The Physics Of Snow Crystals

Just for you, Dev ... :-D

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The Physics Of Snow Crystals

#1  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 28, 2012 11:04 pm

A nice little paper I remembered in my collection, that one of our fellow members will have fun reading after it was tangentially mentioned in an entirely different thread ...

The Physics Of Snow Crystals by Kenneth G. Librecht, Reports on Progress in Physics, 68: 855-895 (2005) [Full paper downloadable from here].

Librecht, 2005 wrote:Abstract

We examine the physical mechanisms governing the formation of snow crystals, treating this problem as a case study of the dynamics of crystal growth from the vapour phase. Particular attention is given to the basic theoretical underpinnings of the subject, especially the interplay of particle diffusion, heat diffusion and surface attachment kinetics during crystal growth, as well as growth instabilities that have important effects on snow crystal development.

The first part of this review focuses on understanding the dramatic variations seen in snow crystal morphology as a function of temperature, a mystery that has remained largely unsolved since its discovery 75 years ago. To this end we examine the growth of simple hexagonal ice prisms in considerable detail, comparing crystal growth theory with laboratory measurements of growth rates under a broad range of conditions. This turns out to be a surprisingly rich problem, which ultimately originates from the unusual molecular structure of the ice surface and its sensitive dependence on temperature. With new clues from precision measurements of attachment kinetics, we are now just beginning to understand these structural changes at the ice surface and how they affect the crystal growth process. We also touch upon the mostly unexplored topic of how dilute chemical impurities can greatly alter the growth of snow crystals.

The second part of this review examines pattern formation in snow crystals, with special emphasis on the growth of snow crystal dendrites. Again we treat this as a case study of the more general problem of dendritic growth during diffusion-limited solidification. Since snow crystals grow from the vapour, we can apply dendrite theory in the simplified slow-growth limit where attachment kinetics dominates over capillarity in selecting the tip velocity. Although faceting is quite pronounced in these structures, many aspects of the formation of snow crystal dendrites are fairly well described using a theoretical treatment that does not explicitly incorporate faceting. We also describe electrically modified ice dendrite growth, which produces some novel needle-like structures.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Physics Of Snow Crystals

#2  Postby campermon » Jul 28, 2012 11:08 pm

No no!!!!

God creates every snowflake!!

srsly - nice link Cali :thumbup:

edit - I remember using it a few years ago whilst having a discussion with some cretinist! :cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 28, 2012 11:10 pm

From the same author, we also have:

Morphogenesis On Ice: The Physics Of Snow Crystals by Kenneth G. Librecht, Engineering & Science, 1: 10-19 (2001) [Full paper downloadable from here]

Librecht, 2001 wrote:Nearly everyone is familiar with snow crystals—tiny flakes of ice, remarkably crafted into intricate six-fold symmetric patterns, common icons of ski sweaters and holiday shopping malls. But exactly how do snow crystals develop into such intricate, symmetrical shapes? Where is the sculptor that creates these miniature masterpieces of frozen water, quite literally out of thin air? In my lab at Caltech we have been trying to answer these questions, and more general ones relating to the materials science of crystal growth and the underlying physics of morphogenesis, or pattern formation. And what we’re finding is that there’s a world of interesting and sometimes puzzling physics in snow crystals and how they form, much of which derives from the unique surface properties of ice.

Many people think that snow crystals are made from frozen raindrops, but they’re not—rather they grow from water in the gaseous state. In the cold atmosphere above us, this water vapor condenses directly to form solid ice. The process begins with some nucleus, typically a tiny dust grain, to which water molecules can easily attach. If the humidity of the air is above 100 percent (the air is then said to be supersaturated), water molecules freeze onto the dust nucleus, forming a tiny piece of ice, which subsequently grows into a snow crystal as more water molecules condense out of the air. The intricate patterns we see are the result of just how water molecules selectively attach to the growing crystal.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby devogue » Jul 28, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks for that, Cali. It's just after 11am here in NZ, the kids are running riot and I'm doing research to help my wife with her Social Work Post Graduate thingy.

When I pour a glass of wine later this evening I shall indulge in snowflakery of the highest order! :cheers:
It's PETUNIAS TIME again, folks!!!

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

#5  Postby campermon » Jul 28, 2012 11:14 pm

devogue wrote:Thanks for that, Cali. It's just after 11am here in NZ, the kids are running riot and I'm doing research to help my wife with her Social Work Post Graduate thingy.

When I pour a glass of wine later this evening I shall indulge in snowflakery of the highest order! :cheers:

NZ?

i thought you were from Northern Ireland?

*sorry for being OT*
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby devogue » Jul 28, 2012 11:18 pm

campermon wrote:
devogue wrote:Thanks for that, Cali. It's just after 11am here in NZ, the kids are running riot and I'm doing research to help my wife with her Social Work Post Graduate thingy.

NZ?

*sorry for being OT*

Emigrated last year.

Was sick of snow crystals. :mrgreen:

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

#7  Postby campermon » Jul 28, 2012 11:19 pm

devogue wrote:
campermon wrote:

NZ?

*sorry for being OT*

Emigrated last year.

Was sick of snow crystals. :mrgreen:

:awesome:

:thumbup:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby surreptitious57 » Jul 29, 2012 11:27 am

You're not the only one. LucidFlight, who is from Scotland, lives In Australia. What is this? Geographical musical chairs? Well I am from Birmingham, live In Birmingham, have lived in Birmingham and shall continue to live in Birmingham all me Birmingham life. And then I am going to be cremated. In Birmingham.
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#9  Postby devogue » Jul 29, 2012 12:25 pm

Alabama?

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

#10  Postby twistor59 » Jul 29, 2012 1:06 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:You're not the only one. LucidFlight, who is from Scotland, lives In Australia. What is this? Geographical musical chairs? Well I am from Birmingham, live In Birmingham, have lived in Birmingham and shall continue to live in Birmingham all me Birmingham life. And then I am going to be cremated. In Birmingham.

Did you know Meg Richardson and David Hunter?
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby John P. M. » Jul 29, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks - goes well with my avatar. :)