Can atheism be mocked for its ridculousness?

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Can atheism be mocked for its ridculousness?

#41  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 23, 2012 10:43 am

Lion IRC wrote:Did you hear the one about the atheist polytheist in the back of an ambulance...broken legs, punctured lungs, fractured skull, chipped front teeth, severed arm....
The paramedic says...which god did you annoy?
..."all of them." says the atheist polytheist.

That works a bit better.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#42  Postby Ian Tattum » Jan 23, 2012 10:45 am

UnderConstruction wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:Did you hear the one about the atheist in the back of an ambulance...broken legs, punctured lungs, fractured skull, chipped front teeth, severed arm....
..."all of them." says the atheist.

Why would an atheist give that answer?

Because he has a sense of humour? :)
Ian Tattum

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#43  Postby rainbow » Jan 23, 2012 10:45 am

Kill the Wise One!
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155419

"Það er ekki til betri tími en núna til að fresta"
rainbow
Banned User

Name: Señor Moderato

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Animavore » Jan 23, 2012 10:48 am

rainbow wrote:Image

Not that I don't find it slightly amusing but there's that strawman again.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Paul » Jan 23, 2012 10:50 am

yep, fallaciously linking atheism to science, and it's not really mocking atheism is it?
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#46  Postby UnderConstruction » Jan 23, 2012 10:50 am

Ian Tattum wrote:
UnderConstruction wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:Did you hear the one about the atheist in the back of an ambulance...broken legs, punctured lungs, fractured skull, chipped front teeth, severed arm....

Because he has a sense of humour? :)

In which case, Lion is not doing so well at mocking atheism for what it is, as per the request in the OP.
"Origins from God/Genesis are secular actually as we see it." - Robert Byers
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby THWOTH » Jan 23, 2012 10:56 am

UnderConstruction wrote:

Psst :whisper: It's a joke - it doesn't have to make sense.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#48  Postby rainbow » Jan 23, 2012 11:01 am

Paul wrote:yep, fallaciously linking atheism to science, and it's not really mocking atheism is it?

Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#49  Postby UnderConstruction » Jan 23, 2012 12:12 pm

rainbow wrote:
Paul wrote:yep, fallaciously linking atheism to science, and it's not really mocking atheism is it?

Still not showing atheism to be a ridiculous position though. :roll:
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#50  Postby rainbow » Jan 23, 2012 12:31 pm

UnderConstruction wrote:Still not showing atheism to be a ridiculous position though. :roll:

Do you actually believe that?
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Ian Tattum » Jan 23, 2012 12:31 pm

UnderConstruction wrote:
rainbow wrote:

Still not showing atheism to be a ridiculous position though. :roll:

That's because the original question was phrased in a way which made it un-answerable, utilising an almost ubiquitous assumption which is highly favoured here.That theism must always be judged by its manifestations, but atheism can never be! Marcus Brigstocke is a good example of an atheist comedian who has noted the unfairness in that approach and had some fun.
Ian Tattum

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Garm » Jan 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Animavore wrote:

And I strongly suspect the cartoon is actually mocking the people who strawman atheism.
~ Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant ~
Garm

Male

Netherlands Antilles (an)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 23, 2012 12:57 pm

Garm wrote:
Animavore wrote:

And I strongly suspect the cartoon is actually mocking the people who strawman atheism.

There was a joke on this decades ago by an English comedian... can't recall his name at the moment though.... but it was 'What do Atheists call out when they orgasm? - "Oh no one, oh no one, oh no one!".

Edit: No, he was Irish - it was Dave Allen.
Last edited by Spearthrower on Jan 23, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#54  Postby UnderConstruction » Jan 23, 2012 1:02 pm

Ian Tattum wrote:
That's because the original question was phrased in a way which made it un-answerable, utilising an almost ubiquitous assumption which is highly favoured here.That theism must always be judged by its manifestations, but atheism can never be! Marcus Brigstocke is a good example of an atheist comedian who has noted the unfairness in that approach and had some fun.

I'm not sure I entirely agree though. Because surely the point is that theism does have manifestations, yet atheism itself does not. Thus it is very much possible to mock individual atheists and their conduct, but atheism itself is much trickier. I would think that the only legitimate way to mock a position based on a lack of evidence is to show that the evidence was staring the atheist in the face. This is an approach attempted by many theists, yet seemingly never with any success.

And it is perhaps also worth noting that rainbow's little cartoon does not accomplish either. It mocks neither atheism nor any individual or group of atheists, relying as it does on a silly, made up situation that presupposed some truth to Christian claims for the sake of the joke.
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Ian Tattum » Jan 23, 2012 4:13 pm

UnderConstruction wrote:
Ian Tattum wrote:

I'm not sure I entirely agree though. Because surely the point is that theism does have manifestations, yet atheism itself does not. Thus it is very much possible to mock individual atheists and their conduct, but atheism itself is much trickier. I would think that the only legitimate way to mock a position based on a lack of evidence is to show that the evidence was staring the atheist in the face. This is an approach attempted by many theists, yet seemingly never with any success.

And it is perhaps also worth noting that rainbow's little cartoon does not accomplish either. It mocks neither atheism nor any individual or group of atheists, relying as it does on a silly, made up situation that presupposed some truth to Christian claims for the sake of the joke.

I almost agree with you about rainbow's joke, but anti religious jokes rely on the presupposition that atheism is true, so they too are surely merely another type of in humour for like thinking people. But I won't entirely concede my other point, for surely atheism and theism, or even religion and secularity per se are of little interest in themselves, particularly when held lightly. A Quaker peace campaigner and his atheist counterpart might be virtually indistinguishable, but the fun might start if the former sported a large black hat or the latter stridently asserted that there are no moral absolutes and that the sanctity of life is a completely empty concept!
Ian Tattum

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Paul » Jan 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Ian Tattum wrote:
UnderConstruction wrote:
Ian Tattum wrote:

I almost agree with you about rainbow's joke, but anti religious jokes rely on the presupposition that atheism is true, so they too are surely merely another type of in humour for like thinking people. But I won't entirely concede my other point, for surely atheism and theism, or even religion and secularity per se are of little interest in themselves, particularly when held lightly. A Quaker peace campaigner and his atheist counterpart might be virtually indistinguishable, but the fun might start if the former sported a large black hat or the latter stridently asserted that there are no moral absolutes and that the sanctity of life is a completely empty concept!

I strongly disagree that "anti religious jokes rely on the presupposition that atheism is true".

Anti-religious jokes can be (and are) made by theists mocking a religion other than theirs (or in some cases even their own), Anti-religious jokes can be made by deists. The jokes only rely on the ridiculous aspects of religion and religious authority.
There is no need to lack a belief in gods to see how risible some aspects of religion are.

Do only atheists find Father Ted funny?

Where is the presupposition that 'atheism is true' (not a phrase I care for either) in this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxo81Ok9Urk[/youtube]

or this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0thRUS1wUw[/youtube]
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#57  Postby THWOTH » Jan 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Many in the UK and Ireland have to thank Dave Allen for the part he played in their religious education. :D
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Ian Tattum » Jan 23, 2012 5:34 pm

Paul wrote:
Ian Tattum wrote:
UnderConstruction wrote:
Ian Tattum wrote:

I strongly disagree that "anti religious jokes rely on the presupposition that atheism is true".

Anti-religious jokes can be (and are) made by theists mocking a religion other than theirs (or in some cases even their own), Anti-religious jokes can be made by deists. The jokes only rely on the ridiculous aspects of religion and religious authority.
There is no need to lack a belief in gods to see how risible some aspects of religion are.

Do only atheists find Father Ted funny?

Where is the presupposition that 'atheism is true' (not a phrase I care for either) in this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxo81Ok9Urk[/youtube]

or this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0thRUS1wUw[/youtube]

Ah the blessed Dave Allen!! :grin:
I should have added the word sometimes into my last post. Of course it is true that whether we are hostile to religion or not we can see the absurdity of aspects of it.I suppose my point is that all human behaviour has the potential to appear absurd. Rationalism taken to extremes might not quite provide the knock -about of rampart irrationalism but it can raise a few smiles, and the irrationality of those who think they are being logical has its pleasures.
Ian Tattum

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Ironclad » Jan 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Animavore wrote:Elevator joke?

Dane Cook, who talked about some atheist guy sneezing in an elevator. Dane says, "God bless you." The guy says, "I'm an atheist." Dane asks him what he thinks happens when he dies? The guy says (something like) he believes when he dies he'll go back into the ground and grow into a tree (?). Dane says something like he hopes that tree gets cut down and made into paper used for Bibles.

Tickled me, that. I thought it a great retort for a Cafflick to say to a hippy-atheist. :grin:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Lion IRC » Jan 25, 2012 1:43 am

What do you get when you cross an atheist with a Jehovahs Witness?
.... Someone who wants to talk to you about God for no apparent reason.
FORMAL DEBATE - Lion IRC (affirmative) vs Crocodile Gandhi (negative)
Topic - Gay marriage should not be legalised in society.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism