and I won't think in your church.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Dr. Kwaltz » May 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Why are people surprised by this? I mean, it is after all, the most insane state in the most insane country among what we normally call civilized countries, although after more than a decade in this country, I'm not so sure it's civilized any more.

The bullshit nonsense from Texas stems from something really vile and disgusting, called American Exceptionalism.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_exceptionalis]American exceptionalism[/url] wrote:
American exceptionalism is the theory that the United States occupies a special niche among the nations of the world[1] in terms of its national credo, historical evolution, political and religious institutions, and its being built by immigrants. The roots of the belief are attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville,[2][3] who claimed that the then-50-year-old United States held a special place among nations, because it was the first modern democracy.

The concept was first used in respect of the United States by Alexis de Tocqueville in 1831 in his work Democracy in America:[13]

The position of the Americans is therefore quite exceptional, and it may be believed that no democratic people will ever be placed in a similar one. Their strictly Puritanical origin, their exclusively commercial habits, even the country they inhabit, which seems to divert their minds from the pursuit of science, literature, and the arts, the proximity of Europe, which allows them to neglect these pursuits without relapsing into barbarism, a thousand special causes, of which I have only been able to point out the most important, have singularly concurred to fix the mind of the American upon purely practical objects. His passions, his wants, his education, and everything about him seem to unite in drawing the native of the United States earthward; his religion alone bids him turn, from time to time, a transient and distracted glance to heaven. Let us cease, then, to view all democratic nations under the example of the American people.

You know this shit is bad, really really bad when even President Obama has stated publicly he is a proponent of American exceptionalism.
Coworker on food:
We have 4 basic food groups: alcohol, fat, chocolate and caffeine... Get them all in a Mudslide!
Me:
I'm a tea lover - Long Island Ice Tea to be specific.
Dr. Kwaltz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Simon_Gardner » May 19, 2010 4:00 pm

Dr. Kwaltz wrote:You know this shit is bad, really really bad when even President Obama has stated publicly he is a proponent of American exceptionalism.

Lovely quote in today’s paper - Obama on Brits: “ill-dressed, pasty-faced, racially arrogant, cramped, spotty and joyless” [Dreams from my father]
Image (Since 27 Nov 1987)
Dates - YYYY/MM/DD; measure metric scientific.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts - attrib Patrick Moynihan
Simon_Gardner

Name: Twitter @Simon_Gardner

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#29  Postby hotshoe » May 19, 2010 4:33 pm

Oh, dear, that's a terrible quote mine. Shame, shame on the journalists.

However, it is true that Obama is not as favorably disposed toward the UK as the two most-recent US presidents were.

Here's are long excerpts from the source of the "ill-dressed, pasty-faced, etc" line:

Ben Macintyre wrote:More than half a century ago an African was arrested by Kenya's colonial police; he was imprisoned, tortured, and finally released two years later, a broken man. Such episodes were grimly common during the Mau Mau rebellion against British rule in Kenya, yet this sharp little shard of history has now poked above the surface again, as the story of Barack Obama's grandfather.

... Mr Obama's diplomatic remarks about Britain have been pallid and tactful; it is the more unguarded corners of his writing that offer revealing flickers of another attitude. In his memoir Dreams from My Father Obama devotes just six words to describing his first visit to Britain: “I took tea by the Thames.” The British passengers on the plane wear "ill-fitting blazers"; the one sitting next to him, an acne-ridden Mancunian, he finds aggravatingly superior, referring to the “Godforsaken countries” of Africa.

On safari in Kenya, he talks to an English doctor with “pasty blond hair” who has quit Britain to live in Africa. “England seems terribly cramped,” the man says. “The British have so much more, but seem to enjoy it less.”

... Later, in Kenya, riding the imperial-era railway, he imagines “some nameless British officer”, puffed with colonial hubris: “Would he have felt a sense of triumph, a confidence that the guiding light of Western civilisation had finally penetrated the African darkness?” He squirms at the African waiters' cringing attitude towards whites in the Nairobi hotels, and mocks the tourists pretending to be characters in some imagined re-creation of Out of Africa.

... Mr Obama's different historical legacy will not mean a change of foreign policy, but it may well presage a change of tone - on Guantánamo as well as Britain. For British diplomats, reading President Obama will require a new vocabulary, and understanding a different sort of history. Not the glory of shared victory over evil in the Second World War, but the more complicated history of decolonisation, in which Britain's role was sometimes less than glorious and both sides committed horrific atrocities.

Mr Obama has written movingly about how his African past has defined him; that past, still emerging, may also help to define the future of the Anglo-American relationship.

When he hears an English accent, I suspect, the new president will not automatically think of Churchill, Benny Hill or Princess Diana, but rather of some nameless British colonial officer, gazing out on an Africa he believed he owned: for that is where Obama is coming from.

Read the whole column
Now, when I talked to God I knew he'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Dracena » May 19, 2010 6:01 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16taQ_vv0s[/youtube]
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Tyrannical » May 19, 2010 6:08 pm

The Left in the US invented lies through historical rewrites. Texas is mostly just undoing these leftist lies.
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby mmmcheezy » May 19, 2010 6:09 pm

Tyrannical, care to provide evidence for these "lies"? And moreso, how they were supposedly "invented by the Left" through historical rewrites?
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Dr. Kwaltz » May 19, 2010 6:14 pm

Tyrannical wrote:The Left in the US invented lies through historical rewrites. Texas is mostly just undoing these leftist lies.

*fap-fap-fap-fap-Oh-god!*
Coworker on food:
We have 4 basic food groups: alcohol, fat, chocolate and caffeine... Get them all in a Mudslide!
Me:
I'm a tea lover - Long Island Ice Tea to be specific.
Dr. Kwaltz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby mmmcheezy » May 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Dr. Kwaltz wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:The Left in the US invented lies through historical rewrites. Texas is mostly just undoing these leftist lies.

*fap-fap-fap-fap-Oh-god!*

:rofl:

mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Gawdzilla » May 19, 2010 6:20 pm

Sad, just fucking sad.
Chief Engineer on the Derail Express.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Tyrannical » May 19, 2010 6:50 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:

Sad, just fucking sad.

Yeah it is. For example some people so throughly beleive in the Leftist re-writes that they think seperation of church and state was in the constitution.
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby mmmcheezy » May 19, 2010 6:51 pm

Tyrannical wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

Sad, just fucking sad.

Yeah it is. For example some people so throughly beleive in the Leftist re-writes that they think seperation of church and state was in the constitution.

Evidence that it wasn't?

mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Wiðercora » May 19, 2010 7:01 pm

mmmcheezy wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

Sad, just fucking sad.

Evidence that it wasn't?

The phrase 'Separation of Church and State' does not appear in the constitution, it is from a letter by one of the Founding Fathers, discussing the constitution.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Tyrannical » May 19, 2010 7:02 pm

mmmcheezy wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

Sad, just fucking sad.

Evidence that it wasn't?

Stop being so lazy and take the ten seconds to look it up on Wikipedia.
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Propagangster » May 19, 2010 7:32 pm

Wiðercora wrote:
mmmcheezy wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

Sad, just fucking sad.

Evidence that it wasn't?

The phrase 'Separation of Church and State' does not appear in the constitution, it is from a letter by one of the Founding Fathers, discussing the constitution.

And? The words 'separation of chuch and state' may not be written in the US Constitution, but this in no way means that the principle of this separation is not present in the US Constitution. Would the letter you reference not be the same that states the 1st amendent establishes that wall of separation between church and state?
Propagangster

Name: François
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs