Raising Children Outside Religion

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Raising Children Outside Religion

#1  Postby UnifiedDeism » Jul 15, 2013 9:51 pm

I was recently asked how does one raise a child without religion. I recommended that we teach children:

- the story and science behind the Big Bang because the truth is so much more powerful than the Bible's Genesis story;

- that love is the noblest and most important element of human relationships;

- to never stop learning and experiencing new things because it keeps life fresh;

- to realize their are no sacred cows because all of life must be critically examined;

- to challenge dogma in all facets of life because no one way is the only way;

- to rely on their reason and inner strength because it will shield them against peer pressure and group think;

- to adapt their thinking when reason dictates;

- to live authentically and to honestly express themselves because the individual is more important than any ideology;

- to advance the human condition within their personal capacity to do so;

- to take responsibility for their actions;

- to connect with themselves, with other people, and with the universe;

- to deal with others honestly and justly, guided by compassion and respect;

- to teach others what they have learned because that is the best way to internalize the lessons for themselves;

- to live their lives as an example for others to follow because that is the deepest expression of their convictions.

As always, I welcome your thoughts and ideas.
Deism is the conclusion that God likely exists based on reason, experience, and observation of the natural universe. Deists reject special revelation as a credible source for God’s existence.
UnifiedDeism

Name: Dave Gaddis

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Raising Children Outside Religion

#2  Postby chairman bill » Jul 15, 2013 10:21 pm

I can't really argue with any of that
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Macdoc » Jul 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Could do without a submissive girl photo....

this works

or this

original is too patriarchal

Of course this too....

Content is good - I just sort of stayed out of the way of mine and gave them the opportunity to learn and explore.
Religion was something sort of weird for them that other people did....still is.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Shrunk » Jul 16, 2013 12:05 am

Nothing to it really. Just don't do any religious stuff. I've never had to think about raising my kids without religion
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Onyx8 » Jul 16, 2013 12:06 am

So you wouldn't bother mentioning your conception of the deistic god then?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby orpheus » Jul 16, 2013 12:59 am

Lots of good stuff so far.

I'd add this: because we only have limited control over things in life (not nearly as much as we'd like), what happens to you isn't as important as what you do with it.*

*Now, nearing 50, I find this lesson both harder and more important than ever before. I guess my midife crisis is right on schedule. :?
Last edited by orpheus on Jul 16, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby amok » Jul 16, 2013 1:09 am

I disagree with this one...
- that love is the noblest and most important element of human relationships;

... but I agree the rest are well thought out.
amok
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Macdoc » Jul 16, 2013 1:31 am

nope - not unless it came up
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Onyx8 » Jul 16, 2013 2:20 am

Macdoc wrote:

nope - not unless it came up

And then?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Macdoc » Jul 16, 2013 2:32 am

ask then what they thought of it.
I'm not into inculcating kids with what I think.
They likely absorbed a reasonably amount of anti-theism but that's not hard to develop either :coffee:
Last edited by Macdoc on Jul 16, 2013 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Onyx8 » Jul 16, 2013 3:10 am

Macdoc wrote:ask then what they thought of it.
I'm in inculcating kids with what I think.
They likely absorbed a reasonably amount of anti-theism but that's not hard to develop either :coffee:

Not sure what you meant there. Perhaps dropped a "not" and an 'into". I think I agree, regardless, my comment was directed at the OP who apparently believes in some form of deism but doesn't mention it above.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 16, 2013 3:18 am

Shrunk wrote:Nothing to it really. Just don't do any religious stuff. I've never had to think about raising my kids without religion

I'm guessing you don't have any close relatives that tried to teach it to them?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Macdoc » Jul 16, 2013 3:28 am

Depends on the age but I think past 8 most kids recognize the bullshit for what it is and roll their eyes unless they are within a fundie community...then it's child abuse.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 16, 2013 4:37 am

Macdoc wrote:Depends on the age but I think past 8 most kids recognize the bullshit for what it is and roll their eyes unless they are within a fundie community...then it's child abuse.

If I can just keep my parents away from them until age 8 I'll be all set :mrgreen:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 16, 2013 7:19 am

Why mention religion?

I never did when my kids grew up. My daughters best friend was a Welsh Methodist minister's daughter. I just told it is what they did. No problems.

Don't make a point about it. I agree dont bring children without religion just ignore it as it is not part of their lives.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Arnold Layne » Jul 16, 2013 7:36 am

UnifiedDeism, you sound more like an atheist all the time! :thumbup:
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby chairman bill » Jul 16, 2013 8:18 am

Arnold Layne wrote:UnifiedDeism, you sound more like an atheist all the time! :thumbup:

But his deism is tantamount to pantheism, which is just sexed up atheism anyway :smile:
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Agrippina » Jul 16, 2013 9:36 am

I just treated religion in the same way I treated every other big question: I waited until they asked questions then either answered them truthfully, if I knew the answers, or bought a book for them to read about it. I gave them books, books and more books, and encouraged them to read anything they wanted to read. The Bible was on the shelf with all the other books, they could read it if they wanted. They didn't, said it was boring. There was also a book called "Cults and new religions" and a lot of books about history, I have one called "Vanished Civilisations." So by the time they were confronted by teachers at school preaching about the world being 6,000 years old, they were armed with information about civilisations that predated the biblical nonsense, and they argued about it. If you don't make it a big deal, they won't. I didn't actively tell them they weren't allowed to do religion, just didn't do it myself, so neither did they. When they were teenagers and were interested in the philosophical ideas of religion, I took them to a church service so they could experience. The reaction was "boring, stupid, nonsense."
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#19  Postby UnifiedDeism » Jul 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Arnold Layne wrote:UnifiedDeism, you sound more like an atheist all the time! :thumbup:

I still believe in God, but I don't see the need to push it on anyone :grin:
Deism is the conclusion that God likely exists based on reason, experience, and observation of the natural universe. Deists reject special revelation as a credible source for God’s existence.
UnifiedDeism

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby UnifiedDeism » Jul 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Macdoc wrote:Could do without a submissive girl photo....

this works

or this

original is too patriarchal

Of course this too....

Content is good - I just sort of stayed out of the way of mine and gave them the opportunity to learn and explore.
Religion was something sort of weird for them that other people did....still is.

Great point. I wish I would have found those before I posted! :oops:
UnifiedDeism

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Nontheism