The world according to Dickie Dawkins

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The world according to Dickie Dawkins

#1  Postby HomerJay » Sep 08, 2013 9:02 pm

Dawkins is fascinated by the way today’s transgressions might have been viewed differently not long ago. For instance, as a junior academic he went to the University of California at Berkeley for two years in the late Sixties, which gave him a ringside seat at the Summer of Love. He relates one vivid memory in his new memoir, An Appetite for Wonder:

“I was walking along Telegraph Avenue, axis of Berkeley’s beads-incense-and-marijuana culture. A young man was walking ahead of me, dressed in the insignia of the flower-power generation. Every time a young woman passed him, walking in the opposite direction, he would reach out and tweak one of her breasts. Far from slapping him, or crying, ‘Harassment!’, she would simply walk on by as if nothing had happened… Today I find this almost impossible to believe.”

He says he’s pleased how things have changed on the harassment front in the past 40 years. But on other occasions when that shifting moral zeitgeist rears its head – as boys, including him, are molested or beaten at his various boarding schools, for instance – he fails to be outraged. One master at his public school, Oundle, he writes, “was prone to fall in love with the prettier boys. He never, as far as we knew, went any further than to put an arm around them in class and make suggestive remarks, but nowadays that would probably be enough to land him in terrible trouble with the police – and tabloid-inflamed vigilantes.”

http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_arti ... the-times#
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The world according to Dickie Dawkins

#2  Postby Doubtdispelled » Sep 08, 2013 9:22 pm

From reading the entire article, it looks to me as though he might be stuck in Dear Muslima mode.
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#3  Postby pensioner » Sep 08, 2013 9:25 pm

If some guy had done that to my wife in the 60s he would be still speaking with a squeaky voice and walking with a limp.
There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Mick » Sep 09, 2013 3:06 pm

I used to grab women's butts in the clubs when I was a youth-about 21 or so. I didn't even know them. I wasn't too worried about violence, since I had 15 or so other guys with me. It also didn't occur to me whether i was demeaning women, or whether they would like it or not. I couldn't imagine doing that now, and I am only about ten years older. Tsk. Tsk. mick was not a good Catholic.
Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#5  Postby Arnold Layne » Sep 09, 2013 3:20 pm

Mick wrote:I used to grab women's butts in the clubs when I was a youth-about 21 or so. I didn't even know them. I wasn't too worried about violence, since I had 15 or so other guys with me. It also didn't occur to me whether i was demeaning women, or whether they would like it or not. I couldn't imagine doing that now, and I am only about ten years older. Tsk. Tsk. mick was not a good Catholic.

You should have become a priest. You sound excellent material.
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Emmeline » Sep 09, 2013 3:52 pm

I am coveting his table - if I win the lottery, I'm having one made!
Emmeline

Print view this post

#7  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 09, 2013 11:22 pm

I worked in a pub once the boss used to grab my butt. She was screwing us in the wages department also. Unfortunately for her, the cutting of wages was illegal because as bar apprentices the wages she paid us was subsidised. We staff reported her, and she got fined. I didn't bother about the butt-grabbing, as officially, it was less of a big deal then.
I don't think things have really changed, except "cosmetically". Most employers think that if they pay you a wage, they own your ass.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

Return to Nontheism