How long does it take you to read a philosophy book?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

How long does it take you to read a philosophy book?

#1  Postby The Doctor » Jul 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Reading philosophy is nothing like any other literature, fiction or nonfiction. It is demanding and requires deep concentration and reflection. How long does it take you to finish a text?
"We are omniscient, but confused." - Leibniz

My blog: Monads Have No Windows
The Doctor
RS Donator

Name: John Smith
Male

Print view this post

Re: How long does it take you to read a philosophy book?

#2  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jul 20, 2010 5:40 pm

The Doctor wrote:Reading philosophy is nothing like any other literature, fiction or nonfiction. It is demanding and requires deep concentration and reflection. How long does it take you to finish a text?

How long is a piece of string?

Depends how long and obscure it is. And it is not just the reading. As you say...you need to reflect. You have to spend hours just wandering along a beach or something trying to get your head around it.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby natselrox » Jul 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Is this a metaphysical question?
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#4  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jul 20, 2010 6:03 pm

natselrox wrote:Is this a metaphysical question?

No.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby natselrox » Jul 20, 2010 6:04 pm

UndercoverElephant wrote:
natselrox wrote:Is this a metaphysical question?

No.

Good. Have a cup of tea. :roll:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#6  Postby SpeedOfSound » Jul 20, 2010 9:54 pm

The Doctor wrote:Reading philosophy is nothing like any other literature, fiction or nonfiction. It is demanding and requires deep concentration and reflection. How long does it take you to finish a text?

I'll let you know as soon as I finish one.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Comte de St.-Germain » Jul 20, 2010 10:51 pm

It depends, really. I read Nietzsche as if it is a light novel, but I read pretty quickly anyway (no speed-reading, of course, that doesn't work properly). Other philosophy, it depends. It's the same problem with everything. If someone is being purposefully evasive, it takes me hours to get through. If someone is just 'saying it', it goes along pretty quickly.

To be entirely honest, I wouldn't worry too much about how long it takes. I've been reading Nietzsche for, probably eight years, now and although I would say I have a pretty mature understanding of his philosophy, there are still things I want to explore. Good philosophy doesn't lend itself to just reading it once - even if it takes you a long time for that one read.
Quod tanto impendio absconditur etiam solummodo demonstrare destruere est
Comte de St.-Germain

Name: Franciscus I
Male

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#8  Postby jamest » Jul 20, 2010 11:56 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:

That about sums you up: has no idea/respect about/of philosophy... but knows everything about reality, regardless.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby SpeedOfSound » Jul 21, 2010 4:16 am

jamest wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:

That about sums you up: has no idea/respect about/of philosophy... but knows everything about reality, regardless.

I read about 30 books at a time plus three or four papers a week in between. Philosophy books tend to spin me off in so many directions that I end up adding 20 more books to my tables. Then there's the white boards and three or four giant newsprint pads to diagram on.

But I do read books on the science of the brain all the way through. Again and again and again. Philosloppy is more like one guys view and I'm not often compelled to listen to this kind of shit. I always thought I was the kind of guy that did my own thinking. Then I met you and started to read your posts. I realize that you have definitely done your own thinking so now I'm re-thinking my position on that.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

Return to Philosophy