Is Atheism Irrational?

interview with Alvin Plantinga

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Is Atheism Irrational?

#1501  Postby Johnny Blade » Jan 30, 2024 10:48 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Johnny Blade wrote:I have actually taken a rather controversial position

No, you have not done so, because you haven't stated your position anywhere. Furthermore, you are in no position to do so, what with the minimal discursive skill set you put on display. Don't hide your light under a bushel, Johnny. Bring the presence of god into the conversation. Show us your great stuff, Johnny.

Well, I think that, if you were seriously open to the idea of us not coming from a giant cosmic fart, then a lot of things would just start to fall in to place on its own for you.

If you want to talk about God, then sure we can do that. Where do you want to start?
Johnny Blade

Russia (ru)
Print view this post

#1502  Postby THWOTH » Jan 31, 2024 12:23 am

We can imagine any number of possibilities Johnny, but you seem to operating on the assumption that all imaginable possibilities represent equal or equivalent probabilities. If you think about that for a moment you'll realise that is not the case, and indeed, can never be the case.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1503  Postby Johnny Blade » Jan 31, 2024 12:49 am

Wow, thats fucking amazing!
Johnny Blade

Russia (ru)
Print view this post

#1504  Postby romansh » Jan 31, 2024 5:02 am

Johnny Blade wrote: Where do you want to start?

Tell me what you mean by God ... personally, I am quite comfortable with some kind of ignosticism or theological non-cognitivism.

How about some kind of pantheism where our cosmos and god are the same thing?
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#1505  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 31, 2024 6:35 am

Johnny Blade wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Johnny Blade wrote:I have actually taken a rather controversial position

No, you have not done so, because you haven't stated your position anywhere. Furthermore, you are in no position to do so, what with the minimal discursive skill set you put on display. Don't hide your light under a bushel, Johnny. Bring the presence of god into the conversation. Show us your great stuff, Johnny.

Well, I think that, if you were seriously open to the idea of us not coming from a giant cosmic fart, then a lot of things would just start to fall in to place on its own for you.

If you want to talk about God, then sure we can do that. Where do you want to start?

"seriously open to the idea of us not coming from a giant cosmic fart"

Us? Coming from? What is it you're on about? Not just us, Johnny. Everything. What's so important about "us"? Especially if this is the kind of conversation you'd urge "us" to have. With that, we see you're just all about anthropocentric theism. Fuck off with that. Humans are important only to themselves and their cats.

You seem to be the one who wants to talk about "god", but still you ask someone else to feed you your lines. Otherwise, god is whatever anyone wants it to be. You can claim your xian bible is word-for-word true, so your god is the god of the xian bible. I don't use the word in serious conversations with serious people. Try saying "god is nothing". It's nonsense. Try saying "god is everything". Still nonsense. Try to be specific. It's still nonsense. Your god is nothing but a shrill infantile tantrum of contempt for intellectual achievement.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#1506  Postby Johnny Blade » Jan 31, 2024 9:29 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Us? Coming from? What is it you're on about? Not just us, Johnny. Everything. What's so important about "us"? Especially if this is the kind of conversation you'd urge "us" to have. With that, we see you're just all about anthropocentric theism. Fuck off with that. Humans are important only to themselves and their cats.

You seem to be the one who wants to talk about "god", but still you ask someone else to feed you your lines. Otherwise, god is whatever anyone wants it to be. You can claim your xian bible is word-for-word true, so your god is the god of the xian bible. I don't use the word in serious conversations with serious people. Try saying "god is nothing". It's nonsense. Try saying "god is everything". Still nonsense. Try to be specific. It's still nonsense. Your god is nothing but a shrill infantile tantrum of contempt for intellectual achievement.

Woooah! Calm down son! Calm down.

Johnny Blade

Russia (ru)
Print view this post

#1507  Postby Johnny Blade » Jan 31, 2024 11:14 am

romansh wrote:
Tell me what you mean by God

A creator intellect outside of the physical realm, who made us conscious, freewill beings that have the ability to love or hate, formed in a specific, physical image.

romansh wrote:... personally, I am quite comfortable with some kind of ignosticism or theological non-cognitivism.

How about some kind of pantheism where our cosmos and god are the same thing?

For all practical purposes, atheism is pantheism. No one believes the universe was made in a factory somewhere in China. Theists and Atheists both appeal to the supernatural as being the ultimate origin of our existence. Don't they?

Look at Cito. His god is an undefined, oblivion. And that's where his god is leading him. The center of black hole. And so he says humans are unimportant. That wasn't a slip up. That's what he really believes. Terrible. Maybe he will change someday.
Johnny Blade

Russia (ru)
Print view this post

#1508  Postby Johnny Blade » Jan 31, 2024 12:34 pm

The Atheists constant insistence,
Is that a fart made us into exsistence.
Their thinking, you see,
Is broken severely
And they mock theism with a persistence.

:D
Johnny Blade

Russia (ru)
Print view this post

#1509  Postby Fenrir » Jan 31, 2024 1:18 pm

You also suck at limericks
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#1510  Postby Johnny Blade » Jan 31, 2024 2:23 pm

Fenrir wrote:You also suck at limericks

Fenrir felt a bit gass-y
So he shot a fart out of his ass-y
then galaxies formed
and then we were born
Thats what happens when you eat too much curr-y
Johnny Blade

Russia (ru)
Print view this post

#1511  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 31, 2024 3:11 pm

Johnny Blade wrote:
Look at Cito. His god is an undefined, oblivion. And that's where his god is leading him. The center of black hole. And so he says humans are unimportant. That wasn't a slip up.

I said "humans are important only to themselves" (and their cats, of course). Don't misrepresent my statements, because there are rules here against doing that. In your blitheringly stupid theistic universe humans are important to god, but you need to do more than just believe in god, Johnny, and write blitheringly stupid limericks, in order to convert anyone. Get busy.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#1512  Postby romansh » Jan 31, 2024 6:16 pm

Johnny Blade wrote:
A creator intellect outside of the physical realm, who made us conscious, freewill beings that have the ability to love or hate, formed in a specific, physical image.

And how do you rationally reason your way to this position?

Johnny Blade wrote:For all practical purposes, atheism is pantheism. No one believes the universe was made in a factory somewhere in China. Theists and Atheists both appeal to the supernatural as being the ultimate origin of our existence. Don't they?

Pantheists may well believe the universe/cosmos always was and always will be. Much like your intelligent creator god.
If we define 'supernatural' as beyond the physical realm, then I don't think atheists appeal to the supernatural.

So how does your creator god fart the universe into existence?
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#1513  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 31, 2024 6:37 pm

Johnny Blade wrote:
For all practical purposes...

You can stop right there, in order to attempt to explain how theology has any practical application. Theology, son, is metaphysics, and not at all practical for that very reason. You should seriously look into understanding the relata of a property-exemplification nexus.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#1514  Postby Johnny Blade » Jan 31, 2024 6:38 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Johnny Blade wrote:
Look at Cito. His god is an undefined, oblivion. And that's where his god is leading him. The center of black hole. And so he says humans are unimportant. That wasn't a slip up.

I said "humans are important only to themselves" (and their cats, of course). Don't misrepresent my statements, because there are rules here against doing that. In your blitheringly stupid theistic universe humans are important to god, but you need to do more than just believe in god, Johnny, and write blitheringly stupid limericks, in order to convert anyone. Get busy.

First I need you to apologize to whoever you've been fighting with (maybe your mom or dad? Whoever was around to put up with your bullshit) Then go to bed early and in the morning I'll arrange for you a way to make a small donation to my church. If you aint got the money, I'll pay it for you. Then I will convert you. It only takes about a minute and I can do it over the phone.

Im not sure what time zone you are in so you can send me a pm and we can work out the details if you are interested. Don't expect me to wait around for too long because you dont deserve it.
Johnny Blade

Russia (ru)
Print view this post

#1515  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm

Johnny Blade wrote:you can send me a pm and we can work out the details

... and you can go take a flying fuck at a rolling purple donut...

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#1516  Postby Johnny Blade » Jan 31, 2024 6:54 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:

You sure?
Johnny Blade

Russia (ru)
Print view this post

#1517  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 31, 2024 7:06 pm

Johnny Blade wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

You sure?

I've listened to a lot of proselytizing, face to face. Do you really imagine you have anything new to tell me? But hey, that's what they all imagine. This is what should have done it, right?

Johnny Blade wrote:

I was really hoping you'd sport something a little more creative than this. You can read the thread "On idealism, repeated" to see how much of your brand of bullshit this forum has seen, all of it (as banal and boring as it was) is still better than anything I've seen from you. You really have to be dense to use words like "outside the physical realm", and that's because outside and inside are physical constraints. Maybe you meant "athwart the physical realm", but your vocabulary wasn't up to it.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#1518  Postby Johnny Blade » Jan 31, 2024 7:42 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:

I've listened to a lot of proselytizing, face to face. Do you really imagine you have anything new to tell me? But hey, that's what they all imagine. This is what should have done it, right?

Johnny Blade wrote:

I was really hoping you'd sport something a little more creative than this. You can read the thread "On idealism, repeated" to see how much of your brand of bullshit this forum has seen, all of it (as banal and boring as it was) is still better than anything I've seen from you. You really have to be dense to use words like "outside the physical realm", and that's because outside and inside are physical constraints. Maybe you meant "athwart the physical realm", but your vocabulary wasn't up to it.

Johnny Blade

Russia (ru)
Print view this post

#1519  Postby romansh » Jan 31, 2024 7:47 pm

Johnny Blade wrote:Image

And ...?
romansh

Print view this post

#1520  Postby THWOTH » Feb 01, 2024 12:27 am

I just don't believe you or your fellow travellers Johnny. I don't even need you to decide if I have a better explanation for whatever, or not. Doesn't change the fact that I don't believe you or your ilk. That's all my atheism is. You could sum it up like this...

"Religion?"
"Nah."
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism