Stuart Kauffman on Beyond Reductionism

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Stuart Kauffman on Beyond Reductionism

#1  Postby NoFreeWill » Aug 16, 2013 6:42 am

Stuart Kauffman who describes himself as an atheist says "it is more astonishing that universe exists without a creator"!

We have a radical incapacity to say how the biosphere and technology will evolve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... I5mYDUARY4
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.
Michel de Montaigne
NoFreeWill

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Stuart Kauffman on Beyond Reductionism

#2  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 16, 2013 7:24 am

:coffee:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Rumraket » Aug 17, 2013 1:06 pm

Man, he really does talk alot on an extremely diverse range of topics in a short time, it's hard to say anything about it without knowing more about what he means specifically and for what reasons.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#4  Postby Michael66 » Aug 17, 2013 2:27 pm

NoFreeWill wrote:Stuart Kauffman who describes himself as an atheist says "it is more astonishing that universe exists without a creator"!

Is that another way of saying that it seems less likely that a universe comes into existence in the absence of a creator :naughty2:
Michael66
Banned User

Name: Michael

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Arnold Layne » Aug 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Michael66 wrote:
NoFreeWill wrote:Stuart Kauffman who describes himself as an atheist says "it is more astonishing that universe exists without a creator"!

Is that another way of saying that it seems less likely that a universe comes into existence in the absence of a creator :naughty2:

Clutching at straws, Michael? :lol:
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby farqlue » Aug 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Michael66 wrote:

With a big emphasis on "seems." From what I can gather it looks to be another book on why it is homo sapiens have such a tough time grasping scientific explanations of reality, and how it may be possible to integrate the superstitious side of our evolutionary legacy with the non-intuitive reality that science demonstrates.
farqlue

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Calilasseia » Aug 20, 2013 12:15 am

Arnold Layne wrote:
Michael66 wrote:

Clutching at straws, Michael? :lol:

If he's planning on erecting the fatuous "design" assertion here, I'll warn him in advance not to bother, because it's been nuked numerous times in the past.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby MrFungus420 » Aug 20, 2013 2:28 am

So what?

He's also clueless enough to say that secular humanists are essentially atheists.
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

Return to Nontheism