Woman fatally shot while driving in Milwaukee by child

Seems familiar?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Woman fatally shot while driving in Milwaukee by child

#101  Postby Griz_ » May 03, 2016 6:29 pm

laklak wrote:
Griz_ wrote:Even the most liberal interpretation of the second amendment does not preclude being accountable for insuring the safety of others if you own one. Safe storage laws do not infringe upon ones right to keep and bear arms. It's possibly one of the most effective steps that could be taken to prevent accidental negligent discharges and I just don't understand why this hasn't been pushed harder.

Couldn't agree more. But, how do you enforce those regulations? You cannot override 4th Amendment rights against warrantless search, so how can you insure gun owners are actually complying with the safe storage regulations? Again, it's only after the fact that you can charge them. My understanding of Australian law is anyone owning guns is subject to search at any time, but Australia doesn't have a 4th Amendment, and frankly I can't see many By Gawd Merikans lettin' them Po Po into their house without a fight.

Pretty much the same way safe storage laws are enforced in Canada. Yes, charges are laid after an event but also can be laid if in the course of a legal search of a domicile, vehicle etc, an improperly stored firearm is discovered. The sentence can be up to two years. But the police are not breaking doors down up here looking for improperly stored firearms and would have a nearly impossible legal hurdle obtaining a search warrant for that purpose, but they do discover them during legal searches for other purposes. Up here, legal gun owners are pretty careful about safe storage. Sure, illegal gun owners don't much care about it (they have bigger problems if caught) but legal responsible gun owners do seem to be the cause of a lot of so-called accidents in the US. There really is a culture of safe storage up here among legal gun owners and I credit safe storage laws with that. Equally important is the Canadian Firearms Safety Course which is mandatory and it's heavy emphasis on safety but that's not going to happen in the US as it would likely to be found to violate the 2nd amendment. Safe storage laws however might pass the Constitutional test IMO.
Griz_

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#102  Postby Teague » May 04, 2016 11:22 am

Thommo wrote:I'm going out on a limb and saying that children have access to the interior of a car more often than to the interior of a lockbox. Whether that be parents placing their child in a car (which tends not to happen with lockboxes) or because the keys are left conveniently on a hook in the hall (which tends not to happen with lockboxes).

I'd hazard a guess that cars are broken into and/or stolen more frequently too.

Honestly I'd question the judgement of someone who consistently tossed their mobile phone on their car seat and left it there in plain view through the window of the car, and a mobile phone isn't a lethal weapon that needs to be treated with appropriate respect.

I'd add and make an assertion here that the amount of 2 year-old's that have jimmied open a lock box = 0
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Teague » May 04, 2016 11:37 am

People will put up smoke detectors to protect their homes from fires, but won't keep guns locked away from children, a new study says.

In a study of 286 parents visiting emergency rooms in North Carolina, researchers found 99 percent of the households reported having at least one smoke detector, while only 57 percent said they locked away guns in a place where kids could not get access them.

"This surprised me," says Dr. Tamera Coyne-Beasley, a pediatrician at UNC-Chapel Hill School of Medicine and senior author of the study. "I [thought] people who exercised good general safety habits would also probably have good firearm safety habits as well."

The results of the study on injury prevention practices among North Carolina parents were reported today at the Ambulatory Pediatric Association meeting in Baltimore, Md.

Bullets vs. Household Cleaners

Coyne-Beasley and her colleagues at the UNC School of Public Health also found that 36 percent of the gun-owning families "admitted" to storing their guns loaded and 45 percent said they don't use gun locks when storing them.

That further contrasts with the 72 percent of families that said they cap unused electrical outlets to protect young kids from being electrocuted and another 72 percent that store poisonous household substances out of reach of their kids.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117480&page=1

A RAND Corporation study showed that about 1.4 million households (with an estimated 2.6 million children) had firearms stored unlocked and either loaded or with ammunition nearby.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2015/10/gun_accidents_why_are_parents_who_leave_loaded_weapons_lying_around_never.html

So it's not uncommon for parents to leave loaded firearms around children. Given that this is a fact, why isn't the government legislating these fuckwits and telling them they'll serve lengthy prison sentences for this behaviour? Is anyone going to disagree with that view and argue that it is ok to leave guns around children?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Teague » May 04, 2016 11:48 am

laklak wrote:
Teague wrote:
You have way too much of a blase attitude over there towards guns. To even think that a nation of people have a right to lethal weapons is fucking insane without any laws to protect the people from themselves.

Absolutely not. As I said in the post above, we are constrained by our Constitution and out current interpretation of it. People outside the U.S. do not understand that it is the bedrock underlying our entire society, and we are not going to ignore it simply because it was written 200 years ago by old, white slaveholders. It is the basis for ALL our laws, and we have a clearly defined methodology for both interpreting and modifying it.

We are not going to outlaw private possession, and even If some President or another managed to pack SCOTUS with anti-gunners and they actually DID outlaw it, that vast majority of the population would refuse to comply. You've really no idea how ingrained the ownership of weapons is in our society, nor how ready one hell of a lot of people are to pull the trigger in defense of that right.

The only way to protect the lumpen from themselves is to impose such horrific penalties on the misuse of firearms that even Cletus and Billy Joe Jim Bob are forced take notice.

Griz_ wrote:Even the most liberal interpretation of the second amendment does not preclude being accountable for insuring the safety of others if you own one. Safe storage laws do not infringe upon ones right to keep and bear arms. It's possibly one of the most effective steps that could be taken to prevent accidental negligent discharges and I just don't understand why this hasn't been pushed harder.

Couldn't agree more. But, how do you enforce those regulations? You cannot override 4th Amendment rights against warrantless search, so how can you insure gun owners are actually complying with the safe storage regulations? Again, it's only after the fact that you can charge them. My understanding of Australian law is anyone owning guns is subject to search at any time, but Australia doesn't have a 4th Amendment, and frankly I can't see many By Gawd Merikans lettin' them Po Po into their house without a fight.

I believe the constitution can be changed, can't it as you well know. If you're saying that what was good 200 years ago is good now then we're going to harshly disagree. I've made a ton of posts on these forums, I think I know exactly how embedded guns are over there because I keep making the point that it's so ingrained that Americans have a shitty attitude towards them they're so every day.

Also, using "the constitution" as an argument only works with guns doesn't it. How are your privacy laws doing right now?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Teague » May 04, 2016 11:52 am

Griz_ wrote:
laklak wrote:

Pretty much the same way safe storage laws are enforced in Canada. Yes, charges are laid after an event but also can be laid if in the course of a legal search of a domicile, vehicle etc, an improperly stored firearm is discovered. The sentence can be up to two years. But the police are not breaking doors down up here looking for improperly stored firearms and would have a nearly impossible legal hurdle obtaining a search warrant for that purpose, but they do discover them during legal searches for other purposes. Up here, legal gun owners are pretty careful about safe storage. Sure, illegal gun owners don't much care about it (they have bigger problems if caught) but legal responsible gun owners do seem to be the cause of a lot of so-called accidents in the US. There really is a culture of safe storage up here among legal gun owners and I credit safe storage laws with that. Equally important is the Canadian Firearms Safety Course which is mandatory and it's heavy emphasis on safety but that's not going to happen in the US as it would likely to be found to violate the 2nd amendment. Safe storage laws however might pass the Constitutional test IMO.

I believe the law in the UK is that you don't have an option in not allowing the police to come in and make sure you're within the law and that's exactly how it should be. You want to own a lethal weapon then I think you should have to allow the law to make sure you are being safe with it.

Perhaps the 2nd should have been "you have a right to self defence"
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#106  Postby OlivierK » May 04, 2016 1:00 pm

laklak wrote:My understanding of Australian law is anyone owning guns is subject to search at any time, but Australia doesn't have a 4th Amendment, and frankly I can't see many By Gawd Merikans lettin' them Po Po into their house without a fight.

Your understanding is correct.

We do have laws against warrantless searches, but gun safe inspections are exempt from them.

I recall similar arguments being made, both here and in the US, about the privacy implications of random breath testing of drivers. How does that work there with regards to the 4th?

(Answered my own question a little about that: http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/04/argum ... amendment/ )
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#107  Postby Teague » May 04, 2016 1:58 pm

OlivierK wrote:
laklak wrote:My understanding of Australian law is anyone owning guns is subject to search at any time, but Australia doesn't have a 4th Amendment, and frankly I can't see many By Gawd Merikans lettin' them Po Po into their house without a fight.

Your understanding is correct.

We do have laws against warrantless searches, but gun safe inspections are exempt from them.

I recall similar arguments being made, both here and in the US, about the privacy implications of random breath testing of drivers. How does that work there with regards to the 4th?

(Answered my own question a little about that: http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/04/argum ... amendment/ )

Neither of those rationales are implicated here, he maintains: once a suspected drunk driver has been arrested, his breath does not pose any danger to the arresting officers, and he can’t change or otherwise destroy the alcohol content of his blood.

Hmmmm...except he can. His body is doing that all the time which is a fact and which is why a blood test should be done as soon as possible.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#108  Postby laklak » May 04, 2016 2:16 pm

Driving a car is legally different, though there are Big L Libertarians who would argue the government has no right to regulate it. But Big L Libertarians are loons. When you get your license you agree to a specific set of restrictions, and providing a breath sample on demand is one of them. If you refuse they will charge you with an additional crime and forcibly take a blood sample. However, you still have the right to refuse a search of your car without either probable cause or a warrant, so not all 4th Amendment rights are compromised.

Privacy is under serious attack on all fronts, which is all the more reason, IMO, to tread softly in regards to ANY extension of warrantless searches. The argument that if you choose to exercise Right A then you automatically lose Right B is an insidious, totalitarian tactic and should be vigorously opposed. Again, we're talking about a specific, Constitutionally guaranteed right, not a regulated privilege like driving a car, running a restaurant, or opening a corner shop.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#109  Postby monkeyboy » May 04, 2016 2:19 pm

Why can't the the 2nd Ammendment be ummmmm, amended? Maybe to include words like, "and whilst you may possess/bear arms, you will do so responsibly. By which we mean ensuring they are stored safely and securely where your kids can't get at them. That when you do decide to carry them, you do so in a way that your kids can't just reach into your bag and help themselves. That if you are going to let your kids use them, remember that kids are prone to concentration lapses and aren't usually as strong as adults, so supervise them properly and perhaps don't let them shoot things like uzis on full auto aged 9 or give them high powered rifles and shotguns. You might want to buy young Bubba or Billy Bob a rifle for learning to walk or wipe their own tush but don't let them use it unsupervised until they've done a safety course or two m'kay?"......or something like that?
No call for inspections etc but an explanation of how reasonable people expect gun owners to look after their guns....with some big whoop ass penalties for people who are found to be screwing up on it.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#110  Postby laklak » May 04, 2016 2:30 pm

The 2nd can certainly be amended or even repealed; however, the process is purposely non-trivial and requires a super-majority at all points in the process. Until it is, though, it must be protected. It actually is a slippery slope we don't want to start down, because what's sauce for the 2nd is sauce for the 1st, 4th, 5th, et. al.

Pretty soon they're quartering troops in your guest room.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#111  Postby Griz_ » May 04, 2016 2:53 pm

I don't think that the 2nd needs to be amended to pass safe storage laws. How is my right to keep and bear arms being infringed by a law that states I can't just leave it lying around in an unsafe manner anywhere I choose to? I'll grant that you would never be able pass Canadian style safe storage laws but the general principle that you have a right to keep and bear arms with restrictions on how and where they can be left "unattended" would be defensible under the 2nd.
Griz_

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#112  Postby laklak » May 04, 2016 3:03 pm

It doesn't preclude safe storage laws, many states have some version of them. I think the problem lies in enforcement and consequent 4th Amendment issues. I'm all for locked storage laws under certain circumstances, as well as expanded background checks, and much harsher penalties for avoidable 'accidents'. As pointed out above, these are all reactive measures, but I don't know how to be more proactive in our current political environment.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Griz_ » May 04, 2016 3:09 pm

I came across this which has a lot of very good information on this subject:
http://smartgunlaws.org/safe-storage-gu ... y-summary/

Here is their most basic proposal which I think would be a great starting place and is basically what I was proposing earlier:

All firearms are required to be kept disabled with a locking device except when an authorized user is carrying it on his or her person or has the firearm under his or her immediate control (Massachusetts, New York City)

Enforcement IMO would occur only after an event or if discovered during the course of a lawful search. I think this would go a long way towards preventing deaths and injuries without infringing upon the 2nd.
Griz_

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#114  Postby laklak » May 04, 2016 3:37 pm

Yeah, something like that. Depends a lot on the definitions, so they'd have to be codified. I can see a lot of arguments over what constitutes 'immediate control' or a 'locking device', for example. There would also have to be exemptions for farmers, ranchers, etc. Lots of them have a rifle in the pickup or on the quad. Same for more rural folks. Up in the mountains a lot of folks had a loaded rifle or shotgun on a rack. Bears and such. But in general, sure.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#115  Postby Onyx8 » May 04, 2016 3:40 pm

I still don't get that, there's bears here and I don't keep a gun handy for them. We have cougars and wolves too and I still go out unarmed into the woods all the time, never felt the need for a weapon.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#116  Postby laklak » May 04, 2016 3:45 pm

Dunno, custom?
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#117  Postby Griz_ » May 04, 2016 3:45 pm

Onyx8 wrote:I still don't get that, there's bears here and I don't keep a gun handy for them. We have cougars and wolves too and I still go out unarmed into the woods all the time, never felt the need for a weapon.

It's funny you say that. I knew a guy from the US who wanted to come with us on canoe trips in northern Ontario. We would be out for a week or more among the bears, wolves and moose. He never did, in part because he thought we were insane not carrying guns with us. I always said that I would be more afraid of his gun than the bears. lol
Griz_

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#118  Postby Teague » May 04, 2016 3:46 pm

Onyx8 wrote:I still don't get that, there's bears here and I don't keep a gun handy for them. We have cougars and wolves too and I still go out unarmed into the woods all the time, never felt the need for a weapon.

My friend in California was telling me how a cougar killed a guy on a bike riding out in the country. You only come back from the woods, presumably, because they haven't pounced on you...yet?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#119  Postby laklak » May 04, 2016 3:49 pm

Well, we have 'Murkin armed bears. In Kevlar vests.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#120  Postby Onyx8 » May 04, 2016 3:57 pm

lol
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs