UK: Ban Gas Hobs and Boilers in New Homes in Six Years

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

UK: Ban Gas Hobs and Boilers in New Homes in Six Years

#1  Postby Alan B » Feb 23, 2019 2:09 pm

The Guardian
Ban gas boilers in new homes by 2025, says Committee on Climate Change

Government advisers suggest homes are heated using low-carbon energy instead

Gas hobs or boilers should be banned from being installed in new homes within the next six years, government advisers have recommended.
A report by the Committee on Climate Change (CCC) says that from 2025 at the latest, no new homes should be connected to the gas grid – with super-efficient houses and flats heated using low-carbon energy instead.
They don't specify how or in what form the 'low-carbon energy' is to be sourced. In six years?
It also warns that UK homes are not fit for the future, with efforts to cut greenhouse gases from housing stalling and properties at growing risk of overheating and flooding.
The committee called on the government to get serious about tackling emissions from homes and ensuring they are adapted to cope with a future of more extreme weather.
The way new homes are built and existing properties are “retrofitted” with energy efficiency measures often falls short of stated design standards, deceiving householders and inflicting costs on the future, the committee said.
Continues...
I see. Then what about this:
BBC
Energy company Total has announced a major gas discovery off Shetland.
Initial tests at a site on the Glendronach prospect indicated there could be about one trillion cubic feet of gas which could be extracted.

and this:
BBC
Oil company Shell has given the final go-ahead to develop the Fram gas field in the North Sea.
The field, 100 miles east of Aberdeen, is expected to produce about 41 million cubic feet of gas a day.

Is the CCC going to put pressure on these companies to leave the gas where it is?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: UK: Ban Gas Hobs and Boilers in New Homes in Six Years

#2  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 23, 2019 2:28 pm

I didn't realise gas hobs were so much worse than electric in the first place. I rent, so I get what I'm given, but if we're worried about energy efficiency, then they should also be saying that all new builds should be given an induction hob.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby fisherman » Feb 23, 2019 2:41 pm

The report does not mention gas hobs specifically, so I think the article is just highlighting what the obvious result of not being connected to the gas grid would be. There is a chart with energy consumption now and in the future using low carbon energy source and cooking does not seem to vary from one extreme to the other, it is largely focused on the space heating and hot water energy consumption.

CCC Report
fisherman

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4  Postby laklak » Feb 23, 2019 3:47 pm

You'll get my gas hob when you pry it out of my cold, dead, kitchen.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan B » Feb 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Agreed, Lak. But the induction hob would be the only alternative, as far as I can see.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Alan B » Feb 23, 2019 4:17 pm

Thanks for linking the CCC report, fisherman (I should have thought of that :snooty: ).
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby minininja » Feb 23, 2019 6:23 pm

I don't know how well it works but I've heard of gas hobs being converted to run on hydrogen.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 23, 2019 6:38 pm

Ancient news. It is happening here already and has been for five - ten years but of course when the UK does it it is something totally new. They are converting older estates and districts into gas free. The replacement sources are solar panels, heat pumps and thermal pumps usually for more than one building. This is the favoured source as it is very constant. Heat pumps are variable. Induction hobs are the usual choice for cooking on.
All gas supplies are totally removed.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby fisherman » Feb 23, 2019 7:08 pm

This article on the Netherlands gas revolution is pretty good. 89% of households still use gas boilers and expects it'll take 35 years to make the switch. The Netherlands will have to ramp up green energy supply to offset the increase in electricity demand to power the electric heat pumps.

Makes for a good template for others to follow and learn from.
fisherman

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 23, 2019 8:41 pm

It backs up what I was saying. With energy things move fast. That report dates from 2017 but in order to achieve our Paris target of reduction the date has been moved by the EU parliament to 40% of 2005 by 2030. By 2050 there should be zero emissions.
Heat pumps are already much more efficient now and the use of district heating networks is looking a better alternative.
How well will the UK do by 2030? We know where we are going.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Alan C » Feb 23, 2019 9:25 pm

Perhaps if this is or becomes more widespread in Europe then Russia would have less of a market [and influence?] there.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 23, 2019 9:36 pm

Alan C wrote:Perhaps if this is or becomes more widespread in Europe then Russia would have less of a market [and influence?] there.

Also tell Trump to fuck off with his LPG. The trouble is for poorer countries an alternative to gas really does not exist. This process is costing a lot of money.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Alan C » Feb 23, 2019 9:50 pm

Our government recently put a stop on new oil and gas permits [there are still about 22 existing permits with a couple of decades until expiry which ideally would be also dealt with]. Predictably we have relevant sections of the energy industry whinging about the supply of gas but there will be a planned transition for the area in question. A significant chunk [~75%] of our generation is hydro so we just need to work out bringing more renewables in to bring it up to 100%.

Personally while this property isn't on gas I do have a BBQ that I've been considering changing for an electric outdoor grill [likely keep the old one around in case of blackouts though]. However, it's only recently that I've seen any of these electric grills here. One of our chain hardware stores is now selling a couple of Weber models;

Weber Pulse 2000
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 23, 2019 9:57 pm

The closing of the Groningen gas field and all its associated fields is a primary goal. The extraction rate has been reduced to a minimum now. The damage to buildings has not been little and is the centre of many a long court case. People dont accept the terms offered (who can blame them). Removal of gas an energy source will not be missed.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#16  Postby laklak » Feb 23, 2019 10:49 pm

I'm converting the boat to induction when I redo the galley. If we were in colder waters I'd use either resistance electric or gas, but down here you want to limit inside heat sources and induction burners don't radiate heat (much, anyway). i'd love gas, but that would be too hot 9 months out of the year, and it's an expensive conversion - outside, vented propane locker, electric shut off valves, propane detectors, marine grade hose, etc. Nothing to do with the gummint, they don't give a shit if I buy a cheap gas grill and install it, but I ain't stupid.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Matt_B » Feb 23, 2019 10:54 pm

It's just an end to mains gas. You'd still be able to use bottled gas for cooking, and if that's all you're using it for, a bottle can last a long time. At least that's my experience for the past few years of doing things that way.

The point is more that heating poorly insulated homes with gas has had its day. Newly built homes should need far less heating, heat pumps are 3-4 times more energy efficient at providing that heating, and that energy can often be provided by on-site renewables.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Ironclad » Feb 24, 2019 12:31 am

My sister has nearly finished building her house, this has the heat pump (air) and the ground heat collector, whatever that's called. The UK gov, I understand, is pulling the benefits from this soon. The money she can make by giving electricity back into the Grid is apparently diminishing too.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#19  Postby fisherman » Feb 24, 2019 9:24 am

Scot Dutchy wrote: This process is costing a lot of money.

I can't tell from that report how the Netherlands transition is being funded. It doesn't sound as though it is through the end-user billing since the district heating is capped to the price of gas, is it from direct government spending via taxation or borrowing?
fisherman

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 24, 2019 10:14 am

Ironclad wrote:My sister has nearly finished building her house, this has the heat pump (air) and the ground heat collector, whatever that's called. The UK gov, I understand, is pulling the benefits from this soon. The money she can make by giving electricity back into the Grid is apparently diminishing too.

Thermal pump you are talking about. It is very efficient but the cost is better spread over an area. Here is envisaged (and being built) pumps for one or two streets. The days of central power stations are numbered. People and districts will be far more self sufficient.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs