You have to be Christian to truly be American?

Many people in the U.S. say so

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

You have to be Christian to truly be American?

#1  Postby DoctorE » Feb 03, 2017 9:23 am

About one-third of all Americans think that you have to be a Christian to truly be an American — despite the history of religious pluralism that dates back to the nation’s very earliest days.

In a timely survey released Wednesday afternoon, just as the United States is debating the merits of suspending immigration from seven majority-Muslim countries, the Pew Research Center asked residents of numerous nations what it takes to truly belong in their countries. Americans were far more likely than residents of other countries included in the survey to say that religion was key to sharing in the national identity.

Thirty-two percent of Americans said one should be Christian to really be American, compared to just 13 percent of Australians, 15 percent of Canadians and 15 percent of Europeans who felt the same way about belonging in their homelands.

The same number of Americans — 32 percent — said that being born in the United States is key to being an American. More Americans — 45 percent — said that sharing “national customs and traditions” was important, and many more — 70 percent — said being an American meant speaking English.

Religion was the only question on which Americans were an outlier. On birth, language and customs, America fell in line with other industrialized nations

Continues: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... to-say-so/
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: You have to be Christian to truly be American?

#2  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 03, 2017 10:10 am

When the people who claim that don't also say "I'm Irish" every ten minutes, I'll be willing to take their views on what makes someone American a bit more seriously.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby zulumoose » Feb 03, 2017 10:21 am

Religion was the only question on which Americans were an outlier

Obviously they didn't ask any probing questions on support for the military or displays of patriotism then.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Feb 03, 2017 11:07 am

News just in - True AmericansTM speak Adai, Algic, Alsea, Atakapa, Beothuk, Caddoan, Cayuse,
Chimakuan, Chimariko, Chinookan, Chitimacha ...

Oh, and they believe in the Great Spirit, not the baby Jesus. True AmericansTM are shamanistic animists.

Bloody European illegal immigrants, going over there, committing genocidal slaughters by the bucket load, stealing their land ...
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby CarlPierce » Feb 03, 2017 11:22 am

chairman bill wrote:News just in - True AmericansTM speak Adai, Algic, Alsea, Atakapa, Beothuk, Caddoan, Cayuse,

Oh, and they believe in the Great Spirit, not the baby Jesus. True AmericansTM are shamanistic animists.

Bloody European illegal immigrants, going over there, committing genocidal slaughters by the bucket load, stealing their land ...

Its time the UK started condemning US illegal settlements.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby chairman bill » Feb 03, 2017 12:10 pm

CarlPierce wrote:Its time the UK started condemning US illegal settlements.

Yep.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby rplatell » Feb 03, 2017 1:29 pm

Well, except that quite a lot of those illegal settlements were actually established under the flag of Great Britain.
rplatell

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8  Postby CarlPierce » Feb 03, 2017 2:32 pm

rplatell wrote:Well, except that quite a lot of those illegal settlements were actually established under the flag of Great Britain.

Ssssssh. We just need to quietly dismantle Jamestown and sail away......no harm done......oh dear too late.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Feb 04, 2017 1:44 am

One third of Americans can go fuck themselves sideways.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 04, 2017 2:54 am

laklak wrote:One third of Americans can go fuck themselves sideways.

Why leave out the rest of the Trump supporters?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Silent Mason » Mar 26, 2017 3:47 am

chairman bill wrote:News just in - True AmericansTM speak Adai, Algic, Alsea, Atakapa, Beothuk, Caddoan, Cayuse,

The Europeans who came to what is now the States were not illegal immigrants. The concept of illegal immigration presupposes a state or country, which the Indians did not have. They early Europeans were settlers, often times with the help and good graces of the Indians. This does not hold so much for the later years of contact, but it would still be a confusion to think of them as illegal immigrants.
Last edited by Silent Mason on Mar 26, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silent Mason
Banned Sockpuppet

Name: Mason

Print view this post

#12  Postby crank » Mar 26, 2017 6:08 am

There's always that third that has unabashedly insane, delusional opinions on damn near every issue. And it's not always the same 1/3, it varies by issue, but it's mostly the same.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Blackadder » Mar 26, 2017 3:15 pm

crank wrote:There's always that third that has unabashedly insane, delusional opinions on damn near every issue. And it's not always the same 1/3, it varies by issue, but it's mostly the same.

Most countries have a significant segment of fuckwits. America is exceptional in that its fuckwits have Added Jesus Sauce and the Jesus Sauce suppliers are kept well financed by them.

Stupidity, money and Jesus. Quite a dangerous combination.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby KeenIdiot » Mar 27, 2017 9:23 am

Certainly feels like it, where I live.
Bit of a conflict in me. My upbringing leads me to want to be patriotic, but a large section of the people I interact with daily strongly believe I'm against them and the country implicitly.
I'm pretty young, but was raised pretty old fashioned. My grandparents were farmers, my father buult his factory from the ground up and I started working there at a young age.
Of all the things they taught me about being American, as good salt of the Earth type people, religion wasn't core to it.
Yes, you were expected to be religious. But there was also a sort of acceptance of pluralism as well.
Heck, I have a plaque on my wall that used to belong to my grandfather that detailed what it meant to be a "good American."
God isn't on there.
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Willie71 » Apr 03, 2017 4:18 pm

If where hey came from (the Europeans) was so terrible, why didn't they give up their old traditions and assimilate into American tribal culture?
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs