God's fuck-off big stone!

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

God's fuck-off big stone!

#1  Postby Oliver » Mar 17, 2010 7:51 pm

Here's a philosophical argument against the Judeo-christian god I heard a while back:

"Can God create a stone so large that He can't lift it?"

If he can, then that means that he can create something so heavy that it can't be lifted, meaning that he's not omnipotent. If he can lift anything, and can't create something so large that he can't lift it, once again he is not omnipotent as there's something else he can't do - create a stone so large he can't lift it.

I seem to remember someone claiming that this was a stupid argument and saying something about 'God doesn't have to conform to human logic' or such - basically, desperate butt-dribble. What I am wondering is, are there any legitimate counter arguments to this, or is this sort of a punch in the face for Christianity and Judaism? I'm just curious.

I guess this is more a philosophy matter, but I chose 'debunking' as it directly relates to debunking an omnipotent God - the thread can be moved... :grin:
Oliver

Print view this post

Re: God's fuck-off big stone!

#2  Postby IIzO » Mar 17, 2010 9:18 pm

The usual counter argument is that God can do everything that doesn't go against logic.And can do everything he states he will.
Between what i think , what i want to say ,what i believe i say ,what i say , what you want to hear , what you hear ,what you understand...there are lots of possibilities that we might have some problem communicating.But let's try anyway.
Bernard Werber
IIzO

France (fr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Teuton » Mar 17, 2010 9:39 pm

Oliver wrote:Here's a philosophical argument against the Judeo-christian god I heard a while back:
"Can God create a stone so large that He can't lift it?"
What I am wondering is, are there any legitimate counter arguments to this, or is this sort of a punch in the face for Christianity and Judaism? I'm just curious.

"The intelligibility of the notion of omnipotence has been challenged by the so-called paradox or riddle of the stone. Can an omnipotent agent, Jane, bring it about that there is a stone of some mass, m, which Jane cannot move? If the answer is ‘yes’, then there is a state of affairs that Jane cannot bring about, namely, (S1) that a stone of mass m moves. On the other hand, if the answer is ‘no’, then there is another state of affairs that Jane cannot bring about, namely, (S2) that there is a stone of mass m which Jane cannot move. Thus, it seems that whether or not Jane can make the stone in question, there is some possible state of affairs that an omnipotent agent cannot bring about. And this appears to be paradoxical.

A first resolution of the paradox comes into play when Jane is an essentially omnipotent agent. In that case, the state of affairs of Jane's being non-omnipotent is impossible. Therefore, Jane cannot bring it about that she is not omnipotent. Since, necessarily, an omnipotent agent can move any stone, no matter how massive, (S2) is impossible. But, as we have seen, an omnipotent agent is not required to be able to bring about an impossible state of affairs.

If, on the other hand, Jane is an accidentally omnipotent agent, both (S1) and (S2) are possible, and it is possible for some omnipotent agent to bring it about that (S1) obtains at one time, and that (S2) obtains at a different time. Thus, there is a second solution to the paradox. In this case, Jane's being non-omnipotent is a possible state of affairs; thus, we may assume that it is possible for Jane to bring it about that she is non-omnipotent. So, Jane can create and move a stone, s, of mass, m, while omnipotent, and subsequently bring it about that she is not omnipotent and powerless to move s. As a consequence, Jane can bring about both (S1) and (S2), but only if they obtain at different times."

(http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/omnipotence)
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Oliver » Mar 17, 2010 9:55 pm

Teuton wrote:...Plato stuff...

Thanks. :smile:
Oliver

Print view this post

#5  Postby Sityl » Mar 17, 2010 10:01 pm

I find it funny that an all knowing and all powerful being could do something "on accident".
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Oliver » Mar 17, 2010 11:51 pm

num1cubfn wrote:I find it funny that an all knowing and all powerful being could do something "on accident".

Well, if the biblical God did exist, he's made so many shitty mistakes in creation alone that I wouldn't be surprised if he was only occasionally and accidentally omnipotent. :drunk:
Oliver

Print view this post

#7  Postby Mick » Mar 17, 2010 11:56 pm

num1cubfn wrote:I find it funny that an all knowing and all powerful being could do something "on accident".

lol. 'Accidentally' means 'contingently'.
Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#8  Postby james1v » Mar 18, 2010 12:13 am

Mick wrote:

lol. 'Accidentally' means 'contingently'.

In other words, an omnipotent dog, is, at the least, fooking very unlikely! Or, as we in the county of Yorkshire say...Give over! :thumbup:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby jamest » Mar 18, 2010 12:23 am

IIzO wrote:The usual counter argument is that God can do everything that doesn't go against logic.

Yes, for then the question becomes highlighted as being nonsensical. For instance, the question "Can God make a square circle?" is really just a nonsensical question and cannot be utilised to refute God's omnipotence.

The question is, is the question posed in the OP nonsensical too? To answer that, we'd have to consider God's omnipresence too. And if God is omnipresent, then logic dictates that nothing else can really exist but God. That would mean, logically (again), that God could only create the illusion of things - including stones, and including 'people' to lift these stones.

So, the only logical way to pose the question in the OP, would be:

Can God create the illusion of a stone so big that the imaginary human that 'he' perceives himself as cannot lift that stone?

One other aspect of omnipotence that needs to be considered prior to answering this question: 'omnipotence' must embrace both positive and negative potential. That is, omnipotence must entail an ability to act AND an inability to act. That is, in this instance, God must exhibit both an ability to move stones, and an inability to move stones. Therefore, an omnipotent God should be able to create the illusion of stones that can AND cannot be lifted. Which is consistent with our abilities.

In conclusion, observation supports the notion of an omnipotent God (as long as 'being human' is an illusion beheld by God). And no reason/question can be employed, about 'stones', to refute God's omnipotence.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Lion IRC » Mar 18, 2010 12:28 am

God can create AND uncreate such a stone.

He can be at any point in time - before or after the after the immovable stone appeared in space/time.

God can make Himself at One WITH the stone - being simultaneously both the irresistable force AND the immovable object.

God can make Himself really really small and unable to lift such a big stone.

He could create a no-boundary condition universe in which there was such thing as up or down and God would say...."see, I am lifting the stone" and the observer would say..."no you arent".

He could even make an immovable stone which would last for eternity and people would go around saying...."no-one other than the most Divine Highest Being could create THAT stone".

Most importantly, God can do anything He WANTS. Thats why He probably would NOT make something which was impossible for Himself to be able to lift. Because messing with peoples heads isnt on His "To Do List" no matter how often we ask Him ... "how many fingers am I holding up?"

Lion (IRC)
PS - Oh yeah, and He could make that rock standing on His head with one arm tied behind His back blindfolded.
FORMAL DEBATE - Lion IRC (affirmative) vs Crocodile Gandhi (negative)
Topic - Gay marriage should not be legalised in society.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#11  Postby stijndeloose » Mar 18, 2010 9:07 am

:what:
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#12  Postby tnjrp » Mar 18, 2010 9:43 am

One solution to the problem of omnipotence is indeed that the ominipotent divinity is not constrained by what our feeble human minds think are paradoxes :pray:

Obviously there are many more, often rather deeply philosophical attempts to explain the multiomni attributes of a prefered divinity (Xtian God a favourite) but they all usually end up with "limited omnipotence" of some sort or another (say, "God is incapable of not being God"). In which case one should really refer to the deity as "plentipotent", obviously...

But maybe it's best to just say "God is as God does" and be done with it.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Animavore » Mar 18, 2010 10:04 am

Lion IRC wrote:God can create AND uncreate such a stone.

And yet... he doesn't. Why is that I wonder?

Here's an answer to that question courtesy of Rapture Ready.

# You think questions like, "Can God create a rock so big that He cannot lift it?" and, "Can God will Himself out of existence?" are perfect examples of how to disprove God's omnipotence and ultimately how to disprove God. When someone proves to you the false logic behind the questions (i.e. pitting God's omnipotence against itself), you desperately try to defend the questions, but then give up and go to a different Christian site to ask them.

From the thread You might be an Atheist Fundamentalist if....
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Arcanyn » Mar 18, 2010 10:12 am

The stone paradox is no different to the creation of square circles etc.

Let's take the statement "Baal Hadad is omnipotent". That is not merely one statement, but infinitely many:
"Baal Hadad can create water"
"Baal Hadad can turn the Eiffel Tower into a giant pizza"
"Baal Hadad can fill the universe with trillions of identical copies of the planet Jupiter"
"Baal Hadad can make George W Bush say intelligent things"
. (for every conceivable action)

When Baal Hadad creates rock x, the set of statements describing Baal Hadad's omnipotence will also include the statement:

"Baal Hadad can lift rock x"

Now, suppose Baal Hadad wishes to make rock x unliftable. To do this, he makes the statement "No being can lift rock x" true. This statement is also not just one statement, but infinitely many:

"Bill Clinton cannot lift rock x"
"Vladimir Putin cannot lift rock x"
"Harry Potter cannot lift rock x (or at least, wouldn't be able to if he was real)"
. (statements for every possible person)
and including:
"Baal Hadad cannot lift rock x"

So what is he essentially doing, by trying to create a rock he cannot lift? Assuming that he retains his omnipotence, our friend Lord Hadad is simply trying to make it such that the statement "Baal Hadad can lift rock x" is true at the same time as "Baal Hadad cannot lift rock x" is also true. In other words, creating a rock he cannot lift would be willing as true the statement "Baal Hadad both can and cannot lift rock x". This is no different from creating a box that both is and is not orange. And what would it be like if there were rocks that a particular being is simultaneously able and unable to lift, or a box that both is and isn't orange? The very concepts are meaningless - a liftable unliftable stone simply isn't an entity at all, and saying that Baal Hadad isn't omnipotent because he can't create one is like saying that he's not omnipotent because he can't make a dsiofajioweh.
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » Mar 18, 2010 10:15 am

Arcanyn wrote:a liftable unliftable stone simply isn't an entity at all, and saying that Baal Hadad isn't omnipotent because he can't create one is like saying that he's not omnipotent because he can't make a dsiofajioweh.

Well if he can't create a dsiofajioweh then he is certainly not omnipotent.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16  Postby rJD » Mar 18, 2010 11:38 am

Oliver wrote:I seem to remember someone claiming that this was a stupid argument and saying something about 'God doesn't have to conform to human logic' or such - basically, desperate butt-dribble.

I fucking hate that claim. Maybe God doesn't have to conform to logic but his apologists do.

Basically, this is just a claim that "I know what I'm saying is nonsensical but I'm asserting the right to believe any old shit I like, and change the goalposts as my argument fails".

Omnipotence is an incoherent concept. Omnipotence allied to omniscience doubly so. Add in omnibenevolence and you have a "perfect storm" of gibberish.
I was "jd" in RDF, and am still in Rationalia.com

"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish, spread the "meme".

rJD
RS Donator

Name: John
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Arcanyn » Mar 18, 2010 3:04 pm

Animavore wrote:
Arcanyn wrote:a liftable unliftable stone simply isn't an entity at all, and saying that Baal Hadad isn't omnipotent because he can't create one is like saying that he's not omnipotent because he can't make a dsiofajioweh.

A dsiofajioweh isn't anything. It has no definition, and describes nothing with any properties whatsoever.
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Sityl » Mar 18, 2010 3:14 pm

Arcanyn wrote:
Animavore wrote:

A dsiofajioweh isn't anything. It has no definition, and describes nothing with any properties whatsoever.

Woah, I think we just found an synonym for "god".
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Broiled Jogger » Mar 18, 2010 3:23 pm

If a god is not bound by human logic then it makes no sense to say anything about it since anything said about it would be asserting that some statement about it is true rather than false. They'd be logical propositions about something to which logic does not apply. To say that the god exists is just babbling nonsense.
Broiled Jogger

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby katja z » Mar 18, 2010 3:24 pm

Arcanyn wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Arcanyn: What does "having a definition" have to do with existing?
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Philosophy