Search for body of murder victim

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Search for body of murder victim

#1  Postby Will S » Mar 28, 2010 9:50 am

It's saddening to see that, once again, there's a search in progress for the remains of the Moors murder victim, Keith Bennett: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manc ... 591178.stm

In circumstances like these, it's commonplace for people who claim to have paranormal powers to identify the places where they believe the victim is buried. Some of them even claim (though the truth of these claims has been disputed) that the police ask them for their assistance.

So isn't this a case where believers in the existence of such paranormal powers could, very sensibly, make a concerted effort to assist in the search? If successful, they would bring a great measure of relief to the victim's mother (it's for her sake that the present search, funded by voluntary donations, is taking place), and they would also advance their own cause.

Alternatively (I don't know how to express this without sounding snide - but I don't mean to sound snide) if the use of paranormal powers isn't appropriate in a case like this, could some believer in paranormal powers explain why it isn't?
'To a thinking person, a paradox is what the smell of burning rubber is to an electrical engineer' - Sir Peter Medawar (adapted)
Will S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Search for body of murder victim

#2  Postby jerome » Jul 07, 2010 2:37 pm

If such things work it would be worthwhile, but one has to consider the moral framework. Firstly, to waste police resources with "psychic information" would be horrific. Secondly, to trouble the poor lad's distressed mother should result in a good kicking. Yet if someone had psychic information there is nothing to stop them uncovering the remains and bringing peace to the family themselves, without involving other parties. The fact that no psychic has done so (though a good few appear to have tried) may be telling in itself...

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby jerome » Jul 07, 2010 6:21 pm

Curiously having commented on this earlier while just reading through the forum i spotted this on Dr O keefe's facebook just now --
http://www.compassparanormalevents.co.u ... 4539329304
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Jul 07, 2010 6:24 pm

I think those parasites should be kept well out of investigation. In fact, if someone I know went missing I would snap if I heard one of those scumbags was on the case. There is no "paranormal", it's a complete load of hooey and these buffoons have been shown up time and again by sceptics. We should be pointing at them and laughing, not giving them a modicum of accountability.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Will S » Jul 10, 2010 3:08 pm

jerome wrote:If such things work it would be worthwhile, but one has to consider the moral framework. Firstly, to waste police resources with "psychic information" would be horrific. Secondly, to trouble the poor lad's distressed mother should result in a good kicking. Yet if someone had psychic information there is nothing to stop them uncovering the remains and bringing peace to the family themselves, without involving other parties. The fact that no psychic has done so (though a good few appear to have tried) may be telling in itself...

j x

Yes - very telling, I'd say.
'To a thinking person, a paradox is what the smell of burning rubber is to an electrical engineer' - Sir Peter Medawar (adapted)
Will S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural