Another Week another FtB Witch Hunt

(Snagged two this time!)

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Another Week another FtB Witch Hunt

#61  Postby Scarlett » Aug 28, 2013 8:38 am

Emmeline wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
Can a person not be emphatic towards others, help those that need help, fight for good and just causes, treat everyone as an equal regardless of their race, sex, colour etc, be a champion of fair justice for all etc. etc. without wearing a feminist banner?

Yes indeed and I have found that as much progress in equality has been made in the UK in my lifetime, the use of the word feminist has become less important to me here. However, it's a word I don't shy away from entirely because there are still people (mainly elderly or religious) who strongly believe that women shouldn't have a career if they have a family, that men should have preferential promotion & higher pay, that men are the head of the family etc. When I meet attitudes like that, I have no difficulty using the word feminist in describing why I don't share their values.

But to balance that, while I agree that the attitudes you describe are there, I wouldn't be keen on being the male in that scenario either. These same people will believe men must be strong, are cissies if they cry, must work their bollocks off to feed their families, must put their own lives at risk to protect the 'weaker' humans, must give up custody of their children to the mothers who are after all best placed to be the carer etc.

Edit to add "etc" ;)
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#62  Postby OlivierK » Aug 28, 2013 8:45 am

Yep, there's plenty in feminism for both men and women - moving towards a society where people don't dictate other's choices on gender lines is a real win-win.

Some people get hung up on the label "feminism". Of those, some have good reasons to use other terms, and some seem butthurt if they subscribe to that win-win philosophy that people will call them a girly name :dunno:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Scarlett » Aug 28, 2013 8:57 am

I'm just not keen on labels. I'm not any more outraged about women's issues than I am about men's issues, or gay people's or disabled people's, or black people's, or transsexuals.

I am uncomfortable with how 'feminism' (and MR but that's not the topic) manifests it's self, even the 'moderates' can make me cringe. I don't relate to much of what they tell me I should relate to, I don't feel affinity with a person purely based on genitalia.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Emmeline » Aug 28, 2013 8:59 am

Scarlett wrote:
Emmeline wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
Can a person not be emphatic towards others, help those that need help, fight for good and just causes, treat everyone as an equal regardless of their race, sex, colour etc, be a champion of fair justice for all etc. etc. without wearing a feminist banner?

Yes indeed and I have found that as much progress in equality has been made in the UK in my lifetime, the use of the word feminist has become less important to me here. However, it's a word I don't shy away from entirely because there are still people (mainly elderly or religious) who strongly believe that women shouldn't have a career if they have a family, that men should have preferential promotion & higher pay, that men are the head of the family etc. When I meet attitudes like that, I have no difficulty using the word feminist in describing why I don't share their values.

But to balance that, while I agree that the attitudes you describe are there, I wouldn't be keen on being the male in that scenario either. These same people will believe men must be strong, are cissies if they cry, must work their bollocks off to feed their families, must put their own lives at risk to protect the 'weaker' humans, must give up custody of their children to the mothers who are after all best placed to be the carer etc.

I completely agree & it's often argued that feminism has been beneficial to men in lots of ways.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#65  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 28, 2013 9:03 am

Scarlett wrote:I'm just not keen on labels. I'm not any more outraged about women's issues than I am about men's issues, or gay people's or disabled people's, or black people's, or transsexuals.

I am uncomfortable with how 'feminism' (and MR but that's not the topic) manifests it's self, even the 'moderates' can make me cringe. I don't relate to much of what they tell me I should relate to, I don't feel affinity with a person purely based on genitalia.

I agree with this in so many ways.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Scarlett » Aug 28, 2013 9:09 am

Emmeline wrote:
Scarlett wrote:
Emmeline wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:

I completely agree & it's often argued that feminism has been beneficial to men in lots of ways.

Then why call it feminism?
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Scar » Aug 28, 2013 9:10 am

Scarlett wrote:I'm just not keen on labels. I'm not any more outraged about women's issues than I am about men's issues, or gay people's or disabled people's, or black people's, or transsexuals.

Same with me. I also really lack the mind set for labels and stereotypes. To my mind we're all human and I often fail to even emphasize with how people make arbitrary distinctions. It's all so foreign to me.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#68  Postby Emmeline » Aug 28, 2013 9:31 am

Scarlett wrote:
Then why call it feminism?

I can't speak for others but for me I suppose it's something I became accustomed to when arguing against people & policies that were about curtailing my life purely based upon my gender. As I said, the word is less important to me now because we've made so much progress in attaining equality for many groups of people who were previously discriminated against. It's a word that I tend to use when the specific focus of an issue is about women/girls but it doesn't mean I support everyone else who might describe themselves as a feminist because there is no universal agreement about what it is.

I don't mind labels if they are self-imposed & people have opportunities to define what that label means to them personally.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#69  Postby OlivierK » Aug 28, 2013 9:38 am

It's a historical hangover. Plenty of words have some history in their etymology, but for some reason people seem particularly keen on erasing that history from the word "feminism".

Some of the people who are most put out by it are people who deserve to be made uncomfortable, so I'm good with keeping it for that reason alone :lol:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Regina » Aug 28, 2013 10:05 am

surreptitious57 wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
Can a person not be emphatic towards others, help those that need help, fight for
good and just causes, treat everyone as an equal regardless of their race, sex, colour
etc, be a champion of fair justice for all etc. etc. without wearing a feminist banner?

Well that person would by default be a feminist anyway. Though
how they chose to label themselves would be entirely arbitrary

No. Unless, as I said before, your point of reference are people's genitals.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#71  Postby DaveDodo007 » Aug 28, 2013 11:41 pm

What adult attaches a label to themselves as it is beyond pathetic. Can anybody have their whole world experience and beliefs summed up in one or a few words. How simplistic must your world view be to be able to do that. Think how complex and complicated your interactions are with the world at large is. Think how nounce your inter species reactions are, your human relationships are going to be stellar, can you really pigeon hole them into a box. It is very sad that people limit themselves in such a way, curtailing your imagination rather than embracing it, looks like crabs in a bucket to me.
As long as your ideology identifies the main source of the world's ills as a definable group, it opens the world up to genocide. -Steven Pinker.
DaveDodo007
Banned Troll

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Lowpro » Aug 29, 2013 12:46 am

DaveDodo007 wrote:What adult attaches a label to themselves as it is beyond pathetic. Can anybody have their whole world experience and beliefs summed up in one or a few words. How simplistic must your world view be to be able to do that. Think how complex and complicated your interactions are with the world at large is. Think how nounce your inter species reactions are, your human relationships are going to be stellar, can you really pigeon hole them into a box. It is very sad that people limit themselves in such a way, curtailing your imagination rather than embracing it, looks like crabs in a bucket to me.

Communication majors collectively facepalm =\
Lowpro

United States (us)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Boyle » Aug 29, 2013 1:09 am

Scarlett wrote:Then why call it feminism?

Inertia. Unfortunately, I do know many young men (college age) that aren't too keen on using the term feminist as a way to describe their stance on gender relations. The connection, for them, to radical feminists of the balls-chopping-off variety is too strong. It also smacks of exclusion.

I still enjoy using the term, though, as it often sets the stage for a discussion, as I am don't fit the mold of a feminist.

DaveDodo007 wrote:What adult attaches a label to themselves as it is beyond pathetic. Can anybody have their whole world experience and beliefs summed up in one or a few words. How simplistic must your world view be to be able to do that. Think how complex and complicated your interactions are with the world at large is. Think how nounce your inter species reactions are, your human relationships are going to be stellar, can you really pigeon hole them into a box. It is very sad that people limit themselves in such a way, curtailing your imagination rather than embracing it, looks like crabs in a bucket to me.

Who said that labels must be so paralyzing as that? You clearly recognize the issue that strict labels bring, so why should you be held to those narrow definitions? You can use labels and recognize that they aren't the end-all, be-all of defining yourself, or others. Labels are a quick way to distill one's preferences and don't have to be so rigid as to trap a person within those preferences.
Boyle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby DaveDodo007 » Aug 29, 2013 1:23 am

Lowpro wrote:

Wut?
As long as your ideology identifies the main source of the world's ills as a definable group, it opens the world up to genocide. -Steven Pinker.
DaveDodo007
Banned Troll

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#75  Postby DaveDodo007 » Aug 29, 2013 1:50 am

Boyle wrote:
Scarlett wrote:Then why call it feminism?

Inertia. Unfortunately, I do know many young men (college age) that aren't too keen on using the term feminist as a way to describe their stance on gender relations. The connection, for them, to radical feminists of the balls-chopping-off variety is too strong. It also smacks of exclusion.

I still enjoy using the term, though, as it often sets the stage for a discussion, as I am don't fit the mold of a feminist.

Who said that labels must be so paralyzing as that? You clearly recognize the issue that strict labels bring, so why should you be held to those narrow definitions? You can use labels and recognize that they aren't the end-all, be-all of defining yourself, or others. Labels are a quick way to distill one's preferences and don't have to be so rigid as to trap a person within those preferences.

Erm... You seem to have no concept of what labels are, so enjoy your bucket.
DaveDodo007
Banned Troll

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#76  Postby Boyle » Aug 29, 2013 2:21 am

DaveDodo007 wrote:Erm... You seem to have no concept of what labels are, so enjoy your bucket.

No? Alright then. Could you help me out here, then?
Boyle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#77  Postby OlivierK » Aug 29, 2013 2:24 am

Lowpro wrote:

Not just communication majors, I assure you.

Dave, to make it clear, this: "Can anybody have their whole world experience and beliefs summed up in one or a few words." is ridiculous strawman. But you gave it a good whack, and maybe even burned it for good measure. Given that nobody holds the position you attacked, I hope it was fun for you. Laughing at the epic fail was fun for me :thumbup:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#78  Postby orpheus » Aug 29, 2013 4:55 am

I've been busy for the past few days, and just now was catching up on all teh dramaz reported on the first page. Coinidentally, I also came across a picture that perfectly captures my reaction:

“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Scarlett » Aug 29, 2013 8:57 am

Regina wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
Can a person not be emphatic towards others, help those that need help, fight for
good and just causes, treat everyone as an equal regardless of their race, sex, colour
etc, be a champion of fair justice for all etc. etc. without wearing a feminist banner?

Well that person would by default be a feminist anyway. Though
how they chose to label themselves would be entirely arbitrary

No. Unless, as I said before, your point of reference are people's genitals.

:this:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Fallible » Aug 29, 2013 9:53 am

You might have a point if a person used only one label to describe themselves. I doubt this happens, because as you rightly say one's interactions and reactions are complex and manifold. Labels can be tools, not buckets, when used properly.They help us to understand where others come from on specific issues, and allow us to communicate simply what some of our ideas are to others. Of course they're often not used properly and are turned into boxes into which we force people when we feel threatened by them or don't understand them. That's why I'm not a great one for using labels, but I still understand their purpose.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism