Is Russell's turkey doing science?

what is the role of inductive knowledge in science

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Is Russell's turkey doing science?

#41  Postby jamest » Dec 09, 2016 11:44 pm

Fenrir wrote:
jamest wrote:
Fenrir wrote:"What is science?" is about as useful as "what is art?"

Not really, as we're supposedly crossing the threshold of subjectivity to objectivity when doing science [as opposed to art].

Driving a car does not make you a car.

What's your point? That science is an object in its own right? :scratch:
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#42  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 09, 2016 11:54 pm

Sure it is. An intangible thing. A process.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby SpeedOfSound » Dec 10, 2016 4:33 am

Let's do science. Let's do philosophy. Are we really doing it?

Sounds like the membership charter for a club. Do we really want to do that?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#44  Postby surreptitious57 » Dec 10, 2016 11:30 am

The first rule of Science Club is that you do not talk about Science Club

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#45  Postby surreptitious57 » Dec 10, 2016 12:09 pm

The answer to the OP is no Russells turkey is not doing science because it is a single turkey perspective. And so there
is no way to identify and subsequently minimise or eliminate bias through intersubjectivity. And it is a very Pavlovian
turkey assuming just one possibility when there might be others. So in order for this to qualify as science there would
have to be multiple turkeys exploring all possibilities with a minimum of bias
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#46  Postby Pebble » Dec 10, 2016 8:58 pm

The turkey has observed an association between the farmers wife and food. He has observed that this is consistent. We are now asked to accept that he concludes this is some sort of law of the universe. The question whether he is being scientific relies heavily on our accepting that he has good reason for proposing that the association he has observed does not have any explanation other than that it is a fundamental law.
As surreptitious57 has suggested, this would require considering multiple other possible explanations for the observed association as well as independent verification. This is not induction rather inductive fallacy.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#47  Postby jamest » Dec 10, 2016 9:31 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:The answer to the OP is no Russells turkey is not doing science because it is a single turkey perspective. And so there
is no way to identify and subsequently minimise or eliminate bias through intersubjectivity. And it is a very Pavlovian
turkey assuming just one possibility when there might be others. So in order for this to qualify as science there would

You've surprised me, as I was impressed by this post. Good points. :cheers:
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#48  Postby tuco » Dec 10, 2016 9:35 pm

Whether or not the turkey comes to conclusions close to reality does not necessarily have bearing on the question asked: Is turkey doing science? So its not a good point. If the turkey was alone in the universe it could still be doing science.
tuco

Print view this post

#49  Postby Pebble » Dec 10, 2016 10:36 pm

tuco wrote:Whether or not the turkey comes to conclusions close to reality does not necessarily have bearing on the question asked: Is turkey doing science? So its not a good point. If the turkey was alone in the universe it could still be doing science.

Perhaps. But to surmise the turkeys conclusion is scientifically valid would require independent verification, which would not be possible under such circumstances. Further the obvious issue of the turkey's failure to posit and explore other possible explanations for the association remains a significant concern.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#50  Postby UndercoverElephant » Dec 10, 2016 10:54 pm

jamest wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:The answer to the OP is no Russells turkey is not doing science because it is a single turkey perspective. And so there

You've surprised me, as I was impressed by this post. Good points. :cheers:

The first half of your first sentence was unneccesary.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#51  Postby tuco » Dec 10, 2016 10:56 pm

@Pebble: I agree. In today's world its pretty much clear who is doing science and who's not. In this sense, I do not quite get the point of this thread, but I do not need to know everything.

IMO the parable raises interesting question about induction, that is it. What is science? Sure, we can talk about it, but I do not think its essential. Science works, that is all.
tuco

Print view this post

#52  Postby UndercoverElephant » Dec 10, 2016 10:56 pm

tuco wrote: If the turkey was alone in the universe it could still be doing science.

I think I agree with that.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#53  Postby UndercoverElephant » Dec 10, 2016 11:01 pm

tuco wrote:@Pebble: I agree. In today's world its pretty much clear who is doing science and who's not. In this sense, I do not quite get the point of this thread, but I do not need to know everything.

There is no point to the thread apart from to explore the question. I'm exploring the question because I am currently writing about this sort of thing, and I'm interested in getting some other perspectives than my own.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#54  Postby tuco » Dec 10, 2016 11:17 pm

You do not need to justify anything, to me. It was just me saying .. of course, the turkey is doing science. We all do. More rigorous or less, closer to reality or less, following methodology more or less.

If you would have defined what you meant by "doing science", you would not need to confront your view here. The way I understand it the point is, what does it mean to do science? It requires very little of intellectual capacity simply because laws of nature are universal. Were first organisms on Earth doing science? We all know what "Once I did redhead" means but "doing science" we do not.
tuco

Print view this post

#55  Postby MS2 » Dec 10, 2016 11:36 pm

UndercoverElephant wrote:
tuco wrote: If the turkey was alone in the universe it could still be doing science.

I think I agree with that.

If the turkey was alone in the universe there would be no farmer's wife. The posited situation could not exist. So the conclusion does not follow.
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#56  Postby crank » Dec 10, 2016 11:58 pm

What more is science than trial and error? Informed trial and error?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#57  Postby jamest » Dec 10, 2016 11:59 pm

The collaboration, verification & peer-review, aspects of science are not to be sneered at. They are integral to the whole shebang. This doesn't mean that "doing science" is not possible for the individual, but doing trusted/meaningful science does seem contingent upon universal agreement. I'm guessing that the OP wants to know whether the turkey is doing science which is both meaningful and trusted, therefore universally applicable, otherwise I wouldn't have given surreptitious57 a pat on the back for his comments.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#58  Postby SpeedOfSound » Dec 11, 2016 12:01 am

The turkey is not 'doing science'. The turkey is doing what the press loves. Recording trends that the press can make important sounding claims about. Science involves a bit more structure so that a hypothesis may suggest clever ways to be tested or to reveal inner structure suggesting mechanism.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#59  Postby jamest » Dec 11, 2016 12:05 am

jamest wrote:
Fenrir wrote:
jamest wrote:
Fenrir wrote:"What is science?" is about as useful as "what is art?"

Not really, as we're supposedly crossing the threshold of subjectivity to objectivity when doing science [as opposed to art].

Driving a car does not make you a car.

What's your point? That science is an object in its own right? :scratch:

The_Metatron wrote:Sure it is. An intangible thing. A process.

An intangible thing is not an object in its own right. [/pedant]
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#60  Postby zoon » Dec 11, 2016 12:05 am

UndercoverElephant wrote:
tuco wrote:@Pebble: I agree. In today's world its pretty much clear who is doing science and who's not. In this sense, I do not quite get the point of this thread, but I do not need to know everything.

There is no point to the thread apart from to explore the question. I'm exploring the question because I am currently writing about this sort of thing, and I'm interested in getting some other perspectives than my own.

The trouble with trying to pin down the meaning of "science" is that, like many words, it has a range of meanings, as, for example, given in Dictionary.com:
a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws:
the mathematical sciences.
systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.
any of the branches of natural or physical science.
systematized knowledge in general.
knowledge, as of facts or principles; knowledge gained by systematic study.
a particular branch of knowledge.
skill, especially reflecting a precise application of facts or principles; proficiency.

The specific narrow meaning of the practice of modern science would probably include peer review and assessment, as given on the Science Council's website:
Science is the pursuit and application of knowledge and understanding of the natural and social world following a systematic methodology based on evidence.

Scientific methodology includes the following:

Objective observation: Measurement and data (possibly although not necessarily using mathematics as a tool)
Evidence
Experiment and/or observation as benchmarks for testing hypotheses
Induction: reasoning to establish general rules or conclusions drawn from facts or examples
Repetition
Critical analysis
Verification and testing: critical exposure to scrutiny, peer review and assessment

While Bertrand Russell's original barnyard fowl, in the chapter on induction in "Problems of Philosophy", was not practising peer review and assessment, it was, as you said in the OP, illustrating the limitations of the principle of induction for all kinds of science:
Bertrand Russell wrote:And this kind of association is not confined to men; in animals also it is very strong. A horse which has been often driven along a certain road resists the attempt to drive him in a different direction. Domestic animals expect food when they see the person who feeds them. We know that all these rather crude expectations of uniformity are liable to be misleading. The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken.

The general principles of science, such as the belief in the reign of law, and the belief that every event must have a cause, are as completely dependent upon the inductive principle as are the beliefs of daily life All such general principles are believed because mankind have found innumerable instances of their truth and no instances of their falsehood. But this affords no evidence for their truth in the future, unless the inductive principle is assumed.

Thus all knowledge which, on a basis of experience tells us something about what is not experienced, is based upon a belief which experience can neither confirm nor confute, yet which, at least in its more concrete applications, appears to be as firmly rooted in us as many of the facts of experience.
zoon

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy