UK Scouts announce alternative promise for atheists

about bloody time!

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

UK Scouts announce alternative promise for atheists

#1  Postby Paul » Oct 08, 2013 7:11 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24434510

The Scout Association in the UK has announced an alternative version of its membership promise for young people who do not believe in God.

From January, instead of vowing "to do my duty to God", scouts will be able to promise to "uphold our scout values".

The new promise will exist alongside the core scout promise, which has remained unchanged for 106 years.

The Church of England and other faiths have welcomed the move, which follows a 10 month consultation.

But I just heard a most extraordinary comment from BBC Breakfast presenter Charlie Staidt, interviewing someone from the Scouts. He said something along the lines of it being difficult or unreasonable for children to decide what version of the promise they should make, and going home to ask their parents "What should I say? What do WE believe?" :roll:
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: UK Scouts announce alternative promise for atheists

#2  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 08, 2013 7:52 am

By that very logic they shouldn't be swearing to god and all should be using the scout values vow. That way no one has to ask their parents what their family believes when it comes to a god or gods.

I don't think the person who said that really thought it through at all and is basically stuck in the mindset that everyone is Christian.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Briton » Oct 08, 2013 8:11 am

What struck me was the statement about attracting more atheists. So not motivated by any need to tackle discrimination then? :roll:
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 08, 2013 8:14 am

Of the three scouting groups in the area here, only 1 is religious.
Don't see why it should be difficult to come up with an alternative promise, they can just copy one from the many secular scouting groups in the world.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Cthulhu's Trilby » Oct 08, 2013 10:53 am

When I was a Cub Scout I took the promise and did my duty to God as required.

The deity in question was Shub-Niggurath, The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young, who, whilst often capricious, was an undemanding god and could be relied upon to look after one in the wild.

But the dreams...
Cthulhu's Trilby

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Nontheism