Did U Feel Your Atheism Slipping Away, Theism Looking Good?

More specifically, has this been happening since Aug. 12, 2021?

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Did U Feel Your Atheism Slipping Away, Theism Looking Good?

#21  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 02, 2023 5:36 am

THWOTH wrote:This framing of atheism as a 'lack of' is more trouble than it's worth. Not having cancer doesn't mean I lack cancer - not having an adequate or sufficient amount of something - it just means I don't have it.

Lack = the state of not having enough of something or being without it, i.e. you don't have it. :scratch:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#22  Postby Evolving » Sep 02, 2023 7:01 am

I think it's more subtle. In common language, to lack something is used to mean that you haven't got something that you would prefer to have, or would normally expect to have. I lack money, certainly, in the sense that it would be great to have a bit more of it; I don't lack golf clubs, in that sense, even though I don't own any: I have no use for them and therefore don't "lack" them.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 02, 2023 7:11 am

In general cases of use, I don't personally ever use it to mean 'I have insufficient of X', although I acknowledge it does carry that meaning too. I don't have enough milk to make coffee - not I lack milk. I only ever use it to mean 'without'. That's why I think it suits well with respect to my position on gods - it's not that I have insufficient belief in gods, like just a smidge more and I'd be a believer, it's that I have zero belief in them; an absence of belief.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby Evolving » Sep 02, 2023 7:20 am

And this is why language is not an exact science.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 02, 2023 8:17 am

Languology

ETA: and of course, I then had to search that word and found this opaque but somehow amusing snippet

Joke? Funny!? Langualogy is serious business. Deadly serious, in fact. Professor Bikerton lost an eye, an ear, two fingers and three colleagues while escaping from the Linguistics Department of the Upwind Community College, Hawaii. The Languologists stood by and did nothing, watching a Phlegmaticist and two Faunologists get mowed down in their prime by a madman with a verb particle beam. Darn you, sir. Darn you straight to Heck!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby THWOTH » Sep 03, 2023 12:45 pm

Evolving wrote:I think it's more subtle. In common language, to lack something is used to mean that you haven't got something that you would prefer to have, or would normally expect to have. I lack money, certainly, in the sense that it would be great to have a bit more of it; I don't lack golf clubs, in that sense, even though I don't own any: I have no use for them and therefore don't "lack" them.

"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Evolving » Sep 03, 2023 4:36 pm

What a slimy, emetic person.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#28  Postby THWOTH » Sep 03, 2023 9:44 pm

You're only saying that because you don't like golf.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Blackadder » Sep 04, 2023 1:52 pm

As well as being a super-creepy Bible-shit peddler, he's a crap golfer. That swing is like someone shovelling cow-dung into the back of a truck.

Which, when you come to think of it, is an apt metaphor.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby don't get me started » Sep 05, 2023 6:28 am

THWOTH wrote:This framing of atheism as a 'lack of' is more trouble than it's worth. Not having cancer doesn't mean I lack cancer - not having an adequate or sufficient amount of something - it just means I don't have it.

Yeah, the whole expression of negative existence is a problem that is baked into language. Many languages have a funky, non-regular way to express negation in general and negative existence in particular.

In English, for example, stating existence divides neatly between singular and plural...

There is a (...)
There are (...)s

Pretty simple, right? But when we come to negative existence, not only does the singular/plural distinction still hold (yes, we can have singular zero and plural zero, as counter-intuitive as it seems) but we have variant ways to express these.

Singular zero

There isn't a (...)
There is no (...)

Plural zero

There aren't any (...)s
There are no (...)s

This is endlessly baffling to my Japanese students (no plurals in Japanese) and my Ukrainian students similarly struggle with expressing zero existence in English. (I'm doing research on these forms at the moment and trying to tease out from corpus data if they are used in specific contexts.) For singular negative existential expressions, what you are saying is that the number of X that exists is zero, and that stands in some kind of opposition to the expected number of one.

'There's no class next week. It's the school festival. (A once-a-week class is cancelled next week)

For plural negation, we are saying that the number is zero in opposition to a plurality.

There are no classes in August. It's the summer holidays. (A class that occurs four times a month is cancelled for the whole month.)

I found this quote that I think illustrates some of the problems that expressions of atheism have on an ontological level.

Givon (2002, p. 372) states that negative assertion is “a distinct speech act, used with different communicative goals in mind than affirmative assertions. In using a negative assertion, the speaker is not in the business of communicating new
information to the hearer. Rather, s/he is in the business of correcting the hearer’s misguided belief.”

As we see with the English negative existentials, there is some kind of washback from the positive assertion- forcing a singular or plural value to zero. We are saying something like negation is a second step, a dependent concept based on the primary concept of existence; a reaction based on a prior assertion.

The verb 'lack' seems to me to be similarly based on the idea that the expected, desired, preferred, usually extant thing is missing, that we are in a state of deficit, and that there must therefore be a 'gap' of some sort, a hole to be filled, an equation to be completed.

Reference:

Givón, Talmy. 2001. Syntax Vol.1. John Benjamins Publishing.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#31  Postby THWOTH » Sep 05, 2023 8:20 am

Fab post dgms! Cheers :cheers:
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby romansh » Sep 05, 2023 5:11 pm

Atheism
"I don't believe God exists"
weak, negative, implicit, agnostic

"I believe God does not exist"
strong, positive, explicit, gnostic

When people are referring to "atheism" it does not hurt to be clear to the flavour they are referring to.(to which they are referring ;) )
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#33  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 05, 2023 8:18 pm

romansh wrote:Atheism
"I don't believe God exists"
weak, negative, implicit, agnostic

"I believe God does not exist"
strong, positive, explicit, gnostic

When people are referring to "atheism" it does not hurt helps to be clear to the flavour they are referring to.(to which they are referring ;) )

I did a little fixing there!

As for me, I’ll go with your second option, though. That existence is something I have personally tested to my satisfaction.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Nontheism