PZ Myers on Pharyngula accuses Michael Shermer of rape.

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: PZ Myers on Pharyngula accuses Michael Shermer of rape.

#221  Postby Rumraket » Aug 12, 2013 4:42 am

:holysheep:

I now believe in god, because that post made me think that it is not only possible but plausible there can be a mind in the absense of a physical brain. Whoever wrote that has a philosophical void in their skull.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#222  Postby Pebble » Aug 12, 2013 6:07 am

Nicko wrote:
Pebble wrote:May I recommend Susan Brownmiller 'Against Our Will' for an overview of why rape victims have done particularly badly in the criminal justice system over the years.

The central thesis of which is the ludicrously bigoted idea that rape is, "a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear".

It is not a serious sociological work. It is a paranoid, hysterical polemic characterised by baseless assertions and wild speculation. As an "overview of why rape victims have done particularly badly in the criminal justice system over the years" it is all but useless.

As a means to understanding the mindset of the kind of halfwit who thinks the credibility of rape victims would be increased by reducing the burden of proof in the courts to the level of the Salem Witch Trials, it is somewhat more useful.

So she was an activist not a scientist - however at least she took the time to research the subject.

Perhaps since you know so much about the subject you would care to explain why rape was prosecuted as an offence against a man's property for most of history, more recently against the state rather than the victim and the very recent processes leading to judicial reform that gave rise to the current fairer system.

Or perhaps you feel that the current treatment of women in the more repressive islamic cultures is not a form of conscious intimidation, given that women were treated similarly in European and US law until the last centurary (even if enforcement had changed since the Enlightenment).
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#223  Postby Nicko » Aug 12, 2013 7:27 am

Pebble wrote:
Nicko wrote:
Pebble wrote:May I recommend Susan Brownmiller 'Against Our Will' for an overview of why rape victims have done particularly badly in the criminal justice system over the years.

The central thesis of which is the ludicrously bigoted idea that rape is, "a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear".

It is not a serious sociological work. It is a paranoid, hysterical polemic characterised by baseless assertions and wild speculation. As an "overview of why rape victims have done particularly badly in the criminal justice system over the years" it is all but useless.

As a means to understanding the mindset of the kind of halfwit who thinks the credibility of rape victims would be increased by reducing the burden of proof in the courts to the level of the Salem Witch Trials, it is somewhat more useful.

So she was an activist not a scientist - however at least she took the time to research the subject.

But badly, so very badly.

For example, she says on page two that she knows of no instance of animals engaging in forcible intercourse in the wild as support for her assertion that it was invented as a weapon by human males. That assertion had been known to be false for a couple of decades when Brownmiller made it.

One would think, for example, that Brownmiller's alleged four years of "research" on violent sexual behaviour might have at the very least involve a glance through Patterns of Sexual Behaviour (1951). The title alone would seem to leap out at someone researching the subject.

But it is nice that you have conceded that the book is a personal polemic designed to further the author's political goals and not an objective work of scholarship designed to inform. Which is all I was really saying.

Pebble wrote:Perhaps since you know so much about the subject you would care to explain why rape was prosecuted as an offence against a man's property for most of history and the very recent processes leading to judicial reform that gave rise to the current fairer system.

Well, I would argue that the traditional legal relationship between a man and the women he was held responsible for was closer to that of guardian and ward rather than owner and slave, but that would seem to be extremely OT for this thread. Perhaps you could start one in which it would not be.

Such a thread would also seem to be the place to ask why - if all men consciously want all women to live in constant fear of rape and benefit from the fact that they do - rape has traditionally been punished with a severity equal only to that of murder.

Among other questions.

Pebble wrote:Or perhaps you feel that the current treatment of women in the more repressive islamic cultures is not a form of conscious intimidation, given that women were treated similarly in European and US law until the last centurary (even if enforcement had changed since the Enlightenment).

In some cases, I am sure that some women in the more repressive Islamic cultures - in any culture for that matter - are consciously intimidated in some instances. On others it is far from clear that repressive and sexist treatment of women has a basis in malevolence. Most sexism against women is justified under the banner of "protecting" them.

Chivalry - the idea that men have a duty to protect women - and chauvinism - the idea that men should have authority over women - are the two sides of the same coin. They mutually support each other.

But that's probably best dealt with in another thread.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#224  Postby Pebble » Aug 12, 2013 7:41 am

Nicko wrote:
For example, she says on page two that she knows of no instance of animals engaging in forcible intercourse in the wild as support for her assertion that it was invented as a weapon by human males. That assertion had been known to be false for a couple of decades when Brownmiller made it.

One would think, for example, that Brownmiller's alleged four years of "research" on violent sexual behaviour might have at the very least involve a glance through Patterns of Sexual Behaviour (1951). The title alone would seem to leap out at someone researching the subject.

But it is nice that you have conceded that the book is a personal polemic designed to further the author's political goals and not an objective work of scholarship designed to inform. Which is all I was really saying.

So she didn't know about animal rape - therefore one can dismiss all other data - very objective.

Nicko wrote:
Well, I would argue that the traditional legal relationship between a man and the women he was held responsible for was closer to that of guardian and ward rather than owner and slave, but that would seem to be extremely OT for this thread. Perhaps you could start one in which it would not be.

Really? So the agitation to dismantle a patriarcial societial structure is not relevant to the current backlash, where activists are happy to hurt innocent people if it gets them what they want?
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#225  Postby MisterScruffles » Aug 12, 2013 7:47 am

Pebble wrote:
Perhaps since you know so much about the subject you would care to explain why rape was prosecuted as an offence against a man's property for most of history, more recently against the state rather than the victim and the very recent processes leading to judicial reform that gave rise to the current fairer system.

Which of the many societies are you talking about here? In Ancient Rome, for example, the crime of rape was described in the Lex Julia de vi publica, and it was a crime against a person. At most points in Roman history, it carried a penalty of death or amputation of the offending member.

Pebble wrote:
Or perhaps you feel that the current treatment of women in the more repressive islamic cultures is not a form of conscious intimidation, given that women were treated similarly in European and US law until the last centurary (even if enforcement had changed since the Enlightenment).

As with your previous paragraph, this has absolutely nothing to do with the present status or Mr. Myers accusations.

Pebble wrote:
So she didn't know about animal rape - therefore one can dismiss all other data - very objective.

Her statement showed a reckless disregard for the truth. It raises questions as to whether she exhibited the same level of care in the rest of her work.
MisterScruffles

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#226  Postby DaveDodo007 » Aug 12, 2013 7:56 am

Nicko wrote:
Pebble wrote:
Nicko wrote:

But badly, so very badly.

Pebble wrote:Perhaps since you know so much about the subject you would care to explain why rape was prosecuted as an offence against a man's property for most of history and the very recent processes leading to judicial reform that gave rise to the current fairer system.

Such a thread would also seem to be the place to ask why - if all men consciously want all women to live in constant fear of rape and benefit from the fact that they do - rape has traditionally been punished with a severity equal only to that of murder.

Among other questions.

Pebble wrote:Or perhaps you feel that the current treatment of women in the more repressive islamic cultures is not a form of conscious intimidation, given that women were treated similarly in European and US law until the last centurary (even if enforcement had changed since the Enlightenment).

In some cases, I am sure that some women in the more repressive Islamic cultures - in any culture for that matter - are consciously intimidated in some instances. On others it is far from clear that repressive and sexist treatment of women has a basis in malevolence. Most sexism against women is justified under the banner of "protecting" them.

Chivalry - the idea that men have a duty to protect women - and chauvinism - the idea that men should have authority over women - are the two sides of the same coin. They mutually support each other.

"For example, she says on page two that she knows of no instance of animals engaging in forcible intercourse in the wild as support for her assertion that it was invented as a weapon by human males."

Anybody who states this in a book knows fuck all about biology or evolution. This sentence alone shows she doesn't know what she is talking about and has done no research what so ever. She is lying and has a agenda and can just fuck off, anybody who reads this book after that sentence and takes it seriously is a halfwit.
As long as your ideology identifies the main source of the world's ills as a definable group, it opens the world up to genocide. -Steven Pinker.
DaveDodo007
Banned Troll

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#227  Postby Calilasseia » Aug 12, 2013 8:17 am

DaveDodo007 wrote:For example, she says on page two that she knows of no instance of animals engaging in forcible intercourse in the wild as support for her assertion that it was invented as a weapon by human males. That assertion had been known to be false for a couple of decades when Brownmiller made it.

Heh, I've known about instances of rape in insects for some time. Male Scorpion flies have a special anatomical feature whose sole observable purpose is to render the female immobile during copulation. Plus, anyone who has observed Mallard Ducks in action pretty quickly comes to the conclusion that female Mallards endure rape during the mating season.

DaveDodo007 wrote: ne would think, for example, that Brownmiller's alleged four years of "research" on violent sexual behaviour might have at the very least involve a glance through Patterns of Sexual Behaviour (1951). The title alone would seem to leap out at someone researching the subject.

I would consider a 'glance' at this work to be insufficient. Thorough study thereof is more like it.

DaveDodo007 wrote:But it is nice that you have conceded that the book is a personal polemic designed to further the author's political goals and not an objective work of scholarship designed to inform. Which is all I was really saying.

Oh, there's no doubt that Brownmiller is a polemicist. I gather several feminists distance themselves from her writings.

DaveDodo007 wrote:

Among other questions.

Someone above has already cited Roman law as an exception to the 'property' view of rape law.

DaveDodo007 wrote:
Pebble wrote:Or perhaps you feel that the current treatment of women in the more repressive islamic cultures is not a form of conscious intimidation, given that women were treated similarly in European and US law until the last century (even if enforcement had changed since the Enlightenment).

Ironic that the likes of Emmeline Pankhurst, through her actions, along with numerous other Suffragettes, destroyed the "delicate little flowers" myth, only for some self-declared "feminists" in the A+ camp to seek to resurrect it.

DaveDodo007 wrote:"For example, she says on page two that she knows of no instance of animals engaging in forcible intercourse in the wild as support for her assertion that it was invented as a weapon by human males."

Anybody who states this in a book knows fuck all about biology or evolution. This sentence alone shows she doesn't know what she is talking about and has done no research what so ever.

I refer everyone to those Scorpion Flies again.

DaveDodo007 wrote:She is lying and has a agenda and can just fuck off, anybody who reads this book after that sentence and takes it seriously is a halfwit.

I'm reminded here of a part of Douglas Hofstadter's Gödel, Escher, Bach, in which he describes the process of virus infection of cells and virus replication. During this exposition, he erected the analogy that, courtesy of injecting their genetic material into host cells, and hijacking the celll's reproductive machinery for their own use, viruses commit rape on the nano-scale.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#228  Postby Emmeline » Aug 12, 2013 8:22 am

Calilasseia wrote: Ironic that the likes of Emmeline Pankhurst, through her actions, along with numerous other Suffragettes, destroyed the "delicate little flowers" myth, only for some self-declared "feminists" in the A+ camp to seek to resurrect it.

Exactly - any adult who complains that someone kept filling their drink is absolving their own responsibility for drinking it.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#229  Postby Nicko » Aug 12, 2013 8:24 am

Pebble wrote:So she didn't know about animal rape - therefore one can dismiss all other data - very objective.

Not what I said. That was merely an example of one of the badly-researched statements in a book you assert is well-researched.

Pebble wrote:
Nicko wrote:Well, I would argue that the traditional legal relationship between a man and the women he was held responsible for was closer to that of guardian and ward rather than owner and slave, but that would seem to be extremely OT for this thread. Perhaps you could start one in which it would not be.

Really? So the agitation to dismantle a patriarcial societial structure is not relevant to the current backlash, where activists are happy to hurt innocent people if it gets them what they want?

I think we're getting way off the reservation here.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#230  Postby Calilasseia » Aug 12, 2013 8:29 am

Emmeline wrote:
Calilasseia wrote: Ironic that the likes of Emmeline Pankhurst, through her actions, along with numerous other Suffragettes, destroyed the "delicate little flowers" myth, only for some self-declared "feminists" in the A+ camp to seek to resurrect it.

Exactly - any adult who complains that someone kept filling their drink is absolving their own responsibility for drinking it.

I have this amusing mental vision of La Pankhurst rising from the grave, specifically to take the likes of Rebecca Watson by the scruff of the neck, drag her into a corner, and then say "And now, young miss, I shall impart to you some much needed facts of life ..." :mrgreen:
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#231  Postby Briton » Aug 12, 2013 8:36 am

He made sure my wine glass stayed full.

While she was compelled to keep emptying it?
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#232  Postby Regina » Aug 12, 2013 8:40 am

Briton wrote:
He made sure my wine glass stayed full.

While she was compelled to keep emptying it?

His powers of coercion are such that a little woman can do nothing but comply.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#233  Postby Rumraket » Aug 12, 2013 8:49 am

Pulsar wrote:This just gets better and better. PZ has updated his blog post:

PZ wrote:Women are still writing into me with their personal stories. This one isn’t so awful, but it’s mainly illustrative of his tactics…there’s nothing here that would form the basis of any kind of serious complaint, but most importantly, I think, it tells you exactly what kind of behavior to watch out for with him.

Michael Shermer was the guest of honor at an atheist event I attended in Fall 2006; I was on the Board of the group who hosted it. It’s a very short story: I got my book signed, then at the post-speech party, Shermer chatted with me at great length while refilling my wine glass repeatedly. I lost count of how many drinks I had. He was flirting with me and I am non-confrontational and unwilling to be rude, so I just laughed it off. He made sure my wine glass stayed full.

And that’s the entirety of my story: Michael Shermer helped get me drunker than I normally get, and was a bit flirty. I can’t recall the details because I was intoxicated. I don’t remember how I left, but I am told that a friend took me away from the situation and home from the party. Note, I’d never gotten drunk at any atheist event before; I was humiliated by having gotten so drunk and even more ashamed that my friends had to cart me off before anything happened to me.

But I had a bad taste in my mouth about Shermer’s flirtatiousness, because I’m married, and I thought he was kind of a pig. I didn’t even keep his signed book, I didn’t want it near me.

continues

He refilled her glass and flirted? That's your case? Are you kidding me??? :rofl:

Paying for/providing drinks and flirting is now a "tactic" to watch out for?

Must.Not.Smash.Face.Into.Rock.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#234  Postby OlivierK » Aug 12, 2013 8:51 am

Emmeline wrote:
natselrox wrote: For every post defaming Shermer that you can see on the internet, I can show you one calling PZ and/or the accuser a liar.

This shouldn't even BE on the internet - it's an accusation of a very serious crime which should be in the courts so the accused can get a fair trial.

I'm not sure what that would achieve. If the rape never happened, and the court system worked perfectly, Shermer would be found not guilty. And if it did happen as described, and the court system worked perfectly, Shermer would be found not guilty unless he plead guilty, as the there is no suggestion that there is sufficient evidence to obtain a conviction.

It's a shitty situation that, as Nicko has pointed out, is a consequence of the nature of the crime, which leaves no physical evidence except in the most violent cases, and the vast majority of the time is not witnessed. If this case was as described, then the alleged victim's best chance at obtaining worthwhile evidence would have been to have called the police or presented to a hospital and had a blood alcohol test and a forensic medical examination. Without contemporary evidence or witnesses, the courts have been rendered useless as an arbiter of this case.

Also, contrary to most here it seems, I think that repeatedly refilling someone's glass without asking them first and without explicitly indicating that you are doing so is a seriously creepy thing to do. To proposition someone whose glass you've been repeatedly refilling in such a manner is a seriously rapey thing to do. To do the first as part of a plan to facilitate the second is criminally predatory, regardless of the intrinsic difficulty in obtaining convictions for such criminality.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#235  Postby NineBerry » Aug 12, 2013 8:59 am

Nicko wrote:

Maybe you can quote the relevant paragraphs so we can validate your claim. It's not as if quoting people out of context is seldom in political debates.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#236  Postby Beatrice » Aug 12, 2013 9:00 am

Emmeline wrote:

+1
Phew... for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself.....
"GOD" is an acronym which stands for "GOD Over Djinn".
Beatrice
RS Donator

Name:
Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#237  Postby NineBerry » Aug 12, 2013 9:02 am

Calilasseia wrote:
Someone above has already cited Roman law as an exception to the 'property' view of rape law.

The victim's consent was usually not a factor in Roman rape cases, since raptus could refer to a successful seduction as well as abduction or forced sex. What had been violated was primarily the right of the head of household (paterfamilias) to give or withhold his consent. The consequences of an abduction or an elopement were considered a private matter to be determined by the couple and their families, who might choose to recognize the marriage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... cient_Rome
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#238  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Aug 12, 2013 9:04 am

Refilling drinks isn't always an innocent action, arguing over whether it is actually plays into their (PZ and supporters) hands.

But even if he is forcing women to drink at these meetings, gather the evidence and give it to the police. If it's not good enough for them, its hard to imagine being solid enough to reveal on your blog.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#239  Postby Emmeline » Aug 12, 2013 9:07 am

OlivierK wrote: Also, contrary to most here it seems, I think that repeatedly refilling someone's glass without asking them first and without explicitly indicating that you are doing so is a seriously creepy thing to do. To proposition someone whose glass you've been repeatedly refilling in such a manner is a seriously rapey thing to do. To do the first as part of a plan to facilitate the second is criminally predatory, regardless of the intrinsic difficulty in obtaining convictions for such criminality.

Really? We're talking about adults here aren't we? If someone refills your glass & you don't want it then don't drink it! If you don't want someone to keep refilling your glass then stop drinking it! If you keep drinking the booze that a person is giving you then you're sending a message that you're OK with it. If someone flirts with you & you don't like it then move away! If you don't then you're signalling that you're OK with the flirting. If someone who's been flirting with you then propositions you after you've been drinking & talking with them & signalling you're happy to be with them then so what? That's what people do - all the bloody time! If you're in a safe environment then it's not creepy or rapey, it's part of adult human behaviour & we all learn to navigate our way around these social incidents without having a hissy fit & blaming other people if we choose to drink too much.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#240  Postby NineBerry » Aug 12, 2013 9:10 am

Emmeline wrote:

So when there is society X where it is known that women leaving the house without covering their head are risking being raped, it is a woman's responsibility when she is raped while walking the streets without her head being covered. And when she then goes public we don't deride the rapist but instead lecture her about how -as an adult- she could have made the decision not to leave the house or at least cover herself.

Men as well as women are completely in their own right to get drunk. And when then someone takes advantage of that situation, he or she (the abuser) is the bad guy. And when we hear that someone regularly takes advantage of drunk women, we should be asking him to explain himself and not lecture women about watching what they drink, wear or say, because obviously drinking, wearing or saying the wrong things means it is your own fault when you get raped.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism