"Can There Be a Decent Human Civilization Without Religion?"

Of course there can.

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

"Can There Be a Decent Human Civilization Without Religion?"

#1  Postby redwhine » Sep 15, 2013 8:38 pm

Robin Ince wrote:Recently, I took part in an "Intelligence Squared" debate at Wilderness Festival in England. The debate was: "The world needs religion, just leave God out of it." Before you go straight to the comments section to start typing your opinion, the debate was not "religion has done nothing but evil" or "militant atheists demand the desecration of all temples," it asked if a decent human civilization without religion was imaginable. So here is my edited speech, unhindered by my usual on stage wild gesticulation and frantic arms:

There are many pessimistic, sometimes apocalyptic, predictions of what happens to human beings when they lose religion.

What of the sense of community?

How will we face death?

What of charity, empathy and altruism?

A strong and fair society needs all these things, but does religion really provide them?

Some agnostic and atheist intellectuals eulogize the powers of religion. Of course, it's not needed for them. They can survive without it because they have read Plato in the original classical Greek, Attic dialect and all, and are financially secure enough not to need the pew, sermon and parish fete. They are thinking of others not as strong as them; how kind, how patronizing.

So what of those societies like ours that are reaping the benefits of fervent religion and the joy, community and altruism it brings...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robin-inc ... 96025.html
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: "Can There Be a Decent Human Civilization Without Religion?"

#2  Postby Ironclad » Sep 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Yes! There certainly ought be a decent human civilization in the absence of religion, one which keeps those altruistic characteristics. I have a fear though (I'll remove this if it is considered a derail, starting a new thread) - would not the human race simply continue to clan into opposing interest groups and keep fighting? I fear we would, and I don't know how or if we can stop being violent.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Macdoc » Sep 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Sure the Scanadavian nations are pretty close. 1% in Sweden attend kirk regularly :clap:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Boyle » Sep 16, 2013 4:18 am

Ironclad wrote:Yes! There certainly ought be a decent human civilization in the absence of religion, one which keeps those altruistic characteristics. I have a fear though (I'll remove this if it is considered a derail, starting a new thread) - would not the human race simply continue to clan into opposing interest groups and keep fighting? I fear we would, and I don't know how or if we can stop being violent.

It's not like religion stopped that from happening. Whether or not a society of millions or thousands of individuals could be cohesive enough to build a civilization without religion remains to be seen, though Daniel Everett details a tribe of a few hundred individuals that didn't have a concept of god when he visited them as a missionary. The speech is here. Granted, it's a small group, but it does serve to show that, yes, humans can be pretty damn good without the concept of god. Actually, what it illustrates for me is that humans can be good without material scarcity, which isn't surprising.
Boyle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby hackenslash » Sep 16, 2013 5:20 am

I'd say that having no religion was almost a prerequisite for a decent civilisation.

What, you think society is civilised now?
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Loren Michael » Sep 16, 2013 5:45 am

Expand the definition of religion enough to make it meaningless, and then sure, I could see "religion" as being necessary for society.

I'd prefer to see the promulgation of an anti-tribalism, anti-nepotism, anti-NIMBYism, anti-SEPism ideology. In some so-board-as-to-be-essentially-meaningless understandings of religion, that might fit.
Loren Michael

Name: Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby redwhine » Sep 16, 2013 8:31 am

Macdoc wrote:Sure the Scanadavian nations are pretty close. 1% in Sweden attend kirk regularly :clap:

Off topic, but that reminded me of the renegade motorcycle 'clubs'...

One percenter.

Some outlaw motorcycle clubs can be distinguished by a 1% patch worn on the colors. This is claimed to be a reference to a comment made by the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) in which they stated that 99% of motorcyclists were law-abiding citizens, implying that the last one percent were outlaws. As a result, some outlaw motorcycle clubs used it to unite or express themselves and are commonly referred to as "one percenters". The comment, supposedly a response to the Hollister riot in 1947, is denied by the AMA—who claim to have no record of such a statement to the press, and that the story is a misquote.

According to the ATF they are also known as Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs (OMG).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_motorcycle_club

OMG? :ask: But doesn't that mean something else? :lol:

What do I believe?

redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#8  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 16, 2013 9:27 am

hackenslash wrote:I'd say that having no religion was almost a prerequisite for a decent civilisation.

What, you think society is civilised now?

I agree with hack. There are pockets of civilization on earth where religion is nearly irrelevant. Scandinavia is the best example, I think. And, those pockets are more civil in just about every measurable way than everyplace else on earth. I know of no exceptions.

Remove religion and men will face a choice of continuing to live like savages or figuring out how to actually live like civilized men. The choice is obvious.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Peter Brown » Sep 16, 2013 12:30 pm

I think most people know who have read my prior posts that I treat religion as a form of politics. It has its great leader called god, its prime minister, the priest, and the faithful followers. In the religion is an embedded party manifesto and ideology, the rules for members and philosophy to view and react to new inventions and trends. The big difference of a religion is being able to play the my god is greater than you man card in a debate with the opposition.

It occurred to me recently that politic is born from civilisation. Civilisation is not 100% compatible with nature and so it is unnatural for us to exist in and for all of us to be contented. Ants might have a social structure, a pseudo civilisation, but an warrior ant is born a warrior ant and a worker ant a worker ant, but neither worker or warrior ant strive to be a king or queen ant.
Humans aren't like the ants as some aspire to greatness and others are just content as they are, and a third group aspire to keep others out of their comfortable nest. So what you end up with in civilisations is politics (and religions, politics with the god card) to artificially manage large numbers of populations that would collapse and grow factionist and internally aggressive if there were no politics.

So back to the OP question, the answer is no, religion is not important at all, it is just an extra add on (the god trump card) to politics which is the life blood of civilisation.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#10  Postby Peter Brown » Sep 16, 2013 12:37 pm

redwhine wrote:
Macdoc wrote:Sure the Scanadavian nations are pretty close. 1% in Sweden attend kirk regularly :clap:

Off topic, but that reminded me of the renegade motorcycle 'clubs'...

One percenter.

Some outlaw motorcycle clubs can be distinguished by a 1% patch worn on the colors. This is claimed to be a reference to a comment made by the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) in which they stated that 99% of motorcyclists were law-abiding citizens, implying that the last one percent were outlaws. As a result, some outlaw motorcycle clubs used it to unite or express themselves and are commonly referred to as "one percenters". The comment, supposedly a response to the Hollister riot in 1947, is denied by the AMA—who claim to have no record of such a statement to the press, and that the story is a misquote.

According to the ATF they are also known as Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs (OMG).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_motorcycle_club

OMG? :ask: But doesn't that mean something else? :lol:

Even those 1% clubs developed their own rules, standards and structures. That is their politics which enable them to grow and flourish, to be civilised if you define civilisation as working together as a unit.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#11  Postby nunnington » Sep 16, 2013 7:55 pm

One problem here is how you define religion. I'm pretty sure that researchers in anthropology and sociology don't try to, as it is pretty much undefinable. Obviously, religion is not necessarily theistic, and theists are not necessarily religious; so it seems that 'religion' involves a kind of intersection of some of the following, ritual, shared direct experience, theism, use of texts, various practices (e.g. meditation), moral strictures - but these are not obligatory. In other words, you can have a religion without some of these. For example, if a group of people regularly meet in a woodland glade, do a dance, and recite certain texts, while placing certain plants on an altar, which plants they later ceremonially cook and eat - is this religion? I haven't got a fucking clue.

I was checking a few definitions, and Durkheim's is quite cunning: 'a system of beliefs and practices involving sacred things'. I think it's cunning because he doesn't fall into the trap of equating religion with theism; thus, for example, animism seems to be included in his definition. Yet, isn't football (soccer)? I mean for many fans, some aspects of football are sacred, and might involve certain rituals. I guess it depends on how you define 'sacred'.
je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.
nunnington

Print view this post

#12  Postby Byron » Sep 16, 2013 9:09 pm

nunnington wrote:One problem here is how you define religion.

Oh God -- :grin: -- so this.

Ince appears to have assumed "religion = theistic god," which sinks his case.

Andrew Brown's running a "what is religion?" series on CIF Belief as we type. Hopefully Ince will come across it before his next presentation.
I'm pretty sure that researchers in anthropology and sociology don't try to, as it is pretty much undefinable. Obviously, religion is not necessarily theistic, and theists are not necessarily religious; so it seems that 'religion' involves a kind of intersection of some of the following, ritual, shared direct experience, theism, use of texts, various practices (e.g. meditation), moral strictures - but these are not obligatory. In other words, you can have a religion without some of these. For example, if a group of people regularly meet in a woodland glade, do a dance, and recite certain texts, while placing certain plants on an altar, which plants they later ceremonially cook and eat - is this religion? I haven't got a fucking clue.

I was checking a few definitions, and Durkheim's is quite cunning: 'a system of beliefs and practices involving sacred things'. I think it's cunning because he doesn't fall into the trap of equating religion with theism; thus, for example, animism seems to be included in his definition. Yet, isn't football (soccer)? I mean for many fans, some aspects of football are sacred, and might involve certain rituals. I guess it depends on how you define 'sacred'.

Football gets an article in the CIF series (and gets classed as nonreligions -- but not for want of a god).

Elsewhere, Brown's made the point that Sweden (where he lived for several years) is one of the most religious societies on earth: it worships an idealized social-democracy. Japan is similarly idealistic, and has a strong cultural imperative to order and collectivism -- famously expressed in the Buddhist-derived concept of gaman (endure with dignity, or stiff-upper-lip taken to eleven).

There's plenty variables alongside religion to consider. Ince notes America's high rates of crime, disease, and suicide, in contrast to Japan and Sweden. The USA is a continental empire without universal healthcare and with swathes of deprivation. Japan and Sweden are homogeneous societies: Japan's an ancient island-state, Sweden a tiny, rich country.

Ince's conclusions: we can be good without a sky-god. Well yes, yes we can. Did it really need saying in isolation? :scratch:
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby hackenslash » Sep 16, 2013 11:43 pm

nunnington wrote:One problem here is how you define religion.

I have no problem defining religion such that it defines religion: It is the dogmatisation of paraedolia. It's mere superstition codified. It's the recognition of patterns where there are no patterns.

Religion is no problem to define: It is that which is fuckwitted and unsupportable, yet clung to as if it constituted the truth. It is a pox on humankind more virulent and dangerous than Bubonic plague.

It is a bad idea, and exists only to be destroyed.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby nunnington » Sep 16, 2013 11:59 pm

Byron

Some interesting definitions in that article - Santayana - 'another world to live in' - yet this seems to cover vast swathes of cultural activity, doesn't it? 'For my daughter, ballet is a religion' - although I guess this is metaphoric.

Also, 'living entirely in the daily life world of those narrow appetites and immediate problems to solve is literally intolerable', (Brown). OK, but a lot of people just get pissed, or listen to music, or have sex, or read.

What about patriotism? Seeing the motherland as sacred?

I had to laugh at Sweden as one of the most religious societies.

PS. The football article is interesting, but he argues that it has no theology. Doesn't it? A friend of mine was in a Zen monastery for 10 years, and did a certain amount of Buddhist theology, e.g. 'everything is emptiness', and most of the time, he seemed to spend trying to get rid of all his ideas, such as 'everything is emptiness'! Interesting, but not Zen, as they say. I don't know if this is religion or not really. Is not knowing religion?
je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.
nunnington

Print view this post

#15  Postby Quaker » Sep 17, 2013 5:50 pm

Paul Tillich defined religion as that which is our 'ultimate concern'.

I've always rather liked that definition as it speaks to and of all people, and gets to the heart of who we are. I relate to it because there have been times I've been rather agnostic and yet deeply interested in who I am, and what is my purpose in life. In that way of looking at religion all people and societies will have a religion.
Quaker
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#16  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 18, 2013 12:15 am

Quaker wrote:Paul Tillich defined religion as that which is our 'ultimate concern'.

So my concern for the future of the planet and the human species is a "religion"? Er, I think not. Because I don't subscribe to unsupported assertions presented as purportedly constituting "axioms" about the world, regardless of whether or not the world agrees with this.

Quaker wrote:I've always rather liked that definition as it speaks to and of all people, and gets to the heart of who we are.

Except that it''s plainly and manifestly wrong. See above.

A far better definition of religion, one that is consonant with the large body of evidence provided by supernaturalists, is the treatment of unsupported mythological assertions as fact.

Quaker wrote:I relate to it because there have been times I've been rather agnostic and yet deeply interested in who I am, and what is my purpose in life. In that way of looking at religion all people and societies will have a religion.

Except that once again, it's plainly and manifestly wrong. Because I for one don't subscribe to unsupported mythological assertions. Indeed, that's one of the reasons I prefer science, because science is in the business of testing assertions to destruction, and discarding the assertions that fail said test.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Sep 18, 2013 12:18 am

Not convinced decent civilisation exists with or without religion. A lot of people suck.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Quaker » Sep 18, 2013 12:44 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Not convinced decent civilisation exists with or without religion. A lot of people suck.

Maybe though, there are a lot of decent people in all civilisations, regardless of whether they profess any religion or not. Perhaps the decent people don't tend to occupy positions of power as much though. A problem seems to be that those in power can twist religion or atheism to malign ends, especially to suppress those who don't share their own worldview.
Quaker
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#19  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 18, 2013 1:09 am

Religion is something of a de-rail and red herring. True civilisation means the adoption of logic and evidence, powerfully combined with our basic social humanity, to rule our lives instead of ANY faith-based systems. This includes, but is not limited to religions. Belief [in a rigid sense] in ANY ideology, creed or politcial or economic agenda is asking for trouble that is allowed to prosper in defiance of evidence and reason. North Korea is meant to be a communist state, but really they have created a "new" faith-based system on a leader, which is very similar to that of a theocracy in all but name.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#20  Postby redwhine » Sep 18, 2013 3:59 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Not convinced decent civilisation exists with or without religion. A lot of people suck.

The question is, "Can there be a...", and not, "Is there a...".

What do I believe?

redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Nontheism