Christopher Hitchens vs. William Lane Craig

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Christopher Hitchens vs. William Lane Craig

#181  Postby Thommo » Jul 17, 2010 2:36 pm

PoE isn't a positive argument for atheism. It's an argument that if god exists he's a shithead.
Thommo

Print view this post

#182  Postby MrGray » Jul 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Mick wrote:The opposing side would have to offer evidence if they took the position that such three-headed goblins do not exist. Typically, fellas, I'd agree with you on this. but the context of the debate and question demands the opposing side support a negative existential claim. There's no presumption in their favour.

I'm not too sure what the point of the PIU is, since i'm not in a debate and i'm not trying to show anything to be the case. heck, i could disbelief it for some entirely fallacious reason. who cares? it's besides the point.

Am I the only one having a problem interpreting that? :what:
Hnau wrote:..we mournfully slice off their heads while loving them.

hackenslash wrote:Because the mind is a blank slate at birth. It is impossible to have a conception of a really fuckwitted idea until you've actually grown some stupidity.
MrGray

Male

Print view this post

#183  Postby Mick » Jul 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Thommo wrote:PoE isn't a positive argument for atheism. It's an argument that if god exists he's a shithead.

Well, yes, if the PoE is correct, then that conditional is true. But the idea of 'God' here is that he has certain attributes which are incompatible with being a shithead. Thus, even the theist will allow: if God is a shithead, then God doesnt exist. Hence, the two premises where the pronoun 'he' refers to god is this:

if god exists, then he's a shithead.
if god is a shithead, then he doesn't exist.

yields:

thence, if god exists, then god does not exist.
therefore if god doesnt exist then god doesnt exist.
god doesnt exist.

This is an argument for atheism under the presupposition that theism pertain to monotheistic god of the abrahamic faith which has dominated Western philosophy.
Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#184  Postby Mick » Jul 17, 2010 4:09 pm

MrGray wrote:
Mick wrote:The opposing side would have to offer evidence if they took the position that such three-headed goblins do not exist. Typically, fellas, I'd agree with you on this. but the context of the debate and question demands the opposing side support a negative existential claim. There's no presumption in their favour.

I'm not too sure what the point of the PIU is, since i'm not in a debate and i'm not trying to show anything to be the case. heck, i could disbelief it for some entirely fallacious reason. who cares? it's besides the point.

Am I the only one having a problem interpreting that? :what:

Sorry, i wrote that quickly.

Basically I said this:

I affirmed that the opposing side to the existence of such goblin would have to offer positive evidence for the non-existence of this goblin. I affirmed this given the question asked (Does a 3-headed goblin exist?) and the context of the debate since the opposng side is commited to supporting a negative existential claim (there is no instance of a 3-headed goblin). If you consider the negation of the affirmation that 'a 3-headed goblin exists', you'll see that it amounts to just this.

As for the latter part, i expressed uncertainty as to why my reasons for denying the piu matters in this discussion. After all, i'm neither in a debate nor am i trying to show that the piu does not exist. Hell, my reasons for denying the piu might be totally fallacious or inept. But whether they are or not, what difference would that make?
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#185  Postby Mick » Jul 17, 2010 4:44 pm

To reinforce my point, take a look at what logician Richard L. Epstein has to say in his 'The Pocket Guide to Critical Thinking':

"[W]hen we don't have good reason to believe a claim, that does not mean we have reason to believe it's false.We might have no evidence that it's true or that it's false, in which case we should suspend judgement....not believe =/= believe is false...lack of evidence =/= evidence it is false." p.19.
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#186  Postby PhiloKGB » Jul 17, 2010 5:03 pm

So the take-home message of the last few pages is this: Craig's success in debates is based in large part on the wording of the question. He can make the opponent's case virtually impossible simply by framing the debate in a way that puts the atheist in the position of having to prove an existential negative.

Have I mentioned lately how completely laughable this whole business is?
PhiloKGB

Print view this post

#187  Postby MrGray » Jul 17, 2010 5:28 pm

Mick wrote:To reinforce my point, take a look at what logician Richard L. Epstein has to say in his 'The Pocket Guide to Critical Thinking':

"[W]hen we don't have good reason to believe a claim, that does not mean we have reason to believe it's false.We might have no evidence that it's true or that it's false, in which case we should suspend judgement....not believe =/= believe is false...lack of evidence =/= evidence it is false." p.19.

How many fucking times does this have to be retorted? Is there a reason to believe that there are invisible pink unicorns which seem to contradict the very definition of their existence? Is there a reason to believe that there are xenophobic bunnies on Alpha Centurion planning to obliterate all known forms of life in the known universe? Is there a reason to believe that there is a rather prominent pimple on the buttock of a Norwegian man housing an omniscient being waiting patiently for its fatalistic demise occurring at the hands of his recalcitrant host?

hackenslash wrote:Because the mind is a blank slate at birth. It is impossible to have a conception of a really fuckwitted idea until you've actually grown some stupidity.
MrGray

Male

Print view this post

#188  Postby Mick » Jul 17, 2010 5:30 pm

PhiloKGB wrote:So the take-home message of the last few pages is this: Craig's success in debates is based in large part on the wording of the question. He can make the opponent's case virtually impossible simply by framing the debate in a way that puts the atheist in the position of having to prove an existential negative.

No, that's incorrect. Negative existential claims can be 'proven'. For instance, Craig and many of us would be willing to accept the non-existence of God if it were ever shown to be the case that one of God's properties is a self-inconsistent or contradictory. The same would apply if it were shown that one of God's properties is not compossible with some other property of God or even some external fact. Likewise, we can also 'prove' a negative existential claim with inductive/abductive reasoning. It's not a mathematical or deductive proof, no doubt. But, so what? It's a weaker sense of the word 'prove' such like that found in the court of law.
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#189  Postby hotshoe » Jul 17, 2010 5:32 pm

PhiloKGB wrote:So the take-home message of the last few pages is this: Craig's success in debates is based in large part on the wording of the question. He can make the opponent's case virtually impossible simply by framing the debate in a way that puts the atheist in the position of having to prove an existential negative.

You got it.

And it's partly an atheist's debators fault, for agreeing to debate with a dishonest manipulative slimeball like Kraig in the first place, or for not backing out when Kraig prearranges the title and setting of the debate (but then, they would look cowardly).

But I can sympathize with the atheist's feeling that Kraig must not be allowed to crow to his followers that he is so superior that no atheist will even attempt to debate him anymore. Some people are willing to take the chance of being drowned by his flood of garbage if, in the process, they can get off a few key shots against him.
Now, when I talked to God I knew he'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#190  Postby MrGray » Jul 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Mick wrote:

No, that's incorrect. Negative existential claims can be 'proven'. For instance, Craig and many of us would be willing to accept the non-existence of God if it were ever shown to be the case that one of God's properties is a self-inconsistent or contradictory. The same would apply if it were shown that one of God's properties is not compossible with some other property of God or even some external fact. Likewise, we can also 'prove' a negative existential claim with inductive/abductive reasoning. It's not a mathematical or deductive proof, no doubt. But, so what? It's a weaker sense of the word 'prove' such like that found in the court of law.

Woo. You don't want to agree, you want to assert and expect the same special pleading you grant it.

MrGray

Male

Print view this post

#191  Postby Mick » Jul 17, 2010 5:35 pm

MrGray wrote:

How many fucking times does this have to be retorted?

I don't think the quote has been given elsewhere within this thread. :dance:

Is there a reason to believe that there are invisible pink unicorns which seem to contradict the very definition of their existence?

Well, um, I see no reason to believe that there are pink invisible unicorns.

Is there a reason to believe that there are xenophobic bunnies on Alpha Centurion planning to obliterate all known forms of life in the known universe?

Well, um, None that I'm aware of.

Is there a reason to believe that there is a rather prominent pimple on the buttock of a Norwegian man housing an omniscient being waiting patiently for its fatalistic demise occurring at the hands of his recalcitrant host?

Well, um, None that i'm aware of.

glad we got that out of the way. :whistle:
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#192  Postby Mick » Jul 17, 2010 5:37 pm

hotshoe wrote:
And it's partly an atheist's debators fault, for agreeing to debate with a dishonest manipulative slimeball like Kraig in the first place, or for not backing out when Kraig prearranges the title and setting of the debate (but then, they would look cowardly).
I wasn't aware that the title was "prearranged" by craig. perhaps you can tell me why you think this.
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#193  Postby hotshoe » Jul 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Mick wrote:

No, that's incorrect. Negative existential claims can be 'proven'. For instance, Craig and many of us would be willing to accept the non-existence of God if it were ever shown to be the case that one of God's properties is a self-inconsistent or contradictory. The same would apply if it were shown that one of God's properties is not compossible with some other property of God or even some external fact.

Lying bullshit.
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#194  Postby Mick » Jul 17, 2010 5:38 pm

MrGray wrote:
Mick wrote:

Woo. You don't want to agree, you want to assert and expect the same special pleading you grant it.

Come again?
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#195  Postby hotshoe » Jul 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Mick wrote:
hotshoe wrote:
I wasn't aware that the title was "prearranged" by craig. perhaps you can tell me why you think this.

Which debate title do you have in mind, Mick ? Which debate title do you psychically perceive that I had in mind, Mick ?

Theists, ferchrissake, they're all fucking mindreaders, aren't they.
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#196  Postby Mick » Jul 17, 2010 5:43 pm

hotshoe wrote:
Mick wrote:

No, that's incorrect. Negative existential claims can be 'proven'. For instance, Craig and many of us would be willing to accept the non-existence of God if it were ever shown to be the case that one of God's properties is a self-inconsistent or contradictory. The same would apply if it were shown that one of God's properties is not compossible with some other property of God or even some external fact.

Lying bullshit.

What's the bullshit? I really don't understand, fella. Michael Martin and Jordan Howard Sobel are argue for the non-existence of God with such arguments. In fact, Sobel's recent 'Logic and Theism' puts out many such arguments. Mackie did the same with his PoE and some so-called "quasi-logical" laws. :angel:
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#197  Postby Mick » Jul 17, 2010 5:44 pm

hotshoe wrote:
Mick wrote:
hotshoe wrote:

Which debate title do you have in mind, Mick ? Which debate title do you psychically perceive that I had in mind, Mick ?

You tell me. What title did you have in mind? I'm not aware of Craig prearranging any title.
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#198  Postby hotshoe » Jul 17, 2010 5:48 pm

Mick wrote:
hotshoe wrote:
Mick wrote:

Lying bullshit.

What's the bullshit? I really don't understand, fella. Michael Martin and Jordan Howard Sobel are argue for the non-existence of God with such arguments. In fact, Sobel's recent 'Logic and Theism' puts out many such arguments. Mackie did the same with his PoE and some so-called "quasi-logical" laws. :angel:

My point exactly. The lying bullshit is that you pretend that you (or Kraig) would be willing to suspend belief in your god if there are arguments against god. But there are arguments against god as you just mentioned, and it turns out you aren't willing to suspend your belief.

You of course are free to go on repeating your bullshit. How could I stop you, and why would I care to anyways ? But these two posts of yours show the true colors of the determined theist.

Edit added a phrase to clarify.
Last edited by hotshoe on Jul 17, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#199  Postby hotshoe » Jul 17, 2010 5:49 pm

Mick wrote:
hotshoe wrote:
Mick wrote:
hotshoe wrote:

You tell me. What title did you have in mind? I'm not aware of Craig prearranging any title.

Good, I'm glad to hear you're not a mindreader after all.
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#200  Postby Mick » Jul 17, 2010 5:57 pm

hotshoe wrote:

My point exactly. The lying bullshit is that you pretend that you (or Kraig) would be willing to suspend belief in your god if there are arguments against god.

I presume you mean if it were shown to be good arguments against God's existence rather than there simply being arguments against God's existence. For the latter isn't sufficient to show anything. After all, all such arguments might be horrible. As for the point, I'm unsure if Craig would actually give up his belief or not given such a successful argument. He implies he would, and so I take his word for it.

But there are arguments against god as you just mentioned.

Yes, there are. Yet, the objection was that such arguments could not prove their conclusion.

You of course are free to go on repeating your bullshit. How could I stop you, and why would I care to anyways ? But these two posts of yours show the true colors of the determined theist.

If you say so. The idea that arguments against God's existence are possible is also found in Lowder's writing. Here's a great article: http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/ ... negep.html
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism