The French have 'Switched Off' Political Views

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The French have 'Switched Off' Political Views

#1  Postby Alan B » Feb 16, 2017 11:08 am

FT Magazine
Why the French have switched off political views
‘In a country that still offers the most agreeable everyday life on earth, why depress yourself with the news?’

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our T&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights.
So the French have switched off. Little more than 1 per cent of them buy a national newspaper each day. The French (jointly with the Irish) are the Europeans least likely to read news online, says Eurostat. And they watch 50 minutes less TV a day than Americans. Just as the election campaign gets going, Canal+ is canning its prime-time TV news show Le Grand Journal because of collapsing ratings. Movies will fill the slot.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our T&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights.
Most French people find the media-political nexus off-putting. Even those who follow the news rarely believe what they read, says Kantar. In this climate, it was unsurprising that rioters in the Parisian suburb of Bobigny assaulted two radio trucks and a journalist last weekend. French politicians understand that they are in a sort of “ugly contest” with journalists as to who is despised most. When Fillon’s dubious payments to his wife and children were exposed, he predictably blamed the media for a “political assassination”.
Some French people read France’s less political regional newspapers, especially Ouest-France. They also have relatively high trust in radio, which is largely state owned. Few people here attach their identity to any particular partisan media. There is nothing here on the scale of Fox News, or Britain’s traditional dabblers in fake news, the tabloids. Whereas most American voters identify strongly as either “liberals” or “conservatives”, in France no labels now have such power to mobilise.

I can understand this.
The media has itself to blame with it's 'headline-grabbing' approach to news, trying to get sales up and outdo the competition with little regard (in some cases) to the 'truth' behind the story.
Perhaps the UK populace should adopt this approach.
The danger, though, is that important news might get pushed under the carpet and not exposed until it is too late.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The French have 'Switched Off' Political Views

#2  Postby Arnold Layne » Feb 16, 2017 4:20 pm

Alan B wrote:The danger, though, is that important news might get pushed under the carpet and not exposed until it is too late.

Except that, if you don't know whether any news item is true, you cannot know whether it's important news.

The Daily Mash did a skit a few weeks ago which said that the only way to be truly happy was to ignore the news completely. I suspect that's nearer the truth than they thought.
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby monkeyboy » Feb 16, 2017 4:39 pm

The news is persistently depressing. They don't even bother with the old, "and finally, a bit of old tosh to cheer you up after that hour of total human misery" like they used to.

I'd sooner the 24hr "news" stations were taken down and we went back to just a few news programmes in a day. Cut all these wankers out filling time with speculation and opinions and just.go back to reporting facts again. Actually trying to find news amongst that dross is pretty tricky these days
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Most news is just gossip - we have no power to initiate a response of consequence. It's poor entertainment. Fuck it.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs