Defeating Solipsism

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Defeating Solipsism

#1001  Postby jamest » Nov 14, 2013 10:04 pm

Okay Archibald. You're entitled to your opinion.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#1002  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 14, 2013 10:09 pm

archibald wrote:
jamest wrote:
That's not true at all. Look at any of my threads - I always try to reason towards a profound conclusion. I don't reason from the conclusion.

I've looked, and all I see is you reasoning backwards. The fact that you put them in the opposite order when typing them in is not an indicator for the direction of your reasoning. Heck, even Anslem was careful to put them in the forward order when he was writing them down.

isn't it amazing that he believes this about his argument?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#1003  Postby jamest » Nov 14, 2013 10:11 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
archibald wrote:
jamest wrote:
That's not true at all. Look at any of my threads - I always try to reason towards a profound conclusion. I don't reason from the conclusion.

I've looked, and all I see is you reasoning backwards. The fact that you put them in the opposite order when typing them in is not an indicator for the direction of your reasoning. Heck, even Anslem was careful to put them in the forward order when he was writing them down.

The irony is that you always do start out with the assumptions associated with materialism, prior to building your models upon them.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#1004  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 14, 2013 10:20 pm

jamest wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
archibald wrote:
jamest wrote:

The irony is that you always do start out with the assumptions associated with materialism, prior to building your models upon them.

Show me where that is why don't you. Better yet show me where I argue for materialism.

You just mistook one of my BIV models for a materialism argument this morning. :lol: :roll: Saying you weren't going to let me get away with inventing 'real' objects like BIV salt. :crazy:
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#1005  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 14, 2013 10:29 pm

It's of interest that idealists want materialists to limit their arguments and assumption to idealism.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#1006  Postby jamest » Nov 14, 2013 10:37 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:It's of interest that idealists want materialists to limit their arguments and assumption to idealism.

That's not true. Remember that my model made no assumptions about 'S', as did yours. My model was ontologically neutral. You should try that sometime.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#1007  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 14, 2013 11:03 pm

jamest wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:It's of interest that idealists want materialists to limit their arguments and assumption to idealism.

That's not true. Remember that my model made no assumptions about 'S', as did yours. My model was ontologically neutral. You should try that sometime.

First off, no model in that thread thus far is about proving materialism. I had one that was designed to show how idealism collapses to solipsism and another to show BIV issues around truth and extended cognition. BIV is so much like you and LI's belief that I was shocked.

What were my assumptions about s. That it was s? That it could observe salt? Note that these were models.

but how does that differ from your i-observe assumption?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#1008  Postby jamest » Nov 14, 2013 11:13 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
jamest wrote:

First off, no model in that thread thus far is about proving materialism. I had one that was designed to show how idealism collapses to solipsism and another to show BIV issues around truth and extended cognition. BIV is so much like you and LI's belief that I was shocked.

What were my assumptions about s. That it was s? That it could observe salt? Note that these were models.

We should really take this issue back to your thread. Anyway, your assumptions about S (Tom & Joe) were that they were O (material objects in themselves) as opposed to n1 (etc.) which were thoughts/experiences/etc..

That's not what you call an ontologically neutral model.

In my competing model, the ontology of S is initially unknown (which is precisely the case). Which is why my model is indicative of a more objective/neutral approach to the issue than your own.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#1009  Postby romansh » Nov 15, 2013 2:45 am

jamest wrote:
What I meant was that I wasn't copying & pasting my stuff from the Vedas, or whatever. Anyway, I can legitimately say that my thoughts are my thoughts since there's no reference to my identity. My philosophy does not negate my existence.

Ahh ... a self made man, thereby relieving god of an almighty responsibility.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#1010  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 15, 2013 1:05 pm

jamest wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
jamest wrote:

We should really take this issue back to your thread. Anyway, your assumptions about S (Tom & Joe) were that they were O (material objects in themselves) as opposed to n1 (etc.) which were thoughts/experiences/etc..

That's not what you call an ontologically neutral model.

In my competing model, the ontology of S is initially unknown (which is precisely the case). Which is why my model is indicative of a more objective/neutral approach to the issue than your own.

I'll respond over there.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#1011  Postby archibald » Nov 15, 2013 1:09 pm

jamest wrote:Okay Archibald. You're entitled to your opinion.

And so are you. :mrgreen:
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#1012  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 15, 2013 1:22 pm

archibald wrote:

I disagree.

Having an opinion carries with it a certain responsibility, a bar that must be reached. Jamest has not satisfied the requirement.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#1013  Postby DrWho » Nov 16, 2013 12:18 am

SpeedOfSound wrote:
archibald wrote:

I disagree.

Having an opinion carries with it a certain responsibility, a bar that must be reached. Jamest has not satisfied the requirement.

...interesting opinion...
The skeptical writers are a set whose business it is to prick holes in the fabric of knowledge wherever it is weak and faulty; and when these places are properly repaired, the whole building becomes more firm and solid than it was before. - Thomas Reid
DrWho

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1014  Postby archibald » Nov 16, 2013 1:33 am

DrWho wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
archibald wrote:

I disagree.

As is yours.

This drilling down to the heart of what's really (ultimately?) going on in these discussions is refreshing. :)
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#1015  Postby DrWho » Nov 16, 2013 7:56 am

archibald wrote:
DrWho wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
archibald wrote:

I disagree.

As is yours.

This drilling down to the heart of what's really (ultimately?) going on in these discussions is refreshing. :)

and yours...infinity!
The skeptical writers are a set whose business it is to prick holes in the fabric of knowledge wherever it is weak and faulty; and when these places are properly repaired, the whole building becomes more firm and solid than it was before. - Thomas Reid
DrWho

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1016  Postby archibald » Nov 16, 2013 8:29 am

Cool. I can't beat that. :)

Anyhows, all this respecting each others opinions is fine, but maybe we should get back to the argy bargy.......the 'I'm right and you're not', the 'I win, you lose'......we wouldn't want to give ratskep a bad name among internet discussion forums.....bunch of wooses, that's what people would say.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#1018  Postby Ironclad » Nov 17, 2013 12:41 pm

!
MODNOTE
Hackenslash, this is a warning that your post here, in which you suggest that any contributor who subsequently disagrees with your particular point of view is a 'stupid cunt', is inflammatory towards other members.

[Reveal] Spoiler: your reported post
hackenslash wrote:Indeed.

Might I venture the suggestion that there is nothing special about mind? It would at least give the stupid twats who think otherwise some pause before posting, not least because they're fucking stupid.

Note: If you post after this asserting that there is something special about mind, you're a stupid cunt. If you're offended by it, you're a stupid cunt. Any offence you take at this factual statement is not only your own responsibility, it demonstrates that you are, in fact, a stupid cunt.

All else is not my fault. If I am sanctioned for this message, then the mods fall under this metric, and I don't think that for a second.

Clever, no?

Frankly, if I am sanctioned for this, I have nothing left to give here, and you'll find me on facetwat, or maybe rationalia.

Making inflammatory remarks is not allowed, as is spelled out in our Forum User's Agreement, paragraph 1.2.e, to which you agreed when you joined our forum.

As this is your 4th active warning, you will now be suspended from the forum for four weeks.

Ironclad
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#1019  Postby Rumraket » Nov 17, 2013 1:53 pm

jamest wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... your model is "ontologically neutral" ?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! :rofl:
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#1020  Postby jamest » Nov 17, 2013 6:33 pm

I'm talking specifically about models of observation, which were discussed in SoS' GEV thread.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Philosophy