~*~Unofficial 2016 US Presidential Election Thread~*~

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: ~*~Unofficial 2016 US Presidential Election Thread~*~

#1401  Postby Willie71 » Apr 18, 2016 9:35 pm

Columbus wrote:
If Clinton was truly progressive, no one would refuse to vote for her.

What a Can-yuck-yuck-istanian.

Trump has as many voting supporters as Sanders does, roughly.
You are an idiot suffering terribly from Dunning-Kruger effect.

I am glad you are one of the idiots who is ineligible to vote in my country.
Tom

The multiple examples of pro war, pro corporate policy positions and votes doesn't mean anything to you? She's right wing through and through.

Ad hominem= no evidence to support your position.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1402  Postby Columbus » Apr 18, 2016 9:42 pm

Doubtless, you believe that is a true statement.
It is not, but I have come to understand some things about Bernie Sanders supporters.
Tom
Nothing real can be threatened
Nothing unreal exists
Herein lies the peace of God
Columbus

Name: Tom
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1403  Postby Willie71 » Apr 18, 2016 10:00 pm

Columbus wrote:

It is not, but I have come to understand some things about Bernie Sanders supporters.
Tom

You should be a trump supporter. You share at least one of the same logical fallacies.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1404  Postby Oldskeptic » Apr 19, 2016 12:40 am

Columbus wrote:

Tom

Me too. I've come to learn that some Sanders supporters simply toss any lie or distortion against Clinton into any argument if they think others will believe it. And it's getting to a point where it seems like they're buying into the Goebbels', Neo-Consertative, Reagan and Bush administration's strategy that If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth. That combined with a belief that the more lies you tell the more truth there will be to all of them.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#1405  Postby Columbus » Apr 19, 2016 12:58 am

Willie71 wrote:
Columbus wrote:

Tom

You should be a trump supporter. You share at least one of the same logical fallacies.

In a way, I am.
I think he is in cahoots with her. I think he is blowing up the GOP to make way for her election. Practically everything he says and does on the campaign trail increases her likelihood of winning, and reduces the likelihood of any GOP winning, including Trump. All down the line, to state government levels. The GOP is in a frenzy right now, because Trump is destroying the brand. And a bunch of career politicians are going down with him.
I don't believe that she is just lucky that way. I think she planned it.
Tom
Nothing real can be threatened
Nothing unreal exists
Herein lies the peace of God
Columbus

Name: Tom
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1406  Postby willhud9 » Apr 19, 2016 1:14 am

Willie71 wrote:
Columbus wrote:

Tom

The multiple examples of pro war, pro corporate policy positions and votes doesn't mean anything to you? She's right wing through and through.

Sure if hawk-like policies automatically push someone to the right.

I don't buy that.

I am liberal in many, many things, but I also am not into the whole non-intervention movement. The United States is a world power. One of the richest countries in the world, with a self-sustaining agriculture, and a very disciplined and efficient military. I believe that those with power should use power responsibly, but also should use said power to make a difference in the world. Warlords in Africa? Do something about it. Civil war in Syria which is spilling into Western Society? Do something about it.

You may moan and groan about how right wing that makes someone, but I simply do not give a fuck what you think constitutes a left-wing individual vs a right wing individual.

Furthermore, and I think this is a point many people ignorant of politics overlook, many ideological candidates (Obama) get into office with these bright ideas and those ideas don't come to fruition in their presidency. You can say that they are broken promises, but in all honesty, especially in regards to foreign policy, you have no idea what the Joint Chiefs of Staff briefed the new President on as soon as the take office.

Clinton knows first hand both as a first lady of a husband who was in plenty of JCS briefings, and as Secretary of State where she was directly involved with them what kind of things the JCS would brief the new President on and she is quite aware of what issues plague foreign policy. Her policies and views of foreign policy are shaped from her experience working with top military/diplomatic officials whose job it is to be informed and knowledgeable on foreign affairs and the condition of other states.

False equivocation.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1407  Postby laklak » Apr 19, 2016 1:27 am

Whoever gets elected must deal with Congress. And perhaps more importantly, inherits a vast, unelected bureaucracy that in real terms wields more power than elected officials. Congress may pass laws, but the faceless bureaucrats in the EPA and IRS implement them. We are far more affected by the rules and regulations promulgated by those bureaucrats than we are by the actual laws. If you don't believe that just try dealing with the morons at the ACA portal. This is the real stumbling block, the inherited government. It's very resistant to change and very jealous of it's power.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#1408  Postby willhud9 » Apr 19, 2016 1:28 am

This is why I laugh when I hear Ted Cruz talk about abolishing the IRS and implementing a flat tax. Ain't gonna happen.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1409  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 19, 2016 7:06 am

Columbus wrote:In a way, I am.
I think he is in cahoots with her. I think he is blowing up the GOP to make way for her election. Practically everything he says and does on the campaign trail increases her likelihood of winning, and reduces the likelihood of any GOP winning, including Trump. All down the line, to state government levels. The GOP is in a frenzy right now, because Trump is destroying the brand. And a bunch of career politicians are going down with him.
I don't believe that she is just lucky that way. I think she planned it.
Tom

Nice conspiracy Tom but in the twisted politics of America who knows. What would have happened if Trump had not appeared?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1410  Postby crank » Apr 19, 2016 8:00 am

ScholasticSpastic wrote:I see the candidates like this: We want fish and chips.

Cruz will take away any extant fish and chips because they're immoral.
Trump understands (and channels) our frustration, and will make Mexico buy us a cheeseburger and pay for a wall.
Sanders has promised us fish AND chips.
But Sanders' supporters are reticent to vote for Clinton because she's only offering the chips.

If you want your fish and chips, and if Sanders doesn't make it through the primaries, fucking vote for Clinton. Getting part of what you want is better than losing ground with Cruz or Trump.

She may be offering chips, but she's also actively working to destroy all the fish.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#1411  Postby crank » Apr 19, 2016 8:19 am

willhud9 wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
Columbus wrote:

Tom

Sure if hawk-like policies automatically push someone to the right.

I don't buy that.

I am liberal in many, many things, but I also am not into the whole non-intervention movement. The United States is a world power. One of the richest countries in the world, with a self-sustaining agriculture, and a very disciplined and efficient military. I believe that those with power should use power responsibly, but also should use said power to make a difference in the world. Warlords in Africa? Do something about it. Civil war in Syria which is spilling into Western Society? Do something about it.

You may moan and groan about how right wing that makes someone, but I simply do not give a fuck what you think constitutes a left-wing individual vs a right wing individual.

Furthermore, and I think this is a point many people ignorant of politics overlook, many ideological candidates (Obama) get into office with these bright ideas and those ideas don't come to fruition in their presidency. You can say that they are broken promises, but in all honesty, especially in regards to foreign policy, you have no idea what the Joint Chiefs of Staff briefed the new President on as soon as the take office.

Clinton knows first hand both as a first lady of a husband who was in plenty of JCS briefings, and as Secretary of State where she was directly involved with them what kind of things the JCS would brief the new President on and she is quite aware of what issues plague foreign policy. Her policies and views of foreign policy are shaped from her experience working with top military/diplomatic officials whose job it is to be informed and knowledgeable on foreign affairs and the condition of other states.

False equivocation.

Does history not inform your positions? Do you think our decades of interventions in the MidEast have turned out well? Or those in C. America, how have those gone? Are all of those in Laos still dying from old cluster bombs a sign of how 'responsible' our interventions went? Is the creation of ISIS the kind of difference you want a world power to make? These interventions have been used to aid business interests, not stability, not the welfare of the citizens of any country, maybe in the 'we had to destroy the village in order to save it' way.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#1412  Postby OlivierK » Apr 19, 2016 8:23 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:What would have happened if Trump had not appeared?

Rubio would be heading for the nom, and the Democrats would be worried by him polling ahead of Clinton.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1413  Postby Mike_L » Apr 19, 2016 11:48 am

willhud9 wrote:The United States is a world power. One of the richest countries in the world, with a self-sustaining agriculture, and a very disciplined and efficient military. I believe that those with power should use power responsibly, but also should use said power to make a difference in the world. Warlords in Africa? Do something about it. Civil war in Syria which is spilling into Western Society? Do something about it.

...just as long as it advances the interests of said world power. :coffee:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#1414  Postby laklak » Apr 19, 2016 4:06 pm

That's par for the course when it comes to world powers. In an historical context very few consciously act against their own interests. The Brits didn't decide to give up The Empire on humanitarian grounds, for instance.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#1415  Postby crank » Apr 19, 2016 4:13 pm

"That's the way things have always been done" This really isn't ever justification for anything.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#1416  Postby proudfootz » Apr 19, 2016 8:38 pm

But we've always had slaves!

Pie in the sky to imagine they'd ever be free!
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1417  Postby thaesofereode » Apr 20, 2016 12:14 am

Thousands of voters "lost" from the rolls in New York: all of them Democrats.

http://usuncut.com/politics/new-york-br ... ter-purge/

W - T - F !

See also: http://patch.com/new-york/brooklyn/1260 ... ter-list-0
thaesofereode

Print view this post

#1418  Postby crank » Apr 20, 2016 12:48 am

The weird thing about that story is a lot of it appears tailored to go against Bernie, but is overall harmful to Dims generally in the long run. If it was not incompetence, then it was incompetent nonetheless. They're not called Dims for nuthin'.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#1419  Postby thaesofereode » Apr 20, 2016 1:54 am

crank wrote:The weird thing about that story is a lot of it appears tailored to go against Bernie, but is overall harmful to Dims generally in the long run. If it was not incompetence, then it was incompetent nonetheless. They're not called Dims for nuthin'.

Hm. Except that I do believe it's the Board of Elections, which is part of the local government and not the political party people who are responsible for maintaining the voter registration rolls, which means that they have responsibility for the maintenance of the voter rolls for BOTH parties, not just for one party or the other. The parties don't maintain their own voter registration lists ... at least not those that are actually used when administrating elections.
thaesofereode

Print view this post

#1420  Postby proudfootz » Apr 20, 2016 2:36 am

crank wrote:The weird thing about that story is a lot of it appears tailored to go against Bernie, but is overall harmful to Dims generally in the long run. If it was not incompetence, then it was incompetent nonetheless. They're not called Dims for nuthin'.

Apparently the Democratic Party (these old pros are in charge of all this stuff, right?) doesn't know how elections work.

Maybe Clinton and Trump are working to make sure Cruz gets elected... :think:
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs