Are Objectivists really advocates of reason?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Are Objectivists really advocates of reason?

Yes
20%
No
75%
Other
5%

Total votes : 20

Re: Are Objectivists really advocates of reason?

#21  Postby Kazaman » Jun 23, 2010 1:30 am

LiberalViewer (a YouTube user) wrote a very eloquent critique of objectivism during his university years.

You can read it here: http://www.liberalviewer.com/AynRand.htm
Kazaman

Name: Stephen
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#22  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 23, 2010 8:45 am

James, Kant sees the transcendental unity of apperception (TUA) as the thing which holds the whole show together. If not for it, then we would not have any consistent "I". The TUA is why whatever we think it could be accompanied by an "I think..." We don't experience in the self/"I". What we experience is a unified experience, and from this we can deduce the existence of a unified self.

This is really tricky stuff and I am not sufficiently clued-up about Kant to discuss it with any real authority. All I was doing was pointing out that Kant did indeed include "the I" in his thinking. He just gave it a long, complicated name and supported it with a mind-bendingly complicated argument, just like he did with everything else.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby jamest » Jun 24, 2010 12:01 am

UndercoverElephant wrote:James, Kant sees the transcendental unity of apperception (TUA) as the thing which holds the whole show together. If not for it, then we would not have any consistent "I". The TUA is why whatever we think it could be accompanied by an "I think..." We don't experience in the self/"I". What we experience is a unified experience, and from this we can deduce the existence of a unified self.

This is really tricky stuff and I am not sufficiently clued-up about Kant to discuss it with any real authority. All I was doing was pointing out that Kant did indeed include "the I" in his thinking. He just gave it a long, complicated name and supported it with a mind-bendingly complicated argument, just like he did with everything else.

You seem to have a high opinion of Kant. Elsewhere, I've seen you dismiss metaphysics because of Kant's philosophy. But the point is that this 'I' is ontologically significant (metaphysically significant)... and I don't see how Kant can reach his negative conclusion about metaphysics whilst simultaneously talking about something which both embraces and unifies experience as a whole.

I don't know enough about Kant to know where or how (if at all) he incorporates his idea of the TUA into his critique of reason. But if he doesn't incorporate the TUA into this particular discourse, then my initial post [to you] on this matter is still relevant. Likewise, if he does [incorporate...], then how did he fail to recognise that the TUA was metaphysically/ontologically significant (which would counter his own conclusion about metaphysics)?

I guess we both need to know more about what Kant said. Which means, perhaps, that you should withdraw your strong trust in his ultimate conclusion?

Anyway, this discussion doesn't have to be about what Kant thinks, per se. Your own thoughts on the matter are welcome.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#24  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 24, 2010 10:13 am

jamest wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:James, Kant sees the transcendental unity of apperception (TUA) as the thing which holds the whole show together. If not for it, then we would not have any consistent "I". The TUA is why whatever we think it could be accompanied by an "I think..." We don't experience in the self/"I". What we experience is a unified experience, and from this we can deduce the existence of a unified self.

You seem to have a high opinion of Kant. Elsewhere, I've seen you dismiss metaphysics because of Kant's philosophy.

That's not true. What I do is dismiss pre-Kantian metaphysics. If I want to provide an argument for dismissing metaphysics altogether I would turn to people like Nietzsche, Wittgenstein and Rorty - people who mark the end of the "golden age" of metaphysics which Kant started.

I have a high opinion of Kant because I think his "copernican revolution in philosophy" deserved the title he gave it. The most fundamental point he made was that we cannot start our enquiry either with pure empiricism or with pure rationalism but must instead start with ourselves and conditions under which we can experience anything at all. That and the distinction between noumena and phenomena (instead of between mind and matter) I think dictated the course of philosophy ever since.

But the point is that this 'I' is ontologically significant (metaphysically significant)... and I don't see how Kant can reach his negative conclusion about metaphysics whilst simultaneously talking about something which both embraces and unifies experience as a whole.

What exactly do you think "Kant's negative conclusion about metaphysics" was?

I don't know enough about Kant to know where or how (if at all) he incorporates his idea of the TUA into his critique of reason. But if he doesn't incorporate the TUA into this particular discourse, then my initial post [to you] on this matter is still relevant. Likewise, if he does [incorporate...], then how did he fail to recognise that the TUA was metaphysically/ontologically significant (which would counter his own conclusion about metaphysics)?

It doesn't counter his own conclusion about metaphysics. He came to the same conclusion. The TUA is where phenomena meets noumena - where objective and subjective become one. For Kant, nothing is more metaphysically significant than the "I".

I guess we both need to know more about what Kant said. Which means, perhaps, that you should withdraw your strong trust in his ultimate conclusion?

Again..I'm getting the impression that you think Kant's "ultimate conclusion" about metaphysics was the same as Wittgenstein's and Rorty's. This is not the case. He didn't say "we can't do metaphysics at all, we must remain silent." He just said that we couldn't go on doing metaphysics like the empiricists and rationalists of his day.

When nobody understood the first edition of the CPR, Kant produced and abridged, simplified version. This he called "A Prolegomena to any future metaphysics which can call itself a science."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolegomen ... ure_reason

Conclusion. On the determination of the bounds of pure reason

§ 57. We can't know things in themselves, that is, things as they are apart from being experienced. However, things in themselves may exist and there may be other ways of knowing them, apart from our experience. We must guard against assuming that the limits of our reason are the limits of the possibility of things in themselves. To do this, we must determine the boundary of the use of our reason. We want to know about the soul. We want to know about the size and origin of the world, and whether we have free will. We want to know about a Supreme Being. Our reason must stay within the boundary of appearances but it assumes that there can be knowledge of the things–in–themselves that exist beyond that boundary. Mathematics and natural science stay within the boundary of appearances and have no need to go beyond. The nature of reason is that it wants to go beyond appearances and wants to know the basis of appearances. Reason never stops asking "why?." Reason won't rest until it knows the complete condition for the whole series of conditions. Complete conditions are thought of as being the transcendental Ideas of the immaterial Soul, the whole world, and the Supreme Being. In order to think about these beings of mere thought, we symbolically attribute sensuous properties to them. In this way, the Ideas mark the bounds of human reason. They exist at the boundary because we speak and think about them as if they possess the properties of both appearances and things–in–themselves.

In other words he was NOT trying to kill of metaphysics completely, merely to kill off any idea that metaphysics could be done like natural, materialistic science can be done. Before Kant, this sharp distinction between science and philosophy did not exist. As such, he is just as much one of the founders of modern science as he is the key founder of modern philosophy.

Anyway, this discussion doesn't have to be about what Kant thinks, per se. Your own thoughts on the matter are welcome.

Are objectivists really the advocated of reason? If "objectivist" means "Ayn Rand" then all I can say is that I've never brought myself to read anything written by Rand. I can't see any point in doing so, because I think her approach is fundamentally wrong-headed -it's as pointless as Dennett's from where I'm standing.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby jamest » Jun 24, 2010 11:48 am

UndercoverElephant wrote:That's not true. What I do is dismiss pre-Kantian metaphysics. If I want to provide an argument for dismissing metaphysics altogether I would turn to people like Nietzsche, Wittgenstein and Rorty - people who mark the end of the "golden age" of metaphysics which Kant started.

I have a high opinion of Kant because I think his "copernican revolution in philosophy" deserved the title he gave it. The most fundamental point he made was that we cannot start our enquiry either with pure empiricism or with pure rationalism but must instead start with ourselves and conditions under which we can experience anything at all. That and the distinction between noumena and phenomena (instead of between mind and matter) I think dictated the course of philosophy ever since.

It doesn't counter his own conclusion about metaphysics. He came to the same conclusion. The TUA is where phenomena meets noumena - where objective and subjective become one. For Kant, nothing is more metaphysically significant than the "I".

Again..I'm getting the impression that you think Kant's "ultimate conclusion" about metaphysics was the same as Wittgenstein's and Rorty's. This is not the case. He didn't say "we can't do metaphysics at all, we must remain silent." He just said that we couldn't go on doing metaphysics like the empiricists and rationalists of his day.

When nobody understood the first edition of the CPR, Kant produced and abridged, simplified version. This he called "A Prolegomena to any future metaphysics which can call itself a science."

Okay, well thanks for putting me right about Kant. Guess I need to read the actual details of his discourse. Do you know of a good commentary of the CPR?

Are objectivists really the advocated of reason? If "objectivist" means "Ayn Rand" then all I can say is that I've never brought myself to read anything written by Rand. I can't see any point in doing so, because I think her approach is fundamentally wrong-headed -it's as pointless as Dennett's from where I'm standing.

Yes, I would have to agree with that.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#26  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 24, 2010 2:29 pm

jamest wrote:
Okay, well thanks for putting me right about Kant. Guess I need to read the actual details of his discourse. Do you know of a good commentary of the CPR?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Critique-Reason ... skept01-21
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby jamest » Jun 24, 2010 4:18 pm

UndercoverElephant wrote:
jamest wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Critique-Reason ... skept01-21

The link doesn't seem to work.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#28  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 24, 2010 5:34 pm

Kant and the Critique of Pure Reason by Sebastian Gardner (Routledge Philosophy Guidebooks)
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby jamest » Jun 24, 2010 11:28 pm

UndercoverElephant wrote:Kant and the Critique of Pure Reason by Sebastian Gardner (Routledge Philosophy Guidebooks)

Thanks for that, UE. Have just ordered it.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#30  Postby dirtnapper » Jun 26, 2010 12:09 am

ColonelZen wrote:Though they claim not to be libertarians, from what I gather you can't tell the difference between libertarianism and Objectivism without a magnifying glass.

As pointed out in an earlier post, the two are very different. The most important, is the underlying premis of the two. A moral code based on individualism, is at the foundation of Objectivism, not Libertarianism (as mentioned is just a political stance).

This means many of the tactics that are used, such as externalization of costs, are not ethical. This means, as it always does, that ethical people will always be run over by amoral and immoral people and systems. Consequently, "laissez faire" economics as described by Objectivists, has never existed.

The real fantasy of Objectivism, is that the majority of people have to be rational and moral. That will never happen.
Effort level required to be ignorant and amoral = very little
Effort level required to be knowlegeable and moral = a lot
For subjectivists this is all gibberish ... subjectively speaking :naughty2:
[/quote]
dirtnapper

Print view this post

#31  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 26, 2010 12:31 am

dirtnapper wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B8ren_Kierkegaard
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby dirtnapper » Jun 26, 2010 6:54 am

I appreciate the links*, but not sure how to respond. I took a quick look.

Nietzsche - humanist (I would be classified secular) That said - further link hopping brought me to this: Secular Humanism is a secular philosophy that espouses reason, ethics, and justice, and specifically rejects supernatural and religious dogma as the basis of morality and decision-making. Indeed morality is abstracted from the nature of the existent (in this case - humans) to which it applies.

Kierkegaard - religious (I do not subscribe to beliefs - I seek evidence / facts verified, and placed into proper context)
Faith / belief = nothing - Answers / knowledge = tools
That said; I see in the wiki, he is referred to as supporting Individualism.

Do you have a specific point, or just passing on reading material?*

"Effort level required to be knowlegeable and moral = a lot" I should qualify this by adding people vary in the abilities. So for some people - gaining knowledge it easier then it is for others. Even that needs to be elaborated on, but not here.
dirtnapper

Print view this post

#33  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 26, 2010 10:22 am

dirtnapper wrote:
Do you have a specific point, or just passing on reading material?

Nietzsche and Kierkegaard, one of them an atheist and the other a theist, would both have heartily agreed with this:

The more you know and understand, the greater the temptation to just give up trying, because you become progressively more and more aware both of how hopeless the human condition is and of the moral responsibility of trying to improve it regardless.

Both would also have considered objectivism to be a fantasy. They were the dawn of postmodernism, Nietzsche because of his language-based perspectivism and Kierkegaard for his mocking rejection of Hegel's grand metaphysical system. One of K's major works is called "Concluding Unscientific Postscript". He was taking the piss, basically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concluding ... _Fragments

The work is also famous for its dictum, Subjectivity is Truth.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby NineOneFour » Jun 26, 2010 1:40 pm

Objectivism is a silly philosophy.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Jeffersonian-marxist » Jun 27, 2010 4:44 pm

All humans are advocates of reason, as all believe that their position is the most reasonable.
Jeffersonian-marxist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Kazaman » Jun 27, 2010 8:23 pm

Did anyone else notice the prepositional error in the title? :lol:
Kazaman

Name: Stephen
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Philosophy