Does atheism reduce your sex drive?

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Does atheism reduce your sex drive?

#1  Postby alienpresence » Mar 24, 2010 9:30 pm

When you consider that atheism is such a chronically small minority then surely part of this is because it isn't being reproduced. Is this a sex drive issue? What is your experience?
To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. - Maximillien Robiespierre

alienpresence

Male

Print view this post

Re: Does atheism reduce your sex drive?

#2  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 24, 2010 9:35 pm

Wha? Um er no, not at all in my experience. I don't know how the two are related. If there is a correlation then everyone should have my sex drive. Off the chart.
OBC world summer tour! LA ~ May 8, Thrasho De Mayo / Saint Vitus ~ West Coast Tour, Seattle, Protland, SF, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas June 25 - July 1 / July 4th weekend LA / Scotland, Oct? / Come and say hi if you live near! (more TBA)
obscured by clouds

Name: Mr. Obscured By Clouds

Print view this post

#3  Postby Nebogipfel » Mar 24, 2010 9:37 pm

Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby rachelbean » Mar 24, 2010 9:42 pm

I think the issue is not having babies, not not having sex. It's pretty easy to have sex without babies, and about half the atheists I know irl are not reproducing, but sex drive is definitely not an issue.

Also, while atheists may be a minority, all signs indicate numbers are growing, not shrinking. Since many of us have two christian parents I'm not sure even if none of us had babies it would mean the numbers would stop growing.

What a weird conclusion :scratch:
rachelbean

Female

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Aca » Mar 24, 2010 9:49 pm

i always had a high sex drive and that didnt change. as regards to reproduction ...have no idea what to think
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#6  Postby rachelbean » Mar 24, 2010 9:54 pm

Wait a minute, I figured it out! I think alienpresence took a time machine from the past (before there was birth control) to pose this question :teef:
rachelbean

Female

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#7  Postby delta2echo » Mar 24, 2010 9:55 pm

alienpresence wrote:When you consider that atheism is such a chronically small minority then surely part of this is because it isn't being reproduced. Is this a sex drive issue? What is your experience?

HA! I wish...
"With the first link the chain is forged. The first speach censored the first thought forbiden chains us all irrecovacably." - Captain Picard, The Drumhead ST: TNG
delta2echo

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 24, 2010 10:36 pm

alienpresence wrote:When you consider that atheism is such a chronically small minority then surely part of this is because it isn't being reproduced. Is this a sex drive issue? What is your experience?

Mmmm, actually its a growing group with every generation. I think education and growing knowledge has something to do with it.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 24, 2010 10:45 pm

alienpresence wrote:When you consider that atheism is such a chronically small minority then surely part of this is because it isn't being reproduced.

Well I dunno, look at the facts. Since the time when being an atheist would mean being a social outcast or worst, the non-religious have become the fastest growing group in Western society. So if anything, that suggests it's the religious that aren't getting enough. Either that or their indoctrination techniques can no longer stand up to the scrutiny of free expression.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 25, 2010 1:32 am

Exactly what has my not accepting uncritically unsupported assertions, when contemplating substantive questions about the world, got to do with the vigour of my testicular function?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Mr P » Mar 25, 2010 2:10 am

Calilasseia wrote:Exactly what has my not accepting uncritically unsupported assertions, when contemplating substantive questions about the world, got to do with the vigour of my testicular function?

In some parts of the world you really need balls to speak out about atheism :grin:
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine and I can know much more!
Brother Cavil, BSG
Mr P

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Bella Fortuna » Mar 25, 2010 4:17 am

Calilasseia wrote:Exactly what has my not accepting uncritically unsupported assertions, when contemplating substantive questions about the world, got to do with the vigour of my testicular function?

There must be no connection because that just gave me a hard-on. :shifty:
It's not the way that you say it
When you do those things to me
It's more the way you really mean it
When you tell me what will be.
Bella Fortuna

Name: The Other Mrs. H.
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby rachelbean » Mar 25, 2010 4:19 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:

:rofl:
rachelbean

Female

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Sylvie » Mar 25, 2010 6:38 am

Its less of a "gee honey, without the Big Man in our lives I just can't be fragged getting off the couch and fucking your brains out" and more of a "hey honey, you remembered to take the pill so we don't have another baby and our lives are fragged because we have to support kids we cant afford. Now get off the couch so I can fuck your brains out".
"Oh I see your tactic, 'God is energy, energy exists, therefore I win!' We've had this all before, its about as intellectually sophisticated as a shitting your pants." - HughMcB
Sylvie

Female

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby alienpresence » Mar 25, 2010 8:38 am

The rational intellect knows, I would assume, that there are too many people on earth and so sex might become hung up on a guilt trip at the prospect of over-population. This would mean less risk taking, less drive and ultimately less atheists. I'm not saying people are born to be atheists because their parents are but they take their attitudes and mores from the family unit.
To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. - Maximillien Robiespierre

alienpresence

Male

Print view this post

#16  Postby tnjrp » Mar 25, 2010 8:45 am

Not sure. Could be. After all, I only think about sex ca. 33% of my waking time. The rest is evenly divided between "thinking of eating" and "thinking of all the rest".
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#17  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Bella Fortuna wrote:

hehe, no your not the only one. :lol:
OBC world summer tour! LA ~ May 8, Thrasho De Mayo / Saint Vitus ~ West Coast Tour, Seattle, Protland, SF, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas June 25 - July 1 / July 4th weekend LA / Scotland, Oct? / Come and say hi if you live near! (more TBA)
obscured by clouds

Name: Mr. Obscured By Clouds

Print view this post

#18  Postby kiki5711 » Mar 25, 2010 6:12 pm

No, nothing to do with atheism, all to do with cancer pills I take. And I hate it. cause sex is important to m as the air I breath. Then fucken pills I have to take for 5 yrs makes me feel like a living dead.
kiki5711

Print view this post

#19  Postby cakrit » Mar 25, 2010 6:24 pm

alienpresence wrote:The rational intellect knows, I would assume, that there are too many people on earth and so sex might become hung up on a guilt trip at the prospect of over-population. This would mean less risk taking, less drive and ultimately less atheists. I'm not saying people are born to be atheists because their parents are but they take their attitudes and mores from the family unit.

You kinda messed up the title of the OP then, didn't you? The question is 'Does atheism reduce your willingness to procreate?'
I'll give a better argument why an atheist would not be willing to have children. If there is no purpose in life, no divine plan, no meaning, why procreate? Why live at all? This is the pitfall of nihilism, but as an atheist, you avoid it by providing your own answers. Each one of us has found something to keep us going. We each have our own reasons why to have children. Even if we don't think it through thoroughly, we are humans after all and the drive to procreate is quite strong.

Overpopulation comes into play much later in the process. Still, it's not that important an issue, because the problem is not the number of people, but the waste of resources.
"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed".
Jesus
cakrit

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#20  Postby rachelbean » Mar 25, 2010 8:06 pm

alienpresence wrote:

The rational intellect knows, I would assume, that there are too many people on earth and so sex might become hung up on a guilt trip at the prospect of over-population. This would mean less risk taking, less drive and ultimately less atheists. I'm not saying people are born to be atheists because their parents are but they take their attitudes and mores from the family unit.

There are many forms of birth control, and in the extreme there is also abortion. While the desire to avoid procreation could cause some people to avoid sex, I sincerely doubt the number is greater in atheists than religious (since they have less hang ups about the ways to avoid it mentioned earlier). The atheists I know have less hang ups about sex than most people and have no problem fulfilling their drives, and if the answers in this thread are any indication, that seems to be the norm.
rachelbean

Female

Wales (we)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Nontheism