Teacher Sued

After Punishing Second-Grader for Being an Atheist

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Teacher Sued

#1  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 27, 2015 2:13 pm

Earlier this year at Forest Park Elementary School in Fort Wayne, Indiana, a second-grader known only as A.B. was asked by his classmate where he went to church:

A.B. responded by stating that he did not go to church and did not believe in God. He also stated that it was fine with him if his inquiring classmate believed in God.

Good answers, but they upset the girl who asked him and she began to cry. Eventually, their teacher Michelle Meyer stepped in to find out what happened and it resulted in her punishing A.B.!

Ms. Meyer told A.B. that she was very concerned about what he had done and that she was going to contact his mother — although she never did.

This was very upsetting to A.B. as he was made to feel that he had done something wrong.

It got worse after that:

On the day of the incident and for an additional two days thereafter, Ms. Meyer required that A.B. sit by himself during lunch and told him he should not talk to the other students and stated that this was because he had offended them. This served to reinforce A.B.’s feeling that he had committed some transgression that justified his exclusion.

All this because he dared to answer a question honestly.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/06/26/teacher-sued-after-punishing-second-grader-for-being-an-atheist/
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

School teacher sued for segregating 2nd-grade atheist

#2  Postby Veida » Jun 27, 2015 8:11 pm

I'm somewhat baffled by this story. What the teacher (allegedly) did makes no sense to me at all. Could someone explain to me why she thought the kid offended the other kids?

http://www.journalgazette.net/news/loca ... er-7378928
According to court documents, A.B. and his classmates were playing before lunch on the school’s playground Feb. 23. One of his classmates asked him if he went to church.

The boy told her he did not go to church and that he did not believe in God. According to court documents, this upset her, and she told him he hurt her feelings.

The playground supervisor reported it to Meyer, who asked A.B. about it before he went to lunch.

“Meyer asked A.B. if he told the girl that he did not believe in God, and A.B. said he had and asked what he had done wrong,” Falk wrote.

She then asked A.B. about his religious practices, where he went to church and whether his mother knew how he felt about God, according to court documents.

“She also asked A.B. if he believed that maybe God exists,” Falk wrote. “(She) told A.B. she was very concerned about what he had done and that she was going to contact his mother – although she never did.”

The day of the incident and for two days afterward, Meyer made A.B. sit by himself during lunch and told him not to talk to other students because he offended them, according to court documents.
Veida

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Re: School teacher sued for segregating 2nd-grade atheist

#3  Postby THWOTH » Jun 27, 2015 8:41 pm

Veida wrote: Could someone explain to me why she thought the kid offended the other kids?

Because she thought it might cause trouble if the other religious parents found out, and because she's a bit of a bully.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Peter Brown » Jun 27, 2015 8:52 pm

Our love is like a ship on the ocean
We've been sailing with a cargo full of, love and devotion

So I'd like to know where, you got the notion
Said I'd like to know where, you got the notion

To rock the boat, don't rock the boat, baby
Rock the boat, don't tip the boat over
Rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
Rock the boat-t-t-t-t

I'm sure no real African Americans were used in this news.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#5  Postby Veida » Jun 27, 2015 9:41 pm

THWOTH wrote:
Veida wrote: Could someone explain to me why she thought the kid offended the other kids?

Because she thought it might cause trouble if the other religious parents found out, and because she's a bit of a bully.

So you think she didn't actually think the kid offended the others, that she said it only to make him stop and to justify the punishment?
Veida

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#6  Postby THWOTH » Jun 27, 2015 10:47 pm

I don't know - it was only really a guess and an opinion based on a single source.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Veida » Jun 27, 2015 10:57 pm

It's just so alien to me that a teacher would do something like that to a child.
Veida

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Kuia » Jun 27, 2015 11:04 pm

We really have no idea what else happened. It is possible that AB did or said more things that have not been included.
He could have been a nasty little toad. We just don't know.
Kuia

Print view this post

#9  Postby Fenrir » Jun 27, 2015 11:07 pm

Some people just can't stand disagreement.

Had the same thing happen to spawn.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 27, 2015 11:43 pm

My guess would be she was scared of catching shit from parents and handled the situation very badly.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Veida » Jun 27, 2015 11:50 pm

Kuia wrote:We really have no idea what else happened. It is possible that AB did or said more things that have not been included.
He could have been a nasty little toad. We just don't know.
That's right. I'm assuming that the article isn't too far off, but that might be a bad assumption.

Is this a kind of punishment that they learn in teacher education?
Veida

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#12  Postby tolman » Jun 28, 2015 1:29 am

Veida wrote:I'm somewhat baffled by this story. What the teacher (allegedly) did makes no sense to me at all. Could someone explain to me why she thought the kid offended the other kids?

http://www.journalgazette.net/news/loca ... er-7378928
According to court documents, A.B. and his classmates were playing before lunch on the school’s playground Feb. 23. One of his classmates asked him if he went to church.

The boy told her he did not go to church and that he did not believe in God. According to court documents, this upset her, and she told him he hurt her feelings.

Seems that religious butthurt is something that is taught young.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#13  Postby Kuia » Jun 28, 2015 1:33 am

Veida wrote:

Is this a kind of punishment that they learn in teacher education?

To remove a child from a situation? yes indeed.
It's not a 'punishment', it's a management technique.
I am just wondering whether we have all the relevant information.
Kuia

Print view this post

#14  Postby Fenrir » Jun 28, 2015 1:48 am

Isolating a child and not allowing them play time while everyone else has fun is indeed a punishment.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#15  Postby THWOTH » Jun 28, 2015 9:31 am

So it would seem. Of course, removing a disruptive child is a reasonable short-term measure, but the article certainly paints it as an action relating specifically to the child's beliefs and/or domestic setting. Basically, being harshly treated for being who they are.
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby aban57 » Jun 28, 2015 11:08 am

Looks like she acted just as if the kid told others "No, Santa Claus doesn't exist !"
Same entities, same belief system, same reactions.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#17  Postby tolman » Jun 28, 2015 11:38 am

Children who don't want to find out that another child doesn't believe in Santa Claus shouldn't go around asking other children which grotto they go to.

I wonder what the teacher would have done if the boy had told the girl he believed in a different god and the girl had got upset by that?

Would she have isolated the boy for believing in the wrong god, or told the girl she didn't have a right to be upset as long as the boy believed in some form of god?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#18  Postby DanDare » Jun 28, 2015 1:01 pm

I'll be interested to see what happens with this.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 28, 2015 1:11 pm

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 28, 2015 1:12 pm

Veida wrote:It's just so alien to me that a teacher would do something like that to a child.

When I got bullied during my first year in highschool, my mentor suggested, during a consilliatory talk with the bullies, that I try to dress less different and try to make friends with my bullies.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Nontheism