Atheists with religious friends

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Atheists with religious friends

#21  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 06, 2010 3:04 am

Varangian wrote:Hell, I'm the preachy one!

Hi friend Varangian

I have all sorts of friends Atheists included. I believe in Multi-cultural society.
So you are an Atheist Preacher. I think you said like that. Did you ? Well that makes Atheism a Faith; but you won't admit it, in my opinion, as your Atheist friends won't like it.
Is it so?

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim
http://paarsurrey.wordpress.com/
We believe:
• Quran- authored by the Creator God; 100% accurate if correctly interpreted
• Sunnah-always existed with Quran; it derives its accuracy from Quran.
• Hadith- accurate only if it does not differ with Quran.
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Varangian » Mar 06, 2010 4:06 am

paarsurrey wrote:
Varangian wrote:Hell, I'm the preachy one!

Hi friend Varangian

I have all sorts of friends Atheists included. I believe in Multi-cultural society.
So you are an Atheist Preacher. I think you said like that. Did you ? Well that makes Atheism a Faith; but you won't admit it, in my opinion, as your Atheist friends won't like it.
Is it so?

Oh no, not another believer thinking atheism is a religion... :roll: It is obvious you missed the tone of my comment, and read far too much into it instead. When I wrote that I'm the preachy one, it was to imply that my religious friends don't bring up religion. I, on the other hand, bring up non-believing at times. How the hell that makes it a faith eludes me. :scratch: BTW, multi-culturalism is mainly an excuse for those who want to bring their outdated superstitions into the 21st century.

Peace, or something.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Animavore » Mar 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Its easy for me to get along with my theist friends, I simply don't bring up religion.
Not that difficult.
Although my friends are so vague in their beliefs (except for the creationist one) you could hardly call them religious at all.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24  Postby cherries » Mar 06, 2010 1:53 pm

i married a muslim and at first was forced to convert and then really converted until sep.11 when i snapped out of it.
i'm staying in a muslim country with most people being theist,say 99%~
i can't talk about that i'm atheist and have to lie and pretend sometimes to cover myself.
i want to leave but not sure how,i'd have to abandon my kids because i have no right to take them,especially if my husband and relatives would find out about my religious views.
all my good friends are atheist which i knew from before i left europe or i met here when they came here to stay just for a while or friends i made over the internet.
"Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked.
This is because most books on witchcraft were written by men."
-Terry Pratchett / Neil Gaiman

A theists for Conservation
cherries

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#25  Postby dylan » Mar 06, 2010 2:01 pm

cherries wrote:i married a muslim and at first was forced to convert and then really converted until sep.11 when i snapped out of it.
i can't talk about that i'm atheist and have to lie and pretend sometimes to cover myself.
i want to leave but not sure how,i'd have to abandon my kids because i have no right to take them,especially if my husband and relatives would find out about my religious views.
all my good friends are atheist which i knew from before i left europe or i met here when they came here to stay just for a while or friends i made over the internet.

WOW! I can't imagine how hard that would be!! I wish I could help somehow.
Rational Skepticism: the mind's bullcrap filter
dylan

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby cherries » Mar 06, 2010 2:12 pm

thanks,i think there are quite a number of people in this situation.i have a friend who is starting to doubt all this religious crap whom i'm trying to support.same situation like me.

cherries

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Tero » Mar 06, 2010 2:17 pm

All our friends are religious, with a few Unitarians thrown in. The common theme is a fish fry or a potluck dinner. My daughter played volleyball with the Catholic team for a year.
How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#28  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 17, 2010 12:47 am

Tero wrote:All our friends are religious, with a few Unitarians thrown in. The common theme is a fish fry or a potluck dinner. My daughter played volleyball with the Catholic team for a year.

Hi friend "Tero"

How is your experience with the religious people?

Thanks
We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#29  Postby BigRed » Mar 17, 2010 3:08 am

I had to end my friendship with someone bc of her belief in LOA. I had no problem with her believing it, it was the preaching that drove me nuts.
I want to be the girl with the most cake.
BigRed

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Mantisdreamz » Mar 17, 2010 5:42 am

SpiritualNotReligius wrote:
I like people. If I want to argue religion, I can get on a forum. Otherwise I'm a firm believer in staying away from politics and religion in real life most of the time.

Exactly. :) I know quite a few people that are fundamentalists, in which their beliefs come up often, but it's not done in a demeaning way at all, but more as if that's just the way it is. One girl I worked with who became a good friend of mine was just bubbly as hell and outgoing, down to earth and a strict believer of her religion. But, for some reason it didn't bother me.

It's strange, because when we come onto forums like this, or RDF or wherever and when you see a person standing up for their faith, it's a tad annoying - maybe depends on how the person is going about doing it. However, I can see this friend of mine in a forum situation, possibly going on about her religion and standing up for it. Why it isn't annoying in a real life situation, yet on forums it is - I'm not so sure. Maybe it's because on forums we're missing a lot of other attributes that person might have.

But the idea of mass religious groups infiltrating our politics, education, etc. is intolerable. Yet these groups are made up of the very people that can be our close friends. It's almost as if the group dynamic brings about an extra source of power & corruption that an individual may not feel empowered to on their own.

I think people are just too easily persuaded by senseless ideas that spread like wild fire within a group atmosphere - even if the individual person may not know the exact reasoning of an idea. Without the influence of others, individual people on their own may not get caught up in such extremist views. (?)
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Mantisdreamz wrote:
I like people. If I want to argue religion, I can get on a forum. Otherwise I'm a firm believer in staying away from politics and religion in real life most of the time.

Exactly. :) I know quite a few people that are fundamentalists, in which their beliefs come up often, but it's not done in a demeaning way at all, but more as if that's just the way it is. One girl I worked with who became a good friend of mine was just bubbly as hell and outgoing, down to earth and a strict believer of her religion. But, for some reason it didn't bother me.

It's strange, because when we come onto forums like this, or RDF or wherever and when you see a person standing up for their faith, it's a tad annoying - maybe depends on how the person is going about doing it. However, I can see this friend of mine in a forum situation, possibly going on about her religion and standing up for it. Why it isn't annoying in a real life situation, yet on forums it is - I'm not so sure. Maybe it's because on forums we're missing a lot of other attributes that person might have.

But the idea of mass religious groups infiltrating our politics, education, etc. is intolerable. Yet these groups are made up of the very people that can be our close friends. It's almost as if the group dynamic brings about an extra source of power & corruption that an individual may not feel empowered to on their own.

I think people are just too easily persuaded by senseless ideas that spread like wild fire within a group atmosphere - even if the individual person may not know the exact reasoning of an idea. Without the influence of others, individual people on their own may not get caught up in such extremist views. (?)

Hi friends

It is the same with the Atheists Agnostcs.

Thanks
We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby BigRed » Mar 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Is it me or does paarsurrey come across like a robot?
I want to be the girl with the most cake.
BigRed

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Varangian » Mar 17, 2010 9:40 pm

BigRed wrote:Is it me or does paarsurrey come across like a robot?

Begin with "Hi friends", continue with some random phrase based on a random sentence in a previous post, disable the spellcheck, end with "Thanks". Hmmm... you might be on to something there... ;)

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Mantisdreamz » Mar 18, 2010 5:36 am

paarsurrey wrote:
Mantisdreamz wrote:

Hi friends

It is the same with the Atheists Agnostcs.

Thanks

:lol: I thought this may come up as well.
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 18, 2010 12:35 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
Hi friends

It is the same with the Atheists Agnostcs. [responding to, "I think people are just too easily persuaded by senseless ideas."}

Er, yes, of course. Because accepting things that are supported by a mountain of evidence is the same thing as believing in a religion that has no support from reality.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#36  Postby katja z » Mar 18, 2010 3:39 pm

cherries wrote:i married a muslim and at first was forced to convert and then really converted until sep.11 when i snapped out of it.

Cherries, I feel for you. It's a tough situation. But, children grow up eventually ... :ask:
Would you mind telling us where you live? I'm asking because of the laws. When you said you were forced to convert, was that because of the law as well or because of pressure from the husband's family?
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#37  Postby cherries » Mar 18, 2010 3:52 pm

the law and the family following it.a lot westerners convert that way,my friends daughter is involved with a local at the moment and if it gets serious she'll have to convert too.
Last edited by cherries on Mar 18, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cherries

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#38  Postby GenesForLife » Mar 18, 2010 4:02 pm

Got quite a few, some did try to discuss religion, especially the muslim ones, and got torn apart pretty quickly so they don't discuss it at all now.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby katja z » Mar 18, 2010 4:04 pm

thanks for the answers cherries :cheers:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#40  Postby cherries » Mar 18, 2010 4:05 pm

:cheers: :drunk:

cherries

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism