Tulsa police officer shoots and kills unarmed black man

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Tulsa police officer shoots and kills unarmed black man

#161  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 02, 2016 10:29 am

WayOfTheDodo, in order to have a rational and productive discussion I request you deal with my actual posts and ask me if my position is unclear. And not, like you often tend to do, erect straw-man positions for people that don't agree with you and then proceed to treat that straw-man as fact.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#162  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Oct 02, 2016 10:32 am

BWE wrote:
Coining of the phrase; racism Edit

William Ryan coined the phrase "blaming the victim" in his 1971 book Blaming the Victim.[4][5][6][7][8] In the book, Ryan described victim blaming as an ideology used to justify racism and social injustice against black people in the United States.[7] Ryan wrote the book to refute Daniel Patrick Moynihan's 1965 work The Negro Family: The Case for National Action (usually simply referred to as the Moynihan Report).[9]

Moynihan had concluded that three centuries of brutilization at the hands of whites, and in particular the uniquely cruel structure of American slavery as opposed to its Latin American counterparts, had created a long series of chaotic disruptions within the black family structure which, at the time of the report, manifested itself in high rates of unwed births, absent fathers, and single mother households in black families. Moynihan then correlated these familial outcomes, which he considered undesirable, to the relatively poorer rates of employment, educational achievement, and financial success found among the black population. Moynihan advocated the implementation of government programs designed to strengthen the black nuclear family.[citation needed]

Ryan objected that Moynihan then located the proximate cause of the plight of black Americans in the prevalence of a family structure in which the father was often sporadically, if at all, present, and the mother was often dependent on government aid to feed, clothe, and provide medical care for her children. Ryan's critique cast the Moynihan theories as attempts to divert responsibility for poverty from social structural factors to the behavioral and cultural patterns of the poor.[10][11]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_blaming

There's a difference between explaining and blaming. Now that you know that your accusation was bullshit because it has been explained to you, how about addressing the actual argument instead?
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#163  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Oct 02, 2016 10:35 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:You're also missing the point that the act of obeying or not obeying orders, does not, in itself, constitute a threat.

Except it does because it says something about their attitude.
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#164  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 02, 2016 10:38 am

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:You're also missing the point that the act of obeying or not obeying orders, does not, in itself, constitute a threat.

It only says that they to refuse orders, at that moment.
It says nothing about whether they're hostile, let alone a threat to the officers or anyone else.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#165  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Oct 02, 2016 2:36 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:

Got a problem with authority? Shoot to kill :roll:

Also: shouting "drop the gun" at someone who isn't holding one... no wonder that person is not following orders, they are probbably still wondering "gun? what fucking gun? I'm NOT holding a gun!"
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#166  Postby BWE » Oct 03, 2016 5:32 am

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
BWE wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
BWE wrote:
Ah yes, the 'they deserve it' argument. Well done sir. Well done.

Ah yes, the straw man argument. Well done sir. Well done.

Explain how that is a straw man?

You are right. It's not even a straw man. It's just a blatant lie about what I wrote. Nowhere does it say that "they deserve it". What I did was to point out that when a group is overrepresented in violent crime it is logical that the police will be forced to pull guns on them (because they are a bigger threat more often than people not committing violent crimes).

So yeah, not even a straw man argument. Just you fucking lying.

Well, no. Or, I guess you might have an idiosyncratic definition of lying, but under most definitions, you would be wrong.
BWE

Print view this post

#167  Postby BWE » Oct 03, 2016 5:44 am

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
Rumraket wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
Rumraket wrote:What it shows is that blacks are so disproportionately stopped and pulled guns on, that out of that colossal number of times it happens, relatively few of them require the trigger to be pulled. As in police pretty much pull guns on blacks routinely, but consistently discover they don't have to actually kill them.

Well, blacks are also disproportionately involved in crime, particularly violent crime. Is it really a surprise that they get guns pulled on them more frequently?

No, the issue isn't that it is surprising. The issue is that it is racist and unnecessary. After all, not ALL backs are criminals. Right? So why would you pull guns on them so much?

Because guns are more likely to have to be pulled when facing violent crimes. And when blacks are overrepresented, guns are more likely to have to be pulled. Not because they are black, but because they are involved in violent crime.

Hint: "Disproportionately" does not equal "all". Nice try twisting what I wrote though.

Some black people commit lots of crime, therefore we should approach most black people as if they are highly likely to be violent criminals? That's the definition of racism and discrimination. It is to deliberately treat another person differently just because of how they look.

But that's the point. The explanation isn't necessarily racism. An alternative explanation is that cops are pulling out their guns when facing violent crime, and because blacks are disproportionately involved in violent crime that is what makes guns be pulled on more blacks.

Try to put yourself at the recieving end of that for a moment, day in and day out for 30 years of your life. "I had to pull you over and pull a gun on you because statistics show blacks are overrepresented in crime statistics."

Again, that is not my argument. My argument is that they are far more likely to pull out their guns when responding to violent crime. And who's disproportionately involved in violent crime?

WayOfTheDodo wrote:And if we agree that what you are saying is true, the police are in fact showing even more restraint than Oldskeptic credits them with.

No, that's not retraint. Not pulling a gun on them would be to show restraint.

Bullshit. Both are examples of restraint. See above.

Jeeze you have an optimistic view of police response times to violent crime scenes.
BWE

Print view this post

#168  Postby BWE » Oct 03, 2016 5:51 am

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
BWE wrote:
Coining of the phrase; racism Edit

William Ryan coined the phrase "blaming the victim" in his 1971 book Blaming the Victim.[4][5][6][7][8] In the book, Ryan described victim blaming as an ideology used to justify racism and social injustice against black people in the United States.[7] Ryan wrote the book to refute Daniel Patrick Moynihan's 1965 work The Negro Family: The Case for National Action (usually simply referred to as the Moynihan Report).[9]

Moynihan had concluded that three centuries of brutilization at the hands of whites, and in particular the uniquely cruel structure of American slavery as opposed to its Latin American counterparts, had created a long series of chaotic disruptions within the black family structure which, at the time of the report, manifested itself in high rates of unwed births, absent fathers, and single mother households in black families. Moynihan then correlated these familial outcomes, which he considered undesirable, to the relatively poorer rates of employment, educational achievement, and financial success found among the black population. Moynihan advocated the implementation of government programs designed to strengthen the black nuclear family.[citation needed]

Ryan objected that Moynihan then located the proximate cause of the plight of black Americans in the prevalence of a family structure in which the father was often sporadically, if at all, present, and the mother was often dependent on government aid to feed, clothe, and provide medical care for her children. Ryan's critique cast the Moynihan theories as attempts to divert responsibility for poverty from social structural factors to the behavioral and cultural patterns of the poor.[10][11]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_blaming

There's a difference between explaining and blaming. Now that you know that your accusation was bullshit because it has been explained to you, how about addressing the actual argument instead?

Um. I understand that you disagree, but this was a reference for the source of the term victim blaming. Which your argument is an example of.
BWE

Print view this post

#169  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 03, 2016 7:53 am

Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#170  Postby BWE » Oct 03, 2016 5:40 pm

That is really good.
BWE

Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs