The World Mind Argument

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The World Mind Argument

#961  Postby BWE » Sep 25, 2016 3:26 pm

Little Idiot wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:
newolder wrote:LI, It is a known fact you have not shown ‘undivided awareness’ exists beyond your language logic.

And I don't claim to have done so, yet, because the first step is to show the concept 'undivided awareness' doesn't contradict any known facts. The first step, even if shown would not show the concept 'undivided awareness' represents anything.

I think I have made that clear enough.

I think we can agree that a meaningless concept does not contradict any known facts, but that really doesn't help you.

If you agree the concept 'undivided awareness' doesn't contradict any known facts, then I would have to demonstrate that it is a concept with meaning, which would be a different and subsequent task, of course.

For me, that is the only part that matters. I'm totally happy to accept whatever propositions you want to make in order to get to the part where it has meaning.
BWE

Print view this post

#962  Postby Little Idiot » Sep 25, 2016 3:29 pm

BWE wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:

And I don't claim to have done so, yet, because the first step is to show the concept 'undivided awareness' doesn't contradict any known facts. The first step, even if shown would not show the concept 'undivided awareness' represents anything.

I think we can agree that a meaningless concept does not contradict any known facts, but that really doesn't help you.

If you agree the concept 'undivided awareness' doesn't contradict any known facts, then I would have to demonstrate that it is a concept with meaning, which would be a different and subsequent task, of course.

For me, that is the only part that matters. I'm totally happy to accept whatever propositions you want to make in order to get to the part where it has meaning.

Yes, exactly.
Semantics is Satans Gift to philosophers!
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#963  Postby BWE » Sep 25, 2016 3:31 pm

Can you just give me a preview?
BWE

Print view this post

#964  Postby Little Idiot » Sep 25, 2016 3:36 pm

BWE wrote:Can you just give me a preview?

I am willing to try.
If you can give me a guide what you want me to attempt to offer, you'll be more likely to get it.
What exactly would you like me to spout about preview? Undivided awareness or the whole show?
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#965  Postby Arnold Layne » Sep 25, 2016 3:37 pm

Little Idiot wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:
(which isnt what undivided awareness is, its not the sum of all individuals)

Can you get past what it isn't to
say what it is?

It is absolute reality, I said that already, many times.
We all know (rough versions of) the story, no need to start right at the beginning, lets cut to the chase. If mentalism has it wrong about reality, mentalism is just another S' system like any other.

But I am on a mission to establish that mentalism is the metaphysical system not a metaphysical system, and this is the very first step.

The whole story involves metaphysics and going beyond metaphysics to applying the conclusions to activity and merging the metaphysics (thought) with mysticism (feeling) and activity (action) in a synthesis greater than the sum of the parts. I spelled that out too in the overview. If we finish the course we will end with 'insight into reality', which I say is a latent capacity we can deliberately activate, but again, I have said that already.

A fly just landed on my screen and shat on this post.
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#966  Postby GrahamH » Sep 25, 2016 3:38 pm

Little Idiot wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:
newolder wrote:LI, It is a known fact you have not shown ‘undivided awareness’ exists beyond your language logic.

How can anyone agree anything about a meaningless concept?
Stop this nonsense!
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#967  Postby Little Idiot » Sep 25, 2016 3:40 pm

Arnold Layne wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:

say what it is?

We all know (rough versions of) the story, no need to start right at the beginning, lets cut to the chase. If mentalism has it wrong about reality, mentalism is just another S' system like any other.

But I am on a mission to establish that mentalism is the metaphysical system not a metaphysical system, and this is the very first step.

The whole story involves metaphysics and going beyond metaphysics to applying the conclusions to activity and merging the metaphysics (thought) with mysticism (feeling) and activity (action) in a synthesis greater than the sum of the parts. I spelled that out too in the overview. If we finish the course we will end with 'insight into reality', which I say is a latent capacity we can deliberately activate, but again, I have said that already.

Synchronicity, it must be!
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#968  Postby GrahamH » Sep 25, 2016 3:41 pm

Little Idiot wrote:Well it is all the way back here at post 380 (almost 600 posts back - keeping track of the meta FTW) where you asked these two questions and this line of exchange started.

380 isn't even your post!
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#969  Postby GrahamH » Sep 25, 2016 3:44 pm

Little Idiot wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:

say what it is?

"Cut to the chase"? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
CUt to the wild goose chase more like.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#970  Postby Little Idiot » Sep 25, 2016 3:45 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:

Stop this nonsense!

Nobody is agreeing about a meaningless concept. You may think it is meaningless, but that does not mean it is a meaningless concept.

What we are agreeing about is does it or does it not contradict any known facts.
If you want to say 'no and it doesn't matter because it is meaningless', then I will accept the no and endeavor to establish a meaning for the term.
If you say it does contradict known facts I ask which ones and why?
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#971  Postby Little Idiot » Sep 25, 2016 3:46 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:Well it is all the way back here at post 380 (almost 600 posts back - keeping track of the meta FTW) where you asked these two questions and this line of exchange started.

380 isn't even your post!

err, that is why SOS asked the two questions (in his post) one of which I am answering ...
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#972  Postby GrahamH » Sep 25, 2016 3:50 pm

Little Idiot wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Stop this nonsense!

Nobody is agreeing about a meaningless concept. You may think it is meaningless, but that does not mean it is a meaningless concept.

What we are agreeing about is does it or does it not contradict any known facts.
If you want to say 'no and it doesn't matter because it is meaningless', then I will accept the no and endeavor to establish a meaning for the term.

In your own words: "The first step, even if shown would not show the concept 'undivided awareness' represents anything".

You have not shown that "undivided awareness" represents anything.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#973  Postby GrahamH » Sep 25, 2016 3:54 pm

Little Idiot wrote:What we are agreeing about is does it or does it not contradict any known facts.

Go on then. establish the meaning then ask about contradictions.

In the meantime can you tell me if furiously sleeping Colorless green ideas contradict any known facts?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#974  Postby Arnold Layne » Sep 25, 2016 3:57 pm

Little Idiot wrote:
Arnold Layne wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

say what it is?

Nope, just shit.

Regarding your, does the concept of "undivided awareness contradict anything," I'd say, no, it doesn't. You've defined it so it doesn't, so no surprise there. Mind you, my earlier definition regarding the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't contradict anything either. :smoke:
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#975  Postby BWE » Sep 25, 2016 3:59 pm

Little Idiot wrote:

I am willing to try.
If you can give me a guide what you want me to attempt to offer, you'll be more likely to get it.
What exactly would you like me to spout about preview? Undivided awareness or the whole show?

Either is fine but I'd like the whole show.
BWE

Print view this post

#976  Postby Little Idiot » Sep 25, 2016 4:03 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:What we are agreeing about is does it or does it not contradict any known facts.

In the meantime can you tell me if furiously sleeping Colorless green ideas contradict any known facts?

Yes, obviously it does, it self-contradicts. For a start green cant be colourless, nor can a colour sleep, nor can any sleeping be furious (- that is 3 contradiction of known facts right there).

As I stated in my original post, in order for a metaphysical concept to be meaningful it should not contradict any known facts. Undivided awareness contradicts only the working assumption that awareness must be divided. It is not known.

Look, its as simple as this, let me try spell it out for you.
Do you know there are any other sentient human observers apart from yourself?
Honest answer has to be; no, not know with certainty. You only know contents of your own awareness with certainty, and others is no more than a very good working assumption.
Therefore, you do not know with certainty that awareness is divided even into different humans.
Last edited by Little Idiot on Sep 25, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#977  Postby Little Idiot » Sep 25, 2016 4:05 pm

BWE wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:

I am willing to try.

Either is fine but I'd like the whole show.

OK I will knock something together. Any guide for ideal word count, or you'll take what ever you get.

Here is a proposal, how about I expand the sections on my position from the overview I already did (originally in post 357) but without the forced notation?
Last edited by Little Idiot on Sep 25, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#978  Postby GrahamH » Sep 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Little Idiot wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Yes, obviously it does, it self-contradicts. For a start green cant be colourless, nor can a colour sleep, nor can any sleeping be furious (- that is 3 contradiction of known facts right there).

As I stated in my original post, in order for a metaphysical concept to be meaningful it should not contradict any known facts. Undivided awareness contradicts only the working assumption that awareness must be divided. It is not known.

Honest answer has to be; no, not know with certainty. You only know contents of your own awareness with certainty, and others is no more than a very good working assumption.
Therefore, you do not know with certainty that awareness is divided even into different humans.

You just don' get it. If you have a coloureless green experience your would know!

Colourless green is small potatoes compared to divided undivided awareness, experience without subject and others.

And now you are going for solipsism?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#979  Postby Little Idiot » Sep 25, 2016 4:15 pm

Arnold Layne wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:
Arnold Layne wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:

Nope, just shit.

Regarding your, does the concept of "undivided awareness contradict anything," I'd say, no, it doesn't. You've defined it so it doesn't, so no surprise there. Mind you, my earlier definition regarding the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't contradict anything either. :smoke:

And if you can go on to a reasonable model of the cosmos and the human situation from the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I'm all ears.
The more accurate models we have, the better off we are.

But I am glad you have the gumption to agree it doesn't contradict the known facts, the herd instinct being what it is hereabouts, ya know.
A good definition should avoid contradicting known facts, of course.
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#980  Postby Little Idiot » Sep 25, 2016 4:20 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

You just don' get it. If you have a coloureless green experience your would know!

Colourless green is small potatoes compared to divided undivided awareness, experience without subject and others.

And now you are going for solipsism?

No, I am not going for solipsism. Although arguing with arguments from solipsism can sometimes be of use. Break the stubborn belief here and there...

Colourless green is trivially a self contradiction, unlike undivided awareness.
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy