TBQ: Should humanists have equal rights to religions?

First guy's fanatasies are hilarious.

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: TBQ: Should humanists have equal rights to religions?

#21  Postby bert » Mar 05, 2016 10:42 pm

Reality. More specifically, I got it from Dutch law: Art. I:68 of the Civil Law (which reads in Dutch that no religious ceremony is to be taken place before the marriage has been performed before a civil servant. ). There is even a fine if a priest or something does perform a marriage ceremony before this has been done.

Bert
Promote rational thought on religion by telling other people to download this free booklet. Read it yourself and you may well learn new arguments and a new approach to debunk religion
bert

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 06, 2016 8:48 am

bert wrote:Reality. More specifically, I got it from Dutch law: Art. I:68 of the Civil Law (which reads in Dutch that no religious ceremony is to be taken place before the marriage has been performed before a civil servant. ). There is even a fine if a priest or something does perform a marriage ceremony before this has been done.

Bert

What a ridiculous notion. :crazy:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 06, 2016 11:30 am

Direct from the Burgerlijk Wetboek:

Titel 5. Het huwelijk
Afdeling 4. De voltrekking van het huwelijk
Artikel 68
Geen godsdienstige plechtigheden zullen mogen plaats hebben, voordat de partijen aan de bedienaar van de eredienst zullen hebben doen blijken, dat het huwelijk ten overstaan van de ambtenaar van de burgerlijke stand is voltrokken.

Well it is the law as I always understood it.

Plenty of catholics when I came here would marry a year at the town hall before they had a religious bun feast and wear their rings on the right hand and changing over at the bun feast.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 06, 2016 12:20 pm

I know it's the law, I just don't see the point of it.
If religious ceremonies aren't legally binding anyway, who cares whether a couple has had one prior to registering at the city council?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#25  Postby bert » Mar 06, 2016 2:01 pm

Personally I think it is a good thing. Religious people have a tendency to think of their own religion as more important than the law. After all, they're following their god's laws, instead of some puny national law.

Bert
Promote rational thought on religion by telling other people to download this free booklet. Read it yourself and you may well learn new arguments and a new approach to debunk religion
bert

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 06, 2016 2:02 pm

bert wrote:Personally I think it is a good thing. Religious people have a tendency to think of their own religion as more important than the law. After all, they're following their god's laws, instead of some puny national law.

Bert

They can believe the earth's flat for all I care. Their religious ceremony still will have 0 impact on the validity of their marriage as far as the government's concerned.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 06, 2016 4:41 pm

I think it is a way of preventing the bun feast having more importance when the civil ceremony could even be forgotten about. :dunno:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 06, 2016 7:53 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I think it is a way of preventing the bun feast having more importance when the civil ceremony could even be forgotten about. :dunno:

See, that seems rather petty and insecure to me.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#29  Postby THWOTH » Apr 27, 2016 12:30 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:I know it's the law, I just don't see the point of it.
If religious ceremonies aren't legally binding anyway, who cares whether a couple has had one prior to registering at the city council?

I suppose the thinking was originally that authority comes from the state not from God.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby laklak » Apr 27, 2016 3:47 pm

No. Humanists should have more rights than the religious, by virtue of their superior brains. Libertarian humanists should have the most rights of all.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Nontheism