5 reasons atheism is irrational

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 5 reasons atheism is irrational

#301  Postby IanS » Mar 24, 2010 7:08 pm

IanS wrote:
maynard wrote: There is something to disprove. God. You don't believe in god, why is that?

No, that's wrong.

There would only be something to disprove if there was some reasonable evidence that the God existed in the first place. Otherwise any of us could invent a million unknown claims, and then according to you the obligation would be upon everyone else to keep "disproving" countless suggestions of whatever type anyone ever wished to make.

The reason people don't believe in god is not merely that there is no genuine evidence. But rather - (a)there is no genuine evidence where there ought to be vast and abundantly obvious evidence, and (b)the suggestion itself is apparently impossible as far as anyone on this earth can genuinely tell ... because in all the millions of things man has ever truly investigated and explained, not one single thing has ever turned out to be supernatural nor have even the most microscopic hint that it ever might have had anything supernatural about it ... so gods and other supernatural claims appear to be entirely baseless as far as anyone can honestly tell.

maynard wrote: If you believe that the universe lacks a creator, you need to explain that. You need to explain how the universe is how it is without involving a creator.

No again you are completely wrong. As I just explained above - the obligation is upon you to explain why you believe a creator exists. There is no such obligation on non-believers who don't believe your un-evidenced and apparently impossible claim of a supernatural god. Otherwise I could propose a million crazy things today, and according to you, you would then be required to explain why all those millions of nutty claims were untrue.

But the universe does not need a creator God. There are plenty of published physics papers which explain how the universe may have arisen from what we call literally "nothing" .... that "nothing" is actually a zero overall balance of fundamental energy fields (called the Initial Energy Density) which has the inescapable inherent property of random quantum level fluctuations (that's an inevitable uncertainty which apparently characterises everything in the known universe) ...

... when a random fluctuation reaches a critical size, the Energy Density is spontaneously forced to produce various types of short-lived sub-atomic particles, which then interact with one-another in a long chain of very fast reactions ultimately leading to what we call the Big Bang and hence the birth of our universe ...

... in that model, which I think was first published in Phys Rev Letters by Alexander Vilenkin about 25 years ago, the universe actually appears spontaneously from literally nothing, in much the same way that that sub-atomic particles are known to be popping in & out of existence continuously in all energetic systems everywhere in the universe ... and that's a mathematical model which conforms to the rigors of both quantum theory and relativity ...

... it's not certain to be the precise explanation, and that's why it's not a "Theory", but it is a plausible and mathematically consistent model which explains how the universe may indeed have arisen from literally "nothing".

But in any case it cannot ever be an answer just to say "god did it", because that is quite simply not actually an answer at all. You have to say how god did it. How did he do it? What did god actually do to create the universe? If you can't explain what god did, then the statement that "god did it" is actually just a statement of complete ignorance and actually means that you don’t even know yourself what you mean by your own words .... you have to say how god did it, otherwise the claim is worthless.

maynard wrote: If I said there's a green dog in your living room, and you don't believe me, you'd have to show how there isn't one. Same with god.

No. That's wrong yet again. And for the same reasons already explained twice above. Namely - if you say there is a green dog in an room, then it's YOU that needs to show evidence of that. It's not up to everyone else in the world to disprove every baseless assertion that you might care to make.

Ian.

maynard wrote:I'm asking you to explain and describe what it is about the nature of the universe that precludes a god or creator.

If that reply of yours (in red above) is a reply to my directly previous post (also quoted above), then your reply is not so much an answer of any kind, but actually a complete avoidance of any answer ...

... do you have any answer to the points which I clearly made to you?

But to answer your reply directly - the explanation of why the universe "precludes a god" renders a supernatural creator/god highly unlikely is because science has shown us that the so-called "supernatural" does not exist as far as anyone on earth can honestly tell ...

... there is absolutely no reason to think that anything supernatural exists, or that it even could ever exist ...

... the only reason anyone ever mentioned "supernatural" in the first place is that someone dreamt the word up to put it in a dictionary ... to suggest that maybe something apparently impossible might exist, even if there is no evidence and no reason to think anything supernatural could ever exist anyway. ... it's just word in a dictionary, like the words "unicorn" and "devil" ... it doesn't mean they exist.

Also, as I already explained to you - there is in fact a perfectly reasonable scientific model which shows how the universe might have appeared from what we literally call "nothing" ... and that's a rigorous mathematical model which conforms to the known laws of physics.

And thirdly - as I also explained earlier ... it is in any case not actually an explanation at all merely to say "god did it" ... you have say exactly how god did it ... otherwise the god claim is 100% worthless.

If you genuinely want to learn the truth about these things, then you should be seriously considering what I have said to you, rather than continuously trying to dodge all uncomfortable questions.

Ian.
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#302  Postby IanS » Mar 24, 2010 7:32 pm

maynard wrote: If you have evidence for god, it's because you've acknowledged whatever it is as possibly being evidence, then considered and evaluated it for yourself, then accepted it as evidence for yourself.

No. That's wrong. What you say does not make it "evidence".

What you are now trying to say is that "evidence" is whatever you personally want it to be. So that for you, anything could be seen as evidence, if it suits your thinking.

But on the contrary, genuine "evidence" is something which can be independently confirmed and verified by other independent people (not merely by your own claims of "evidence").

Just because I say I have seen evidence of Hitler living on the moon, that does not make it genuine "evidence" merely because I say I've seen it and I'm personally satisfied by it.

If you claim to have genuine evidence of gods existence then you have to submit your evidence to genuine independent un-biased scrutiny (actually that means, "scientific" scrutiny). So, where is it? Where is your genuine evidence for god?

maynard wrote:It all comes down to what you want to acknowledge, consider and evaluate, and accept. And that's based on your faith.

It only comes down to that if you are prepared to believe things are true merely because you want them to be true. What you are actually saying is that you are at liberty to ignore genuine evidence if it doesn't suit you. And indeed any of us can do exactly that. Any of us can invent our own "evidence" and say we are personally satisfied ... but that does not make your belief objectively true in any sense at all. In fact that is the very definition of self delusion!

Ian.
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#303  Postby tytalus » Mar 24, 2010 7:46 pm

I don't think it's so much 'genuine' as 'credible,' levels of evidence and the certainty it can provide. Rather than saying that's not True EvidenceTM and be guilty of fallacious rhetoric, it seems reasonable to evaluate maynard's evidence -- since it only works for him, and depends upon faith -- as low quality. Scientific scrutiny provides evidence of much better quality, and I find it amusing that maynard has enough confidence in it as to use a computer. :) Just an example of how his behavior implicitly answers some of the questions he evaded.
Futurama wrote: Bender: Dying sucks butt. How do you living beings cope with mortality?
Leela: Violent outbursts.
Amy: General slutiness.
Fry: Thanks to denial, I'm immortal.
tytalus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#304  Postby MattHunX » Mar 24, 2010 8:05 pm

maynard wrote:It is bias and faith. You're a skeptic, you're predisposed, inclined, to doubt the existence of god. Does that sound like objectivity, or does it say more about you than it does about the existence of a god? It certainly doesn't indicate a universe that has no god, we've established that. All that's left is your skepticism.

I'm faithful, you're skeptical. My faith and your skepticism are both sides of the same coin of assumption. I go out of my way to assume that there's a god. However, rather than merely witholding belief (which I can do also) , you're going out of your way to assume there isn't a god.

Sorry for cutting in, but maynard here is seems to be overlooking a certain thing, that I have seen thedistillers and theidiot do also, as well as other theists.

maynard is incorrectly making the assumption, or is rather under the (wrong) impression, that skeptics are as such because of their biases. He seems to think, that skeptics start out as such. Even though it has been pointed out to him by mmmcheezy and I don't know who else, that what he thinks because of his own bias and lack of actual understanding of who, what and why skeptics/atheist are what they are, is not so.

I will quote mmmcheezy here, if it's no problem:
mmmcheezy wrote:
You're very misinformed about the nature of atheism. Rarely does anyone "want" to lack belief. In fact, many of us had crises of faith before leading to the logical conclusion that there probably isn't a god.

And we don't have "faith" that there isn't a god. There's simply no evidence that there IS one, therefore it's simply a conclusion we've reached.

Wow. I should be used to this by now.

Every theist of any kind, who I have seen on this site so far, had the above information presented to them, yet, it is as if it just goes past their ears and doesn't quite reach them. Ignoring the fact that the atheist/skeptics on this site were once devout believers like the theists are now.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#305  Postby Shrunk » Mar 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Now what did maynard do to get himself banned?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#306  Postby jim » Mar 24, 2010 10:09 pm

Shrunk wrote:Now what did maynard do to get himself banned?

armageddo Troll (Sock puppet: maynard)
Father Dougal:
Come on, Ted. Sure it's no more peculiar than all that stuff we learned in the seminary, you know, Heaven and Hell and everlasting life and all that type of thing. You're not meant to take it seriously, Ted!
jim

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#307  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 24, 2010 10:09 pm

jim wrote:
Shrunk wrote:Now what did maynard do to get himself banned?

armageddo Troll (Sock puppet: maynard)

HAHAHAHAHA.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#308  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 25, 2010 1:29 am

Oh dear, I see maynard was banned. Even so, I think it is apposite to address his canards.

maynard wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:And you quoted my entire post simply so that you could append a three-line non-reply to the end?

Sorry. So what is your personal alternative explanation?

I don't have a "personal alternative explanation". I accept that there exists an alternative explanation, one that does not require supernatural entities of any sort, and which enjoys massive evidential support from observational reality, but is isn't my explanation, it's an explanation resulting from millions of man hours of diligent observation, experiment and analysis arising from the labour of the world's most educated scientists. I don't possess the hubris required to tell these people that they're wrong, just because old books of myths erect blind assertions that are incompatible with the evidence-based view that these people have produced.

maynard wrote:The thread's about atheism, not theism.

Actually, this thread began with a series of blind assertions that atheism was purportedly "irrational", based upon the usual tiresome supernaturalist canards that the regulars have come to know and despise. This thread has been devoted to the shredding of those canards. And likewise, now that you are erecting canards of your own, the thread is now devoted to the shredding of your canards. I suggest you pay attention to the actual contents of the thread, as opposed to what you happen to wish them to be.

maynard wrote:I've asked why an atheist holds the view that there's no god.

And once again, you miss the point completely. An atheist merely regards himself as not obliged to accept uncritically unsupported blind supernaturalist assertions. Not accepting uncritically your blind assertions about whatever invisible magic man you think exists, does not equal uncritical acceptance of the converse assertions. I suggest that you learn this lesson quickly.

Once again, what part of "YOU assert that your magic man exists, YOU support your assertions" requires anyone adopting this stance to hold any view at all? It merely requires that whoever adopts this stance does not accept uncritically your blind assertions. When are you going to learn this?

maynard wrote:I haven't asked why a theist hasn't convinced an atheist.

And again, congratulations upon missing the entire point. Allow me to lead you through the baby steps.

[1] Supernaturalists erect the assertion that an invisible magic man exists. Depending upon the particular species of invisible magic man, they then erect additional assertions about the attributes that this entity purportedly possesses, but these additional assertions are all critically coupled to the existence assertion, so the existence assertion is the key assertion here. It is this central existence assertion that is important here.

[2] Supernaturalists then erect another assertion, namely that the existence assertion erected in [1] above constitutes established fact about the world.

[3] Atheists simply regard the assertion in [1] above as unsupported, and therefore that they are not obliged to regard it as constituting anything other than a blind assertion. As a corollary, they regard the assertion in [2] as fatuous, precisely because the assertion in [1] is unsupported. That is atheism in a nutshell. Note that nowhere in all of this, have atheists erected any postulates of their own as a part of this process. They may choose to erect postulates, but that erection of postulates is a separate issue.

Once again, what part of "YOU assert that your magic man exists, YOU support your assertions" do you not understand?

Furthermore, why is it so difficult for you to understand that questioning the validity of your assertions does not equal erection of contrary assertions? In what logically consistent universe does "I do not consider that you have supported your assertions" equal "I erect contrary assertions"?

maynard wrote:@MrFungus

If you said that I owe you $10,000, I'd try to find out for myself whether or not I do.

In other words, you would seek evidence either confirming or refuting his assertion. And, if the hypothetical situation he erects above were to become real, and he started issuing demands for $10,000 to be paid to his bank account, you would require him to support his assertion that you owed him $10,000. Support such as your signature upon a contract making you liable for said sum, as a result of some transaction. In the absence of such evidence, you would regard his assertion as unsupported, and therefore you would regard yourself as not obliged to act upon that assertion, and therefore not obliged to pay him $10,000.

Now, why do you think that an entirely contrary position applies with respect to your assertions about an invisible magic man?

maynard wrote:If I asked you without finding out for myself, you would insist that I do, so I wouldn't just rely on what you tell me. Otherwise, I'd never know for myself.

So near and yet so far.

Now, apply the above to your assertion that an invisible magic man of some sort exists, and understand why we are not obliged to accept this simply because you erect this assertion.

maynard wrote:@Occams Laser

You're talking specifically about the biblical god, but we're discussing the general idea of a creator.

The existence of which still remains an unsupported assertion. What part of this do you not understand?

maynard wrote:As for the $10,000, what I need to do is find out for myself if I owe you it. I don't need to show you, you already think I owe you it (or not. Either way, you'll say I do). I need to know for myself if I do.

And once again, why do you expect us to accept an entirely contrary position to the above, with respect to your assertion that an invisible magic man exists?

maynard wrote:I'm asking you to explain and describe what it is about the nature of the universe that precludes a god or creator.

And once again, I'm telling you that I don't need to do this, because I am not the one erecting a categorical assertion about the world. Once again, what part of "YOU assert that your magic man exists, YOU support your assertion" do you not understand?

maynard wrote:As the one lacking belief, what would I say about your monitor (the universe) that precludes the possibility that there's a dragon (god) on top of (responsible for) it?

And once again congratulations on missing the point, despite having accepted it above with respect to MrFungus' assertion about your financial liability. Namely, that whoever erects assertions is required to support those assertions, if those erecting said assertions wish for others to accept those assertions as valid and factual. In the above case, Shrunk is asserting that there is a purple dragon on top of his monitor, therefore, as the one erecting the assertion, he is required to provide support for that assertion. You are not obliged to accept that assertion. If Shrunk happens to produce live video footage of said dragon, filmed by a dozen different news crews from around the world such as CNN, BBC, NHK, ABC etc., then we're no longer dealing with an unsupported assertion, we're dealing with an evidentially supported postulate, and at this point, acceptance of that postulate is perfectly legitimate. You are not required to speculate about the finer details of Shrunk's monitor in order to dismiss his assertion in the absence of supporting evidence for that assertion. And, here is the important part, the same principle applies to your assertion about an invisible magic man. There is nothing special about this assertion, other than the scale of the claim being made, that separates it from any other assertion. Just because your assertion happens to be about an invisible magic man does not confer a privileged status upon this assertion.

maynard wrote:I lack belief in the dragon.

In other words, you do not accept uncritically the relevant assertion. So, why is it so difficult for you to accept that we adopt the same stance with respect to your assertion about an invisible magic man?

maynard wrote:Presumably, there's something about that monitor which precludes the possibility that there's a dragon on top of it. What could it be?

And once again, speculation of this sort is irrelevant. The finer details of the structure of Shrunk's monitor are irrelevant with respect to his assertion. All that matters with respect to his assertion, is whether or not a purple dragon is indeed sitting on top of it or not. If there is no purple dragon sitting on top of his monitor, his assertion is false. If, by some bizarre twist of fate, there IS a purple dragon sitting on top of his monitor, then that assertion is true, but until he disseminates evidence of this entity into the public domain, the validity of that assertion is beyond your remit to assess. You are not obliged to accept his assertion until that evidence is disseminated into the public domain, subject to relevant scrutiny, and found to be genuine evidence of the presence of a purple dragon sitting on top of his monitor, courtesy of said scrutiny.

Is the message finally getting home to you?

maynard wrote:In order to do that, what could I say about the monitor that precludes the dragon?

Once again, this is irrelevant. The finer details of Shrunk's monitor are irrelevant with respect to this assertion. All that matters is whether or not a purple dragon is actually sitting on top of his monitor.

maynard wrote:As the one lacking belief in god (the dragon), I can't think of anything that I could say about the universe which precludes the possibility that a god, or anything like a god, could be responsible for it. What I'm asking is, can you?

And once again, this is irrelevant. Let's run through the baby steps once more, shall we?

[1] YOU are asserting that an invisible magic man exists.

[2] YOU are asserting that the existence of this invisible magic man is an established fact about the world.

[3] Therefore YOU are required to support the assertion in [1] above, and by doing so, support additionally the assertion in [2] above.

[4] Moreover, in order to do so, YOU must find some means by which the existence of this entity can be made reliably, repeatably and publicly verifiable. Without this, you are unable to achieve the objective stated in [3] above.

maynard wrote:It may or may not exist, if you can't preclude a god.

But the whole point is, that until YOU provide reliable, repeatable and publicly accessible verification of the existence of this entity, no one is obliged to treat the assertion of the existence of this entity as constituting established fact. How many times do you need this basic principle repeating to you, before you accept this principle as a basic principle of reasoned discourse?

maynard wrote:Yes because if you don't believe it exists, there must be something about the universe that excludes the possibility that a god or anything like a god is responsible.

And once again, you continue to miss the point.

YOU are the one asserting that an invisible magic man is required to bring this universe into being, therefore YOU are the one required to support this assertion. We are not obliged to do anything other than sit around waiting for you to deliver the goods, or not, as the case may be. Which is what rational thinkers have been doing with respect to invisible magic man assertions of one sort or another, erected by various supernaturalists, for 5,000 years. The nature of the universe is irrelevant with respect to our lack of obligation to accept your assertions.

maynard wrote:If you don't believe in god, that doesn't preclude the possibility of its existence, that's right. What I'm asking is, what does preclude it, in the mind of the one lacking belief?

This is a separate question. What matters here is that it is supernaturalists who erect the relevant existence assertion, and claim that said assertion constitutes an established fact about the world, therefore it is the same supernaturalists who are required to support that existence assertion. We are not obliged to do anything other than sit around waiting for them to deliver the goods.

maynard wrote:@Tytalus

I know. There's nothing about the universe, to a believer or a lacker of belief, that indicates any specific alternative to a god creator.

Oh, you know this, do you? Care to present the substantive knowledge that allows you to erect this assertion?

maynard wrote:As a believer, I want to believe that there's a god

In other words, you want the universe to conform to your wishful thinking, regardless of whether it actually does. Which is why I'm asking for the above substantive knowledge that you claim to possess, because I do not regard that such substantive knowledge actually exists.

maynard wrote:and seeing as there's nothing that would deny the possibility

This is merely another assertion on your part. Another assertion you are required to support. Once again, we see that familiar aspect of the supernaturalist aetiology, namely the appearance of an ever growing number of unsupported blind assertions, presented as if they constituted established fact, but bereft of the critically robust evidential support required to convert them into established fact.

maynard wrote:the only thing that determines whether or not I believe is my desire to believe.

For once, your candour is so refreshing.

maynard wrote:Likewise, a lacker of belief is in the same situation.

Wrong. False symmetry.

maynard wrote:They want to lack belief in god

Complete poppycock. What you will find, if you bother to learn what atheism actually IS, as you have been repeatedly schooled upon here, instead of sticking to the strawman caricature version that supernaturalists are so fond of, is that atheists consider belief itself to be an invalid means of obtaining substantive knowledge about the real world. Because, at bottom, all that belief consists of is uncritical acceptance of unsupported assertions.

maynard wrote:and seeing as they see nothing to indicate either way, the only thing that determines whether or not they believe is their reluctance or non desire to do so.

Poppycock. What determines the absence of belief on the part of atheists is [1] the rejection of the validity of the entire process of belief, for the reason cited above, and [2] the complete failure of supernaturalists to support their assertions about their invisible magic men.

When are you going to learn this lesson?

maynard wrote:If you have evidence for god, it's because you've acknowledged whatever it is as possibly being evidence, then considered and evaluated it for yourself, then accepted it as evidence for yourself.

I would contend that this is merely the result of supernaturalists having low evidential standards. It's not as if they've failed to provide evidence of possessing low evidential standards in the past.

maynard wrote:It all comes down to what you want to acknowledge, consider and evaluate, and accept.

Wrong. Go and look outside your window. Do you see what lies outside? It's called the real world. And the real world hands you whatever it is going to hand you, regardless of whatever wishful thinking you may be indulging in at the time. You can wish all you want for the day to be sunny, but if the real world has just parked honking big anvil shaped cumulo-nimbus clouds over your house, extending in all directions for a 50 mile radius, and those clouds are depositing hailstones the size of tennis balls all over your neighbourhood, your wishful thinking about the day being sunny can go and take a hike.

maynard wrote:And that's based on your faith.

Bollocks. Once more, what part of the real world do you not understand? Or, how the real world will serve up whatever it's going to serve up, regardless of what fantasies you want to entertain?

This isn't a matter of "faith", it's a matter of reality.

maynard wrote:Absolute proof is an ideal, evidence is what we rely on.

And where do we obtain that evidence from? That's right, the real world. That entity outside your window that isn't going to go away or rearrange itself to suit your presuppositions just because you want it to.

maynard wrote:And seeing as what is accepted is down to the individual, it is the individual's bias that determines what they themselves accept.

Once again, bollocks. What part of reliable, repeatable and publicly verifiable fact from the real world do you not understand again? None of which any supernaturalist has ever provided to support their assertions about invisible magic men?

maynard wrote:We've established that there's no indication of a universe that can't have a god

We've established nothing of the sort. All that has been established here is that you possess a prejudice to this effect.

maynard wrote:so all that's left is faith, one way or the other.

Again, bollocks. Try paying attention to the real world sometime, instead of thinking that all you have to do is erect some convoluted semantic fabrication, and the world will rearrange itself to fit.

maynard wrote:It is bias and faith.

Complete bollocks. Faith consists of accepting uncritically unsupported blind assertions as if they constituted established facts about the world. NOT accepting uncritically said unsupported blind assertions in this manner is the very antithesis of faith.

maynard wrote:You're a skeptic, you're predisposed, inclined, to doubt the existence of god.

Bollocks. We're merely predisposed not to accept uncritically unsupported blind assertions. If you want the purported existence of your magic man to be accepted as a real world fact, then the onus is on YOU to go out there, and provide reliable, repeatable and publicly verifiable evidence supporting the existence of this entity.

maynard wrote:Does that sound like objectivity, or does it say more about you than it does about the existence of a god?

Well since you've erected a complete strawman caricature of scepticism above, your question is null and void.

maynard wrote:It certainly doesn't indicate a universe that has no god, we've established that.

And once again, since YOU are the one asserting that your magic man exists, and YOU are the one asserting that the universe needs your magic man, YOU are the one required to support these two assertions. "We" have established nothing of the sort with respect to your above assertion. All that "we" have established is that you are incapable of imagining a universe that doesn't need a magic man, because you possess a presupposition that a magic man exists.

maynard wrote:All that's left is your skepticism.

Correction. All that's left is your unsupported blind assertions. None of which we are obliged to do anything other than point and laugh at, for as long as you continue the charade of pretending that said assertions constitute established fact, without once providing proper evidential support for said assertions.

maynard wrote:I'm faithful, you're skeptical.

This means that you accept uncritically unsupported blind assertions, we don't. No "symmetry" involved. So your attempt to erect one is bogus.

maynard wrote:My faith and your skepticism are both sides of the same coin of assumption.

Bollocks. The whole point of scepticism is to subject assumptions to critical scrutiny, and determine if there exists any valid reason to consider those assumptions to be valid. To a sceptic, assumptions exist to be tested to destruction. Once again, your specious attempt to erect a "symmetry" between scepticism and faith is precisely that - specious.

maynard wrote:I go out of my way to assume that there's a god. However, rather than merely witholding belief (which I can do also) , you're going out of your way to assume there isn't a god.

Bollocks. If a supernaturalist actually succeeded in presenting valid evidence for an invisible magic man, then that evidence would be accepted. Not least because any such evidence that was forthcoming would be of such a momentous nature, that some very serious minded gentlemen in Sweden would be waiting to present a gold medal to whoever presented that evidence, and established its validity in the public arena. This would be headline news all around the world. The entire planet's news media would be churning out television programmes and column inches of print on the subject for months afterwards. This should be telling you something important here.

maynard wrote:I have faith in a universe that has a god, you have faith in a universe that has no god.

Once again, your fake attempt to erect a bogus "symmetry" is precisely that - fake.

You accept uncritically that an invisible magic man exists, we don't. No "symmetry" involved.

maynard wrote:Regarding god concepts, it's not a case of you merely lacking and witholding belief in something. I can do that too, and I do.

Bollocks. When are you going to drop this tired supernaturalist canard? Especially as people have spent the best part of 10 pages of this thread schooling you on this?

maynard wrote:It's a case of you taking it a step further (as I do, but in the opposite direction, with my faith) and assuming that there's no god.

Once again, bollocks. The whole point of scepticism, in case you hadn't received the memo, is to assume nothing. The whole point of scepticism consists of taking assumptions as and when they arise, and testing them to destruction. The ones that survive said tests become evidentially supported postulates. What part of this elementary concept do you not understand?

maynard wrote:In other words, the fact that there's nothing about the universe which precludes a god causes you to withold belief in one, because you don't (or can't?) know whether or not there is one.

Once again, poppycock. First, we regard belief itself as invalid, because as I stated above, belief consists of nothing more than uncritical acceptance of unsupported assertions. We reject this from the beginning. Second, your above assertion about the nature of the universe is merely another unsupported assertion on your part, and we're still waiting to see this assertion supported.

maynard wrote:But your assumption that there is no god

Which is a blatant apologetic fabrication on your part. What part of "scepticism means testing assumptions to destruction" do you not understand again?

maynard wrote:in other words your skepticism and doubt and lack of belief

Correction, your strawman caricature version thereof. Which we reject precisely because it is visibly and blatantly a strawman caricature.

maynard wrote:is not only an acknowledgement that you don't (or can't?) know, it's a faith of sorts just like my faith is.

Complete crap. What part of "NOT accepting uncritically unsupported blind assertions" equals "faith" in any logically consistent universe?

maynard wrote:If it isn't faith, then the only other thing to do is say that you conclusively know that there's no god.

Once again, not accepting your unsupported assertions does not mean erecting the contrary assertions. When are you going to learn this?

maynard wrote:But you can't say that, and you wisely haven't said it.

Guess what? We're not in the habit of erecting blind assertions we can't support. A pity supernaturalists don't adopt the same modus operandi.

maynard wrote:You don't know if there's a god but you think there isn't.

Actually, to be rigorous about this, we regard the relevant existence assertion as unsupported. Therefore, whilst this assertion remains unsupported, it is perfectly legitimate to proceed as if this entity does not exist. Because if it ever ceased to become legitimate to do so, this would be because we had evidence to this effect. Said evidence, once it materialised, would be of such a momentous nature that it would be headline news around the world. Since I don't recall seeing a Nobel Prize being awarded for this, it's safe to conclude that such evidence hasn't materialised.

maynard wrote:That is faith in a universe that has no god.

Bollocks. Once again, NOT accepting uncritically your unsupported blind assertions is the very antithesis of faith. When are you going to learn this elementary lesson?

maynard wrote:If I wasa betting man, I'd bet that there's a god, I'd bet everything I have, even my life.

Oh look, it's Pascal's Wager. Yawn.

maynard wrote:If you were a betting man, I'm sure you'd place a big bet on yourself that there's no god.

And once again, we see the fake erection of a non-existent "symmetry", between your uncritical acceptance of unsupported blind assertions, and our rejection of the entire process of uncritical acceptance of unsupported blind assertions regardless of the nature of the assertions in question. Which IS fake, because that "symmetry" IS non-existent.

maynard wrote:Now it's really starting to sound like faith.

Bollocks. your strawman caricature of scepticism is precisely that - a strawman caricature. Go and read how scepticism actually operates above.

maynard wrote:If an agnostic is someone who thinks that there's no way of knowing if there's a god or not, then you must, as an atheist, think that there is.

It's entirely possible that some means of subjecting this assertion to critical test does exist. But, once again, it's the responsibility of the supernaturalist erecting the relevant existence assertion to provide this. Is this message getting home to you?

maynard wrote:How do you decide what constitues that?

That is the responsibility of you and other supernaturalists like you who erect the relevant existence assertion.

maynard wrote:Again, we're back to faith.

Bollocks. First, we're not the ones erecting blind assertions about the existence of an invisible magic man, then claiming that this assertion constitutes an established fact about the world - it's you and your fellow supernaturalists who are doing this. Second, since you and your fellow supernaturalists are the ones doing this, you are the ones required to support this assertion. If the task is too hard for you, then tough, you shouldn't erect blind assertions you can't support. Third, how many times do you need to be told, that YOU are the one operating on the basis of "faith", not us, because YOU are the one who accepts uncritically an unsupported blind assertion?

maynard wrote:There is nothing else to use to decide that.

And here we have yet another blind assertion on your part. How do you know that your existence assertion isn't testable? Have you ever tried to determine this question in a rigorous manner?

I think that covers the relevant bases.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#309  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 25, 2010 1:31 am

He's already been banned.

mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#310  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 25, 2010 2:04 am

I acknowledged that at the beginning of the post. I just felt the need for the practice after spending time convalescing. :)
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#311  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 25, 2010 2:06 am

Calilasseia wrote:I acknowledged that at the beginning of the post. I just felt the need for the practice after spending time convalescing. :)

:oops:
That's what I get for skimming.
:lol:

mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#312  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 25, 2010 3:23 am

Heh, no worries. It's taking me a bit of time to get back into the swing of things, after spending time peeing rocks.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#313  Postby Driftwood » Mar 25, 2010 5:08 am

I was a very devout Christian Minister before I became an atheist. I am far happier, far more at peace, far more liberated now, than I was as that Minister. I was the student of an angry, petty, capricious, vengeful god who said he loved everyone but his actions seemed to indicate hatred and jealousy, as if he took pleasure in pushing humanity down.

Now, that said, I hold no grudge against anyone of any faith. I just want to enjoy my life in peace without being forced to believe or worship someone else's idea of a "happy" religion.

Sincerely,
Avidan
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!" - Homer Simpson
Driftwood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#314  Postby josephchoi » Mar 25, 2010 5:21 am

on a bit of a tangent, is it just me or does it almost seem like "god" is a character written by a bunch of shitty writers who vented their anger through writing? "fuck those Philistines fucked us... well MY GOD FUCKED YOU BACK!"
Donuts don't wear alligator shoes!
josephchoi

Male

Print view this post

#315  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 25, 2010 5:34 am

josephchoi wrote:on a bit of a tangent, is it just me or does it almost seem like "god" is a character written by a bunch of shitty writers who vented their anger through writing? "fuck those Philistines fucked us... well MY GOD FUCKED YOU BACK!"

Indeed, the original authors of this mythology never once mentioned any of a vast array of real, physical phenomena that have since been alighted upon by empirical science. The authors were incapable of even fantasising about such entities. If they really did have some hot line to their invisible magic man, why didn't they acquire vast amounts of knowledge allowing them to become all-conquering subjugators of the planet, instead of a people that were ultimately shat upon repeatedly by anyone looking for a scapegoat for their own bigotries?
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#316  Postby ADParker » Mar 25, 2010 5:54 am

This is functionally identical to:

"There is a god. No I am not going to defend it, you prove that there is not!"

You are simply asserting, without any attempt to validate your claim, that there is a god, and that it created the universe. But then denying any responsibility to back it up, instead insisting that we have to prove it wrong, or give a better answer (Yours IS NOT an explanation, it is merely an empty claim.) :naughty:

maynard wrote:
As the one lacking belief in god (the dragon), I can't think of anything that I could say about the universe which precludes the possibility that a god, or anything like a god, could be responsible for it. What I'm asking is, can you?

{Sigh} YOU are the one saying that a god created the universe. We are not accepting that. That IS NOT The same thing as claiming that it is IMPOSSIBLE ("precludes") that a magic man created the universe with his magical powers!

Do you honestly insist that we have to 'prove' that this creator being is impossible or the god-hypothesis wins by default?! Even when you recognise the flaw in this when it comes to any other ludicrous claims like "There is a dragon on my computer."

Listen: You say that a god created the universe. We say that we don't believe you. Our job is done, it's over to you now.

maynard wrote:
Yes because if you don't believe it exists, there must be something about the universe that excludes the possibility that a god or anything like a god is responsible.

NO!

First off: "I don't believe it exists" does not equal "I do believe that it does not exist."

Secondly: Not accepting a claim DOES NOT mean that there has to be some evidence that proves it impossible that it exist. For a start; it is NOT impossible that I will eat a mushroom in the next three seconds, but it's still not true that I will...and nope; I didn't.

You are conflating "I don't accept your claim as truth" with "It's impossible."

In fact we have already said that YES it is at least Possible that this god thingy exists. It is also possible that there is a dragon on his computer, one in my garage, and that there are unicorns and dragons, and that the universe was created last Thrursday (with all memories etc. built in.)
"Possible" doesn't get you very far at all.

Here's a simple scale of probability:
Impossible
Possible
Plausible
Probable
Definite/Certain.

Note how "possible" is anything above impossible, this includes the insanely implausible. A "Googleplex to one odds" is still possible.

Shrunk wrote:
maynard wrote:
Yes because if you don't believe it exists, there must be something about the universe that excludes the possibility that a god or anything like a god is responsible.

And there you have it, folks.

You are right Shrunk! Wow.

According to maynard:

Premise 1. if I don't believe it (god) exists - then there MUST be something that excludes the possibility (makes it impossible) that this god exists.
Premise 2. I don't believe god exists.
Therefore
Conclusion: There is something that excludes the possibility that this god exists. In other words; therefore this god DOES NOT EXIST, in fact it's IMPOSSIBLE that it could! :lol:

A pity that it's crap though, or maynard would have just disproved the god hypothesis. Oh well. :dunno:
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Name: Andrew
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#317  Postby ADParker » Mar 25, 2010 6:19 am

maynard wrote:@Tytalus

I know. There's nothing about the universe, to a believer or a lacker of belief, that indicates any specific alternative to a god creator.

Setting up the argument from ignorance logical fallacy. Got it.

maynard wrote:As a believer, I want to believe that there's a god, and seeing as there's nothing that would deny the possibility, the only thing that determines whether or not I believe is my desire to believe.

And finishing it off with the Appeal to Consequences logical fallacy. In this instance choosing to believe a truth-claim for no reason but that it pleases you to believe it. Indicating that you value satisfying your desires over the truth.

maynard wrote:Likewise, a lacker of belief is in the same situation. They want to lack belief in god, and seeing as they see nothing to indicate either way, the only thing that determines whether or not they believe is their reluctance or non desire to do so.

That's just insulting. Telling us our reasons for our opinions! :naughty:
Many an atheist has desired and often actually believed, but despite their desires to hold onto that belief, they found that they could not get past the complete and utter lack of reasons to do so. And they found that they actually valued the truth and reason and understanding reality as it is, over their own selfish (delusional) desires.

When I (for instance) stopped believing in the god that I was raised (indoctrinated) to believe in, I very much still wanted to believe in him. BUT I actually cared about what is true, and rational to accept as true. Sadly I could not find any reason to think that "god" qualified. So, in spite of , and direct conflict with, my own desires, I let the delusion go.

I don't believe because I have seen no reason to do so. Without that reason such a belief would be irrational.
You may not care about that (that your beliefs may well be irrational delusions) but I do.

maynard wrote:I have faith in a universe that has a god, you have faith in a universe that has no god.

Bullshit.
Faith is belief through the (wilful) abandonment of reason.

maynard wrote:If you have evidence for god, it's because you've acknowledged whatever it is as possibly being evidence, then considered and evaluated it for yourself, then accepted it as evidence for yourself. It all comes down to what you want to acknowledge, consider and evaluate, and accept. And that's based on your faith.

Oh brother! :roll:

YOU might assess truth-claims based on what you WANT to acknowledge etc. But some of us ACTUALLY value reason, and care about the truth (the actual truth, not the inane theistic imaginary TruthTM) and try our very best to assess ALL information and data observed, and let it lead wherever it goes. It is this that allows me to accept things as true even if I would like it otherwise.

maynard wrote:And seeing as what is accepted is down to the individual, it is the individual's bias that determines what they themselves accept.

And SOME of us recognise that, and endeavour to minimise that as much as humanly possible. It is also what the scientific method (peer review etc.) is all about. You on the other hand appear to EMBRACE your biases!

maynard wrote:We've established that there's no indication of a universe that can't have a god, so all that's left is faith, one way or the other.

:nono:

How exactly is "I don't know, but YOUR claim is lacking in any merit, so I ain't buy that one, sorry." a matter of Faith?! :nono:
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#318  Postby ADParker » Mar 25, 2010 6:32 am

maynard wrote:
It is bias and faith. You're a skeptic, you're predisposed, inclined, to doubt the existence of god.

Scepticism is a questioning nature, it is NOT just taking any old claim/assertion on 'Faith.' It is choosing to actually rationally assess truth-claims before accepting or rejecting them outright.

A sceptic, a rational human being, IS inclined to doubt EVERYTHING! Doubt is a good thing, it is the very thing to allow one to reassess ones own beliefs/opinions, and correct/revise/update them as appropriate.

maynard wrote:Does that sound like objectivity,

Yes. Yes it does.

maynard wrote:or does it say more about you than it does about the existence of a god?

It does indeed, and it's all good! :grin:

I WAS going to continue with your subsequent posts, but there is no point, this has slipped into lala land, you are just spouting nonsense now.
maynard wrote: It certainly doesn't indicate a universe that has no god, we've established that.

No; You were going on about "precluding" the very possibility of your imaginary friend.

maynard wrote:All that's left is your skepticism.

Yay Scepticism!

maynard wrote:I'm faithful, you're skeptical.

Yay us then.

Scepticism = critical thinking, a questioning attitude, and openness to learning new things and correcting misconceptions, of improving ones understanding, and never resorting to dogmatic assumption.

Faith = believing things through the (wilful) abandonment of reason. It's believing shit even when it is completey irrational to do so.

And you are proud of this?! :what:

maynard wrote:My faith and your skepticism are both sides of the same coin of assumption.

Only if it's Heads I assume, Tails I do not, it is.

maynard wrote:I go out of my way to assume that there's a god.

And that doesn't strike you as at least a little bit insane? (try placing almost anything else in there other than "god" - how about "the non-existence of gravity.")

maynard wrote:However, rather than merely witholding belief (which I can do also) , you're going out of your way to assume there isn't a god.

Don't you even listen?

I don't bloody assume there isn't a god, I reject the value of the claims and (piss poor) arguments) that there is one. This is no different than the reasons I also reject astrology and the existence of fairies. No freakin' assumptions required.

Oh you were banned. Good riddance.
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#319  Postby jim » Mar 25, 2010 6:47 am

ADParker wrote:

I was going to mention this a few posts back but you seemed to be having so much fun, sorry. :smoke:
Father Dougal:
Come on, Ted. Sure it's no more peculiar than all that stuff we learned in the seminary, you know, Heaven and Hell and everlasting life and all that type of thing. You're not meant to take it seriously, Ted!
jim

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#320  Postby ADParker » Mar 25, 2010 7:00 am

jim wrote:
ADParker wrote:

I was going to mention this a few posts back but you seemed to be having so much fun, sorry. :smoke:

Good thing I very rarely do it for (just) their benefit, eh? :lol:
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism