Why Obama Can’t Help "Making A Murderer” Steven Avery

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Why Obama Can’t Help

#521  Postby Oldskeptic » Mar 27, 2016 4:09 am

felltoearth wrote:
proudfootz wrote:Here's someone who's been spending a lot of time thinking about the case!

Holy Crap! 6 parts!

Nine parts actually. Listen to the last two and find out how far into conspiracy this guy is willing to go. The Green Bay Packers football team might even have been involved in the frame up. And pretty much the only people not involved in the conspiracy are the two convicted of the murder, even the victim.

In #9* he's figured the whole thing out and fears for his own safety, if someone figures out who he is, because the widespread conspiracy goes so high up.

*Conspiracy comedy gold!
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

Re: Why Obama Can’t Help "Making A Murderer” Steven Avery

#522  Postby proudfootz » Mar 27, 2016 10:31 am

After Deflategate, I wouldn't put anything past a professional sports team! ;)
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#523  Postby purplerat » Mar 27, 2016 9:21 pm

proudfootz wrote:After Deflategate, I wouldn't put anything past a professional sports team! ;)

I get that you're joking but isn't deflategate a conspiracy theory that's been debunked?

So your comment would mean that one conspiracy theory proven wrong somehow makes similar conspiracy theories more likely to be true. Ironically that actually seems to be the way the conspiracy theorist mind works. :lol:
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#524  Postby proudfootz » Mar 28, 2016 2:43 am

I don't know - I don't follow American Football politics.

Watching what the police did to Brendan Dassey it's difficult to put much faith in the people who cobbled together this case.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#525  Postby purplerat » Mar 28, 2016 4:30 am

proudfootz wrote:I don't know - I don't follow American Football politics.

Watching what the police did to Brendan Dassey it's difficult to put much faith in the people who cobbled together this case.

The said thing about what happened to Dassey is that it's not a conspiracy at all. It's business as usual for police. They did what they did while they recorded it. Multiple times. And turned it over to the defense as if Dassey just walked in and confessed no questions asked.

I think they really thought he was involved and weren't going to believe anything different so they screwed him over. But that happens everyday and doesn't require a conspiracy. It does however raise questions about how that could happen alongside some grand conspiracy to frame Avery. While I think the average cop would screw over somebody they believed was guilty I find it very hard to believe a cop with no stake in doing so would setup a 16 year old for a crime they know the kid didn't commit, especially when they already have somebody else to pin it on.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#526  Postby proudfootz » Mar 28, 2016 1:13 pm

purplerat wrote:
proudfootz wrote:I don't know - I don't follow American Football politics.

The said thing about what happened to Dassey is that it's not a conspiracy at all. It's business as usual for police. They did what they did while they recorded it. Multiple times. And turned it over to the defense as if Dassey just walked in and confessed no questions asked.

I think they really thought he was involved and weren't going to believe anything different so they screwed him over. But that happens everyday and doesn't require a conspiracy. It does however raise questions about how that could happen alongside some grand conspiracy to frame Avery. While I think the average cop would screw over somebody they believed was guilty I find it very hard to believe a cop with no stake in doing so would setup a 16 year old for a crime they know the kid didn't commit, especially when they already have somebody else to pin it on.

I suppose it comes down to what sense the word is used. In the case of Dassey it seems clear that several people worked together to frame him. Two or more people working in concert meets a bare bones definition of 'conspiracy'.

Simple Definition of conspiracy

: a secret plan made by two or more people to do something that is harmful or illegal

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conspiracy

If this is 'business as usual' it doesn't fit the notion of an ad hoc plan to frame one person of interest. Not particularly grand , obviously- just sordid and corrupt. But it does suggest something a great deal worse.

If it is business as usual, then there is a pattern of behavior which should give us pause when contemplating how law enforcement officers proceed against other citizens who come under their scrutiny.

It would appear the original direction of the coaching of Dassey was to create 'eyewitness evidence' against Avery. Over time it seems to have morphed into implicating Dassey. I have a hard time believing this happened by accident, that they 'inadvertently' fed him all the details and sculpted the storyline they would use against him.

As far as 'having a stake' in participating in sordid and corrupt business as usual - it 's not unheard of for members of a corrupt organization to cover for one another's questionable activities.

The actions of these police shows they don't have much by way of scruples when it comes to playing their parts in business as usual in this department.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#527  Postby purplerat » Mar 28, 2016 1:44 pm

That's bare bones to the point of making the term meaningless. By your definition of "Two or more people working in concert" me and two coworkers collaborating on a project together would be a conspiracy.

The simple definition from MW adds two key components of being secretive and harmful, but what happened to Dassey only fits the latter. It definitely wasn't secretive. The recorded everything they did with him and promptly released it. You could even argue against what they were doing being intended to be harmful if they really believed he was involved. Especially his own lawyer and investigator as they were trying to get him a plea deal. The way things ultimately turned out Dassey would just about be out now if he'd taken the deal they were offering him.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#528  Postby proudfootz » Mar 28, 2016 2:11 pm

purplerat wrote:That's bare bones to the point of making the term meaningless. By your definition of "Two or more people working in concert" me and two coworkers collaborating on a project together would be a conspiracy.

If the project was to frame an innocent kid of murder, what should we call it?

I don't see any need to coin a new word.

The simple definition from MW adds two key components of being secretive and harmful, but what happened to Dassey only fits the latter. It definitely wasn't secretive. The recorded everything they did with him and promptly released it. You could even argue against what they were doing being intended to be harmful if they really believed he was involved. Especially his own lawyer and investigator as they were trying to get him a plea deal. The way things ultimately turned out Dassey would just about be out now if he'd taken the deal they were offering him.

Let's take that second element first: harmful. It seems to me that feeding Dassey details of the crime as the police narrative imagined it was intended to harm Avery by manufacturing 'evidence'. As the process went on they fed him details which landed Dassey himself in prison.

One could argue that they believed putting these people in prison wasn't harmful to the targets of their actions. I find it difficult to believe these seasoned police officers were that clueless. They might have believed this was for the 'greater good', but then that would leave the door open to all kinds of acts which are harmful to victims which the perpetrators feel are somehow justified.

It's true there were offers of 'plea deals' for crimes which Dassey did not commit. The actions of Dassey's lawyers in concert with the prosecution were fairly egregious IMO.

'Testify falsely against Avery and we won't charge you with more heinous crimes' might seem generous. On the other hand it might seem like coercion.

Yes, they recorded a lot of what they did. But they also kept his mother out of the loop as this went on and on, and these long sessions of coaching Dassey to lie didn't become public until it was too late.

This was no accident.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#529  Postby purplerat » Mar 28, 2016 2:14 pm

Regardless, whatever they did for whatever reason they did it, it was never done in secret. Recording it and presenting exactly what they did was part of their intent. Even by the most basic definition of conspiracy that would disqualify what happened to Dassey as being one.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#530  Postby proudfootz » Mar 28, 2016 2:17 pm

Except for the part about keeping it secret until after the 'confession' written by the police was successfully repeated by the unwitting kid.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#531  Postby purplerat » Mar 28, 2016 2:24 pm

That's a pretty big stretch. Might as well just stick with "Two or more people working in concert" if you really want to think it was a conspiracy, whatever that adds to the topic.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#532  Postby purplerat » Mar 28, 2016 2:27 pm

But as I recall from the show the police didn't concoct a plain to frame Dassey out of thin air. Dassey's cousin told police unsolicited that he admitted to being part of the murder prior to them coercing a confession out of him.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#533  Postby proudfootz » Mar 28, 2016 2:30 pm

To use an example: suppose my friend and I build a bomb - for the 'greater good' of course - and release a video tape of us building the bomb after it explodes killing several innocent people.

What word other than 'conspiracy' would better describe what was going on?
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#534  Postby purplerat » Mar 28, 2016 2:38 pm

proudfootz wrote:To use an example: suppose my friend and I build a bomb - for the 'greater good' of course - and release a video tape of us building the bomb after it explodes killing several innocent people.

What word other than 'conspiracy' would better describe what was going on?

Not really. Typically with all of the terrorist acts we hear about in the news with multiple assailants "conspiracy" isn't a word you hear attached to that, unless it's somebody accusing public officials of also being in on the attack. Are people talking about the recent Brussels attach as a conspiracy?
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#535  Postby felltoearth » Mar 28, 2016 4:29 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_(criminal)#United_States

Conspiracy has been defined in the United States as an agreement of two or more people to commit a crime, or to accomplish a legal end through illegal actions.[21][22] A conspiracy does not need to have been planned in secret to meet the definition of the crime.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#536  Postby purplerat » Mar 28, 2016 5:41 pm

I understand that's the legal definition and often used to overcharge people, i.e. two people engaged in a drug deal charged with conspiracy. Not exactly the standard I'd want to use.

What I'm wondering is why it's a useful term in relation to what happened to Dassey. It seems like people like to throw around the term because it then opens up the door for any number of people being involved, as in the example above where the Green Bay Packers even get involved.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#537  Postby proudfootz » Mar 29, 2016 4:56 am

If it's concluded that manufacturing evidence through the coercion of testimony is 'business as usual' in this police department it's fine by me if we call such collusion by some other word.

It still stinks and demonstrates why no rational person would put any faith in a case put forward by such corrupt public officials.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#538  Postby Teague » Mar 29, 2016 1:10 pm

Steve Avery's New Attorney Is Going Hard After the Cops She Says Framed Him

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/04/08/kath ... 41470.html

I don't have time to read it now, it rambles.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#539  Postby proudfootz » Mar 29, 2016 3:18 pm

Teague wrote:
Steve Avery's New Attorney Is Going Hard After the Cops She Says Framed Him

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/04/08/kath ... 41470.html

I don't have time to read it now, it rambles.

It's pretty much a profile of Zellner, featuring some of the work she's done overturning wrongful convictions.

Contains some hints which purport to show the direction she intends to take the case:

Asked whether she would seek a new trial, she says, “No, don’t want to do that. Not my style. I told [Avery], ‘I’m a sprinter. I’m not a long-distance runner.’” Her goal always is to vacate the conviction and have her client walk.

Zellner says the biggest piece of evidence she’s uncovered is the cellphone records that show Halbach left Avery’s property before she was killed—which Strang and Buting never brought up at trial. The state says Avery shot Halbach in his garage and then burned her body in the Avery family’s salvage yard. “So it’s absolutely shocking to see cellphone records that were part of the discovery that were turned over to the defense...document her route leaving the property. She goes back the same way she came, she’s 12 miles from the property on the last ping,” Zellner says. “They screwed it up.” Zellner also tells Newsweek that the defense team apparently didn’t realize that Daylight Savings Time ended on October 30, 2005—and that not all cellphones reset automatically—which meant that their timeline for the two independent witnesses who saw Halbach leave the Avery property was off by an hour.

Zellner likens her strategy to what she learned as a child reading those martial arts instruction books back in Oklahoma. “If you think of the concept of using your opponent’s strength against them, it’s kind of similar to a lot of the stuff I’ve done.” She says that Manitowoc police planted the evidence against Avery, and she hopes to detect that misconduct using physical clues she thinks they left behind: “They used forensic science to convict [Avery], and I’d be using it to convict them of planting the evidence.”

If Zellner is as good as everyone says she is, there's probably a good chance Avery will regain his freedom and perhaps Halbach's killer will see the inside of a courtroom.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#540  Postby purplerat » Mar 29, 2016 4:07 pm

I keep hearing in this thread that this lawyer is really good. Any reference to how many convictions she's overturned or past high profile cases?
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs