The World Mind Argument

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The World Mind Argument

#3221  Postby jamest » Oct 27, 2016 7:33 pm

GrahamH wrote:
jamest wrote:and one's ethics is contingent upon one's metaphysics...

Why would it be?

Ethics are the moral principles held by a person or persons which govern their behaviour. I'm at a loss to comprehend how an intelligent person or body of people could formulate such moral principles without some overarching worldview (metaphysics) underpinning them.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3222  Postby SpeedOfSound » Oct 27, 2016 7:34 pm

BWE wrote:
jamest wrote:
BWE wrote:I pretty much stopped reading when I figured out what he was trying to say. For me it's all about the utility and utility is inextricable from ethics

You seem caught within a vicious circle. I mean, if it's all about the utility and utility is inextricable from ethics and one's ethics is contingent upon one's metaphysics, then you're fucked.

It's not contingent on my metaphysics, it's contingent on my motivation.

I pretty much do ethics 'from the heart'. I trust my biology on that one. I developed an interesting set of emotions around all of that killing and preparing of animals. I think one of the stressors that led to my satori experience was being immersed in that strange nurturing violence from my first memory, at three, of seeing my dad kill a cow. What came out of it was a strange warmth and earthy relationship to the animals that we raised and ate. I'm a meat-eater 'from the heart' and no amount of logical schema seems to change that.

Yet, today I could not kill like that and in fact I have taken on the whole river valley out here in an entitlement program of free food-fur-all. (see what I did there? 8-)

Still. I'm going to be chomping a ribeye later from the plastic world.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#3223  Postby SpeedOfSound » Oct 27, 2016 7:35 pm

jamest wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Why would it be?

Ethics are the moral principles held by a person or persons which govern their behaviour. I'm at a loss to comprehend how an intelligent person or body of people could formulate such moral principles without some overarching worldview (metaphysics) underpinning them.

That's not ethics. That is Pure Fucking Evil. Takes one a while to understand why I would say that.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#3224  Postby jamest » Oct 27, 2016 7:38 pm

BWE wrote:
jamest wrote:
BWE wrote:I pretty much stopped reading when I figured out what he was trying to say. For me it's all about the utility and utility is inextricable from ethics

You seem caught within a vicious circle. I mean, if it's all about the utility and utility is inextricable from ethics and one's ethics is contingent upon one's metaphysics, then you're fucked.

You're not making much sense [to me]. Are you saying that your ethics are a product of the desires [which motivate you]? Because the innate desires which motivate you have little in common with ethics, if anything at all.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3225  Postby BWE » Oct 27, 2016 7:41 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
BWE wrote:
jamest wrote:

I pretty much do ethics 'from the heart'. I trust my biology on that one. I developed an interesting set of emotions around all of that killing and preparing of animals. I think one of the stressors that led to my satori experience was being immersed in that strange nurturing violence from my first memory, at three, of seeing my dad kill a cow. What came out of it was a strange warmth and earthy relationship to the animals that we raised and ate. I'm a meat-eater 'from the heart' and no amount of logical schema seems to change that.

Yet, today I could not kill like that and in fact I have taken on the whole river valley out here in an entitlement program of free food-fur-all. (see what I did there? 8-)

It is either a deeply philosophical experience or it is an ethically stunting experience. I've written quite a few essays on the nature of killing things in a production environment. I worked a mobile slaughter truck for a year and that was immensely less stressful. Except the one time my boss shot the wrong cow. That was stressful.
BWE

Print view this post

#3226  Postby BWE » Oct 27, 2016 7:44 pm

jamest wrote:
BWE wrote:
jamest wrote:

You're not making much sense [to me]. Are you saying that your ethics are a product of the desires [which motivate you]? Because the innate desires which motivate you have little in common with ethics, if anything at all.

You are thinking too small. I am motivated to be happy. I have found that ethics are a necessary component of the larger landscape of happiness. Keeping those negative vibes to a minimum. :)
BWE

Print view this post

#3227  Postby jamest » Oct 27, 2016 7:46 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
BWE wrote:
jamest wrote:

I pretty much do ethics 'from the heart'. I trust my biology on that one.

Look, behaving like an animal in-line with nature's drives has fuck all to do with ethics. If it does, then humanity is the only species of life worthy of the title "unethical"... and even then, only when resisting said drives.

Ethics, squire, is the beacon of all beacons distinguishing [many of] us from the rest of life.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3228  Postby BWE » Oct 27, 2016 7:51 pm

jamest wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Why would it be?

I am at a loss to comprehend how an intelligent person or body of people could require some overarching worldview to reason out what will make them happy. There's a reason we know that heroin and rape and robbery are ethically wrong and it has nothing to do with metaphysical speculation. Cultures and norms change.
BWE

Print view this post

#3229  Postby jamest » Oct 27, 2016 7:52 pm

BWE wrote:
jamest wrote:

You are thinking too small. I am motivated to be happy. I have found that ethics are a necessary component of the larger landscape of happiness. Keeping those negative vibes to a minimum. :)

Then what makes you happy? If it's not the fulfilment of your natural desires which motivate you, then which moral principles are your happiness founded upon? And [then] which metaphysics are those founded upon? ;)
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3230  Postby BWE » Oct 27, 2016 7:53 pm

jamest wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
BWE wrote:
jamest wrote:

Look, behaving like an animal in-line with nature's drives has fuck all to do with ethics. If it does, then humanity is the only species of life worthy of the title "unethical"... and even then, only when resisting said drives.

Ethics, squire, is the beacon of all beacons distinguishing [many of] us from the rest of life.

Your gut tells you that you would like to fart. Your brain tells you the client might be annoyed.
BWE

Print view this post

#3231  Postby SpeedOfSound » Oct 27, 2016 7:53 pm

BWE wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
BWE wrote:
jamest wrote:

It is either a deeply philosophical experience or it is an ethically stunting experience. I've written quite a few essays on the nature of killing things in a production environment. I worked a mobile slaughter truck for a year and that was immensely less stressful. Except the one time my boss shot the wrong cow. That was stressful.

I saw some real bad shit! 99% of the time it goes very well but then...
Fortunate I was to be in a much more personal and less productive environment.

What was good is that I did not have this perfect little life where I only saw positive shit. all G movies and such. I got the Real and as a result I think a balance with life that is not to be had any other way.
Last edited by SpeedOfSound on Oct 27, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#3232  Postby BWE » Oct 27, 2016 7:54 pm

jamest wrote:
BWE wrote:
jamest wrote:

Then what makes you happy? If it's not the fulfilment of your natural desires which motivate you, then which moral principles are your happiness founded upon? And [then] which metaphysics are those founded upon? ;)

What I discovered is that I'm already happy. The trick is to keep from making myself unhappy.
BWE

Print view this post

#3233  Postby SpeedOfSound » Oct 27, 2016 7:56 pm

jamest wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
BWE wrote:
jamest wrote:

How do you think humans survived before metaphysics? Before language? By eating each other's children?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#3234  Postby BWE » Oct 27, 2016 7:56 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
BWE wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
BWE wrote:

I saw some real bad shit! 99% of the time it goes very well but then...
Fortunate I was to be in a much more personal and less productive environment.

What was good is that I did not have this perfect little life where I only saw positive shit. all G movies and such. I got the Real and as a result I think a balance with life that is not to be had any other way.

Most people resort to torture within a very short time because it's convenient and it works. It messes a lot of people's heads.

Edit: And by most I mean all of the people I've ever seen do the knocking job. Maybe 20? But yeah, 100%. It's pretty amazing how once you detach, there is no empathy. We think we are all individually above it but all it no one is. You just need the right circumstances. The people who settle in to the job sometimes stop torturing the animals but I think it's only because you discover more efficient means of getting them to do what you want.
Last edited by BWE on Oct 27, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BWE

Print view this post

#3235  Postby jamest » Oct 27, 2016 7:57 pm

BWE wrote:
jamest wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Why would it be?

I am at a loss to comprehend how an intelligent person or body of people could require some overarching worldview to reason out what will make them happy. There's a reason we know that heroin and rape and robbery are ethically wrong and it has nothing to do with metaphysical speculation. Cultures and norms change.

Try fully explaining why crime & drugs are wrong without eventually confronting your worldview. The alternative is to have your explanation exposed as being empty... unfounded.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3236  Postby BWE » Oct 27, 2016 8:06 pm

jamest wrote:
BWE wrote:
jamest wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Why would it be?

Try fully explaining why crime & drugs are wrong without eventually confronting your worldview. The alternative is to have your explanation exposed as being empty... unfounded.

Easy, because the consequences make me unhappy.
BWE

Print view this post

#3237  Postby LucidFlight » Oct 27, 2016 8:06 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:How do you think humans survived before metaphysics? Before language? By eating each other's children?

Yeah, and stealing bread and smoking marijuana. :naughty:
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3238  Postby BWE » Oct 27, 2016 8:17 pm

damnit now I've got that song stuck in my head.
BWE

Print view this post

#3239  Postby GrahamH » Oct 27, 2016 8:32 pm

jamest wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Why would it be?

Are you really at a loss?

Some people use metaphysics to rationalise their biases (social and anti-social), but who really gets their ethics from metaphysics? Do you really believe in that?
What metaphysics really entail a clear set of ethics? All those I have encountered, including yours, could justify all sorts of things I personally find unethical.
Last edited by GrahamH on Oct 28, 2016 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#3240  Postby Sendraks » Oct 27, 2016 9:04 pm

jamest wrote:

You're making an appeal to incredulity about the origins of the moral behaviours of human beings, despite that very subject having been discussed at length on Ratskep a number of times and the explanations being well understood by those with a grounding in evolution.

Sorry, no great metaphysical explanation needed, just simple species survival.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy