Can there be a non-computable physical law?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Can there be a non-computable physical law?

#21  Postby susu.exp » Jun 13, 2010 12:09 pm

Preno wrote:No, not really. Decidability has to do with quantification, whereas the question of whether the universe is deterministic is simply the question of whether we can determine its future behaviour. You're mixing different things together.

Not at all. Predictability by us differs from determinism.

Preno wrote:Of course there are propositions that cannot be decided by physical law: for example, "the Earth has a radius of 6378 km". This is a statement that is independent of any of our physical laws.

I disagree. In a deterministic universe this proposition could be derived from the innitial state (or any state for that matter) of the universe and all the governing laws.

Preno wrote:So what you actually mean is whether we can, given sufficiently precise initial conditions, determine the future behaviour of the universe in principle with arbitrary precision. Which is a matter of computation/simulation, not of deciding some statement in some formal system.

Nope. Because the issue is not whether we can do it, but whether the Laplacian demon could do it. Given the state of the universe at a point in time t and the laws governing it, the state of the universe at time t' is decidable within the system of axioms containing the laws and the state (which pretty much defines a boundary condition) precisely if the laws are deterministic. In that case there is precisely one state at time t' which is consistent with the axioms. If the laws are stochastic there are more states and thus which state appears at time t' is not decidable. Fundamentally, the universe is governed by laws, which can be expressed logically. Turing showed that if you have a set of axioms that is of cardinality c, you can have a logical system not restricted to FOL that is both consistent and complete (Gödels proof rests on the diagonal argument, and just as R has a complete list of numbers, an uncountably infinite set of axioms can escape Gödel).

Preno wrote:Computability doesn't deal with sentences like for all x there is an y such that for all z ..., which are precisely the root cause of undecidability, so Godel's theorems have no direct bearing on determinism.

You are ignoring that you can have a function from the space of logical statements to N. Which is where the equivalence stems from. For any such function from a logical statement A to a number n, it´s equivalent to state that A is undecidable and that n is not computable.
susu
susu.exp

Print view this post

#22  Postby newolder » Jun 13, 2010 1:42 pm

Paul Almond wrote:Suppose a zardonk can go left or right when it reaches a zoltok.

Is this any different to Roger's zig-zag structure, printed in The Road to Reality, of the electron?
The rule for working out whether a zardonk goes left or right when it reaches a zoltok is based on some specified set of Penrose tiles. The exact set of Penrose tiles is based on the type of zardonk and the type of zoltok involved.
If the specified set of Penrose tiles can be used to tile the infinite plan, it goes left.
If the specified set of Penrose tiles can be used to tile the infinite plan, it goes right.

:? :think:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#23  Postby Preno » Jun 13, 2010 5:02 pm

susu.exp wrote:
Preno wrote:No, not really. Decidability has to do with quantification, whereas the question of whether the universe is deterministic is simply the question of whether we can determine its future behaviour. You're mixing different things together.
Not at all. Predictability by us differs from determinism.
I suppose, depending on how broadly you construe "predictability by us, but that's besides the point I was making, which had to do with your misconstrual of decidability (see below).
Preno wrote:Of course there are propositions that cannot be decided by physical law: for example, "the Earth has a radius of 6378 km". This is a statement that is independent of any of our physical laws.
I disagree. In a deterministic universe this proposition could be derived from the innitial state (or any state for that matter) of the universe and all the governing laws.
Uh, yeah, that the physical laws by themselves aren't sufficient and need to be supplemented by an account of the initial state was precisely my point, so I'm not sure why you're disagreeing.
Preno wrote:So what you actually mean is whether we can, given sufficiently precise initial conditions, determine the future behaviour of the universe in principle with arbitrary precision. Which is a matter of computation/simulation, not of deciding some statement in some formal system.
Nope. Because the issue is not whether we can do it, but whether the Laplacian demon could do it. Given the state of the universe at a point in time t and the laws governing it, the state of the universe at time t' is decidable within the system of axioms containing the laws and the state (which pretty much defines a boundary condition) precisely if the laws are deterministic.
I don't disagree, but my point was that you're substantially reducing the definition of decidability, so much that Godel's theorems (whose relevance to this topic you claimed earlier) become irrelevant.

Decidability means that every sentence in some formal language is decidable in some theory. Here, however, you're only talking about sentences of the form "at time t, the state of our universe will be such and such". These are much simpler than the sentences to which undecidability might apply, which would look like, for example "no matter what the initial state is, there is a time t in the evolution of that state such that ...". Such sentences might be undecidable on Godelian grounds, but not sentences of the former kind. So computability (which we haven't even defined yet, btw) is not equivalent to decidability. The decidability of the fragment of our language consisting of simple, unquantified sentences like "at time t, ... will hold" doesn't entail the decidability of the whole language (which includes arbitrarily long sequences of quantifiers), and computability only requires this weaker kind of decidability.
In that case there is precisely one state at time t' which is consistent with the axioms.
Essentially, yes, although strictly speaking, there is no such thing as a state when we're talking about decidability, what you have is an infinite set of sentence in some language describing that state.
If the laws are stochastic there are more states and thus which state appears at time t' is not decidable. Fundamentally, the universe is governed by laws, which can be expressed logically.
I assume you mean that they can be expressed formally. Being expressed logically presumably means being expressed by means of purely logical vocabulary (logical connectives, quantifiers, identity), which they obviously cannot, being laws of physics.
Turing showed that if you have a set of axioms that is of cardinality c, you can have a logical system not restricted to FOL that is both consistent and complete (Gödels proof rests on the diagonal argument, and just as R has a complete list of numbers, an uncountably infinite set of axioms can escape Gödel).
I'm not sure which results you're alluding to here, but at any rate assuming we're not talking about some outlandish language with an uncountable number of symbols (which, if you are, you should declare and justify), there is only a countable number of formulas, so there can hardly be an uncountable number of axioms.
Preno wrote:Computability doesn't deal with sentences like for all x there is an y such that for all z ..., which are precisely the root cause of undecidability, so Godel's theorems have no direct bearing on determinism.
You are ignoring that you can have a function from the space of logical statements to N. Which is where the equivalence stems from. For any such function from a logical statement A to a number n, it´s equivalent to state that A is undecidable and that n is not computable.
I don't understand what it means to say that a natural number is not computable. (Also, I can't help making the same terminological nitpick again - you mean formal sentences, not "logical statements".)
Preno

Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 13, 2010 5:07 pm

byofrcs wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:
jamest wrote:Does this thread boil down to indeterminism and quantum mechanics?

No. It is about the nature of physical laws. From my point of view physical laws are necessarily mathematical. I don't understand what a "non-computable physical law" could be.

Random can't be computed and the universe has a lots of random (sources of entropy).

Random is also not bound by laws. You can't have random laws, can you?
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby susu.exp » Jun 13, 2010 5:57 pm

Preno wrote:Uh, yeah, that the physical laws by themselves aren't sufficient and need to be supplemented by an account of the initial state was precisely my point, so I'm not sure why you're disagreeing.

I think we´re disagreeing on whether the initial state does fall under physical law. I would hold that it does. Let´s assume a deterministic dynamical system dx/dt(t)=1. It is compatible with various initial states x(t=0)=x0, x0 in R. With a given innitial state, we can state for any state (t,x(t)), whether the system will reach it or not. In a stochastic system, say dx/dt=Y(t), with Y(t) normally distributed with mean 1 and SD 0.5, we can not decide whether the system will reach any particular state (T,x(tT)), even if x0 is known. To make that question decidable, we need to know Y(t) for 0<t<T, giving us uncountably many statements of the type Y(t=a)=b.

Preno wrote:Decidability means that every sentence in some formal language is decidable in some theory. Here, however, you're only talking about sentences of the form "at time t, the state of our universe will be such and such". These are much simpler than the sentences to which undecidability might apply, which would look like, for example "no matter what the initial state is, there is a time t in the evolution of that state such that ...". Such sentences might be undecidable on Godelian grounds, but not sentences of the former kind.

I think you´re right there and one has to be careful in constructing this, but one can note that there are states in the universe in which a formal argument is presented. It´s back to the drawing board for me, but I suspect a Gödel type argument can be brought forward about this.

Preno wrote:I'm not sure which results you're alluding to here, but at any rate assuming we're not talking about some outlandish language with an uncountable number of symbols (which, if you are, you should declare and justify), there is only a countable number of formulas, so there can hardly be an uncountable number of axioms.

I have to look this up, but yea, it basically requires an uncountable number of symbols. It´s doubtful such an axiomatic system is constructable, but it does escape the problem.

Preno wrote:I don't understand what it means to say that a natural number is not computable.

You are right, I don´t know what (or for that matter if) I was thinking there.
susu
susu.exp

Print view this post

#26  Postby Thommo » Jun 13, 2010 5:57 pm

UndercoverElephant wrote:Random is also not bound by laws. You can't have random laws, can you?

Why do you say that?
Thommo

Print view this post

#27  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 13, 2010 6:13 pm

Because the whole point of physical laws is to predict what is going to happen, isn't it? They are for calculating what we are likely to observe in the future. And randomness is, by definition, unpredictable.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#28  Postby twistor59 » Jun 13, 2010 6:29 pm

UndercoverElephant wrote:Because the whole point of physical laws is to predict what is going to happen, isn't it? They are for calculating what we are likely to observe in the future. And randomness is, by definition, unpredictable.

Shouldn't we include things which only predict probabistic outcomes as physical laws ? Like Schrodinger's equation.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby byofrcs » Jun 13, 2010 6:46 pm

UndercoverElephant wrote:Because the whole point of physical laws is to predict what is going to happen, isn't it? They are for calculating what we are likely to observe in the future. And randomness is, by definition, unpredictable.

Random is not that unpredictable. It follows very clear laws based on the distribution which are related to well known mathematical functions and constants e.g.a Poisson distribution uses 'e'.

An individual trial may be random but in the long run it follows a rule and more so in that when a random system deviates from being random that it becomes more predictable in the short term though we may not know what the long term distribution will look like.

With a fair roulette wheel I predict that the distribution of numbers will be equal in the long term, though I may not know what the next number will be. With an unfair wheel I may better guess the short term outcome but I would not have predicted that before the game had started. Once I realise that the wheel is untrue then I can better predict the results.

Random therefore follows a rule and we know when it breaks this rule.

The thing is that I cannot calculate a random number with a TM without using an external source of entropy.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#30  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 13, 2010 7:44 pm

twistor59 wrote:

Shouldn't we include things which only predict probabistic outcomes as physical laws ? Like Schrodinger's equation.

Yes, we can include them as probabilistic laws...but we also have to acknowledge that they have a non-lawful component to them. No law can predict when a specific nucleus decays or explain why a specific nucleus decayed when it did. It just happens. I think we have to say that there are (at least) two fundamentally different sorts of physical law - those which are fully deterministic and those which are probabilistic. Probabilistic laws offer philosophical problems/opportunities which determinstic laws do not.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 13, 2010 7:49 pm

byofrcs wrote:

Random is not that unpredictable. It follows very clear laws based on the distribution which are related to well known mathematical functions and constants e.g.a Poisson distribution uses 'e'.

An individual trial may be random but in the long run it follows a rule and more so in that when a random system deviates from being random that it becomes more predictable in the short term though we may not know what the long term distribution will look like.

With a fair roulette wheel I predict that the distribution of numbers will be equal in the long term, though I may not know what the next number will be. With an unfair wheel I may better guess the short term outcome but I would not have predicted that before the game had started. Once I realise that the wheel is untrue then I can better predict the results.

The roulette wheel is a bad comparison. It is only random in the sense that we don't have the measuring/computing power to make an accurate prediction. By contrast, all the measuring and computing power concievable won't help to tell us when a specific uranium nucleus will decay. This is the difference between subjective and objective randomness. The nuclear decay is said to be "objectively random" because it is necessarily random at a metaphysical level. The roulette wheel is only random from our point of view as humans. It's not really random at all, just complex to predict.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby byofrcs » Jun 14, 2010 6:11 am

My point was that the roulette wheel has a predictable distribution function and a block of Uranium has a similarly predictable (though different) distribution function.

Say I used an alpha particle counter pointed at a block of uranium and use an alpha particle hit to time when the mechanism fires the ball into the roulette wheel. Do you think the roulette wheel then suddenly fails to follow an even distribution ?.

It won't but what I have now done is made it impossible for you to predict the roulette wheel outcome no matter how much computing power you apply to the problem because you claim it is impossible to compute the decay time of the uranium particle.

Therefore a roulette wheel is subjectively random because of the timing of the ball release and how this synchronises to the wheel. That doesn't sound like subjectively random unless a human is able to manipulate this in some way with a resolution that is probably far smaller than a human can function at.

The roulette results will still trend to an even distribution (assuming a fair wheel).

I therefore question how a roulette wheel appears only random from a human point of view (though it has a well defined distribution) and yet the decay of uranium is somehow hidden (though it has a well defined distribution).

I say that both systems are objectively random though the roulette ball and wheel appears more predictable because that system has been quantised many trillions of atoms that make up the ball and wheel whereas you brought in us looking at just one uranium atom decaying to thorium.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Preno » Jun 18, 2010 11:29 am

susu.exp wrote:
Preno wrote:Uh, yeah, that the physical laws by themselves aren't sufficient and need to be supplemented by an account of the initial state was precisely my point, so I'm not sure why you're disagreeing.
I think we´re disagreeing on whether the initial state does fall under physical law. I would hold that it does.
No, it doesn't (or rather, what I said was that it isn't a physical law that ...). A physical law is a general statement, not a particular statement about the Earth's diameter or about the position of the Mona Lisa. Their evolution, however, is governed by physical law, which I assumed to be what you meant to say.
Let´s assume a deterministic dynamical system dx/dt(t)=1. It is compatible with various initial states x(t=0)=x0, x0 in R. With a given innitial state, we can state for any state (t,x(t)), whether the system will reach it or not. In a stochastic system, say dx/dt=Y(t), with Y(t) normally distributed with mean 1 and SD 0.5, we can not decide whether the system will reach any particular state (T,x(tT)), even if x0 is known. To make that question decidable, we need to know Y(t) for 0<t<T, giving us uncountably many statements of the type Y(t=a)=b.
Well, sort of, except we need to distinguish between states of some variable and sentences about those states. The variable x goes through an uncountable number of states, but that doesn't mean we have uncountably many sentences describing it. We don't, as our language is necessarily countable (since we're not capable of an infinitely precise discrimination between symbols). Corresponding to each state, however, there is a set of countable sentences describing it, like "3.1 < x < 3.2", "3.14 < x < 3.15", etc. And there are uncountably many sets of sentences, so every pair of states can be distinguished by some such inequality.
Preno

Male

Print view this post

#34  Postby susu.exp » Jun 18, 2010 7:04 pm

Preno wrote:No, it doesn't (or rather, what I said was that it isn't a physical law that ...). A physical law is a general statement, not a particular statement about the Earth's diameter or about the position of the Mona Lisa. Their evolution, however, is governed by physical law, which I assumed to be what you meant to say.

I think the line between physical law and the description of the initial state is somewhat arbitrary. Take a law using a constant, say, Einsteins famous E=mc2. Now c can either be a constant in that law, or c is a variable in our state space, governed by the dynamical equation dc/dt=0 and an initial condition c(t0)=...
susu
susu.exp

Print view this post

#35  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 24, 2010 10:30 pm

byofrcs wrote:My point was that the roulette wheel has a predictable distribution function and a block of Uranium has a similarly predictable (though different) distribution function.

Say I used an alpha particle counter pointed at a block of uranium and use an alpha particle hit to time when the mechanism fires the ball into the roulette wheel. Do you think the roulette wheel then suddenly fails to follow an even distribution ?.

No, but the experiment has changed.

It won't but what I have now done is made it impossible for you to predict the roulette wheel outcome no matter how much computing power you apply to the problem because you claim it is impossible to compute the decay time of the uranium particle.

Yes.

Therefore a roulette wheel is subjectively random because of the timing of the ball release and how this synchronises to the wheel. That doesn't sound like subjectively random unless a human is able to manipulate this in some way with a resolution that is probably far smaller than a human can function at.

The wheel is now objectively random because of the timing of the ball release. It becomes subjectively random as soon as the nucleus decays.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#36  Postby King Hazza » Jun 27, 2010 10:08 am

That's an odd question as that's exactly what computing IS- making calculations using laws programmed in (either machine or organism).
If you can define a law you CAN compute with it.
----------------------------------------------
Wikileaks enhances democracy
SUPPORT JULIAN ASSANGE and the leakers who stick their necks out for others
-----------------
King Hazza

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#37  Postby michael^3 » Jun 27, 2010 10:35 am

Maybe the question should be rephrased like "Is it possible that not all behavior of the universe can be predicted/modeled/simulated by an algorithm?".

I think this is more than possible. It's very likely. Algorithms are only a human invention. Why should the universe be so well behaved?
Happy the man who delights in God's law and meditates on it day and night.
michael^3

Print view this post

#38  Postby Paul Almond » Jun 27, 2010 1:08 pm

I think it comes down to how we should construct the reference class. If it were possible to construct the reference class of possible universes - to write a description of each down in a book - how should we do this? For example, if we say that each possible universe is modeled an algorithm in some language, and yet it is possible to conceive of a universe which is not, then we have clearly not got a complete reference class. So how is this reference class made? When we have an idea of that, we can then think about whether any "non-computable" universes would occupy a significant amount of that reference class.
If I ever start making posts like "On the banning and partial banning of words!" then I view my life as less than worthless and I hope that my friends here would have a collection to pay for ninjas to be sent to my home to kill me*. (*=humanely)
Paul Almond

Name: Paul Almond
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Tero » Jun 27, 2010 1:14 pm

Laws are things we do understand. There are all kinds of situations where we understand what we start with and what we end up with, but are foggy on the mechanism. Like the statistics examples above. But no worries. Everything has a rational explanation. Even tunneling, I guess.

http://molecularmodelingbasics.blogspot ... d-stm.html
How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#40  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 27, 2010 9:02 pm

King Hazza wrote:That's an odd question as that's exactly what computing IS- making calculations using laws programmed in (either machine or organism).
If you can define a law you CAN compute with it.

That is pretty much what I think also. I'm sympathetic to the idea that there might be some connection between QM and consciousness, but I really don't know what a non-computable physical law is supposed to be.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy