The criticisms of tooltime9901 against the opposers of A+

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The criticisms of tooltime9901 against the opposers of A+

#1  Postby Lentes » Aug 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Hello everybody, this is my first post in this forum.

So we're all well aware of the fallacious arguments of the Atheism+ people and how they overreact to minute stuff. I mostly agree with thunderfoot's take on most of the events, but I came across a Youtuber who is trying (a little too hard in my opinion) to stay neutral to the whole thing, tooltime9901. While I have no doubt that there's something wrong with the A+ folk, I find some of this guy's criticisms to be worthy of discussion. For now, I'll just post the videos so you guys can watch.

So do you think his points are valid or is he being too neutral to seem better than everybody else?
Lentes

Name: Bruno
Male

Ecuador (ec)
Print view this post

Re: The criticisms of tooltime9901 against the opposers of A+

#2  Postby campermon » Aug 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Welcome to the forum Bruno!
:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby DaveDodo007 » Aug 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi Bruno, welcome.

How about you give us your take on each individual video and we'll take it from there. I do like his Anita S videos he is doing now though.
Last edited by DaveDodo007 on Aug 31, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As long as your ideology identifies the main source of the world's ills as a definable group, it opens the world up to genocide. -Steven Pinker.
DaveDodo007
Banned Troll

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Oldskeptic » Aug 30, 2013 11:22 pm

Lentes wrote:Hello everybody, this is my first post in this forum.

So we're all well aware of the fallacious arguments of the Atheism+ people and how they overreact to minute stuff. I mostly agree with thunderfoot's take on most of the events, but I came across a Youtuber who is trying (a little too hard in my opinion) to stay neutral to the whole thing, tooltime9901. While I have no doubt that there's something wrong with the A+ folk, I find some of this guy's criticisms to be worthy of discussion. For now, I'll just post the videos so you guys can watch.

So do you think his points are valid or is he being too neutral to seem better than everybody else?

Personally I think that the guy is a dickhead able to make youtube videos.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Made of Stars » Aug 31, 2013 2:04 am

Hi tooltime9901, welcome. :cheers:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Lentes » Aug 31, 2013 3:06 am

Made of Stars wrote:Hi tooltime9901, welcome. :cheers:

hahaha no I'm not tooltime!

I'll be posting my opinion on some points he made tomorrow! Thanks for the welcome guys!
Lentes

Name: Bruno
Male

Ecuador (ec)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 31, 2013 7:21 am

Lentes wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:Hi tooltime9901, welcome. :cheers:

hahaha no I'm not tooltime!

I'll be posting my opinion on some points he made tomorrow! Thanks for the welcome guys!

Lentes wrote:I find some of this guy's criticisms to be worthy of discussion.

And when you actually come back and explain why those criticisms are worthy of discussion, we'll have something to talk about. Other, that is, then the perennial notion that whenever somebody says something, we have to address it rhetorically. OK, let's play that game.

I don't see anything worthy of discussion. I see only a nobody trying to poke holes in the work of someone who's more well-known than the nobody is, and using accusations of 'hypocrisy' to ask how Atheism+ can be considered both inconsequential and threatening. In the first video, tooltime spends considerable effort showing off his confusion about the concepts of 'some feminists' and 'all feminists', a prominent venue in which some people take 'some' and 'all' to be synonyms.

If tooltime has any ideas about what we would better spend our time on, he hasn't put them on display for me. He tends to stop with platitudes about how all social problems should be addressed seriously. We have just another droning voice urging a Movement to focus on What's Important. Both the representatives of Atheism+ and tooltime, here, are focused on what the Movement should be doing, and all that's left there is shouting about who's going to lead the thing. I've seen it at CFI, too, that some people think they have an incipient political party. Maybe, someday, a non-theist will be King.

I like that you put this thread in non-theism, because even without God to kick around, there's still lots of room for woo. The first video is fascinating in that regard, as the first minutes of it review for us the buzzwords of trendy social theory, boundaries, community, parse, The Other, identity, cyber-balkanisation, investment, consequence, pseudonym, and so on.

Your thread title gives some more away, too, in the triviality of critiquing being against some species of against-ness. Is tooltime in favour of anything? I doubt it. It's the battle of the competing camps of groupthink. If you want to be in a Movement, then you have to sign up for some groupthink. If someone can't hack feminism without confusing the terms 'some' and 'all', it's not my problem.

Listen to ol' tooltime at about 7:40 in the first video: "I totally advocate Skepticism." You can hear the uppercase in his voice. You can also hear the voice of someone who finds that when some feminists are critiqued, the whole concept of feminism is being dissed. In what universe has it ever been shown that atheism has anything to do with solving social problems other than those induced by believing in an invisible friend who has a plan for the world?

:rofl:
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#8  Postby DaveDodo007 » Aug 31, 2013 11:55 am

Wow! Cito you make me seem nice. :lol:
As long as your ideology identifies the main source of the world's ills as a definable group, it opens the world up to genocide. -Steven Pinker.
DaveDodo007
Banned Troll

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#9  Postby lobawad » Aug 31, 2013 1:54 pm

Personally, I tend to doubt the value of any criticism that neither employs the word "mantwat" nor offers any cooking recipes.
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Name: Cameron Bobro

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

Return to Nontheism