'Quantum Cheshire Cat' becomes reality

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 'Quantum Cheshire Cat' becomes reality

#101  Postby Evolving » Jan 04, 2015 3:25 pm

I’d encourage you to look at equation 2 in the paper; Cali linked to it here:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/physi ... l#p2053443

The equation shows the wave function after the particle has entered the beam splitter. I don’t know how to make it clearer that the information on location and on spin is present along both paths.

Evolving wrote:
“The system behaves as if…”; “the neutrons behave as if…”. The whole particle passes, as ever, through the apparatus, in its indeterminate state, with all the information that its wave function contains. When the weak measurement is performed on the post-selected neutrons at the other end of the apparatus, it is “as if” the information regarding the neutron’s spin were spatially separated from the information regarding its location; but that is a quirk of the method of measurement. It is interesting, and potentially useful, as the paper says, because it allows the possibility of observing the particle without the distraction of its magnetic moment, which for the purpose of the measurement has temporarily been parked elsewhere.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#102  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 04, 2015 3:29 pm

Evolving wrote:I’d encourage you to look at equation 2 in the paper; Cali linked to it here:

The equation shows the wave function after the particle has entered the beam splitter. I don’t know how to make it clearer that the information on location and on spin is present along both paths.

Evolving wrote:
“The system behaves as if…”; “the neutrons behave as if…”. The whole particle passes, as ever, through the apparatus, in its indeterminate state, with all the information that its wave function contains. When the weak measurement is performed on the post-selected neutrons at the other end of the apparatus, it is “as if” the information regarding the neutron’s spin were spatially separated from the information regarding its location; but that is a quirk of the method of measurement. It is interesting,and potentially useful, as the paper says, because it allows the possibility of observing the particle without the distraction of its magnetic moment, which for the purpose of the measurement has temporarily been parked elsewhere.

The bit I've bolded is where I think they are kidding themselves. It is probably a coincidence error that they do not appear top take into account.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Evolving » Jan 04, 2015 3:30 pm

I’d encourage you to look at equation 2 in the paper; Cali linked to it here:

Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#104  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 04, 2015 3:42 pm

Evolving wrote:I’d encourage you to look at equation 2 in the paper; Cali linked to it here:

This post appears to be merely a repeat of your previous post, but with an added typo, making the link invalid! My reply to the original version stands.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Evolving » Jan 04, 2015 3:53 pm

I repeated it because I suspected you might have overlooked my invitation to consider equation 2, since you haven't said anything about it.

This is surprisingly hard work. If you have a good reason to suspect that the Vienna group blundered, then I'd really like to know what that reason is.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#106  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 04, 2015 4:21 pm

Evolving wrote:I repeated it because I suspected you might have overlooked my invitation to consider equation 2, since you haven't said anything about it.

This is surprisingly hard work. If you have a good reason to suspect that the Vienna group blundered, then I'd really like to know what that reason is.

A. I have looked at equation 2, and it does not change my conclusion, mentioned twice now, that they blundered in exactly the way I described above- namely that there would sometimesm by random chance, have been two neutrons in the system at once, and with the two on different paths. Without a coincidence detector, theyb woukld have no way of realising that a coincidence had occurred. Therefore, what puzzles me is why you think I haven't told you the reason.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#107  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 04, 2015 4:30 pm

BTW, Perhaps they should be told that they might have made a blunder with the apparatus design, but I'm not paid to be their nanny, you know. I's not my problem if they want to publish without due care and attention.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#108  Postby Evolving » Jan 04, 2015 4:36 pm

I understand that you think this may have gone wrong with the experiment. As a matter of theory, however, do you agree that equation 2 indicates that, in the view of the experimenters, the whole wave function, location and spin, passes along both paths?
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#109  Postby kennyc » Jan 04, 2015 4:39 pm

Evolving wrote:I repeated it because I suspected you might have overlooked my invitation to consider equation 2, since you haven't said anything about it.

You know David has a mind the size of a planet and is light years beyond any known physicist. Why would anyone argue with him?
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#110  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 04, 2015 4:43 pm

Evolving wrote:I understand that you think this may have gone wrong with the experiment. As a matter of theory, however, do you agree that equation 2 indicates that, in the view of the experimenters, the whole wave function, location and spin, passes along both paths?

I agree that there does not seem to be anything wrong with their eaquation 2. However, this does not sem to have deterred them from their absurd conclusion:
A surprising effect originating from pre- and postselection of a system is the ability to ‘separate’ the location of a system from one of its properties23, 24, 25, 26 as suggested by the Cheshire Cat story in Alice in Wonderland:

This is from the orignal paper, not a reporter's version of it.

BTW, if they were correct, what is to stop, say, a photon being separated from its wavelength? Where does it end?
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#111  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 04, 2015 4:46 pm

kennyc wrote:

You know David has a mind the size of a planet and is light years beyond any known physicist. Why would anyone argue with him?

I suppose you think that anything some researchers publish must be just fine and dandy, right?
I am not claiming toi have a brain the size of a planet, but I do have some professional experience of experiments that need coincidence detection, so I know what am talking about, unlike you, it seems.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#112  Postby Evolving » Jan 04, 2015 4:53 pm

In the language that you quote, they put the word "separate" into inverted commas, and take pains to say things like

The neutrons behave as if particle and magnetic property are spatially separated while travelling through the interferometer

In other words they are not claiming that the property has really been separated from the particle: it merely appears to have been, and is an interesting effect of the method of measurement.

One has to read carefully, because they are not always equally careful; at one point they say, for instance:

The measurements suggest that for the successfully postselected ensemble (only the O-detector) the neutrons’ spin travels along path I.

I take it that we have to interpret the word "suggest" as the equivalent of "behave as if" - because if they meant here that the spin actually does travel along path I, they would be contradicting what they say in the remainder of the paper.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Evolving » Jan 04, 2015 4:55 pm

I do have a brain the size of a planet and I am feeling very depressed. :smile:
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#114  Postby twistor59 » Jan 04, 2015 5:34 pm

Here's a "simpler" example:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1202.0631

If they'd ended the paper here (sorry the symbols didn't copy properly but you can read the paper):
Suppose that we simultaneously insert detectors for ΠR , ΠL and σz . (Since ΠR and σz commute, their ordering in the
(R)
right arm does not matter.) What we see now is that whenever σz indicates net angular momentum, ΠR yields the value 1,
(R)
indicating that the photon in fact went through the right arm; whenever σz does not indicate angular momentum, ΠR yields
the value 0, indicating that the photon went through the left arm. The paradox thus evaporates. This is the standard resolution of
such counterfactual paradoxes in quantum mechanics: measurements disturb each other 1 therefore the conclusions drawn from
separate measurements do not hold when measurements are performed simultaneously. Hence one is tempted to conclude that
the paradox is nothing other than an optical illusion.

and not continued with:

In the next section, however, we will show that there really is a Cheshire"
Cat and it is not an optical illusion. But doing so requires a subtler method.
III.
WEAK MEASUREMENTS

I might have been happy. Whenever someone brings up weak values, I hear a sound in my head like the beginning of "Time" on Dark Side of the Moon. These wonderful weak values are like expectation values, only different:

I have a pdf with the title "The sense in which a "weak measurement" of a spin 1/2 particle's component yields a value of 100".

They can also give you complex values.

So, although the experiment is undoubtebly ingenious, I don't think it brings anything new to the foundations of quantum mechanics.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#115  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 04, 2015 5:45 pm

Evolving wrote:In the language that you quote, they put the word "separate" into inverted commas, and take pains to say things like

The neutrons behave as if particle and magnetic property are spatially separated while travelling through the interferometer

In other words they are not claiming that the property has really been separated from the particle: it merely appears to have been, and is an interesting effect of the method of measurement.

One has to read carefully, because they are not always equally careful; at one point they say, for instance:

The measurements suggest that for the successfully postselected ensemble (only the O-detector) the neutrons’ spin travels along path I.

I take it that we have to interpret the word "suggest" as the equivalent of "behave as if" - because if they meant here that the spin actually does travel along path I, they would be contradicting what they say in the remainder of the paper.

The problem I have with the claim that it appears as if... is that I don't see how it would even appear to separate without the kind of experimental oversight I mentioned above. This is important, because they claim to have discovered a new method of some value, but I think it is just a new mistake.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#116  Postby kennyc » Jan 04, 2015 5:55 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
kennyc wrote:

I suppose you think that anything some researchers publish must be just fine and dandy, right?
I am not claiming toi have a brain the size of a planet, but I do have some professional experience of experiments that need coincidence detection, so I know what am talking about, unlike you, it seems.

Publish man! PUBLISH!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#117  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 04, 2015 5:57 pm

Evolving wrote:I do have a brain the size of a planet and I am feeling very depressed. :smile:

Cheer up! I'm sure the swelling will go down soon!
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Physics