Atheists = Creationists ?

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Atheists = Creationists ?

#121  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 1:33 am

ADParker wrote:
Armageddo wrote:Put a sock in in hackenslash.

HEY! No need for that now! :naughty:

Armageddo wrote:You've been shown to be utterly wrong :dance: In Dawkins' own words, he is attacking gods, all gods.

Ah, the power of the quote mine eh? :nono:

But fine, let's look at that then. Just let me find my copy then...ah here we go {ahem...needs a bit of a dust}
Final paragraph of "Polytheism" section of chapter two:

"...I know you don't believe in an old bearded man sitting on a cloud, so let's not waste any more time on that. I am not attacking any particular version of God or gods. I am attacking God, all gods, anything and everything supernatural, wherever and whenever they have been or will be invented."

So:
a. Yes he misspoke. As elsewhere he specifies that he is referring to a limited subset; the "personal god."
b. But; this is not a comment without context. It is in direct contrast to specific god beliefs (his example the bearded man in the sky), in order to stipulate that the target of his arguments is broader than that. To counter the expected accusations that his arguments were not about "My god."

Taken in the full context of the book (i.e. not just fixating on single quote-mined passage, or the title!) It is evident that he is arguing against the belief in the existence of supernatural entities, that can be denoted as "personal gods"; entities that interact with the world, and humans in some fashion. Not anything and everything that one might wish to refer to as a god (Not Einstein and Spinoza's god for example.) and likewise from the other direction; not merely one very narrow specific concept of a god (not only the bearded man n the clouds for example.) But instead a generalized idea of "God" within those two extremes.

Armageddo wrote:And for a book called the GOD delusion, he has barely even touched the subject, instead opting for the tired old avoidance tactic of equating religion with god (strawman argument).

Still waiting for any substantiation of this thus far EMPTY assertion.

Armageddo wrote:I've got news for you mate, God is not a religion,

Well duh.

Armageddo wrote:and Dawkins' book is called the GOD delusion, not the religion delusion.

And isn't it interesting how you can't even grasp the meaning for such a simple little title? :think:

God (...Zeus, Allah, Shiva...) is the object, religion is the belief in that object.
Truth/fact this object exiting or not, delusion is the unfounded belief in the existence of said object.

Armageddo wrote:Tell me, what on earth did you think a book called the GOD delusion was going to be about?

How BELIEVING in a god is delusional. NOT that this god does not exist.

Armageddo wrote:As if it were not obvious, my point is that hackenslash seems to read book covers and replace the word God with Religion.

Unlike you, he probably doesn't try to read JUST the title, at least not trying to read the entirety of the argument into the title. :roll:
Armageddo wrote:The god delusion barely even attempts to achieve what it sets out to do, which is to debunk God, which is a copout.

See now, here is a fine example of a Straw Man argument: You assert that the aim of the book is to "debunk God", then that it failed to meet up to the aim YOU devised, and thus claim victory.
The apparent aim however was to expose some of the flawed thinking in god-belief. How such beliefs are fallacious. The one chapter actually about the existence of God, set out to argue just as it's title suggested; that there PROBABLY is no such being.

Armageddo wrote:Are you seriously telling me that a book with such a title would be about anything other than God?

No, of course not. :roll:
But the very word "Delusion" implies that it is more about god BELIEF than God itself.

Incorrect.

Religious people believe in God, non religious people can also believe in God. Please do look up the definition of religion. Dawkins has created a strawman and you've fallen for it without even bothering to apply any thought process. He is equating God with Religion, calls his book the God delusion then does next to nothing to actually refute God, choosing instead to deal with Religion. They are not the same thing. And it's not by error, he has deliberately called the book the GOD delusion, he knows what he's doing. I feel sorry for you for having fallen for it although on the other hand I get the feeling you know that it's a strawman tactic.
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#122  Postby ADParker » Mar 23, 2010 1:54 am

Armageddo wrote:
Incorrect.

What isn't correct? Why quote my entire post?

Armageddo wrote:Religious people believe in God,

Only some of them. "God" is a Christian term, now adopted in limited circumstances by the other Abrahamic adherents.

Armageddo wrote:non religious people can also believe in God. Please do look up the definition of religion.

Any one in particular?

Wikipedia wrote:
A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

So; people who don't believe in a "supernatural agency" creator, can also believe in God? I guess, just so long as you are not using "God" in the sense Dawkins used in TGD.

Merriam_Webster wrote:
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
Dictionary.com wrote:
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
religions, Archaic. religious rites.
Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.

But what's your point? TGD was about God-belief, a certain subset of religion, not any and all kinds of religion. :roll:

Armageddo wrote:Dawkins has created a strawman and you've fallen for it without even bothering to apply any thought process. He is equating God with Religion, calls his book the God delusion then does next to nothing to actually refute God, choosing instead to deal with Religion.

{Sigh} He deals with the belief in a god ( a personal god.) This being what the book is dealing with, one must take it that it is this that you mean by "religion" in this context. If so; then yes he was dealing with "religion", and arguing that this religion (this having a belief in a personal god) is delusional. Good for him; he did PRECISELY as the book's title implied (how successfully/fully he did so is another issue.)

Armageddo wrote:They are not the same thing. And it's not by error, he has deliberately called the book the GOD delusion, he knows what he's doing.

It is you that is erroneously asserting that in naming the book "The God Delusion" means that he has to, and intended to, then argue that this "God" being does not exist. This suggests that you do not understand what "delusion" actually means.

Armageddo wrote:I feel sorry for you for having fallen for it although on the other hand I get the feeling you know that it's a straw man tactic.

I don't care how "sorry" you are. You are mistaken. I also suspect that you have problems grasping what a Straw Man argument is as well.
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Name: Andrew
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#123  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 1:56 am

ADParker wrote:
Armageddo wrote:
Incorrect.

What isn't correct? Why quote my entire post?

Armageddo wrote:Religious people believe in God,

Only some of them. "God" is a Christian term, now adopted in limited circumstances by the other Abrahamic adherents.

Armageddo wrote:non religious people can also believe in God. Please do look up the definition of religion.

Any one in particular?

Wikipedia wrote:
A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

So; people who don't believe in a "supernatural agency" creator, can also believe in God? I guess, just so long as you are not using "God" in the sense Dawkins used in TGD.

Merriam_Webster wrote:
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
Dictionary.com wrote:
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
religions, Archaic. religious rites.
Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.

But what's your point? TGD was about God-belief, a certain subset of religion, not any and all kinds of religion. :roll:

Armageddo wrote:Dawkins has created a strawman and you've fallen for it without even bothering to apply any thought process. He is equating God with Religion, calls his book the God delusion then does next to nothing to actually refute God, choosing instead to deal with Religion.

{Sigh} He deals with the belief in a god ( a personal god.) This being what the book is dealing with, one must take it that it is this that you mean by "religion" in this context. If so; then yes he was dealing with "religion", and arguing that this religion (this having a belief in a personal god) is delusional. Good for him; he did PRECISELY as the book's title implied (how successfully/fully he did so is another issue.)

Armageddo wrote:They are not the same thing. And it's not by error, he has deliberately called the book the GOD delusion, he knows what he's doing.

It is you that is erroneously asserting that in naming the book "The God Delusion" means that he has to, and intended to, then argue that this "God" being does not exist. This suggests that you do not understand what "delusion" actually means.

Armageddo wrote:I feel sorry for you for having fallen for it although on the other hand I get the feeling you know that it's a straw man tactic.

I don't care how "sorry" you are. You are mistaken. I also suspect that you have problems grasping what a Straw Man argument is as well.

God is a christian term, is it now? :drunk: Really?
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#124  Postby MrFungus420 » Mar 23, 2010 1:56 am

Rumraket wrote:Yeah and what's worse... when they have "opened your mind" they'll demand you open your mouth wallet :naughty2:

Fixed it. :smoke:
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#125  Postby MrFungus420 » Mar 23, 2010 2:00 am

thedistillers wrote:
mmmcheezy wrote:Do you think we're lucky enough to have lost thedistillers for good? Or do you think he's just going to lay low for a few more days and open YET ANOTHER thread without resolving this one [and make a bunch of excuses in the process]?

I just pointed out that a lot of atheists are like creationists;

No.

You started your OP in this thread with a lie.
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#126  Postby MrFungus420 » Mar 23, 2010 2:05 am

thedistillers wrote:Are you seriously going to start playing with words and tell us there is a significant difference between attacking the concept of god and debunking god?

If that was the case...

But, the book was about belief in a god. Not necessarily the existence of a god.

The "delusion" in the title meaning the belief in god as a delusion. If you would have read the book instead of just parroting what others say about it you might have noticed that he made that point clear.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#127  Postby MrFungus420 » Mar 23, 2010 2:10 am

Armageddo wrote:Put a sock in in hackenslash. You've been shown to be utterly wrong :dance: In Dawkins' own words, he is attacking gods, all gods. And for a book called the GOD delusion, he has barely even touched the subject, instead opting for the tired old avoidance tactic of equating religion with god (strawman argument). I've got news for you mate, God is not a religion, and Dawkins' book is called the GOD delusion, not the religion delusion.

Tell me, what on earth did you think a book called the GOD delusion was going to be about?

About the delusion that is belief in a god.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#128  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 2:13 am

MrFungus420 wrote:
Armageddo wrote:Put a sock in in hackenslash. You've been shown to be utterly wrong :dance: In Dawkins' own words, he is attacking gods, all gods. And for a book called the GOD delusion, he has barely even touched the subject, instead opting for the tired old avoidance tactic of equating religion with god (strawman argument). I've got news for you mate, God is not a religion, and Dawkins' book is called the GOD delusion, not the religion delusion.

Tell me, what on earth did you think a book called the GOD delusion was going to be about?

About the delusion that is belief in a god.

Duh, obviously. Why then is the book actually about organised religion? Why does Dawkins spend most of his time arguing about that rather than addressing what the book's title suggests? Answer : Strawman tactic.
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#129  Postby ADParker » Mar 23, 2010 3:57 am

Armageddo wrote:
God is a christian term, is it now? :drunk: Really?

Capital 'G' God? Yes.
Unless you know of another source of that proper noun.
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#130  Postby ADParker » Mar 23, 2010 4:04 am

Armageddo wrote:Duh, obviously. Why then is the book actually about organised religion? Why does Dawkins spend most of his time arguing about that rather than addressing what the book's title suggests?

Complex question.
First question: Is the book actually about organised religion? Does Dawkins spend most of his time arguing about that rather than addressing what the book's title suggests?

And please elaborate. Do not simply spout off, once again, that it does. Once you establish that claim, only then will you be in the proper question to ask why.
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#131  Postby Mononoke » Mar 23, 2010 4:18 am

I think there is a positive correlation between the success of the forum and the number of wacko fundies it attracts
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#132  Postby Agrippina » Mar 23, 2010 4:34 am

Mononoke wrote:I think there is a positive correlation between the success of the forum and the number of wacko fundies it attracts

Yes, they arrive, try to sell their dogma, don't succeed, get banned and then another arrive and the cycle starts all over again.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#133  Postby Mononoke » Mar 23, 2010 5:13 am

Agrippina wrote:
Mononoke wrote:I think there is a positive correlation between the success of the forum and the number of wacko fundies it attracts

Yes, they arrive, try to sell their dogma, don't succeed, get banned and then another arrive and the cycle starts all over again.

Agri, you do realize that you are making close to 200 posts a day
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#134  Postby Agrippina » Mar 23, 2010 6:41 am

Mononoke wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

Verbal diarrhoea ? Sorry!!!
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#135  Postby MattHunX » Mar 23, 2010 8:05 am

Agrippina wrote:
Mononoke wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

Someone's got an awful lot of free-time on their hands, and so will I...soon. :cheers:

I don't know how ADParker's Fungus' and Hack's patience is holding up, but I'd be really frustrated with them at this point. Either they don't really understand the words, or they're constantly redefining them and the interpretations, just like their church does, whenever they're backed into a corner. And I'm willing to bet they've never even read The God Delusion, just reviews, and now they're trying make a case which they're continually neglecting to back up with a their reasons for it.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#136  Postby Agrippina » Mar 23, 2010 8:38 am

MattHunX wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
Mononoke wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

Someone's got an awful lot of free-time on their hands, and so will I...soon. :cheers:

Not really, I'm busy at the computer all day, I take regular breaks. :cheers:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#137  Postby Oldskeptic » Mar 23, 2010 11:34 pm

TheDistillers wrote:
It just occurred to me how a lot of atheists - especially those belonging to the Church of Atheist FundamentalismTM - and creationists share the same frame of mind.

Actually I’m a member of the Organization of Fundamental Atheistics. It’s great. I and some like mined people get together on Friday or Saturdays night a couple of times a month and don’t discuss gods or religion, usually over pasta with generous portions of wine. We are always grateful for the food we receive and gleefully display it by thanking and toasting those that prepared the meal until in feigned embarrassment they yell, “Stop.”

Not one of our members holds a belief in any kind of god -unless you count Eric Clapton, we are all old farts- but we feel no need to talk about the single fundamental aspect of our atheism because it is quite simply boring, and how long can a person go on about simply not believing because they see no reason to believe?

I don’t know what they do at creationist dinner parties, but it’s my guess that even though they have more aspects to their fundamentalism the topics of conversation become redundant and boring after just a little while, and I suspect the wine does not flow as freely. They also probably scrimp on good crusty bread and serve dry powdered parmesan instead of Parmigiano-Reggiano.

TheDistillers wrote:
A lot, or most creationists refuse to consider the evidence for evolution. A lot of atheists refuse to consider the evidence for the existence of God as well.

Ya see the difference here is that I could spend weeks or months posting actual evidence in support of evolution by natural selection, real empirical evidence, time tested and per reviewed evidence, and you and others would ignore it and go your merry way proclaiming that there is no evidence. And what you and these others have as positive evidence is nothing.

Nothing in support of ID or Creationism, and nothing in support of any kind of a god, let alone a creator of the universe.

No theological argument is evidence of anything. Be it derived from Anselm or Socrates, it is religious philosophy, nothing more.

There is no evidence for the existence of God for an atheist to consider, only pathetic circular arguments to be taken apart, which has been done over and over again.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#138  Postby Tangerine Dream » Mar 24, 2010 12:17 am

Agrippina wrote:

True. But what would you do without them :smoke:

200 posts a day at the age of 99 ! :shock:
:cheers:
If shit was worth something, poor people would be born with no asshole.
Tangerine Dream

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#139  Postby ElDiablo » Mar 24, 2010 2:34 am

The_Metatron wrote:
Because all "evidence" presented by any theologist, yourself included, has been weighed, measured, and found to be wanting.

You, as are most theologists, are very confused about what constitutes evidence. You need to provide something testable. Falsifiable. Repeatable.

We're waiting.

+1
And to add to this...
When you present a plea for athiests to be open minded don't preface it with closed-minded, erroneous assertions. Practice what you preach.
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#140  Postby Agrippina » Mar 24, 2010 5:45 am

Tangerine Dream wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

True. But what would you do without them :smoke:

200 posts a day at the age of 99 ! :shock:
:cheers:

You're not doing too bad yourself for a four-year-old. :cheers:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism