~*~Unofficial 2016 US Presidential Election Thread~*~

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: ~*~Unofficial 2016 US Presidential Election Thread~*~

#621  Postby Teague » Feb 10, 2016 11:27 am

Amazing isn't it? Given 2 candidates that are going against the establishment there's that many small minded, hateful people in NH that they voted for Trump instead of Sanders. NH should be shamed, massively for begin a bunch of cunts or for putting up with a bunch of cunts.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#622  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Feb 10, 2016 1:46 pm

Teague wrote:Amazing isn't it? Given 2 candidates that are going against the establishment there's that many small minded, hateful people in NH that they voted for Trump instead of Sanders. NH should be shamed, massively for begin a bunch of cunts or for putting up with a bunch of cunts.

This makes no sense. It was the primary. They can't vote fore a Republican INSTEAD of the Democrat during a primary because primaries are Republicans running against other Republicans and Democrats running against other Democrats. I agree that Trump's win was indicative of an outsize cunt population, but this has nothing to do with how many people support Sanders there.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#623  Postby GT2211 » Feb 10, 2016 3:42 pm

Some quick takes:

1)The GOP is a hot mess. Just when it seemed Rubio may be the one to get the establishment to rally around him, Christie sinks his campaign and he has a terrible finish in NH. I think Rand dropped out too soon. Will it be Kasich? The return of Jeb!?
2)Carson's out next right? Right?

3) It was a good night for Bern. He at one point had a 20 point aggregate poll advantage in the state, but the tracking polls all showed tightening in the last couple days. I thought going into the night that anything <10% victory would be a disaster, but if he could hit 60+ it would be a good night for Bernie.

4)This is really where the challenge begins for Bernie. 538 and Cook collab'd on creating a scorecard based on support in national survey's, demographics such as race, ideology etc... then used that information to model how well each candidate needs to do to win 50% of the delegates. It gives candidates a slight bump in their home state and Bernie decent built in bump in caucus states.

gt2211: Making Ratskep Great Again!
GT2211

United States (us)
Print view this post

#624  Postby Shrunk » Feb 10, 2016 3:45 pm

GT2211 wrote: 4)This is really where the challenge begins for Bernie. 538 and Cook collab'd on creating a scorecard based on support in national survey's, demographics such as race, ideology etc... then used that information to model how well each candidate needs to do to win 50% of the delegates. It gives candidates a slight bump in their home state and Bernie decent built in bump in caucus states.

OK, they just made that up, right? A dead heat? Come on.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#625  Postby Shrunk » Feb 10, 2016 3:47 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:This makes no sense. It was the primary. They can't vote fore a Republican INSTEAD of the Democrat during a primary because primaries are Republicans running against other Republicans and Democrats running against other Democrats. I agree that Trump's win was indicative of an outsize cunt population, but this has nothing to do with how many people support Sanders there.

Although I did hear one CNN report that described undecided independent voters who were flipping between Trump and Sanders. FWIW. If such people actually exist, they should just be shot and put out of their misery.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#626  Postby GT2211 » Feb 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Shrunk wrote:
GT2211 wrote: 4)This is really where the challenge begins for Bernie. 538 and Cook collab'd on creating a scorecard based on support in national survey's, demographics such as race, ideology etc... then used that information to model how well each candidate needs to do to win 50% of the delegates. It gives candidates a slight bump in their home state and Bernie decent built in bump in caucus states.

OK, they just made that up, right? A dead heat? Come on.

?? Its not a projection of how they think the race will go, its a projection of how well each candidate needs to do in each state to break even based on their support by demographics and the demographics of the state
http://cookpolitical.com/story/9179
GT2211

United States (us)
Print view this post

#627  Postby Shrunk » Feb 10, 2016 4:06 pm

OK, I misunderstood. So we can follow along and see if their over or under what they would be expected to need. That's helpful. :thumbup:
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#628  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Feb 10, 2016 4:17 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Although I did hear one CNN report that described undecided independent voters who were flipping between Trump and Sanders. FWIW. If such people actually exist, they should just be shot and put out of their misery.

Some sort of weird political bipolar disorder? :crazy:
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#629  Postby BWE » Feb 10, 2016 4:30 pm

It's two ways to address the same root problem. Trump is, of all things, independent of the corporist dollar.
BWE

Print view this post

#630  Postby r.c » Feb 10, 2016 4:33 pm

GT2211 wrote:Some quick takes:

1)The GOP is a hot mess. Just when it seemed Rubio may be the one to get the establishment to rally around him, Christie sinks his campaign and he has a terrible finish in NH. I think Rand dropped out too soon. Will it be Kasich? The return of Jeb!?

3) It was a good night for Bern. He at one point had a 20 point aggregate poll advantage in the state, but the tracking polls all showed tightening in the last couple days. I thought going into the night that anything <10% victory would be a disaster, but if he could hit 60+ it would be a good night for Bernie.

4)This is really where the challenge begins for Bernie. 538 and Cook collab'd on creating a scorecard based on support in national survey's, demographics such as race, ideology etc... then used that information to model how well each candidate needs to do to win 50% of the delegates. It gives candidates a slight bump in their home state and Bernie decent built in bump in caucus states.

But doesn't Clinton already have a lead of 400 from the superdelegates?
" By virtue of being old, nothing necessarily is good; nor is anything unacceptable by virtue of being new; The wise accept only after examining, while the fools go by others' understanding."
r.c

Male

Print view this post

#631  Postby Willie71 » Feb 10, 2016 4:34 pm

Pulsar wrote:I just learned that this guy is also a presidential candidate. Seriously.

He's probably less crazy than any republican candidate :)

As Bill Maher says, the boot on his head makes him seem not serious.

Otherwise, he's our version of Sarah Palin.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#632  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Feb 10, 2016 5:55 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote::doh: Oooh! Not a good idea to joke about black Americans and nooses. :yuk:

I know you didn't mean it that way, but there's still a lot of baggage around our history of strange fruit.

ETA: Sort of funny, maybe, in light of the Huffpo headline..... :shifty:

I think you are being overly sensitive. It was hilarious.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)

Birthday
Print view this post

#633  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Feb 10, 2016 6:09 pm

Shrunk wrote:Although I did hear one CNN report that described undecided independent voters who were flipping between Trump and Sanders. FWIW. If such people actually exist, they should just be shot and put out of their misery.

I imagine they look something like this...

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)

Birthday
Print view this post

#634  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Feb 10, 2016 6:09 pm

Ratskep cloned my post.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)

Birthday
Print view this post

#635  Postby Willie71 » Feb 10, 2016 7:01 pm

Teague wrote:Amazing isn't it? Given 2 candidates that are going against the establishment there's that many small minded, hateful people in NH that they voted for Trump instead of Sanders. NH should be shamed, massively for begin a bunch of cunts or for putting up with a bunch of cunts.

This shows how low information many voters are. To not be able to immediately see a clear delineation of which candidate represents your personal philosophy shows how policy has been replaced by sound bite. It's simply ignorance that results in this bizarre issue.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#636  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Feb 10, 2016 8:07 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:

Sensitive implies that I was offended. That isn't the case. I was being conscious of the potential to give offense, and aware of the basis for that potential offense. I think it's especially relevant on a forum where I've seen Ben Carson called a race traitor. :crazy:
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#637  Postby GT2211 » Feb 10, 2016 11:58 pm

r.c wrote:
GT2211 wrote:Some quick takes:

But doesn't Clinton already have a lead of 400 from the superdelegates?

Yes. Bernie supporters might argue that a Bernie win would look a bit more backloaded than that.

But Hillary supporters would argue that the chart isn't even including super delegates. It takes 2,382 delegates to win the nomination.

Hillary has roughly 400 right now to Bernie's 11. One could argue that Bernie needs to do more than just match those targets, but exceed them by a decent amount to make up that advantage. If so Bern is pretty far behind and seems unlikely to make up any ground in NV or SC
GT2211

United States (us)
Print view this post

#638  Postby BWE » Feb 11, 2016 12:42 am

I bet he does a lot better in SC and NV than the polls suggest he will.
BWE

Print view this post

#639  Postby Boyle » Feb 11, 2016 1:02 am

Shrunk wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:This makes no sense. It was the primary. They can't vote fore a Republican INSTEAD of the Democrat during a primary because primaries are Republicans running against other Republicans and Democrats running against other Democrats. I agree that Trump's win was indicative of an outsize cunt population, but this has nothing to do with how many people support Sanders there.

Just go read reddit's politics forum and you'll run into them. Some are accelerationists and think the world needs to be set aflame before anyone will change the system ie do what they want.
Boyle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#640  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Feb 11, 2016 2:34 am

ScholasticSpastic wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:

Sensitive implies that I was offended. That isn't the case. I was being conscious of the potential to give offense, and aware of the basis for that potential offense. I think it's especially relevant on a forum where I've seen Ben Carson called a race traitor. :crazy:

Yeah, I prefer to not walk on eggshells for the overly sensitive and the nutcases and enjoy innocently intended comedy for what it is. ;)

If your purpose is to treat a specific group as equal, then avoiding comedy just because it may be misinterpreted by that group is working against that purpose.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)

Birthday
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs