truth and ethics

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

truth and ethics

#1  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Hypothesis #1: The only thing that has ever actually mattered is the way humans behave towards each other and towards other living things.

Hypothesis #2: Truth matters as an end in itself.

I'm inclined to believe both of these hypotheses but I also suspect they conflict. "Truth" is tricky to define, but here it can mean pretty much anything but a pragmatist conception of truth. The pragmatists basically claim that "true" means "whatever it is best for us to believe", which is consistent with H1. The problem is that only philosophical pragmatists accept this definition of truth. Everybody else, from young earth creationist to Marxist revolutionary to Dawkinsian fundamentalist, either has a stronger conception of truth or tries to avoiding talking about it at all.

Are H1 and H2 incompatible, and if so which should be rejected?
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: truth and ethics

#2  Postby Steve » Jun 13, 2010 9:39 pm

In what way should humans behave toward each other? Perhaps the should behave in consistency with #2. That seems reasonable to me... Can you give an example of a conflict?
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Yes. Let's say conclusive scientific evidence turns up which indicates that some groups of people of sub-saharan african descent are genetically predisposed to be less intelligent than people of other races. Even if this was true, it would not be grounds to discriminate against black people, but if it became public knowledge then it would be seized upon by persons with a racist political agenda and used to justify discrimination. If you are a geneticist who passionately believes in H1, are you going to spend time arguing with human rights activists who think you are a racist?
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Comte de St.-Germain » Jun 13, 2010 10:42 pm

Hypothesis 1 is bollocks to me in every conceivable way.

There is one way in which I find Hypothesis 2 interesting, but only as it pertains to the question of love. I would call it a 'tragic tradeoff' the question what is more important, being truthful (in less problematic terms, being factual) or acting out of love. Telling the person you love something that would harm them, but that is true..

My answer to this is vague; everything done out of love is beyond good and evil, but I love truth.
Quod tanto impendio absconditur etiam solummodo demonstrare destruere est
Comte de St.-Germain

Name: Franciscus I
Male

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Jun 13, 2010 10:58 pm

I would agree to the second hypothesis as long as you never claim to actually posses the truth.

I don't get the first one.Since when has how humans behaved towards one another ever mattered to most people?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Teuton » Jun 13, 2010 11:16 pm

UndercoverElephant wrote:The pragmatists basically claim that "true" means "whatever it is best for us to believe", which is consistent with H1.

Pragmatist theories of truth:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pragmatism/#PraTheTru

Peirce on truth:
http://www.helsinki.fi/science/commens/terms/truth.html
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Steve » Jun 14, 2010 12:54 am

UndercoverElephant wrote:Yes. Let's say conclusive scientific evidence turns up which indicates that some groups of people of sub-saharan african descent are genetically predisposed to be less intelligent than people of other races. Even if this was true, it would not be grounds to discriminate against black people, but if it became public knowledge then it would be seized upon by persons with a racist political agenda and used to justify discrimination. If you are a geneticist who passionately believes in H1, are you going to spend time arguing with human rights activists who think you are a racist?

I fail to see a conflict as I think it would be discriminatory not to acknowledge inferior intelligence. The individuals should be free to apply themselves wherever, but when allocating services they should be tailored to the group. Same as handicapped people.

Try again?

As I say - I am puzzled by how you think people should behave towards each other. H1 seems superfluous.
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Tero » Jun 14, 2010 1:11 am

Human behavior is not predictable. The same individual will behave differently based on very small changes.
How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#9  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 14, 2010 8:11 am

Animavore wrote:I would agree to the second hypothesis as long as you never claim to actually posses the truth.

I don't get the first one.Since when has how humans behaved towards one another ever mattered to most people?

I am not talking about what matters to most people. Perhaps I should have said "should matter."
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby UndercoverElephant » Jun 14, 2010 8:14 am

Steve wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:Yes. Let's say conclusive scientific evidence turns up which indicates that some groups of people of sub-saharan african descent are genetically predisposed to be less intelligent than people of other races. Even if this was true, it would not be grounds to discriminate against black people, but if it became public knowledge then it would be seized upon by persons with a racist political agenda and used to justify discrimination. If you are a geneticist who passionately believes in H1, are you going to spend time arguing with human rights activists who think you are a racist?

I fail to see a conflict as I think it would be discriminatory not to acknowledge inferior intelligence. The individuals should be free to apply themselves wherever, but when allocating services they should be tailored to the group. Same as handicapped people.

Try again?

I don't think I have to. In the real world, information of this sort would be (ab)used by people and everybody knows what sort of people I mean and how they would be likely to abuse it.

As I say - I am puzzled by how you think people should behave towards each other. H1 seems superfluous.

I am not making any specific claims about ethics here. I am making a general point that human rights and ecology matter a lot. You don't think the way humans treat other humans and other living things matters? If this doesn't matter then what does?
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Steve » Jun 14, 2010 2:11 pm

UndercoverElephant wrote:In the real world, information of this sort would be (ab)used by people and everybody knows what sort of people I mean and how they would be likely to abuse it.

I would question your assumptions. The world is not perfect, yet in a sense it is. The pain and suffering is there to point the way. Which is perfect. That is the ecology of the spiritual perspective called karma. It is constantly correcting itself.
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Return to Philosophy