Dawkins & his supporters have a right to their atheism

but not to intellectual dishonesty about it.

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Dawkins & his supporters have a right to their atheism

#61  Postby tolman » Oct 04, 2013 9:22 am

Mick wrote:Never mind.

What is 'non cognitive' about someone deliberately imagining one or more complex situations and seeing what feelings imagining those situations evokes?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#62  Postby Doubtdispelled » Oct 04, 2013 12:18 pm

Bribase wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:
Matt_B wrote:Or, better still, read Practical Ethics

Oddly enough, I was reading this when you posted that. It doesn't make any of what he says seem any better. I've had to go away for a while to think about what I find so disturbing in his writing on this subject, (and I'm definitely pro-choice and pro voluntary euthanasia) and I think it's the fact that he always uses the words 'kill' and 'killing'. For instance he never ever mentions anything about the infants he thinks we should be allowed to consider disposing of (in his perfect utilitarian world) being 'allowed to die' in the cases where medical intervention keeps them alive. In the case of spina bifida he uses the phrase 'helped to die', but he still means killed.

It's all so cold and clinical, as though he's determined to ignore everything about us that actually makes us human. Yet he's such a valiant supporter of animal rights. It doesn't make sense.

Edit to add: I've just noticed that the title of that excerpt is 'Taking Life'. I wonder who he thinks we would appoint to do his killing for him? Who should be the 'taker of life'?

I'm really not trying to be rude here but it seems a bit like you're not aware of how one should read philosophy. Again, I don't know your background well and I'm not trying to insult you here.

Philosophy, at least in my understanding is a forum in which such difficult questions and propositions can be asked and formed without fear of reprisal for saying something tasteless or seemingly uncaring. What you see as Singer being cold and clinical I take as him being rigorous in his thinking.

What you need to do, instead of dismissing his theses because they arrive at the wrong conclusions to you is to consider what might be wrong with his reasoning. And, if you can't find any fault in his reasoning, what is it about your moral intuitions that leads you to think him incorrect? The point is, Singer is not in the process of pushing new legislation on the treatment of human and non-human animals. What he is in the business of doing is making us ask pertinent questions about our ethics and what it is about us that makes us entitled to life when other animals with similar faculties are not. If he is to be taken seriously his thesis could just as easily afford non-human animals greater rights as they could clarify what it is about human life that makes us entitled to live out our lives regardless of our capacities as people. Peter Singer's tone is irrelevant, his reasoning what is important.

Hmm. I'm not entirely sure how to respond to this, so I think I'll go with pfftttt. No, hang on, equably might be a better word.

I'm sure you mean well, but you haven't actually told me anything I don't already know.

You might find yourself on surer footing if it were the case that I am one of perhaps only a few to find Singer's 'philosophies' distasteful, but I am not. http://www.jta.org/2012/06/24/news-opin ... f-morality

I checked this out before I went off the deep-end, well aware of my propensity for emotionality before rationality, believe it or not.
The point is, Singer is not in the process of pushing new legislation on the treatment of human and non-human animals.
No, he isn't. But he, and other philosophers, is/are/can be/have been hugely influential.
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#63  Postby tolman » Oct 04, 2013 12:53 pm

For all his 'influence', most people have little idea who he is or what he says, and of the people who are aware of him, most seem likely to give his words weight depending largely on whether they already agree with what he's saying, or think what he's saying provides useful arguments to justify what they already feel, to themselves or to others.

Even someone saying 'your book made me a vegetarian' is often effectively saying 'your book helped me justify vegetarian feelings I already had', and of the people who aren't, it's likely that for many the key factors weren't rational arguments he presented, but their emotional reactions to situations he was describing.

Maybe he's the most influential moral philosopher, but who's the second most influential, and how many people have heard of them?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#64  Postby Shrunk » Oct 04, 2013 1:04 pm

Mick wrote:What I am proposing is that shrunk should consider whether is view is best understood as a non-cognitive a view

I don't really know. If one holds that morality can be completely understood as a neurological process and has no existence or meaning beyond the brain functions of human beings living in groups, does that constitute "non-cognitivism"? I don't really find metaphysics all that helpful in understanding the topic, not to say I have exhaustive knowledge of it.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#65  Postby tolman » Oct 04, 2013 2:23 pm

From what I've seen, the people who do have exhaustive knowledge of it don't typically seem to be notably better at actually putting forward convincing arguments in practice.
If anything, the reverse seems to be the case.
tolman

Print view this post

#66  Postby Mick » Oct 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Or it might just be that those who listen do not have the background knowledge to appreciate what is being said.
Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#67  Postby tolman » Oct 04, 2013 4:54 pm

It doesn't seem like you're saying a great deal.

In fact on this issue, it seems like you're doing your best to avoid saying much beyond the odd one-liner which you then fail to follow up, which would be odd if you thought you had both something worth saying and the ability to say it.
tolman

Print view this post

#68  Postby Thommo » Oct 05, 2013 4:48 am

Mick wrote:Or it might just be that those who listen do not have the background knowledge to appreciate what is being said.

Interesting hypothesis, do you find that professional philosophers are more swayed by these arguments as would be the case were it true? I'd have to say that it doesn't appear to be that way to me after all, a higher proportion of philosophers are atheist than among the general population, for example, despite the lack of good disproofs of a god.
Thommo

Print view this post

#69  Postby tolman » Oct 05, 2013 8:09 am

Thommo wrote:Interesting hypothesis, do you find that professional philosophers are more swayed by these arguments as would be the case were it true? I'd have to say that it doesn't appear to be that way to me after all, a higher proportion of philosophers are atheist than among the general population, for example, despite the lack of good disproofs of a god.

Well, it does seem the case that level of education and extent of religious belief are negatively correlated in many countries.
Of course, correlation isn't causation, but most of the likely explanations of the correlation aren't exactly flattering to religion.
tolman

Print view this post

#70  Postby Mister Agenda » Oct 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:Is it possible this is a joke? There's something a bit too ironic about charging others with intellectual dishonesty in an article as poorly argued as that.

Prager is a joke, but I don't think he means to be.
Mister Agenda

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Shrunk » Oct 08, 2013 12:32 am

Thommo wrote:
Mick wrote:Or it might just be that those who listen do not have the background knowledge to appreciate what is being said.

Interesting hypothesis, do you find that professional philosophers are more swayed by these arguments as would be the case were it true? I'd have to say that it doesn't appear to be that way to me after all, a higher proportion of philosophers are atheist than among the general population, for example, despite the lack of good disproofs of a god.

Selected results, pertaining to the topics of this thread, from a survey of academic philosophers:

God: theism or atheism?
Accept or lean toward: atheism 678 / 931 (72.8%)
Accept or lean toward: theism 136 / 931 (14.6%)
Other 117 / 931 (12.6%)

Meta-ethics: moral realism or moral anti-realism?
Accept or lean toward: moral realism 525 / 931 (56.4%)
Accept or lean toward: moral anti-realism 258 / 931 (27.7%)
Other 148 / 931 (15.9%)

Moral judgment: cognitivism or non-cognitivism?
Accept or lean toward: cognitivism 612 / 931 (65.7%)
Other 161 / 931 (17.3%)
Accept or lean toward: non-cognitivism 158 / 931 (17.0%)

Moral motivation: internalism or externalism?
Other 329 / 931 (35.3%)
Accept or lean toward: internalism 325 / 931 (34.9%)
Accept or lean toward: externalism 277 / 931 (29.8%)

Normative ethics: deontology, consequentialism, or virtue ethics?
Other 301 / 931 (32.3%)
Accept or lean toward: deontology 241 / 931 (25.9%)
Accept or lean toward: consequentialism 220 / 931 (23.6%)
Accept or lean toward: virtue ethics 169 / 931 (18.2%)

Trolley problem (five straight ahead, one on side track, turn requires switching, what ought one do?): switch or don't switch?
Accept or lean toward: switch 635 / 931 (68.2%)
Other 225 / 931 (24.2%)
Accept or lean toward: don't switch 71 / 931 (7.6%)
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Onyx8 » Oct 08, 2013 1:32 am

Shrunk, stop it, that is science not meta-science.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Nontheism