Refuting sadism

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Refuting sadism

#41  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 05, 2010 4:22 pm

THWOTH wrote:those 'weakness' in your argument are mutable entities which you simply invoke or put aside as you see fit.

I don't think any of us would deny that semantics has an effect on human behaviour when people try to communicate. There are areas where semantics produces reliable semaphores (such as scientific and mathematical definitions). Trying to redefine "pleasure" or "suffering" so that they necessarily "interact" interpersonally in some unspecified way, besides not lending any further understanding of Nietzsche's writings, involves stapling modern café Buddhism onto 19th Century romanticism.

It doesn't yield anything reliable. The ambitions of those who play so freely with language while understanding dimly how words affect people's behaviour are like those of people who buy lottery tickets instead of understanding the relation between risk and reward in the world of investments.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Comte de St.-Germain » Jun 05, 2010 10:44 pm

Scott H wrote:
Comte de St.-Germain wrote:Sadism offers a moral theory that abolishes ressentiment, by abolishing 'slave morality'.

You'd think that sadism would worsen slave morality, as more would turn to the belief that those in power to be sadistic are evil.

You mean, it would make it more wide-spread, not that it would worse the slave morality. And no, it would mean the abolition. Unless you believe in hypocrisy. I would argue that de Sade predates a more realistic understanding of human nature as a polar field of forces, and it is in this more simplistic, rational understanding of man, his critique that predates Nietzsche by hundreds of years is fascinating.

Either way, the flaw in slave morality appears to be that the beautiful man himself is despised, rather than his actions.

I don't see many people defending slave morality here. Except you, that is. :lol:

Well, that's what this thread is for! I lay down an argument for sadism that appears to contain a few weaknesses, and I then ask, "What are we going to do with this?" If you don't want to participate in this discussion, you don't have to.

That, my dear, is a strawman and has nothing to do with refuting sadism anymore than a creationist posting a half-witted defence of evolution to be refuted on a creationism board has anything to do with refuting evolution. For someone talking about Sadism, to have such a very poor understanding of the writings of Marquis de Sade (hint, it's named after him) is curious.

shh wrote:
theidiot wrote:
shh wrote:
There is no suggestion that this is true, or should be believed literally, it's something he made up to show what the effects of belief in heaven are.

uhm, does Nietzsche anywhere suggests that it's merely a fictive concept of his?

In flat terms? Maybe not, I can't remember right now tbh, but if I said to you "suppose a demon sneaked up on you one night and said X." would you take it that I was being literal?
He does reject metaphysics strongly and repeatedly, which would cover this story, he denies that metaphysical claims are anything more than fictions.

Implication: You have a boring sexlife.. :naughty2:
Quod tanto impendio absconditur etiam solummodo demonstrare destruere est
Comte de St.-Germain

Name: Franciscus I
Male

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#43  Postby shh » Jun 06, 2010 1:56 am

Comte de St.-Germain wrote:Implication: You have a boring sexlife.. :naughty2:

Lolz, Demons I can do without. :lol:
wiki wrote: despite the fact that chocolate is not a fruit[citation needed]
shh

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Matthew Shute » Jun 07, 2010 2:22 pm

:coffee:
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Scott H » Jun 08, 2010 11:29 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Scott H wrote:If the concepts of pleasure and pain can be adequately based on feeling and sensory experience, and if they can be defined in such a way that a law of nature creates pleasure from another's pain, then we are truly in danger of something horrible and despicable.

... then we are truly in danger from a definition.

I'll revise my statement: if pleasure and pain as they are normally understood to us can be defined in such a way that a law of nature creates pleasure from another's pain, then we are in danger of something horrible and despicable.

Calling the winning argument a "fallacy" is an example of this.

To simply call the arguments I call fallacious 'winning arguments' is itself an instance of the Bare Assertion Fallacy -- and no, it's not a winning argument.

This is why, at the end of the day, a Smith & Wesson beats four aces.

What did I say about the herd of fools?

Incoherent arguments can hoodwink lots of people. This explains the success of religion. We don't need another one. Sensory experience cannot be defined in such a way that a law of nature creates pleasure from another's pain, except by using facile definitions of "pleasure" and "pain". There's a whole "self-help" movement based around that one. It's another form of religion.

Again, I appreciate your willingness to help me confront sadism. But this isn't simply a matter of redefining the words 'pleasure' and 'pain' to fit the worldview of counterbalancing pleasure. This is a matter of the universe (if I may anthropomorphize a little without assuming a deity) lamenting someone's suffering and, as a last resort, granting the sadist himself a sort of compensatory happiness to make up for the suffering of the victim. Add to this the conception of 'eternal recurrence as only oneself' and in the snap of our fingers we have eternal misery, the sort of misery that might compel shootings as that in Virginia Tech.

If we want to protect ourselves from utility monsters, kingdoms of suffering, and even Christianity itself with its obnoxious and juvenile conception of 'Heaven' and 'Hell,' then we must do what is in our power to refute this worldview.

Comte de St.-Germain wrote:I don't see many people defending slave morality here. Except you, that is. :lol:

I'm certainly not defending slave morality in the form Nietzsche put it. Nietzsche seems to have this idea that those in the 'beautiful caste' who act in cruelty are incapable of doing otherwise.

Well, that's what this thread is for! I lay down an argument for sadism that appears to contain a few weaknesses, and I then ask, "What are we going to do with this?" If you don't want to participate in this discussion, you don't have to.

That, my dear, is a strawman [...]

Of whose claim?

We're talking about sadism here, in the common understanding of the term, not the writings of Marquis de Sade. You don't have to read a book about rabbits to know what a rabbit is.
http://www.hoge-essays.com/cdl.html

I will not judge you by the color of your skin. But if I have to, I will judge you by the volume of your subwoofer.
Scott H

Name: Scott Hoge
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Scott H wrote:This is a matter of the universe (if I may anthropomorphize a little without assuming a deity) lamenting someone's suffering and, as a last resort, granting the sadist himself a sort of compensatory happiness to make up for the suffering of the victim.

Yes, but I've made a personal decision never to discourse like that in earnest. However, I am willing to experiment with the language of ordinary armchair human psychology to say that one (intentional) portion of the universe may project onto another such portion of the universe the notion that some happiness is at the expense of some suffering. That's how I define "projection". So, in one sense, that is happening in the universe. Philosophically, there's no way out of the morass. If we ask how to change that state of affairs, any program in which progress is possible will require something to measure. Of course, the opposite of "progress" is "eternal return". Travel on a helix different from traveling on a circle, dimensionally.

Note that we are exploring this according to the notion of "expense". It's a fundamentally "economic" model. You know, the old "psychic economy". This is non-technical language.

Scott H wrote:I'll revise my statement: if pleasure and pain as they are normally understood to us can be defined in such a way that a law of nature creates pleasure from another's pain, then we are in danger of something horrible and despicable.

Well, if we anthropomorphise a little, other than a personal opinion that something horrible and despicable is going on, the universe may "lament" that something horrible and despicable is going on. The universe must suffer for the sins of mankind. Do I need to put a smiley after that one? OK: :dance:

Scott H wrote:
This is why, at the end of the day, a Smith & Wesson beats four aces.

What did I say about the herd of fools?

Indeed, the poor universe must go on lamenting such folly for all eternity, unless (of course) we can arrange for human beings to become extinct. However, as I like to say, extinction's probably too good for 'em. In that moralistic frame, it might make sense to talk about an "eternity" of suffering. Human extinction would solve this one in a heartbeat, because we don't have any conception of "suffering" that is not a human conception of suffering. Unless you think like a rabbit.

pleasure and pain as they are normally understood to us

That derails the discussion into seeking a definition of "normal", as opposed to a definition of "suffering". But I think that is precisely your focus, and has been from the get-go. Personally, I don't traffic in "normal" outside the context of "the normal distribution", because relativism always rears its lovely little head. The wings of the distribution always suffer terribly at the hands of the fat part of the bell curve. It's a problem of obesity, not of "normalcy".

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Scott H » Jun 08, 2010 10:18 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Scott H wrote:This is a matter of the universe (if I may anthropomorphize a little without assuming a deity) lamenting someone's suffering and, as a last resort, granting the sadist himself a sort of compensatory happiness to make up for the suffering of the victim.

Yes, but I've made a personal decision never to discourse like that in earnest. However, I am willing to experiment with the language of ordinary armchair human psychology to say that one (intentional) portion of the universe may project onto another such portion of the universe the notion that some happiness is at the expense of some suffering.

In our case, I refer to a law of nature that guarantees pleasure to compensate pain. So it's not merely that pleasure exists at the expense of suffering, but rather, a certain amount of suffering guarantees a certain amount of pleasure.

Well, if we anthropomorphise a little, other than a personal opinion that something horrible and despicable is going on, the universe may "lament" that something horrible and despicable is going on. The universe must suffer for the sins of mankind. Do I need to put a smiley after that one? OK: :dance:

It may be necessary for the universe to recognize and compensate for suffering, and even beautiful for it to do so, but our great fear is that it will somehow reward the bringers of suffering, rather than the sufferers themselves.

pleasure and pain as they are normally understood to us

That derails the discussion into seeking a definition of "normal", as opposed to a definition of "suffering".

If we tried to define every word in every definition, we would never truly define anything. As any good student of logic knows, we must eventually have recourse to sense experience and define words by means of social gestures.

For instance, I can point at the sky and say, "Blue." Before it was discovered that blue was a wavelength of light, that may perhaps have been the only way to define 'blue.' Similarly, we may one day end up defining 'pain.'

But I think that is precisely your focus, and has been from the get-go. Personally, I don't traffic in "normal" outside the context of "the normal distribution", because relativism always rears its lovely little head. The wings of the distribution always suffer terribly at the hands of the fat part of the bell curve. It's a problem of obesity, not of "normalcy".

A normal distribution would require that certain degrees of pain be satisfied at certain frequencies, and that only pain outside certain intervals be classified as the 'normally understood' level at which pain is to be finally called pain. However, I'm referring to pain as a concept in itself and not as something that can be definitively judged in every person (though in some cases, it may).

I will not judge you by the color of your skin. But if I have to, I will judge you by the volume of your subwoofer.
Scott H

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#48  Postby THWOTH » Jun 08, 2010 11:07 pm

Francois Marie Arouet wrote:Pleasure is the object, the duty and the goal of all rational creatures.

Democritus wrote:Throw moderation to the winds, and the greatest pleasures bring the greatest pains.

Bertrand Russell wrote:The coward wretch whose hand and heart
Can bear to torture aught below,
Is ever first to quail and start
From the slightest pain or equal foe.

Scott H wrote:I can point at the sky and say, "Blue." Before it was discovered that blue was a wavelength of light, that may perhaps have been the only way to define 'blue.' Similarly, we may one day end up defining 'pain.'
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby shh » Jun 08, 2010 11:15 pm

Scott H wrote:It may be necessary for the universe to recognize and compensate for suffering, and even beautiful for it to do so, but our great fear is that it will somehow reward the bringers of suffering, rather than the sufferers themselves.

Skipping over the necessity for the universe to recognise, let alone compensate for pain, who does "our" refer to? :scratch:
shh

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Scott H » Jun 09, 2010 11:09 am

shh wrote:Skipping over the necessity for the universe to recognise, let alone compensate for pain, who does "our" refer to? :scratch:

Anyone who's not a stupid sadist.

Scott H

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#51  Postby shh » Jun 09, 2010 1:05 pm

Lmao, I must be a particularly stupid sadist then. Or a particularly sadistic stupid...:lol:
shh

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#52  Postby theidiot » Jun 09, 2010 4:04 pm

shh wrote:Lmao, I must be a particularly stupid sadist then. Or a particularly sadistic stupid...:lol:

Ah, how those religious shadows just loom over our little children.
theidiot

Print view this post

#53  Postby shh » Jun 09, 2010 5:21 pm

theidiot wrote:
Ah, how those religious shadows just loom over our little children.

Not sure what Scott's describing qualifies as religin, it's certainly shadowy though. :naughty2:
shh

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#54  Postby jaydot » Jun 09, 2010 6:58 pm

"refute sadism" - how would one go about that?

first of all, sadism is a necessary component of the 'fight' response, which enabled our ancestors to refrain from flinching at their prey's pain. the compassionate hunter seeks to kill quickly and as painlessly as possible using the bullet, the knife. with only a pointy stick, or club, our far rellies had a harder time of it and their prey probably suffered considerably, especially if it escaped, as the poor elephant did when machine-gunned somewhere in an african 'sanctuary'.

it is not a matter of 'what is', more a matter of 'appropriate'. there are those that enjoy a little consensual sadism. it is the non-consensual that is to be eschewed.
jaydot

Print view this post

#55  Postby Scott H » Jun 10, 2010 12:23 am

jaydot wrote:first of all, sadism is a necessary component of the 'fight' response, which enabled our ancestors to refrain from flinching at their prey's pain. the compassionate hunter seeks to kill quickly and as painlessly as possible using the bullet, the knife. with only a pointy stick, or club, our far rellies had a harder time of it and their prey probably suffered considerably, especially if it escaped, as the poor elephant did when machine-gunned somewhere in an african 'sanctuary'.

Fortunately, we live in an advanced enough age where we do not have to hunt for food.

it is not a matter of 'what is', more a matter of 'appropriate'. there are those that enjoy a little consensual sadism. it is the non-consensual that is to be eschewed.

I'm referring to non-sexual sadism, where another's suffering is sought for amusement as an end by the sadist.

Scott H

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#56  Postby jaydot » Jun 10, 2010 3:03 pm

quite - non-consensual.
jaydot

Print view this post

#57  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 10, 2010 4:53 pm

Scott H wrote:

I'm referring to non-sexual sadism, where another's suffering is sought for amusement as an end by the sadist.

I haven't consented to your defining every term for me, including "amusement".

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Matthew Shute » Jun 11, 2010 2:29 pm

The posts by the OP in this thread are giving me a headache, but I'm safe in the knowledge that Scott is not going to enjoy my suffering. Phew.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Scott H » Jun 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:

But if you suffer as a result of my defining every term, I do so merely as a means to eliminate suffering, and not as an end to make you suffer.

Matthew Shute wrote:The posts by the OP in this thread are giving me a headache, but I'm safe in the knowledge that Scott is not going to enjoy my suffering. Phew.

Is there anything about my writing style that you dislike?

Scott H

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 11, 2010 6:10 pm

Scott H wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

But if you suffer as a result of my defining every term, I do so merely as a means to eliminate suffering, and not as an end to make you suffer.

Well, there you have it. I don't much care whether or not your intent is to make people suffer, or whether or not you believe your intent is not to cause people suffering. If "intent" was reliable, wishes would be horses. If your methodology was explicit, beyond "defining every term", we could explore where it led. You haven't even really tried to define "amusement", though, have you? Not explicitly, as it were. My comment alludes to that.
You may amuse yourself by imagining that you are on a mission to eliminate suffering. That's fine with me. We all need to keep amused:
Fallible wrote:
Scott H wrote:
To answer your third and fourth questions, I myself care about everyone's suffering. I meditate throughout the day on everyone else's consciousness.

Care in what way? Because you've said things to me in this thread which would affect a less confident person adversely, causing them some suffering. There's no indication that that bothered you at all. You didn't even apologise when such was pointed out.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy