Atheists have little contribution in society...

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Atheists have little contribution in society...

#41  Postby hackenslash » Mar 17, 2010 12:31 pm

Katherine wrote:Oh, and former Blue Peter presenter Peter Purves is an atheist too.

Funny story from my childhood. I was on a train travelling to my grandmother's house with my sister. I was about 10 or 11, and my sister was about 14. She pointed at this bloke on the train and said that he was famous, but she didn't know who he was. After some back and forth, she suggested that I go and ask for his autograph, and then we'd be able to read his name and we'd know who he was. Being the cheeky sod I was, I went and got his autograph. He was really cool about it. Only problem was that we couldn't read the autograph. We got my grandnmother's house, and passed the autograph all around the house, but nobody could make out what the name was. It bugged us both for days, and we were passing it around everybody we met, but nobody could tell what it was. Anyhoo, finally my sister gave it to my father, who glanced at it briefly and said 'Peter Purves'. :lol:
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#42  Postby Katherine » Mar 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Ohm and Jeremy Clarkson on Rowan Williams. This is a column Jezza wrote in December 2007, called 'Unhand my Patio Heater, Archbishop':

The Archbishop of Canterbury told the faithful on Christmas Day that unless human beings abandon our greed, we will be responsible for the death of the planet. Hmm. I’m not sure that I can take a lecture on greed from a man who heads one of the western world’s richest institutions. As we huddle under a patio heater to stay warm while having a cigarette in the rain, his bishops are living in palatial splendour with banqueting halls, wondering where to invest the next billion.

And are the churches open at night as shelter for the homeless and the weak? No, they are locked lest someone should decide to redress the inequalities of western society by half-inching a candelabra and fencing it to buy Christmas presents for his kiddies. Then we must ask how much old Rowan really understands about the implications and causes of global warming. He thinks that taking a holiday in Florida and driving a Range Rover caused the flooding in Tewkesbury this summer. But then he also believes it’s possible for a man to walk on water and feed a crowd of 5,000 with nothing more than a couple of sardines.

Hmm. Well here are some facts that Rowan might like to chew on over his fair-trade breakfast cereal. The Alps are enjoying good snowfalls this year, in much the same way that the Alps in New South Wales enjoyed healthy snowfalls last summer. The hurricane season finished a couple of weeks ago and, contrary to all the scaremongering from Al Gore’s mates, the number of severe storms, for the second year in a row, was slightly below average.

Closer to home, Britain did not, as was predicted by the BBC’s hysterical internet news site, bake this summer under record-breaking temperatures. It was wet and soggy, much like in all the summers of my youth. And the only reason Tewkesbury flooded is because we’ve all paved our drives and built houses on the flood plains so the rainwater had nowhere else to go apart from Mrs Miggins’s front room.

In the light of all this, I would like Rowan Williams to come out from behind his eyebrows and tell us how many people have been killed by greed-induced global warming. Because even the most swivel-eyed lunatic would be hard pressed to claim it’s more than a few dozen. Meanwhile, I reckon the number of people killed over the years by religious wars is around 809m. I tell you this, beardie. Many, many more people have died in the name of God than were killed in the name of Hitler.

Between 1096 and 1270, the Crusades killed about 1.5m. Way more than have been killed by patio heaters and Range Rovers combined. Then there was the 30 years’ war, which reduced Europe’s population by about 7.5m. And the slaughter is still going on today in Iraq and Afghanistan and Palestine and Pakistan. Benazir Bhutto was killed by a religious nut, not a homeless polar bear. We have been told by those of a communist disposition that if we return to a life of sackcloth and potato soup (bishops excepted) and if we meet all the targets laid down by the great scientist John Prescott at Kyoto, then Britain will be a shining beacon to the world. Others will see what we have done and immediately lay down their 4x4s.

Rubbish. America and China and India will ignore our lunacy and our economic suicide and continue to embody the human spirit for self-improvement (or greed, as Rowan calls it). No matter. Old Rowan will doubtless applaud the move. This is a man who was arrested in the antinuclear protests of the 1980s. Who refused to call the 9/11 terrorists evil and said they had serious moral goals. Who thinks that every single thing bought and sold is “an act of aggression” on the developing world. Who campaigns for gay rights but wouldn’t actually appoint a homosexual as a bishop. And who recently said in an interview that America was the bad guy and that Muslims in Britain were like the good Samaritans.

In other words, he’s a full-on, five-star, paid-up member of the loony left, so anything that prevents the middle classes from having a Range Rover and a patio heater is bound to get his vote. If, however, he really wants to bring peace and stability to the world, if he really believes Britain can be a force for good and a shining beacon in troubled times, then I urge him to close the Church of England.

If we can demonstrate that we can survive without a church - and when you note 750,000 more people went online shopping on Christmas Day than went to church, you could argue we already do - then, who knows, maybe the mullahs and the left-footers will follow suit. Daft? Not as daft as expecting the government in Beijing to renounce electricity because everyone in Britain has swapped their Range Rover for a mangle.

But better? Well yes. I genuinely believe we are born with a moral compass and we don’t need it reset every Sunday morning by some weird-beard communist in a dress. I am, as you may have gathered, completely unreligious, but it doesn’t stop me trying to be kind to others, and I’m never completely overwhelmed with a need to murder madmen in pulpits. Slightly overwhelmed sometimes, but never completely.

Morally, the world would be no worse if religion were abolished. Practically, it would be much, much better. And so, given the choice of which we should give up, God or the patio heater, the choice is simple.

I cheered when I finished reading that for the first time!

Official Cleaner in Residence

On standby at all times with a bucket of warm soapy water, Cillit Bang, squeegee & mop.

TWITTER: http://twitter.com/Kitty_B_Good
Katherine

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#43  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 17, 2010 2:33 pm

Katherine wrote:I have contributed much to my local society during the last seven years doing a mountain of voluntary work for my local hospital radio station. I do ward rounds on Thursday afternoons collecting record requests from patients, I am the chief music purchaser, I am on the management committee, I help with fundraising and as garnish, I'm Head Librarian too. I have also donated money to the Kirsty Howard appeal for Francis House Children's Hospice in Manchester.

And please don't call me a friend. As George Carlin said "I wouldn't presume on a friendship. It's not polite".

Hi "Katherine"

But you are not from the Atheists Agnostics who range from confusion to confusion. You are doing things what a normal human being must do in the society. Is it correct?

Thanks
I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim
http://paarsurrey.wordpress.com/
We believe:
• Quran- authored by the Creator God; 100% accurate if correctly interpreted
• Sunnah-always existed with Quran; it derives its accuracy from Quran.
• Hadith- accurate only if it does not differ with Quran.
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#44  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Mr P wrote:So as an atheist I make no contribution to society... well apart from paying my taxes, taking advantage of free democracy by voting, by working in a job that produces stuff for society, by buying goods and services so therefore supporting liberal capitalism, by paying my bills, by social interaction, by opposing opressive and outdated dogma..... etc.

Hi friends

You are doing what a normal human being irrespect of his belief or unbelief would do.

Thanks
We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#45  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 17, 2010 2:44 pm

the PC apeman wrote:
Even if this opinion had a basis in fact, so what? It wouldn't add support to claims for the existence of a deity. It is possibly the case that adherence to a myth serves the desires of a large majority. It still wouldn't mean that a deity exists.

Hi friends

Even if the above opinion had a basis in fact, so what? It wouldn't add support to claims for the non-existence of a Creator. It is possibly the case that adherence to an ideology serves the desires of those people. It still wouldn't mean that the Creator does not exist.

Thanks
We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#46  Postby aspire1670 » Mar 17, 2010 2:46 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
Mr P wrote:So as an atheist I make no contribution to society... well apart from paying my taxes, taking advantage of free democracy by voting, by working in a job that produces stuff for society, by buying goods and services so therefore supporting liberal capitalism, by paying my bills, by social interaction, by opposing opressive and outdated dogma..... etc.

Hi friends

You are doing what a normal human being irrespect of his belief or unbelief would do.

Thanks

Fuck me, you've said something sensible for once although in your case this meant you had to shoot yourself in both feet to let out the sensible. You do realize you have finally managed to subvert your delusional thinking about imaginary god as the source of morality. Didn't think so. :lol:

No need to thank me.
psikeyhackr wrote: Physics is not rhetorical pseudo-logic crap.

I removed this signature at the request of another member.
aspire1670

Male

Print view this post

#47  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 17, 2010 2:47 pm

Shaker wrote:
Did Sagan consider himself an atheist?

No (even though he was).

Hi friends

They put a label on him to increase their numbers.

Thanks
We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#48  Postby Sphynxcat » Mar 17, 2010 2:51 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
Shaker wrote:
Did Sagan consider himself an atheist?

No (even though he was).

Hi friends

They put a label on him to increase their numbers.

Thanks

Indeed. Just as religious folk the world over put labels on their uncomprehending newborns to increase their numbers.
Author of 'Dreamshade', one weird and wild fantasy epic: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15916
Sphynxcat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby the PC apeman » Mar 17, 2010 2:54 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
the PC apeman wrote:
Even if this opinion had a basis in fact, so what? It wouldn't add support to claims for the existence of a deity. It is possibly the case that adherence to a myth serves the desires of a large majority. It still wouldn't mean that a deity exists.

Hi friends

Even if the above opinion had a basis in fact, so what? It wouldn't add support to claims for the non-existence of a Creator. It is possibly the case that adherence to an ideology serves the desires of those people. It still wouldn't mean that the Creator does not exist.

Thanks

I agree. So I gather this little thread* of yours is intended to do nothing other than fling your opinion feces at atheists. How peaceful of you.

*Edit: actually, I see this thread isn't your idea. But the post I originally responded to is. So my response above is directed at that.
Last edited by the PC apeman on Mar 17, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the PC apeman

Print view this post

#50  Postby hackenslash » Mar 17, 2010 2:55 pm

aspire1670 wrote:Fuck me, you've said something sensible for once although in your case this meant you had to shoot yourself in both feet to let out the sensible. You do realize you have finally managed to subvert your delusional thinking about imaginary god as the source of morality. Didn't think so. :lol:

No need to thank me.

It's worse than that, look:

paarsurrey wrote:Even if the above opinion had a basis in fact, so what? It wouldn't add support to claims for the non-existence of a Creator. It is possibly the case that adherence to an ideology serves the desires of those people. It still wouldn't mean that the Creator does not exist.

All of a sudden, and for I think the first time since you joined us, your syntax is perfect! What have you done with paarsurrey, you fiend?!!

Still bollocks, though. We don't claim the non-existence of a creator, we simply reject claims for the existence of a creator.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#51  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 17, 2010 3:00 pm

BigRed wrote:what does belief or nonbelief have to do with what you contribute to society?

Hi "BigRed"

My point is that for all the praise the Atheists Agnostics do to their ideaology or non-ideaology; from the start of the human society; they hardly could produce any countries ruled by Atheists Agnostics so that one could evaluate their performance being good human beings upholding freedom of thought, justice and other ethical and moral faculties of a man. Whenver they got a chance to hold of a segment of the society ; they happened to be so cruel and worthless that they later disowned them altogother. Is it true or not ?

Thanks
We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Atheists with religious friends

#52  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 17, 2010 3:05 pm

dylan wrote:Perhaps paarsurrey you should start a new thread about the contribution atheists have done in history or lack of in your opinion. I think you'll be surprised how few hold your view.

Hi friends

Our "dylan" is a smart guy. He knows that these Forums mostly belong to the Atheists Agnostics hence his words "I think you'll be surprised how few hold your view". Well done "dylan"

Thanks
We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#53  Postby z8000783 » Mar 17, 2010 3:13 pm

paarsurrey wrote:Athiests have little contribution in society being evolved and entering into the 21st century, in my opinion. Society has evolved; deifnitely, and it would have been the same even if there had been no Atheists. I think you wold agree with me on this.

Thanks

I actually think you are correct.

Up to now almost, society has been dominated by religion. All the the great scientist and many of the great thinkers were plying their trade from the de-facto standard that God exists.

So here we are a few short years into the 21st century and you point I presume, is what have atheists done in the name of atheism as opposed to what they have achieved during their day job. My view is that all the great scientists mentioned here would still have be great scientists in other periods.

So what.

Maybe it has taken this long for people to actually wake-up to the ludicrous propositions we are being asked to believe day-in-day out, maybe they are finally sick of the theist crying foul or running away every time someone asks HOW they know something they profess to believe is true and maybe they are sick of people behaving callously towards their fellow human beings and then saying they have no choice because "I have to obey my God".

Maybe atheists haven't made a difference so far but we're here now because the continuous stream of complete and utter Bullshit will no longer go unchallenged and so you better get you arguments in good order, for when you fail to convince the whole world will know about it.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Varangian » Mar 17, 2010 3:20 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
Varangian wrote:multi-culturalism is mainly an excuse for those who want to bring their outdated superstitions into the 21st century.

Hi friend Varangian

Like most others here, I think you use "friend" a bit too liberally. We share the same planet, that's all.

paarsurrey wrote:Athiests have little contribution in society being evolved and entering into the 21st century, in my opinion. Society has evolved; deifnitely, and it would have been the same even if there had been no Atheists. I think you wold agree with me on this.

Others have debunked that ridiculous claim of yours. Now, please tell me the significant contributions to society made by Islam since, say, the 13th century.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#55  Postby the PC apeman » Mar 17, 2010 3:21 pm

z8000783 wrote:So what.

Tried that. I wish you more luck in getting a (focused) response.
the PC apeman

Print view this post

#56  Postby Varangian » Mar 17, 2010 3:26 pm

theidiot wrote:There's an old slave song, that goes "I hear music in the air, there must be a God somewhere", where the slaves sense of hope, and belief in God are inseparable conceptions. It's not if you find your own privileged life meaningful and hopeful, but the relationship of hope and meaning in the lives of others, and how that sense is inseparable from their God beliefs.

Slavery sanctioned by the Bible... Religion gave them hope, yes, but that only meant that they didn't do anything about their situation in this life. So religion was a great way of controlling them.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#57  Postby z8000783 » Mar 17, 2010 3:27 pm

the PC apeman wrote:
z8000783 wrote:So what.

Tried that. I wish you more luck in getting a (focused) response.

I have more patients than a Muslim, they give up too easily besides I don't have to keep running of to tell some mythical deity how fucking wonderful he is.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#58  Postby SteveBrewer » Mar 17, 2010 3:45 pm

paarsurrey wrote:

My point is that for all the praise the atheists Agnostics do to their ideaology or non-ideaology; from the start of the human society; they hardly could produce any countries ruled by atheistsAgnostics so that one could evaluate their performance being good human beings upholding freedom of thought, justice and other ethical and moral faculties of a man. Whenver they got a chance to hold of a segment of the society ; they happened to be so cruel and worthless that they later disownedpraised them altogother. Is it true or not ?

Thanks

There, fixed it. It reads much more accurately now.
SteveBrewer

Male

Print view this post

#59  Postby Varangian » Mar 17, 2010 3:51 pm

paarsurrey wrote:My point is that for all the praise the Atheists Agnostics do to their ideaology or non-ideaology;

If you can wrap your head around more than one concept, try this on for size: an atheist can be of practically any political ideology. Political idiologies (or politicized religions) form society; not believing in gods doesn't.

paarsurrey wrote:from the start of the human society; they hardly could produce any countries ruled by Atheists Agnostics so that one could evaluate their performance being good human beings upholding freedom of thought, justice and other ethical and moral faculties of a man.

Perhaps not, but mostly due to the historical track record of religious people hindering secular societies to form. But if you get your head up from your prayer mat and have a look around you, you will see that the top countries that are the most prosperous, least corrupted, with highest degree of literacy, lowest number of stillbirths, longest life expectancy, least infringements on freedom of expression and other human rights, etc, etc, are secular. While that isn't the same as "atheist", it means that the countries that don't let religious wackaloons manage the daily running of affairs provide the best societies. Now, can you name a single fully Islamic country that ranks among the 30-40 best (= highest quality of life) countries in the world?

paarsurrey wrote:Whenver they got a chance to hold of a segment of the society ; they happened to be so cruel and worthless that they later disowned them altogother. Is it true or not ?

Now, could you please provide some examples, or did you just pull that out of your ass?

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Varangian » Mar 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Varangian wrote:
paarsurrey wrote:My point is that for all the praise the Atheists Agnostics do to their ideaology or non-ideaology;

If you can wrap your head around more than one concept, try this on for size: an atheist can be of practically any political ideology. Political idiologies (or politicized religions) form society; not believing in gods doesn't.

paarsurrey wrote:from the start of the human society; they hardly could produce any countries ruled by Atheists Agnostics so that one could evaluate their performance being good human beings upholding freedom of thought, justice and other ethical and moral faculties of a man.

Perhaps not, but mostly due to the historical track record of religious people hindering secular societies to form. But if you have a look around you, you will see that the top countries that are the most prosperous, least corrupted, with highest degree of literacy, lowest number of stillbirths, longest life expectancy, least infringements on freedom of expression and other human rights, etc, etc, are secular. While that isn't the same as "atheist", it means that the countries that don't let religious wackaloons manage the daily running of affairs provide the best societies. Now, can you name a single fully Islamic country that ranks among the 30-40 best (= highest quality of life) countries in the world?

paarsurrey wrote:Whenver they got a chance to hold of a segment of the society ; they happened to be so cruel and worthless that they later disowned them altogother. Is it true or not ?

Now, could you please provide some examples, or did you just pull that out of your ass?

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism