The philosophy of individual taste

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The philosophy of individual taste

#81  Postby Little Idiot » Jan 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Thommo wrote:

The second - it follows if the clone was still "exactly" the same at the point it was placed in the car. If all the circumstances are exactly the same, then the outcome is presumably exactly the same (well up to a point, even a physicalist might contend that human behaviour can be subject to quantum uncertainty and that therefore there is no "exactly" the same, but I'll wave that aside).

And there is the difference in interpretation.

I'd say the two different minds share identical bodies, but would be no more likely to both do the crime from the same stimulus that a pair of identical twins.
Not due to cosmic rays bombarding the brain, but because they are different minds in similar (identical) bodies.

Yours is a far too mechanistic interpretation, IMO. It dont work like that. Even me myself will react differently to comparable stimuli depending on how I feel at the time if I am tired hungry etc ect
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#82  Postby Thommo » Jan 09, 2016 4:22 pm

Little Idiot wrote:I'd say the two different minds share identical bodies, but would be no more likely to both do the crime from the same stimulus that a pair of identical twins.
Not due to cosmic rays bombarding the brain, but because they are different minds in similar (identical) bodies.

Yours is a far too mechanistic interpretation, IMO. It dont work like that. Even me myself will react differently to comparable stimuli depending on how I feel at the time if I am tired hungry etc ect

So, you think James is trying to refute physicalism and claiming no physicalist account of taste is possible by assuming physicalism is false? And you think that's something you should agree with?

Like I said originally, that bodes very poorly for anyone who invests time in reading your lengthy account. I don't think anyone here contends to be able to refute idealism (although, yeah, James's version is a safe bet for containing actual contradictions).

Edit:Sorry, snipped part of my original response somehow.

Little Idiot wrote:IYours is a far too mechanistic interpretation, IMO. It dont work like that. Even me myself will react differently to comparable stimuli depending on how I feel at the time if I am tired hungry etc ect

And what's that supposed to show? Do you think your brain and body and environment is always identical (or even any of those) every time you are hungry or tired? Do you actually think that physicalists believe that?

The reason I opt for a mechanistic interpretation is because that's what the evidence shows. Electrons behave the same whether inside a brain, inside a living being or inside an inert substance. Protons, Neutrons also. Atoms. Molecules. Yet if the gun is "exactly" the same, then the pulling of the trigger will result in the firing of the bullet in just the same way. If the arm is the same, then stimulation of the "exact" same nerves will result in the finger twitching in the exact same way. If the "brain" is the same then it will result in outputting the same electrical impulses based on the same inputs.

Ahh, but all this is overridden by mind in your view (i.e. explicitly rejecting ordinary physics). Let's overlook that rejection, and the gap of any method by which this override can take place. And consider what you're saying. That two exact clones would not have the same mind. Why? That's not a given on idealism. It's yet another additional assumption. And one that goes directly against evidence. We might not have exactly similar brains to compare, but we have somewhat similar ones. We can see that humans with their additional tastebuds react consistently to sugar and chocolate when compared to cats. We can see how identical twins with similar brains exposed to similar cooking in childhood end up with similar tastes for food. The more similar the brain, the more similar the tastes. Flies love the taste of dung, humans tend not to.
Last edited by Thommo on Jan 09, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#83  Postby Thommo » Jan 09, 2016 4:24 pm

Little Idiot wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:Well, only if you assume thats the case.

Assume what is the case?

Assume the case is that there is no value in the sentences you quoted as vacuous. that they are nonsense etc

It's not an assumption, it's a matching of the words to their meanings. I did actually read the post. More than once in fact.

Take your latest disagreement - you believe physicalism is false and you justify this by explaining that you believe a particular application of physicalism would be false. It's vacuous. You haven't told me anything I didn't already know. It provides no motivation for you or anyone else to accept your position.
Thommo

Print view this post

#84  Postby Little Idiot » Jan 09, 2016 4:34 pm

Thommo wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:I'd say the two different minds share identical bodies, but would be no more likely to both do the crime from the same stimulus that a pair of identical twins.

So, you think James is trying to refute physicalism and claiming no physicalist account of taste is possible by assuming physicalism is false? And you think that's something you should agree with?

You lost me, we aren't we talking about clones because I (maybe foolishly) exposed the topic of individuality which I was (so I claim) not initially making explicit.
Whats that to do with Jamest and taste and physicalist assumptions?

I stated I had not read the thread, and with respect I wasnt talking about the content of the thread other than the point of clarification I asked him. Being a good communicator (despite what people will say) his answer was clear {yes. new paragraph}
So I picked up there and responded to him as I felt was best. As I explained when I 'translated'

Like I said originally, that bodes very poorly for anyone who invests time in reading your lengthy account. I don't think anyone here contends to be able to refute idealism (although, yeah, James's version is a safe bet for containing actual contradictions).

Yeah, I think its reasonable to say that from metaphysics alone the case between idealism and physicalism is too close to call. The conclusion depend entirely on the starting assumptions, and neither side can accept the other sides starting assumptions.

Thats exaclty why 'bottom up' wouldnt work, I'd never get out of the blocks, so I tried 'top down'

At least it will introduce a new perspective, and if I am successful may make one or two people think in new ways for a while.
What more can I hope to get for my (considerable) effort constructing the over view so far presented?
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#85  Postby Thommo » Jan 09, 2016 4:44 pm

Little Idiot wrote:You lost me, we aren't we talking about clones because I (maybe foolishly) exposed the topic of individuality which I was (so I claim) not initially making explicit.

That question is incomplete. Do you mean we "are" talking about clones for that reason?

Little Idiot wrote:I stated I had not read the thread, and with respect I wasnt talking about the content of the thread other than the point of clarification I asked him. Being a good communicator (despite what people will say) his answer was clear {yes. new paragraph}
So I picked up there and responded to him as I felt was best. As I explained when I 'translated'

Oh, so when you said you hadn't read the thread that included the OP? Because I assumed from the fact that you quoted James and answered him and said you agreed with him meant you'd read *something*. If not, my bad, although I feel that does open up a rather obvious criticism that maybe you should have read something before explaining what it meant and agreeing with it.

Little Idiot wrote:

Yeah, I think its reasonable to say that from metaphysics alone the case between idealism and physicalism is too close to call. The conclusion depend entirely on the starting assumptions, and neither side can accept the other sides starting assumptions.

Possibly because your starting assumptions include rejecting not just physicalism, but physics and accepting idealism and its consequences - which are your conclusions.

I mean, I agree that if we all assume idealism is true that it follows that idealism is true. But this is what is called "vacuous".

And just for the record, if we took all the assumptions that both you and I were willing to make, we would be justified in reaching my conclusion on the idealism/physicalism debate - that is "I do not accept idealism", "I do not accept physicalism".

Little Idiot wrote:Thats exaclty why 'bottom up' wouldnt work, I'd never get out of the blocks, so I tried 'top down'

At least it will introduce a new perspective, and if I am successful may make one or two people think in new ways for a while.
What more can I hope to get for my (considerable) effort constructing the over view so far presented?

Not to me, I like reason, logic and new ideas. Extensive descriptions of someone's belief and dogma bore me to tears. I'm glad we had this exchange, because it will definitely save me some time and frustration reading your contributions in the other thread. Perhaps others are more interested, best of luck with it.

ETA:Yeah, I'm not going mad. I'm not assuming you read James's post. You said you had. I'm not assuming you attributed the position to James, you explicitly did.
Little Idiot wrote:Sorry, I did skip the entire thread other than one or two of your posts (I hope you dont mind)

Little Idiot wrote:Jamest is right that individuality of humans is an issue which individual instances of physical brains does not and can not fully account for.
I did not bother to mention the issue of individuality as it was not necessary for me to be so explicit on the level at I was talking to Jamest, (as idealist to idealist) and I took it as implicit that this was what he was hearing because this is what I was saying.
Thommo

Print view this post

#86  Postby Little Idiot » Jan 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Thommo wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:You lost me, we aren't we talking about clones because I (maybe foolishly) exposed the topic of individuality which I was (so I claim) not initially making explicit.

That question is incomplete. Do you mean we "are" talking about clones for that reason?
Apologies, a typo. I corrected above

Little Idiot wrote:I stated I had not read the thread, and with respect I wasnt talking about the content of the thread other than the point of clarification I asked him. Being a good communicator (despite what people will say) his answer was clear {yes. new paragraph}

Oh, so when you said you hadn't read the thread that included the OP? Because I assumed from the fact that you quoted James and answered him and said you agreed with him meant you'd read *something*. If not, my bad, although I feel that does open up a rather obvious criticism that maybe you should have read something before explaining what it meant and agreeing with it.

What I mean, strangely enough is what I originally said. I read some but not all of Jamest's posts not the whole thread means I didnt read any responses. I didnt say that explicity because it could be taken as making me look like much more of an arrogant ass than I am. <I deny being arrogant, no comment on ass :smoke: >
I did also say sorry that I hadnt read it, because it was already several pages long, and I asked Jamest if my short summary was accurate....I think were going round in circles here

Why the inquiry?

Little Idiot wrote:

Possibly because your starting assumptions include rejecting not just physicalism, but physics and accepting idealism and its consequences - which are your conclusions.

I mean, I agree that if we all assume idealism is true that it follows that idealism is true. But this is what is called "vacuous".

Strong Strawman, but straw through and trough - its simply wrong to say I reject physics. Can you quote me once ever having said that? I doubt it, really.

And just for the record, if we took all the assumptions that both you and I were willing to make, we would be justified in reaching my conclusion on the idealism/physicalism debate - that is "I do not accept idealism", "I do not accept physicalism".

Fair enough comment.
I dont buy either side myself. I just know that when I say 'its all mental' it gives the gist of my position. mentalism is suggestive of the gist, as I said in 'reveal part 1' definitions.

I went into more detail today, but if you dont want to bother with reading it, (as you said below) thats your choice

Little Idiot wrote:Thats exaclty why 'bottom up' wouldnt work, I'd never get out of the blocks, so I tried 'top down'

Not to me, I like reason, logic and new ideas. Extensive descriptions of someone's belief and dogma bore me to tears. I'm glad we had this exchange, because it will definitely save me some time and frustration reading your contributions in the other thread. Perhaps others are more interested, best of luck with it.

Fair enough, you choose.
Obviously I can only scratch my head at your position which seems to be 'I dont like that you didnt disagree strongly enough with Jamest, so from what you said in Jamest's thread so I know I dont need to read your other post in the other thread'

Its almost like some kind of a school yard gang thing; if I bash on Jamest you'll let me in the gang
<which I know it is not, I'll never be in the gang. I just see a similar behaviour pattern>

ETA:Yeah, I'm not going mad. I'm not assuming you read James's post. You said you had. I'm not assuming you attributed the position to James, you explicitly did.
Little Idiot wrote:Sorry, I did skip the entire thread other than one or two of your posts (I hope you dont mind)

Little Idiot wrote:Jamest is right that individuality of humans is an issue which individual instances of physical brains does not and can not fully account for.
I did not bother to mention the issue of individuality as it was not necessary for me to be so explicit on the level at I was talking to Jamest, (as idealist to idealist) and I took it as implicit that this was what he was hearing because this is what I was saying.

I did not tell you I read none of Jamest's posts, how could I have summarized his several posts in a few lines without enough to get the gist reading it?
Your line of thinking is really beyond me at this time, sorry. I dont know what were talking about, why were talking about it nor what you think I can/should say...
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#87  Postby Little Idiot » Jan 09, 2016 7:05 pm

Ahh, but all this is overridden by mind in your view (i.e. explicitly rejecting ordinary physics).

Just that; thats not what physics says.
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#88  Postby Thommo » Jan 09, 2016 7:19 pm

Little Idiot wrote:
Thommo wrote:

Apologies, a typo. I corrected above

What I mean, strangely enough is what I originally said. I read some but not all of Jamest's posts not the whole tread means I didnt read any responses. I didnt say that explicity because it could be taken as making me look like much more of an arrogant ass than I am. <I deny being arrogant, no comment on ass :smoke: >
I did also say sorry that I hadnt read it, because it was already several pages long, and I asked Jamest if my short summary was accurate....I think were going round in circles here

Why the inquiry?

The edit cleared it up. Because you stated that you agreed with what James was saying and that you "implicitly" knew what he meant (You prefaced the whole passage with "Jamest is right that individuality of humans..."), and that what he meant was [that thing you said] to which I was responding, at which point you asked what it had to do with James.

Or to put it clearly, you said that's what he meant, so I'm completely at liberty to reply under the supposition you were correct and point out how it conflicts with what he actually said and not accept any prevarication based on you "state[ing] I had not read the thread".

At this point you're still using my mention of James (which I've now justified) as a stall on providing an answer to the question of whether what you said actually provides any support for the contention that an explanation of individual tastes is impossible on the physical view, or whether in fact it was circular nonsense about assuming idealism and concluding idealism.

Little Idiot wrote:

Little Idiot wrote:

Strong Strawman, but straw through and trough - its simply wrong to say I reject physics. Can you quote me once ever having said that? I doubt it, really.

Saying it, no. Doing it, yes. And already have done.

At the top of this page you explicitly say that:-

This is not compatible with physics. If the same brain receives the same input, then it will give the same output. A brain is composed of atoms, molecules, protons, neutrons and electrons, all of which behave identically in a non-living thing, in a living thing or in a brain. This is a basic finding of physics.

If the output of the brain is the same, then the reaction of the (physically identical) arm to the (physically identical) electrical impulse is the same. The physically identical finger will pull the trigger of the physically identical gun.

Little Idiot wrote:Fair enough, you choose.
Obviously I can only scratch my head at your position which seems to be 'I dont like that you didnt disagree strongly enough with Jamest, so from what you said in Jamest's thread so I know I dont need to read your other post in the other thread'

Its almost like some kind of a school yard gang thing; if I bash on Jamest you'll let me in the gang
<which I know it is not, I'll never be in the gang. I just see a similar behaviour pattern>

It's nothing like that. I'd not have said a word had you not posted. Or posted neutrally. Or posted anything other than agreement with an obviously bullshit argument. I don't care whether you bash Jamest, I care whether you are capable of identifying the good arguments for your position (or any position) from the bad. If you post support for an absolute royal stinker of epic proportions it so undermines my confidence in your ability that it makes me re-evaluate whether I should be listening to anything you have to say on related matters.

I think the fact you later stated your support by explicitly stating the opposite of what James is saying is a bigger clue as to what's really going on here.
Little Idiot wrote:Their theory is enough to explain individual taste

jamest wrote:the essential problem here [therefore] is that a universal explanation for individual taste cannot in principle ever be forthcoming

You want to see where the ganging up and taking sides is going on? Can you quote me saying I agree with something then stating that agreement as the statement of the exact opposite anywhere in this thread?

Little Idiot wrote:I did not tell you I read none of Jamest's posts, how could I have summarized his several posts in a few lines without enough to get the gist reading it?
Your line of thinking is really beyond me at this time, sorry. I dont know what were talking about, why were talking about it nor what you think I can/should say...

You asked me what it had to do with James. I was confirming that it was actually really fucking obvious what it had to do with him. You said you agreed with him and were explaining what (you think) he meant. I had replied under that assumption, but then you embarked on this "what does that have to do with James? Why shouldn't I agree with him?" line of questioning.
Thommo

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Philosophy