LUX results: Dark matter hunt nears final phase

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

LUX results: Dark matter hunt nears final phase

#1  Postby DougC » Oct 30, 2013 5:00 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24733131
B.B.C. Article
Scientists could be nearing the final phase of the search for dark matter: the enigmatic substance thought to make up a quarter of our Universe.
The first results from a particle detector called LUX show it is the most powerful experiment of its kind.
It did not detect any dark matter during its first run, but scientists say it is poised to probe deeper than ever before during its second in 2014.
It has also ruled out earlier hints of dark matter shown by other experiments.
Dr Chamkaur Ghag, a collaborator on the LUX experiment from University College London, said: "If the dark matter is out there and if it interacts the way we think it does we should really start seeing it now."
Not finding any direct evidence for dark matter particles would mean that physicists would have to "go back to the drawing board", he added.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: LUX results: Dark matter hunt nears final phase

#2  Postby twistor59 » Oct 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Interesting :thumbup:

(good job I'm not involved - I found my old physics practical lab book recently and looking at it, I could distinctly remember making up a lot of results in there)
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby newolder » Oct 30, 2013 5:41 pm

30 days worth of obs, so far, 300 continuous days next year, i read. No detectable signal above background (and it's a very low threshold), yet...
article: http://phys.org/news/2013-10-results-lu ... ector.html
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Huge Dark Matter Experiment Finds Nothing but More Mysteries

#4  Postby kennyc » Oct 30, 2013 9:30 pm

Huge Dark Matter Experiment Finds Nothing but More Mysteries
BY ADAM MANN10.30.1312:18 PM

The hunt for dark matter just keeps getting more confusing. Today scientists released findings from the first three months of the Large Underground Xenon experiment, which looks directly for the invisible particles thought to make up dark matter.

Many physicists hoped that the highly anticipated results would clear up the situation surrounding dark matter experiments, which have so far led to contradictory conclusions about the nature of the mysterious substance. Some thought that LUX might show them which way to go, narrowing the types of particles they might pursue. Instead, the experiment turned up empty.

“Basically, we saw nothing. But we saw nothing better than anyone else so far,” said particle physicist Daniel McKinsey of Yale, a member of the LUX collaboration.

It might appear strange to the rest of us, but a null finding is actually encouraging for physicists, who will use the results to set stringent limits on what kind of dark matter they might expect to find in the future. It also seems to rule out the results of several previous experiments, which had seen hints of what might be dark matter.

“Something that they had thought was in play is being kicked off the field,” said physicist Richard Gaitskell of Brown University, who also works on LUX.

But other scientists are not convinced that LUX has excluded their findings, and it’s likely the debate will continue.
The major findings are more or less split into two camps: those who think the dark matter WIMP particles are relatively heavy and those who suspect they might be fairly light. Heavy in this case means a particle of around 100 gigaelectronvolts (GeV), or roughly 100 times the mass of a proton. Heavy WIMPs are predicted by a theory known as supersymmetry, which adds a host of new particles to the quarks, neutrinos, and electrons we already know about. If a detector found a 100 GeV WIMP particle, it would be momentous not only for being the first dark matter detection, but also as the first real evidence in favor of supersymmetry. Because supersymmetry is considered by many scientists to be the future of physics, a 100 GeV dark matter particle has a lot of support in the field.
But scientists have no idea what dark matter is nor what possible exotic properties it might have. It could simply be that assumption is wrong and nature is more complex than the simplest models would suggest. Still, Feng acknowledges that the LUX results are starting to eat away at the predictions of some theories.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/ ... rk-matter/
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Huge Dark Matter Experiment Finds Nothing but More Mysteries

#5  Postby kennyc » Oct 30, 2013 9:39 pm

...oops didn't mean to quote my own post...and didn't see the previous thread.... :oops:

CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/30/opinion/urry-dark-matter/
BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24733131
Last edited by kennyc on Oct 30, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby campermon » Oct 30, 2013 9:41 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Stand by for jump to hyperspace...

Topics merged.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby kennyc » Oct 30, 2013 9:44 pm

[quote="campermon";p="1841770"][/quote]

Thanks!
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby campermon » Oct 30, 2013 9:46 pm

:thumbup:

I think I've found some of that dark matter lurking behind my cooker! :yuk:

:grin:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Onyx8 » Oct 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Is that a euphemism?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby newolder » Oct 31, 2013 10:16 am

Guest (Adam Falkowski) blog-post @ The Reference Frame: http://motls.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/fiat-lux.html

(If campers' cooker-bound DM is particulate, would that be discovery of a "euphemismon"?)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby campermon » Oct 31, 2013 10:37 am

:rofl:

I think I've discovered 'anti dark matter' too.

I observed that the dark matter was annihilated when subjected to the bombardment of sodium hypochlorite particles.

The rate of annihilation was observed to be a maximum when the particles were accelerated to optimum velocity through a pressure gradient device:

It was noted that full annihilation was achieved when a flexible planar surface (composed of intertwined micro-filaments to maximize surface area) was placed in contact with the remaining dark matter and a rotational motion imposed. It was observed that high values of ω led to an increased efficiency in particle annihilation. In this experiment we used:

campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby kennyc » Oct 31, 2013 10:54 am

campermon wrote::rofl:

I think I've discovered 'anti dark matter' too.

I observed that the dark matter was annihilated when subjected to the bombardment of sodium hypochlorite particles.

The rate of annihilation was observed to be a maximum when the particles were accelerated to optimum velocity through a pressure gradient device:

It was noted that full annihilation was achieved when a flexible planar surface (composed of intertwined micro-filaments to maximize surface area) was placed in contact with the remaining dark matter and a rotational motion imposed. It was observed that high values of ω led to an increased efficiency in particle annihilation. In this experiment we used:

Publish Man! Publish!! The Journal of Cosmology awaits!
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby campermon » Oct 31, 2013 11:08 am

:rofl:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby campermon » Oct 31, 2013 11:27 am

kennyc wrote:

Publish Man! Publish!! The Journal of Cosmology awaits!

I think they may have beat me to it.

I note that the name of their apparatus is 'LUX'.

Is it a coincidence that 'Lux' is a well known laundry detergent? Maybe not.

A careful analysis of the scientific literature of laundry detergents leads me here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laundry_soap

And from said citation (my bolding):

"Bleach[edit]
Main article: Bleach
The main targets of bleaches are of vegetable origin and include chlorophyll, anthocyanin dyes, tannins, humic acids, and carotenoid pigments. Most bleaches in laundry detergents are oxidizers, e.g., sodium perborate or sodium hypochlorite. In addition, other agents are added as "bleach activators", to enhance the effectiveness of the bleaching agent; a popular one is tetraacetylethylenediamine."

Looks like they found anti-dark matter before me.

My dreams of the Nobel have been scuppered again!
:whine:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby DougC » Apr 08, 2014 10:04 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26819792
B.B.C. Article
Dark matter hunt: LUX experiment reaches critical phase
The quest to find the most mysterious particles in the Universe is entering a critical phase, scientists say.
An experiment located in the bottom of a gold mine in South Dakota, US, could offer the best chance yet of detecting dark matter.
Scientists believe this substance makes up more than a quarter of the cosmos, yet no-one has ever seen it directly.
Early results from this detector, which is called LUX, confirmed it was the most powerful experiment of its kind.
In the coming weeks, it will begin a 300-day-long run that could provide the first direct evidence of these enigmatic particles.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Physics