Right-Hand Rule for Force

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Right-Hand Rule for Force

#21  Postby twistor59 » May 09, 2010 8:05 pm

mark1961 wrote:
My own field of what I need to know about Physics from people like these is also plagued with instantly forgettable surnames. Heat, pressure, gases, liquids and how they mix is essential stuff for learning to Scuba Dive. I have a practical knowledge of such but can I remember which guy in a wig discovered what can I hellers like :roll:

Classical electrodynamics - as developed by Bruce Forsyth (UK-readers-only joke !)
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Aurlito » May 09, 2010 8:40 pm

The_Metatron wrote:I always thought current flowed from negative to positive. A negative charge being an excess of electrons, a positive charge being a shortage of electrons. Unless you are in the US Navy. They teach hole flow, which goes from positive to negative. At least they used to.

Actually, current flows from negative to positive, but back then they didn't know it. so they asserted that it flows from positive to negative, and that's what today's circuital calculations are based on.
If your thoughts are the same as they were yesterday, your retired.
Aurlito
Banned Troll

Male

Print view this post

#23  Postby shh » May 09, 2010 10:33 pm

Animavore wrote::whine: What are youse talking about?

Lol "youse" Are you a jackeen?
wiki wrote: despite the fact that chocolate is not a fruit[citation needed]
shh

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24  Postby mark1961 » May 10, 2010 4:13 am

Aurlito wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:I always thought current flowed from negative to positive. A negative charge being an excess of electrons, a positive charge being a shortage of electrons. Unless you are in the US Navy. They teach hole flow, which goes from positive to negative. At least they used to.

Actually, current flows from negative to positive, but back then they didn't know it. so they asserted that it flows from positive to negative, and that's what today's circuital calculations are based on.

Fonzi's explanation. Now I'll definitely remember that one. Or else. "Ayy!" :smoke:
mark1961

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Brasky » May 10, 2010 4:25 am

mark1961 wrote:
Animavore wrote::whine: What are youse talking about?

Something that was forceably tattooed on my brain but it faded.

Likewise, to obtain my degree, I had to complete two physics courses. I actually really enjoyed the section dealing with magnetic fields and the like. But now, sadly, it is all gone.
Brasky

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Physics