help me out?

Astronomy, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Mathematics & Physics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

help me out?

#1  Postby BWE » Nov 13, 2018 5:20 pm

I haven't done this in forever and I forgot how. My old textbook is gone and mathworld seems like no help. I want to set up the probabilities for a double slit experiment.

lets call the waveform of a group of particles
|w>=c1|1>+c2|2>

how do I figure out the amplitudes |w(x)|2 at x for slits 1 and 2? (forgive my latin letters, if you recognize the setup, you should be able to figure out what they mean)

I kind of want to be able to do the whole process of probablities say of a particle at each slit, etc but I straight up can't remember the process at all and I need to figure out where to start
BWE

Print view this post

Re: help me out?

#2  Postby newolder » Nov 13, 2018 5:27 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeYXM-XBTyk

Links to "Double slit with Dirac notation (PHAS3226 Video 5)". Should be useful...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby BWE » Nov 13, 2018 5:28 pm

thanks.
BWE

Print view this post

#4  Postby BWE » Nov 13, 2018 6:16 pm

ok. that was perfect. what would I look up to see the same notation for entangled particles?
BWE

Print view this post

#5  Postby newolder » Nov 13, 2018 6:51 pm

The physics stack exchange is usually a resource worthwhile of a visit:
https://physics.stackexchange.com/quest ... t-notation
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby BWE » Nov 13, 2018 7:06 pm

Damn. Thanks. I am going to use this in a presentation and thought I would just grab a textbook but I apparently loaned it out. It's not important that I get into any detail but it is important that I set it up correctly.
BWE

Print view this post

Return to Physical Sciences & Mathematics