Atheism is a paradigm apparently

Who knew?

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Atheism is a paradigm apparently

#1  Postby BlackBart » Jul 24, 2013 8:21 am

From Michael66's welcome thread....

Calilasseia wrote:
Michael66 wrote:Thanks for your very detailed reply Calilasseia.

It's a habit I consider worth keeping.

Michael66 wrote:I'd like to pick up one thing at a time.

Good. Separation of variables is the first step in any proper analysis.

Michael66 wrote:So let's start at the beginning. You say at the start that an atheist doesn't believe in any supernatural claims that aren't rigorously supported.

Actually, I go further than this. Namely, I contend that an atheist who treats the matter with rigour, dispenses with belief itself, because belief, as practised by supernaturalists, consists of nothing more than uncritical acceptance of unsupported assertions. This, of course, arises as a natural corollary of treating mere assertions with suspicion.

Michael66 wrote:Would you say that further you don't believe in anything that isn't rigorously supported by a scientific test.

Taking my cue from the above, I dispense with belief altogether. If an assertion is bereft of evidential support, I regard it as being discardable in the same casual manner in which it was erected.

However, at this juncture, it is important to note that I regard empirical test as being appropriate for assertions that make claims about observational reality. Assertions that make claims about abstract realms require a different approach. See for example, pure mathematics.

Michael66 wrote:Or do you make the supernatural a special case?

No. Since numerous supernaturalist assertions purport to dictate what we should observe in the real world, I regard assertions falling into this class as amenable to empirical test. When that empirical test says those assertions are plain, flat, wrong, those assertions are discarded. In the case of untestable supernaturalist assertions, these are worthless anyway.

Michael66 wrote:What I'm trying to get at (so there is no hidden agenda) is whether you treat all claims equally or whether your paradigm is introducing a bias into the level of evidence you require.

How tiresomely predictable of you to post this. A familiar supernaturalist approach seen all too often before, namely to suggest that entirely proper discoursive suspicion of their assertions has a malign origin, taking either the specious erection of "bias" accusations you are using, or the simply fatuous "you hate god" apologetics we've seen in the past from other quarters.

Michael66 wrote:My suggestion is that people need stronger evidence to overturn their own paradigm.

Once again, your tiresome erection of the "atheism is a paradigm" assertion fails. Do learn this elementary lesson, namely that not treating blind assertions as fact, is one of the foundational aspects of proper discourse.

Michael66 wrote:If you read through your post I think you may see evidence for that hypothesis.

Oh please, do tell us all about this. I for one am Very ExcitedTM about this. Once again, do tell us all how not treating unsupported assertions as fact is a "paradigm".

Michael66 wrote:Or to put it another way - is everything you believe in sufficiently that you make life decisions supportable and supported, in your mind, by rigorous external evidence and testing?

Oh look, it's that other familiar supernaturalist apologetics, the attempt to re-cast the thoughts of others as "belief". Yawn. Do learn the difference between belief, namely treating unsupported assertions as fact, and inference from insufficient data, which is the process underlying most of our everyday decisions. Of course, the mere fact that there exists some data upon which to make said inference, at a stroke removes this from "belief". As far as everyday decisions are concerned, I usually apply somewhat less effort than I do to substantive decisions, but then that's because I'm a human being. I don't need to resort to quantificational calculus to decide if I want an ice cream on a hot day. Trying to suggest that my not applying the full hammer blow of academic research to such questions as "do I want an ice cream on a hot day?" as I would to questions such as "what is the origin of life?", somehow invalidates my applying due diligence to the latter, is another tiresomely familiar supernaturalist canard.

Michael66 wrote:One final question on that same theme. Does your own experience ever form part of the 'data' you use to decide what you do or don't believe in - or do you only accept non-personal data?

Ah, another attempt to spring an entirely familiar supernaturalist trap. By definition, one has to gather data in order to have material from which to draw inferences. However, I'm aware of the fact that reliably repeatable observations form a more robust basis for said inference. As a corollary, when it comes to important questions, I seek reliably repeatable observations, ideally, observations that can be made by anyone else, regardless of their presuppositions on the matter.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Atheism is a paradigm apparently

#2  Postby chairman bill » Jul 24, 2013 8:32 am

Well, my response, in that same thread, was this

chairman bill wrote:Paradigm, as I understand it, refers to our concepts & thought patterns & how we see the world. I'm happy to extend the term to refer to more than Kuhn's more narrow definition, but even so, I fail to see how atheism constitutes a paradigm. If it does, then so does absence of belief in the Tooth Fairy. We're then left with theists & atheists who lack belief in the Tooth Fairy (as well as those who do believe), but in this case, the absence of belief does not alone constitute a paradigm, because one group believe in god(s) & the other doesn't. So we now have four distinct 'paradigms' (by your logic), namely those theists who believe in the Tooth Fairy, theists who lack belief in the Tooth Fairy, atheists who believe in the Tooth Fairy & atheists who lack belief in the Tooth Fairy. Of course, we then have those theists who are agnostic, and those who are gnostic, as well as equivalent atheists & Tooth Fairy-ists & a-Tooth Fairy-ists. So the paradigms start growing even more. And so it goes, with us ending up with every individual having their own distinct paradigm.

I think you need to either go the whole way with this, or accept that your use of the term is inappropriate in this instance.

May you be blessed by the Invisible Pink Unicorn's (bbhhh) Holy Hooves

The point is that lack of belief in one thing (or class of things - deities) no more makes a paradigm than does lack of belief in another thing (or class of things). And if we're going to say that lack of belief in one makes a paradigm, then it must apply to all things, and we have a multiplicity of paradigms - one per person, in fact.

If the argument is that deities are a special category, we're into special pleading territory, and we don't want to go there, do we?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Briton » Jul 24, 2013 8:38 am

I don't believe in gods, fairies, astrology, homoeopathy, alien visitations, feng wotsit, ley lines, bigfoot, etc. etc. Surely it's scepticism that is the paradigm?
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby trubble76 » Jul 24, 2013 8:45 am

MY reply to a post in that thread;

Michael66 wrote:
trubble76 wrote:
Michael66 wrote:
trubble76 wrote:If you find your work progresses better when you assume the non-interaction of a deity, why does the same not apply to your non-work life?

I don't assume a non-interaction of a deity - it's simply out of scope.

I'm afraid I cannot tell the difference here, could you explain?

Sure,

Let's revisit our old friend the gravitational constant, G.

I want to do an experiment to find out the force of gravity on Earth and in a space craft in low orbit.

I'm lucky enough that some clever chaps who were around before me worked out the relationship between the interval of a pendulum swing and the force of gravity at that spot. It's t=4pie [sqrt[[l/g]].

So I take my pendulum and I measure the length of it (l). I then time 10 intervals (1 interval = 1 swing in both directions) and so I work out my interval t (I might repeat this a few times and take the mean, and perhaps the standard deviation if I'm interested in exploring potential error).

I then re-arrange my equation a little so that I can work out g (the force of gravity at the point of the pendulum) so that g = l / (sqr( t /4pie). Try it - I was amazed how close you can get. We were doing an experiment on the relationship of pendulum swing time to pendulum length as a demo for primary school children. I took their data and calculated the force of gravity on Earth to within 1% of the real value).

I then get on a prototype of Richard Branson's earth orbiter and repeat the experiment. My pendulum is now swinging slower, and I calculate a new force of gravity.

I write that up saying what I'd done and reporting the different force of gravity on Earth and on the Virgin orbiter.

But have you noticed I haven't talked about the universal gravitation constant, G? There's no need - it's not within the scope of my experiment. I don't need to know it, or even know there is one. We now know g depends on G, but the scope of the experiment can simply ignore G and still be a valid experiment.

I don't assume G doesn't exist. It simple is out of scope of my experiment.

In your example, (please do correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no scientist) the value of G is irrelevant because it cancels out. It doesn't matter about the truth of the value of G in this narrow section of work. Are you saying the same applies to your god? You don't care whether or not it is true because it cancels out. In your example, G cannot effect the outcome, do you also believe that your god cannot effect the outcome? I take it you believe that G does not have the power to work miracles, does the same apply to your god also? It seems to me that you are telling me you engage a process of compartmentalisation whereby you temporarily assume that your god plays no part because that way you get meaningful and repeatable results whereas were you to include the possibility of a magic being influencing the world you are examining, you get useless results that are nonsense. Rubbish in, rubbish out.
My question remains then, if you must withhold god from your professional life in order for things to work, why do you think you would not benefit from that same thing in the other areas of your life?

You keep saying the phrase "within the scope", surely you believe that your god is within the scope of everything, don't you?

Remember, the scope of what is in my experiment is what I can adjust and/or measure. Outside of those parameters I can only speculate and I'm not really doing science then.

Surely all variables are within the scope of your experiment, not just the variables you control? I would say a magical being that can alter the world at a whim is a pretty big variable. Is it E=MC2 or is it E=MC2 when your god permits it. If a being has the power to make E=MC3 at a whim, can we rely on Einstein's equation?

Why does a scientific approach not help you in parenthood, for example? You see the power of science as a tool, yet you limit your use of this tool, why is that?

I believe love is a better approach to personal parenthood. (I'm trying very hard not to be rude about the scientific status psychology here).

I don't see how approaching parenthood using love and science are mutually exclusive. Surely it would be an act of love to be the best parent possible? Science can help with that, is it loving to reject an opportunity to be a better parent? Why would you choose to abandon the rational approach as soon as you leave work?

Hope that helps a little.

Not exactly, but it is interesting. I find this sort of compartmentalisation fascinating, have you heard of Morton's Demon?
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Is atheism a paradigm?

#5  Postby Michael66 » Jul 24, 2013 9:07 am

There was a request to discuss this particular question, so here is my $0.02....

What is a paradigm?

A paradigm is usually taken as a model, or construct, of a system. It is a framework of our current understanding of reality. The term is used in both natural sciences to describe models of reality, and in social sciences to describe belief systems and worldviews – how society understands reality and therefore how society behaves.

We might otherwise look at a paradigm as the presuppositions we bring into any discussion or any examination of evidence. We rarely examine anything from a naïve perspective, but bring with us knowledge, data, theories and experiences from the past. These, in Bayesian terms, describe the ‘prior’ probabilities we assume, or presume, before examining new evidence. That new evidence may then adjust our perception so that we carry a different ‘prior’ probability into our next assessment of evidence. Bayes realised that we are rarely absolutely certain, so his ‘probability’ is not the 'chance' something might be true or not, but the ‘certainty’ which we ascribe to any proposition being true (P.S. for a lovely, and not too heavy, discussion on certainty and probability listen to BBC’s The Life Scientific with David Spiegelhalter here) . So our collection of ‘priors’ together form our over-arching paradigm - simply, it's how we see and understand reality.

Is atheism a paradigm?

I would contend ‘yes’, because the atheist carries around a certain collection of ‘priors’. Of course every atheist, like every theist, will have a unique paradigm, but what atheists share is a common view that the certainty of any God, or gods, existing is very low. Part of my paradigm, for example, is that I don’t believe in a flying spaghetti monster, so the ‘prior’ I take into any discussion is that such a creature is a man-made construct used as for rhetorical effect. What is common to atheists, as I understand it, is that they share a ‘prior’ that no god, almost certainly, exists.

I would say we all have paradigms that govern how we relate to evidence and experience, and all our paradigms are continually shaped by evidence and experience (and perhaps some ‘instinct’ or we might say ‘genetically-programmed’ ways of perceiving reality).

I’d like to make it clear that I don’t see describing atheism as a paradigm (or a key part of a larger paradigm) as a criticism. It simply reflects that we all carry around with us a mental model that affects how we each respond to new evidence, claims and experiences and there would appear, to me, to be a difference between the 'mental models', or 'constructs of reality', or 'paradigms', or ‘priors’ (pick your preferred term), of theists and atheists.

Accepting others may well disagree

Pax +

Michael
Michael66
Banned User

Name: Michael

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Is atheism a paradigm?

#6  Postby Animavore » Jul 24, 2013 9:23 am

Christians have a prior, an admitted prior, they see God's work in everything so all evidence must be viewed so that it points to the conclusion you want. That God exists, that Jesus's divinity is real and that the Bible is the word of God. The most extreme end of this being creationism where their prior is so dogmatic it cripples their intellect and ability to view evidence objectively at all.

Atheism is what you are left with when you get rid of the prior. It's a post.

Of course we've been through all this and I doubt it's going to penetrate your prior that atheism is a prior.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Michael66 » Jul 24, 2013 9:23 am

Hi all

I thought it would be clearer to have a thread with the OP actually clarifying what my position is, as it's a little hard to glean from picking one bit of discussion.

Here it is .....

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/nonth ... 40544.html

Pax +
Michael66
Banned User

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby trubble76 » Jul 24, 2013 9:27 am

It seems to me that you are simply asserting that atheists have the "priors" that you suggest.

Person A: I believe in an invisible superhero who loves us all, even the ones it kills.

Person B: I don't see any reason to believe you, I remain unconvinced.

Person A: Ah you must be prejudiced by your prior-held paradigms.

Person B: What? Just because I don't believe you?

Person A: Yes.

Does that sum it up? Everyone that doesn't share your faith is labouring under some sort of atheistic delusion?

Surely the scientist in you recognises that the burden of proof lies with the person making the claims. Yet you seem to be suggesting that the fault lies with the atheist for disbelieving the absurd assertions of theists.

Let me ask you this, imagine a group of people devoid of priors, how do you think they would react to unsupported claims about magical entities who are supposedly made out of love but rejoice in death and punishment, who care a lot about what we do with our dangly bits but are powerless to prevent suffering? Do you think they would withhold belief until some fairly solid evidence was presented or would they jump right in?

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby trubble76 » Jul 24, 2013 9:29 am

Michael66 wrote:Hi all

I thought it would be clearer to have a thread with the OP actually clarifying what my position is, as it's a little hard to glean from picking one bit of discussion.

Here it is .....

Pax +

Would you like me to move my post to that thread, or would you prefer to answer it here?

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby BlackBart » Jul 24, 2013 9:34 am

trubble76 wrote:
Michael66 wrote:Hi all

Here it is .....

Pax +

Would you like me to move my post to that thread, or would you prefer to answer it here?

I suspect a merge will occur.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Animavore » Jul 24, 2013 9:39 am

I think that's basically it, trubble.

Another example mightbe -

Person A: A man died and by a miracle came came back to life three days later.

Person B: I don't know. Sounds dubious. In my experience when people die they tend to stay that way. Are you sure he was dead? Did you see it happen?

Person A: You don't believe because you're coming from the prior that dead people don't come back to life.

Person B: No. It's not that it's just, I've no first hand experience of it or know of anyone who does...

Person A: Well that's your belief.

Person B: ? Whatever, dude. :roll:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#12  Postby chairman bill » Jul 24, 2013 9:53 am

If the lack of belief in god(s) (single category) is a paradigm, then so too is lack of belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Now, you said,
... I don’t believe in a flying spaghetti monster ...
which using the logic you present, represents a paradigm. The FSM is different from other gods, in that it is set up as a rhetorical device, not seriously posited to exist as a god, thus it is a different category from other 'gods'. Lack of belief in the FSM therefore constitutes a paradigm.

I know people who seriously belief in faeries & boggarts and the like. Clearly that would represent a different paradigm. Most of them believe in gods too, but some do not. Presumably these represent different paradigms again. Of course, some believe in trolls, others do not. So then we get a different paradigm, a multiplicity in fact. If we start ascribing the term 'paradigm' to each & every variable of belief/non-belief, we soon get to a point where each & every one of us has our own unique paradigm. What utility does the term have when it becomes nothing more than a cipher for 'an individual view of things'? Suddenly, we can no longer talk of a particular paradigm, and say that he or she somehow 'fits' within its purview.

So, let's take 'paradigm' to refer to a model of thinking. There are those of us who take a naturalistic view of things, and those who take a supernaturalist perspective. I know that Kuhn regarded the concept of paradigm as being of relevance to science (where there is broad agreement on things), and not to social sciences (as a psychologist, I'll leave aside the issue of psychology [as a branch of biology] straddling the two camps), but I think he'd forgive me for applying the term to a non-scientific perspective, because it does offer a differing take on the world. But let's be clear, one can believe in a God, and still have a scientific worldview - deists for example. So it isn't theism & atheism that represents a divide, but the propensity to ascribe supernatural (as opposed to naturalistic) explanations for things, and to see reality through the distorted* lens of supernaturalism (rather than that of naturalism).

* I say 'distorted', because a naturalistic view is something that can be tested, examined, have various instruments brought to bear on a topic, and can result in clearly agreed measurements, in a way that supernaturalist claims cannot - they are subject to the whims of an individual perspective, not a paradigm, albeit with the agreement that the supernatural does exist.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Michael66 » Jul 24, 2013 9:56 am

Animavore wrote:Atheism is what you are left with when you get rid of the prior. It's a post.

I would disagree there Animavore. I would say if you remove any prior you are left with a naive position. Most atheists, I would say, do have a prior - and that prior is that the certainty of any god existing is close to zero (if we put everything in a positive construct, where 0 is a perceived impossibility that a proposition is true and 1 is a perceived certainty that a proposition is true). A naive position would have a certainty of 0.5 - that is there is no prior evidence or knowledge to presume that any proposition is more likely to be true or not.

So, I would contend, the atheist carries this 'prior' of close to zero into any review of evidence, argument, or experience that contends a god, or gods, exists. Remember that in Bayesian thought the previous 'post' automatically becomes the new 'prior' when examining new evidence or claims.

Here I am not saying the atheist is wrong, or that they don't have a good case for saying the certainty of the existence of god(s) it is close to zero. I'm simply suggesting that they have these priors, and that shapes the model of reality (their paradigm) they take use when encountering new data, claims or experiences.

I'm a little surprised it was a contentious point.

Pax +

Michael
Michael66
Banned User

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby OlivierK » Jul 24, 2013 10:01 am

Bookmarking :coffee:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » Jul 24, 2013 10:03 am

Michael66 wrote:
Animavore wrote:Atheism is what you are left with when you get rid of the prior. It's a post.

I would disagree there Animavore. I would say if you remove any prior you are left with a naive position. Most atheists, I would say, do have a prior - and that prior is that the certainty of any god existing is close to zero [snip]

Ah! I see the problem. You think atheists think this. Or as I've said...
Animavore wrote:
Of course we've been through all this and I doubt it's going to penetrate your prior that atheism is a prior.

Come back to me when you've emptied your cup.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Fallible » Jul 24, 2013 10:04 am

trubble76 wrote:It seems to me that you are simply asserting that atheists have the "priors" that you suggest.

Person A: I believe in an invisible superhero who loves us all, even the ones it kills.

Person B: I don't see any reason to believe you, I remain unconvinced.

Person A: Ah you must be prejudiced by your prior-held paradigms.

Person B: What? Just because I don't believe you?

Person A: Yes.

Does that sum it up? Everyone that doesn't share your faith is labouring under some sort of atheistic delusion?

Surely the scientist in you recognises that the burden of proof lies with the person making the claims. Yet you seem to be suggesting that the fault lies with the atheist for disbelieving the absurd assertions of theists.

Let me ask you this, imagine a group of people devoid of priors, how do you think they would react to unsupported claims about magical entities who are supposedly made out of love but rejoice in death and punishment, who care a lot about what we do with our dangly bits but are powerless to prevent suffering? Do you think they would withhold belief until some fairly solid evidence was presented or would they jump right in?

Exactly. I made a similar comment to Michael in his initial thread (to which he didn't reply), concerning his ''sense of the numinous''. The fact that he said he had ''always'' had a sense of the numinous points to him always having had that concept of a god who touches people in special ways, even when he was an ''atheist''. I said to him that if he had never heard of any god, he wouldn't attribute those feelings to it either, just as we don't. Of course it should also probably be noted that Michael yet again trots out the same old definition of ''atheist'' as someone who believes a god does not exist, although he doesn't use that exact terminology.

Edit: during the time it took for me to type this, Michael again came out with a definition of atheism that doesn't stack up. Perhaps that's where we should start...again...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby trubble76 » Jul 24, 2013 10:07 am

Michael66 wrote:

I would disagree there Animavore. I would say if you remove any prior you are left with a naive position. Most atheists, I would say, do have a prior - and that prior is that the certainty of any god existing is close to zero (if we put everything in a positive construct, where 0 is a perceived impossibility that a proposition is true and 1 is a perceived certainty that a proposition is true). A naive position would have a certainty of 0.5 - that is there is no prior evidence or knowledge to presume that any proposition is more likely to be true or not.

So, I would contend, the atheist carries this 'prior' of close to zero into any review of evidence, argument, or experience that contends a god, or gods, exists. Remember that in Bayesian thought the previous 'post' automatically becomes the new 'prior' when examining new evidence or claims.

Here I am not saying the atheist is wrong, or that they don't have a good case for saying the certainty of the existence of god(s) it is close to zero. I'm simply suggesting that they have these priors, and that shapes the model of reality (their paradigm) they take use when encountering new data, claims or experiences.

I'm a little surprised it was a contentious point.

Pax +

Michael

You seem to be saying that atheists had prejudged the question of deity existence. I think most of us are saying that we didn't prejudge deities as not likely existing, we judged deities as not likely existing. Your version suggests a decision was made on faith before the facts and arguments were laid out, I would object to that.

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Michael66 » Jul 24, 2013 10:12 am

People may disagree with Richard Dawkins, but here is an article he wrote on "Why There Almost Certainly Is No God".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-d ... 32164.html

So, in this thread and I am using a working definition as someone who takes RD's position of "There Almost Certainly Is No God" (e.g. adopting a Bayesian prior of close to zero when examining new evidence for a claim "God exists"). Their model of reality, their paradigm, is one that starts from that premise of RD's.

Accepting some people may not apply that definition of an atheist to themselves.

Pax +
Michael66
Banned User

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby chairman bill » Jul 24, 2013 10:16 am

Michael66 wrote:... I would say if you remove any prior you are left with a naive position. Most atheists, I would say, do have a prior - and that prior is that the certainty of any god existing is close to zero (if we put everything in a positive construct, where 0 is a perceived impossibility that a proposition is true and 1 is a perceived certainty that a proposition is true).
I disagree. Atheism is simply the absence of belief in god(s), nothing more. It makes no claims as to the existence or not of such beings, simply that the atheist lacks a belief in them. That's it. Reasons for the lack of belief may vary, but I think it is probably fair to say that the absence of evidence will usually contribute to this lack of belief.

The issue of whether one can make a claim to know, is a matter of gnosticism, or agnosticism, but that is a different category.

I am absolute in my atheism - it is a binary position, you either believe or you don't, and I don't.

So far as claims to knowledge are concerned, I would argue that a god is either beyond knowledge, or it isn't. If it is, then by definition, no one knows. I cannot argue against such a god, because I cannot know whether or not such a being (or indeed, beings) does exist or not. The issue then is one of, why posit the existence of something we cannot possibly know about?

That leaves us with a claim that if there is god(s), it/they are indeed knowable. If this is the case, then there should be evidence for such things, and if there's evidence, let's see it.

In the continued absence of any such evidence, I can make no claim to know, and so see no reason to alter my position regarding belief in this category of beings.

This is not a naive position (though clearly any being without thought of god(s), is naively atheist, where naive refers solely to the state of being uniformed), but neither is it a prior position, it is one arrived at following consideration of the matter.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Animavore » Jul 24, 2013 10:23 am

Michael66 wrote:People may disagree with Richard Dawkins, but here is an article he wrote on "Why There Almost Certainly Is No God".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-d ... 32164.html

So, in this thread and I am using a working definition as someone who takes RD's position of "There Almost Certainly Is No God" (e.g. adopting a Bayesian prior of close to zero when examining new evidence for a claim "God exists"). Their model of reality, their paradigm, is one that starts from that premise of RD's.

Accepting some people may not apply that definition of an atheist to themselves.

Pax +

I missed the memo which said Dawkins speaks dogmatically for atheists as a whole rather than just being an atheist guy with a view one could readily agree or disagree with.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Nontheism