5 Fun Physics Phenomena

Can you explain them?

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 5 Fun Physics Phenomena

#81  Postby twistor59 » Aug 14, 2014 5:45 pm

campermon wrote::rofl:

Yes, working in a school, there's no way that you'd ever have heard that one before :lol:
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#82  Postby campermon » Aug 14, 2014 5:50 pm

twistor59 wrote:
campermon wrote::rofl:

Yes, working in a school, there's no way that you'd ever have heard that one before :lol:

Tit ration is new to me!!

I'll be sure to use it on my apparatus requisition sheet!

:mrgreen:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#83  Postby twistor59 » Aug 14, 2014 6:18 pm

But seriously, I'm keen on the distilled water/salty water test that Ev and you have talked about.
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#84  Postby campermon » Aug 14, 2014 6:23 pm

twistor59 wrote:But seriously, I'm keen on the distilled water/salty water test that Ev and you have talked about.

Yes...perhaps if the stream from the burette was intercepted by a thin copper wire connected to earth - this would simulate what might be happen to water flow in a regular tap?

I'm still intrigued to see if a static drop of water on a surface can be made to move by a charges object.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#85  Postby twistor59 » Aug 14, 2014 6:27 pm

Hmm, just googling around - might need to be careful:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=559505

First of all - distilled water won't be enough, as if it is in contact with air it becomes saturated with carbon dioxide and becomes acidic - which means it contains ions. What you will need is the ultra pure water (sometimes called 18MΩ water), and the experiment has to be done in the inert atmosphere. Working with ultra pure water is quite difficult, as it dissolves everything and becomes very easily contaminated; preparation and transport are an art it itself.

Read more: http://www.physicsforums.com

Some interesting looking refs in post# 8 there
Edit: sadly paywalled
Last edited by twistor59 on Aug 14, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#86  Postby scott1328 » Aug 14, 2014 6:32 pm

campermon wrote:
Pulsar wrote:I read a very different explanation: http://skullsinthestars.com/2011/05/27/water-has-properties-that-are-positively-electrifying/

The idea is that hydrogen bonds cause molecules to be grouped together. So groups of molecules would react to the electric field instead of individual molecules, and this would amplify the effect. :think:

Bugger!!

OK.

I'm back in school in a couple of weeks. I can try the experiment using titration burettes and trying regular tap water, salt solution and distilled water.

We'll get to the bottom of this!!

:thumbup:

when you get done with that, perhaps you could dunk a few ping-pong balls and steel balls?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#87  Postby campermon » Aug 14, 2014 6:32 pm

twistor59 wrote:Hmm, just googling around - might need to be careful:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=559505

First of all - distilled water won't be enough, as if it is in contact with air it becomes saturated with carbon dioxide and becomes acidic - which means it contains ions. What you will need is the ultra pure water (sometimes called 18MΩ water), and the experiment has to be done in the inert atmosphere. Working with ultra pure water is quite difficult, as it dissolves everything and becomes very easily contaminated; preparation and transport are an art it itself.

Read more: http://www.physicsforums.com

Some interesting looking refs in post# 8 there

It's a trickier problem than I originally thought!
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#88  Postby campermon » Aug 14, 2014 6:34 pm

scott1328 wrote:
campermon wrote:
Pulsar wrote:I read a very different explanation: http://skullsinthestars.com/2011/05/27/water-has-properties-that-are-positively-electrifying/

The idea is that hydrogen bonds cause molecules to be grouped together. So groups of molecules would react to the electric field instead of individual molecules, and this would amplify the effect. :think:

Bugger!!

OK.

I'm back in school in a couple of weeks. I can try the experiment using titration burettes and trying regular tap water, salt solution and distilled water.

We'll get to the bottom of this!!

when you get done with that, perhaps you could dunk a few ping-pong balls and steel balls?

Ha ha!! Yes! That would be a good class activity for GCSE/A level kids to solve i.e. make and justify a prediction and then do the experiment. It completely foxed me!

campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Physics