Skeptical of Special Relativity

No logical reason to accept the SR hypothesis

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Skeptical of Special Relativity

#21  Postby Zorg » Dec 02, 2023 7:48 pm

THWOTH wrote:
Zorg wrote:...
And I'm still waiting for Thwoth to provide a list of all the logical fallacies in my 50 word paragraph. We ought to wait for that reply before continuing.

To say that we can only continue (that you will only continue) if I reply presents a false dilemma, it is also erecting a spurious condition on the discussion which shifts the burden. There's three more!

A good faith discussion is more than simply proceeding on the presumption that the parties will be honest and fair in their dealings, it also requires that parties do not misrepresent each other, and in the context of exploring objective claims is ultimately an endeavour in which parties seeks to arrive at the truth in collaboration. In that sense a good faith discussion is not an exercise in persuasion, or of converting one party to the position of another. In that spirit...

Zorg wrote:
THWOTH wrote:
Zorg wrote:So I see several replies. Which one actually shows where I am wrong? Do you all do science by applying irrationality? I did not see in Einstein's 1905 or 1907 Papers on SR, any mention of GPS Satellites in his Hypothesis, did I miss that?

The number of logical fallacies you've managed to cram into 50 words or less there is quite admirable in a way.

OK, Please list all the logical fallacies in the 50 words above.

I must admit, I didn't actually tot them up, but I make the word count 45.

"So I see several replies. Which one actually shows where I am wrong?"
The argument/s of one party do not stand until another party demonstrates that they fail, and to suggest otherwise is to shift the burden(1). Shifting the burden presumes that a propositional statement is true because it has not yet been proven false, and is thus a common feature of the argument from ignorance(2). Furthermore, the implication that it is impossible for a propositional statement to be untrue and that there is no situation that has caused the statement to be false falls foul of logical modality(3) and of the weighted premise referred to as feathering the nest(4). A further presumption is implied: that the party forwarding an argument is the only proper party to adjudicate the validity of counter arguments, which is to assert that the party forwarding the propositional is a neutral arbiter(5), to erect spurious conditions upon the discussion(6) by which only the forwarding party can authenticate or declare counters conclusive, as well as to argue from a position of presumed authority(7).

"Do you all do science by applying irrationality?"
This rhetorical question implies that "You all do science b apply irrationality", which not only is an attack on the personal characteristics, qualities or capacities of those offering counters to the forwarder's propositional(8), but also falls foul of nest feathering(9), erecting conditions(10), false arbitration(11), and arguing from authority(12), in the presumption that the fowarder's argument is necessarily rational(13) and that they are the only proper party to adjudicate the scope of rationality, such that their interlocutors have failed that test.

"I did not see in Einstein's 1905 or 1907 Papers on SR, any mention of GPS Satellites in his Hypothesis, did I miss that?"
This is perhaps more egregious than fallacious, because it is undoubtedly true that Einstein's papers did not mention GPS. However, it as much as it denies a conclusion (that Einstein's propositions re relativity are demonstrably correct with regard to GPS) because he did not mention GPS in his papers makes the compositional error of presuming that what happened later did not follow from what happened before, or of putting the cart before the horse(15). In this regard it is also a form of the fallacy of implication(16) in which the conclusion is denied (A: Einstein correct) because the spurious condition(17) was not met (B: mentioning GPS) - the implication being because not-B then not-A. Again, this position can only be maintained by the forwarder relying on false arbitration(18) and by arguing from a position of presumed authority(19). The statement "I did not see in Einstein's 1905 or 1907 Papers on SR, any mention of GPS Satellites in his Hypothesis" is egregious in as much as it is a bad faith misrepresentation of T_M's proposition that the function of GPS demonstrably relies on accounting and compensating for the relativistic effects proposed by Einstein in his papers.

Primarily though, this can all be encapsulated by the forwarder presuming their conclusion(20), and when their argument necessarily relies on so many formal and informal logical failures we can can characterise their argument as relying on the fallacy of fallacies(21).

Fallacies = 21 (at least).

Basically the post contained a fallacy for every 2.14 words which, as I said, is quite an achievement in its own way.

Nice try, but to get to these claimed fallacies you have misrepresented and taken my words out of context.
First, "that you will only continue) if I reply presents a false dilemma" This is a false statement, as I never said that I WILL NOT continue, UNLESS you reply, I said that we should give you the chance to reply, because that is the right way to proceed, in good faith, as you say.

Now the other claimed false logic example are similar.

I made a statement, and asked where I was wrong. I get several replies, all ridiculing me. So I pointed out with my rhetorical question, "Which reply shows where I was wrong? Knowing full well that no one even attempted to explain where I was wrong.

The Question, "Do you all do science by applying irrationality?" Is again a rhetorical one, because I specifically stated that I wanted to so a critical review of Einstein's Paper, and examine the validity of it based on reason and logic. The arguments I got back were suggesting that 'We do science by experimental evidence, that is the final Arbiter" Which suggests that reason and logic are not required. If I say, "its not rational:, you counter, "but this experiment shows that its true". So then I had to reaffirm that experimental evidence is NOT above Reason and Logic. That is the meaning of my rhetorical question, not what you try to make it.
I assumed that you would be able to follow my reasoning here, but maybe I was assuming too much of you.

The same applies with the third question, "I did not see in Einstein's 1905 or 1907 Papers on SR, any mention of GPS Satellites in his Hypothesis, did I miss that?" Again, with that rhetorical question, I'm reminding you that I specifically wanted to restrict all discussion to an examination of Einstein's own Paper, so jumping off to other subjects not in the Paper is just wasting time. If its not in the Paper, then it not part of what I'm discussing, the analysis of Einstein's Paper. So all those imaginative logical fallacies you came up with are simply not valid. What interpretations of various experiments you want to make are outside the scope of the critical review of Einstein's Paper.
So all these claimed logical errors are on fact just demonstrations that you never understood what was the nature of the subject I raised.
Einstein: it only fails when you think critically about it.-Zorg.
Zorg

Name: Mark Ross

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Zorg » Dec 02, 2023 7:59 pm

The_Metatron wrote:All he need do is show how he arrives at the 0.00045674 Hz offset to the clocks on the satellites required to make GPS work. That exact amount of offset, Zorg. You’re going to have to show your work. This problem is already solved, using Einstein’s (and those after him) ideas.

Good luck, Zorg. Get this one right, and the Nobel people would probably take note.

Show us your blinding knowledge of relativity. In other words, put up or shut up. You’re the one making the claim. Prove it.

Why are you STILL going on about GPS? I'm not interested in GPS. The Topic here is a critical review of Einstein's Paper. Not a review of various experiments.

Please start another Topic about supporting evidence for SR, because in this Topic, I'm trying to examine Einstein's logical thought path from his assumptions through to his conclusions. That's it.
Zorg

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Zorg » Dec 02, 2023 8:05 pm

Not sure why one of my replies shows up twice, the page froze and I had to restart the browser.
Zorg

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Zorg » Dec 02, 2023 8:34 pm

One of my posts repeats for some weird reason. The page froze on my computer, and the website also froze, i had to restart my browser, then it would not load the website again for 10 minutes.
Zorg

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Zorg » Dec 02, 2023 10:56 pm

So hopefully we can get down to the actual topic now? Which is: "Anyone able to show me why Einstein's 1905 Paper on SR, is rationally and logically coherent?" Because I can show why I believe its not.

To do that, we have to examine what the Paper is saying. Is the thought process of Einstein logical and rational? Are his conclusions rational and Logical?

Anyone want to discuss this? (you can discuss GPS etc elsewhere)
Zorg

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#26  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 03, 2023 2:20 am

Poor Zorg, you’re thinking it’s up to you how we discuss your topic.

It’s a simple enough task for someone able to spar with Einstein’s ideas, I’d think. Apply your replacement for special relativity and come up with the same clock correction factor. Cat got your tongue? Show us the math, and you have our attention.

But, we all know you won’t, will you? The only real curiosity is why you showed up to pick a mathematical fight but refuse to back up your claims.

Maybe we ask too much. Perhaps you can simply point us to some of your other published mathematics papers. It’s be great to see what you’ve contributed to the body of knowledge.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby romansh » Dec 03, 2023 2:58 am

Zorg wrote: Which is: "Anyone able to show me why Einstein's 1905 Paper on SR, is rationally and logically coherent?"

"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#28  Postby Zorg » Dec 03, 2023 5:10 am

The_Metatron wrote:Poor Zorg, you’re thinking it’s up to you how we discuss your topic.

It’s a simple enough task for someone able to spar with Einstein’s ideas, I’d think. Apply your replacement for special relativity and come up with the same clock correction factor. Cat got your tongue? Show us the math, and you have our attention.

But, we all know you won’t, will you? The only real curiosity is why you showed up to pick a mathematical fight but refuse to back up your claims.

Maybe we ask too much. Perhaps you can simply point us to some of your other published mathematics papers. It’s be great to see what you’ve contributed to the body of knowledge.

Thanks for replying, but as I am offended by your obnoxious attitude and refusal to discuss this matter, (which was to review Einstein's thought process when he wrote his paper, using rational analysis and logic) there is no point in engaging with you, is there? I will wait till someone is interested in rational and logical approaches to the analysis of the Paper, thanks all the same. You seem very angry, and seem to be an altogether a rather unpleasant man. I could be wrong, but that's just how you come across, especially with your constant insinuations that I'm not worthy or intellectually capable.

I never said I had any replacement for SR, that is your idea not mine.
I never mentioned that I had a math equation that can calculate any apparent time dilation, that is also your idea, not mine.
I never said I was interested in discussing Maths. That was your idea.

I never "picked a mathematical fight" that is totally your idea.

I never made any claims about Math, that is your idea.

Your statement, "Maybe we ask too much" insinuates that I not as intelligent as you, and as such, is an ad hominem attack.
And who is the "we"? Do you speak on behalf of a committee with authority to make such decisions? Is the committee also ok with ad hominem attacks"

Then you continue with the personal slights and innuendo with this statement, "Perhaps you can simply point us to some of your other published mathematics papers. It’s be great to see what you’ve contributed to the body of knowledge".

As if this can make the slightest difference or had any bearing to the subject matter that I was attempting to discuss.

Therefore I can't be bothered to discuss anything with you.
Zorg

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Zorg » Dec 03, 2023 5:13 am

romansh wrote:
Zorg wrote: Which is: "Anyone able to show me why Einstein's 1905 Paper on SR, is rationally and logically coherent?"

Nice picture, but what has that to do with anything in this topic as outlined in the introduction? Can you speak English? Maybe try adding some words?
Zorg

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#30  Postby SkyMutt » Dec 03, 2023 6:47 am

A legitimate contender for an A. Elk [Miss] Award. Well done. Keep it going for another page or two, should be a shoo-in. :thumbup:
Serious, but not entirely serious.
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

#31  Postby Zorg » Dec 03, 2023 7:18 am

SkyMutt wrote:A legitimate contender for an A. Elk [Miss] Award. Well done. Keep it going for another page or two, should be a shoo-in. :thumbup:

So why bother to post a nonsense reply? I can only guess that you have no knowledge of Einstein's work at all?
Because if you did, you could discuss the subject.
Zorg

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Zorg » Dec 03, 2023 7:23 am

I thought this forum was going to be something like its name, but I see no hint of rationality or any scepticism. You may as well have called it "the faith based Einstein fan boys club".
Zorg

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Adco » Dec 03, 2023 8:12 am

Zorg wrote:For the same reason I reject claims made for gods existence, I also can't accept Einstein's hypothesis of SR. It lacks a rationality and is illogical. This is based on his 1905 Paper, and his later writings of the same subject. The same errors from the 1905 Paper are present in his other writings. Anyone care to discuss this?

I would really like to see what these "errors" are. Could you give a link or reference. I don't know enough about the subject to be able to comment further but I am interested to discover is illogical about Einstein's hypothesis.

I'm not taking the piss, I really want to know.
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Zorg » Dec 03, 2023 9:06 am

Well, I was hoping for an expert in Special Relativity to respond, so that we could have a fair discussion, each present his argument. But I don't think there are any here. Just overly defensive people who react to any perceived threat to their faith.
As the ideas are mine, there is no link to some paper. I have written up my review of SR paper, but it needs some tidying up. Its only an informal document, not something to present to a publisher.
I can easily explain why Einstein's logic is flawed, and thus so are his conclusions.
The most glaring problem is Einstein's 2nd Postulate. Its undeniably irrational. His first postulate is just a reiteration of classical Physics principals. (Newtonian Physics) But the 2nd postulate is just plain irrational. Immediately after telling us in the first postulate that Newtons Laws of Physics are just fine, and work in all inertial frames, he then state the 2nd postulate, which he admits is "apparently irreconcilable" with Newtons perfectly fine Laws. Now "Irreconcilable" means that two statement can not be equated by reason or logic. Hence the 2nd postulate is "apparently" irrational. You need to read the 1905 Paper. At least the first few sections. Now here is the illogical part. after admitting that the 2nd postulate is "apparently" irrational, Einstein's makes no attempt to explain why the irrationality is only an apparent or false problem. So we have 2 Postulates, the first need not even be a Postulate, we already know this stuff from Newton. So nothing to accept without proof with the first postulate. So with the 2nd postulate, Einstein wants us to accept an apparent irrational claim, the truth of which must become clear as he unpacks his hypothesis. Usually Postulates are just unproven claims, but claims that are at least POSSIBLE. Einstein's 2nd Postulate is the perfect example of an irrational claim, so accepting it on faith is a giant leap to make. Never before done and not since. But here is the thing. Einstein never actually explains in his Paper WHY the 2nd Postulate is NOT irrational, (only "apparently" irrational) What he does do, is apply certain conclusions to the derivation of an equation, and then applies the equation, so that a math "problem", can be negated by the application of his equation. Trouble is, the "problem" is one that Einstein created in the first instance, by using the claim of the irrational 2nd Postulate! He literally created a math problem that did not exist until he applied his irrational 2nd postulate, then he offered his solution which was the artificial manipulation by an equation that is based on the same 2nd postulate. Like stealing 3 apples from a blind man, then coming to his rescue as the hero by giving him the same three apples back! This is just one example of the irrationality of the Hypothesis. There are other errors too. The Paper is a work of a clever deceiver, not a genius. He knew full well what he did. The GPS clock accuracy question has a solution even though SR is wrong. So in the end, Einstein want us to accept that the 2nd postulate is really rational, for the simple reason that Time, Distance and Mass are like silly putty and not stable features of the natural world like Newton believed. Sounds perfectly rational if you also believe in fairies and Santa.
Zorg

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Fenrir » Dec 03, 2023 9:31 am

If you are wanting to quibble about the words Einstein used to describe his postulates perhaps you need to do it in the original German?

I don't actually speak German so wouldn't know how translation treats it.

You never know, perhaps a native German or German-adjacent physicist might show up.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Zorg » Dec 03, 2023 10:02 am

Fenrir wrote:If you are wanting to quibble about the words Einstein used to describe his postulates perhaps you need to do it in the original German?

You never know, perhaps a native German or German-adjacent physicist might show up.

QUIBBLE? are you that really so stupid? I'm not QUIBBLING over meaningless words. Irrational is what the 2nd postulate is. This is not a quibble, but a MAJOR point. Einstein knew that it was incompatible with Newtons Laws.. Is that a moot point?

Is everyone here so dense? Where are the intelligent members?
Zorg

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#37  Postby THWOTH » Dec 03, 2023 11:30 am

Previously, on The Merry-go-round of Delights, THWOTH wrote:The argument/s of one party do not stand until another party demonstrates that they fail, and to suggest otherwise is to shift the burden(1). Shifting the burden presumes that a propositional statement is true because it has not yet been proven false, and is thus a common feature of the argument from ignorance(2). Furthermore, the implication that it is impossible for a propositional statement to be untrue and that there is no situation that has caused the statement to be false falls foul of logical modality(3) and of the weighted premise referred to as feathering the nest(4). A further presumption is implied: that the party forwarding an argument is the only proper party to adjudicate the validity of counter arguments, which is to assert that the party forwarding the propositional is a neutral arbiter(5), to erect spurious conditions upon the discussion(6) by which only the forwarding party can authenticate or declare counters conclusive, as well as to argue from a position of presumed authority(7).
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby THWOTH » Dec 03, 2023 12:02 pm

Fenrir wrote:If you are wanting to quibble about the words Einstein used to describe his postulates perhaps you need to do it in the original German?

I think they have more important things on at the moment, such as addressing the pressing issue of moss in the guttering.

But aye. That Einstein reconciles the apparently irreconcilable with such coherent and testable elegance is the true measure of his contribution to our understanding - not whether zorg approves of the language or comprehends the concepts or their ramifications. Tone policing Einstein is about as productive as tone policing Darwin, and we've seen how that plays out eh?
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 03, 2023 12:16 pm

Zorg wrote:

QUIBBLE? are you that really so stupid? I'm not QUIBBLING over meaningless words. Irrational is what the 2nd postulate is. This is not a quibble, but a MAJOR point. Einstein knew that it was incompatible with Newtons Laws.. Is that a moot point?

Is everyone here so dense? Where are the intelligent members?

You were whining about ad hominem attacks, Zorg? You do that shit, then have the balls to call a member stupid, dense, and unintelligent?

Time to reel that shit in, isn’t it Zorg?

I suggest you don’t possess the understanding of relativity you think you do. Remember, you’re the one here claiming Einstein’s theory of special relativity is wrong. Stunningly, you’re claiming that without any replacement to his theory, even going so far as to claim you’re not here to discuss maths. In other words, you are unable to explain phenomena that his theories explain quite well.

The offset in GPS clocks is simply an example where both special and general relativity are used to solve a problem. And, applying his theories solves the problem effectively and accurately. Yet, you admit to having no means yourself to solve that same problem without using Einstein’s “wrong” theory.

So, what’s to discuss? You claim Einstein was being “irrational”. Itself, a mathematical term.

It’s been a long time since I studied or applied his theories. Not since I was studying for my graduate degree. I’d have to go back and touch up on long unused concepts. Funny though, no where in those years of education was the idea that simply declaring some new idea to be irrational without support was sufficient academically.

I asked to see some of your published work, so we could assess your ideas. But, you have none, you confess. What you are left with is an expectation that we accept your claim of Einstein’s irrationality on simply your say so.

Science does not advance in such ways.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby romansh » Dec 03, 2023 5:54 pm

Zorg wrote:
romansh wrote:

Nice picture, but what has that to do with anything in this topic as outlined in the introduction? Can you speak English? Maybe try adding some words?

Thanks ... I thought you would have understood that E=MC^2 is outcome of Einstein's alleged irrationality, but one never knows.

While the Michelson Morley experiment does show that the velocities of the Earth's surface and that of light are not additive, thus eliminating the concept luminiferous aether, Nevertheless the two velocities are not additive, which is puzzling.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Physics